八紘一宇 - Hakkō Ichiu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Korea is... content enough, I suppose. There's still a lot of pull for independence, but the relatively low-levels of oppression by the Japanese, and the expansion of Japanese markets to allow for Korean capitalist ventures has made Seoul's relationship to Tokyo far less contentious. Many of the political conservative folks have stepped off the gas pedal for independence as a result.

Is there any chance of the Japanese government moving their capital from Tokyo to Seoul? (I guess Seoul would be renamed Saikyo if this happened).

The Japanese capital moved around quite a lot in history, and I see no obvious reason why it couldn't move again.

Asami

Banned
Is there any chance of the Japanese government moving their capital from Tokyo to Seoul? (I guess Seoul would be renamed Saikyo if this happened).

The Japanese capital moved around quite a lot in history, and I see no obvious reason why it couldn't move again.

I don't think that'll ever happen. Even if racist overtones are diminishing and the Japanese are being more accepting, I don't see Japan actually moving their capital off of the Japanese Home Islands. Particularly to Korea, which is still a colony.

I just don't see the Emperor, nor the government, really accepting such a concept.

Tokyo became the capital of Japan in 1869 because it was the cultural center of the Japanese nation. I don't really see Seoul taking up that function enough to warrant a change in capital, particularly as the real concentration of power (Government and Imperial) remains in Tokyo.

Just having powerful business interests in Seoul will not be enough to pull the capital over.

Asami

Banned
FYI, at this point in time, Seoul is still known as Gyeongseong or Keijo, as proclaimed by the Japanese administrators in 1910. The name 'Seoul' did not come into use, afaik, until the U.S.-Soviet occupation of the Peninsula in 1945.

FYI, at this point in time, Seoul is still known as Gyeongseong or Keijo, as proclaimed by the Japanese administrators in 1910. The name 'Seoul' did not come into use, afaik, until the U.S.-Soviet occupation of the Peninsula in 1945.
Perhaps, there use of those two names depends on wherever you are in Japan.

Anyways, is the sentiment for independence stronger in other areas than, let's say Keijo?

Hey Asami, did the Great Emu War still happen?

Tweet tweet motherfucker!!! :D

remember-the-time-australia-declared-war-on-emus-and-lost-x-photos-2.png

vs.
maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think that'll ever happen. Even if racist overtones are diminishing and the Japanese are being more accepting, I don't see Japan actually moving their capital off of the Japanese Home Islands. Particularly to Korea, which is still a colony.

I just don't see the Emperor, nor the government, really accepting such a concept.

Tokyo became the capital of Japan in 1869 because it was the cultural center of the Japanese nation. I don't really see Seoul taking up that function enough to warrant a change in capital, particularly as the real concentration of power (Government and Imperial) remains in Tokyo.

Just having powerful business interests in Seoul will not be enough to pull the capital over.
Good point.

I suppose the reasons for moving the capital would be:

If Japan is going to be projecting its influence into Asia, then Seoul is a more central location than Tokyo;

As a gesture to try to win over the loyalty of the Koreans;

And as a message, saying that Japan is bigger than just the home islands, and that the Korean peninsula will be forever Japanese.

Having said that, I get why racism would probably prevent the Japanese government from moving to a "non-Japanese" city.

I am keen to see the Army put in it's place, though I love the ruthlessness it displays. They are the servants of the Emperor, not his executors.

Status
Not open for further replies.