Not open for further replies.
26. Westminster and Home Rule

Asami

Banned
ALPbw4F.png

Flag of the Dominion of Nigeria

26. ウェストミンスターとホームルール
Westminster and Home Rule

The most well-known 'shift' in relations between the United Kingdom and her colonies occurred in 1931 with the passage of the Statute of Westminster by the British parliament. This act formally ratified the idea that Britain was giving her colonies further freedom to enact their own laws and statutes; and making Acts of Parliament no longer immediately apply to those independent Dominions.

No Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom passed after the commencement of this Act shall extend, or be deemed to extend, to a Dominion as part of the law of that Dominion, unless it is expressly declared in that Act that that Dominion has requested, and consented to, the enactment thereof.

No law and no provision of any law made after the commencement of this Act by the Parliament of a Dominion shall be void or inoperative on the ground that it is repugnant to the Law of England, or to the provisions of any existing or future Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom, or to any order, rule or regulation made under any such Act, and the powers of the Parliament of a Dominion shall include the power to repeal or amend any such Act, order, rule or regulation in so far as the same is part of the law of the Dominion.

Upon ratification of the act, it went into effect for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Newfoundland, and South Africa; the five major British dominions that existed at the time of the act's ratification. Many Irish nationalists agitated against the Statute, as it meant that Ireland, which had been treated as a second-class asset of the British Empire for generations, was less free than the colonies that their people had helped raise up from agrarian villages into bustling cities.

The Statute of Westminster set the stage for the ratification of the Home Rule Act of 1933, two years later. During this period, the Belloc government was beginning to debate the merits of certain states being given a measure of freedom from Britain's grasp, in exchange for oaths of loyalty and affirmations that the Commonwealth would be left sundered by the years.

The first of these states was Nigeria. One of Britain's most advanced 'black' colonies, Nigeria was, in many eyes, seen as a prime example of British 'uplifting'. It was decided that as an experiment to see how African self-governing could fare, Nigeria would be made into a Dominion in much the same vein as Canada. A shocking decision on Britain's part, but with an empire overextending and the economy beginning to run out of the steam it had gained in the 1920s, Belloc's government felt justified in giving one of Britain's most 'model' African colonies some measure of self-determination. This flamed some resentment in their other colonies which were not given self-determination.

The first post-'Dominion' elections held called for the election of the 120 seats of the Nigerian parliament. In the election, 105 seats were won by the National Party, with the remaining 15 seats won by the Party for African Brotherhood; a nationalist party that wanted independence from Britain completely, with the abolition of the Governor-General's position as the 'regent' for King George V.

This was followed by the cession of the Bechuanaland colony to the Union of South Africa--a move that had been delayed consistently in the last 23 years, but had finally been decided on. This lessened the British burden in Africa and allowed them to redistribute assets and resources to some of their new protectorates in the Middle East.

And finally, old Ireland, Britain's first colony and long-time 'red-headed stepchild', was allowed to organize to Home Rule. Elections were held in each of the 'counties' of Ireland to determine which would go with the new dominion, and which would remain directly integrated into the United Kingdom. The counties of Antrim, Down, Armagh, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Londonderry and Donegal voted to remain within the United Kingdom, while the remainder of Ireland from Monaghan to Cork, voted to join the Dominion of Ireland.

Within the United Kingdom, the loss of the Irish seats meant that the Irish Parliamentary Party was now effectively defunct as an entity, and Arthur Griffith invested the effort to set up his party as the natural leader of the new Irish dominion.

After the partition, the United Kingdom parliament shed several dozen seats to make up the difference; bringing the total number of seats in Parliament to 619. The next election in 1934, would definitely cause a shift in politics; While the former Sinn Fein remnants certainly had support amongst many people in County Donegal, there was a significant push for 'normalcy', and many Donegal voters would swing for National Mobilization, or even Labour in some instances. Irish independence damaged the standing of Prime Minister Belloc, but despite this, many people supported Irish home rule entirely on the premise that it was time for Britain to let Ireland breathe just a little bit so Britain could focus on other things.

Last edited:
To be fair, with the amount of PODs in this timeline, I think even a very well versed guy would have a hard time.

Retention of A-J Alliance along with possible better relations with future US. Probably means a stronger Sempill mission so Hosho remains on schedule.

Crackdown on rampant militarism but a very chaotic situation on the Asian mainland despite a somewhat more hands-off China policy.

Navy possibly in Emperor's favor due to its past actions in putting down coup but deployment of IJA would necessitate a fair amount of the budget going to operations also (which means re-allocating from the IJA modernizations, or the IJN's budget).

Sans-WNT, the first half of the 8-8 fleet probably doesn't get canceled, but we'd still lose Amagi to the quake leaving an unbalanced fleet of 5 battlecruisers and 8 battleships (not to mention I'm not even sure Japan's economy could handle those 3). The lack of carrier conversions could be another effect not to mention the various butterflies to the USN and Royal Navy.

Last edited:
Side-Update 1

Asami

Banned
b1b811525e248c660e09e04e6ca49c8c.jpg

Side-Update: Responsibilities of Ruling
On April 4th, 1931, the Governor-General of Canada, The Viscount Willingdon, resigned his commission as Governor-General to accept a noble title and return to the United Kingdom after years of service to the Empire in her most far-flung territories. The sudden vacancy of the office of Governor-General allowed for His Majesty, King George V, to finally implement a plan he had been formulating for some time. He summoned his second son, Albert, Duke of York to meet with him, and to bring the Duchess and his two daughters as well.

It was there, that the King announced that he was appointing Albert to be the new Governor-General of the Dominion of Canada. He had already spoken to the Prime Minister of Canada at great length about the idea, and said it would do the stuttering Prince well to take on some responsibilities for governing one of Britain's greatest Dominions. Albert was initially hesitant to accept, but after the Duchess removed the five-year-old Princess Alexandrina[1] and infant Princess Elizabeth[2] from the room, the King's jovial demeanor dropped, and he addressed his stuttering son with a firm word.

According to the late King's memoirs, George V recounted the meeting:

'Bertie's hesitation was understandable, and after the departure of his lovely wife and his two daughters, I dropped the facade and addressed him directly.

I told him my fears--the fears of the Empire's undoing beneath his brother. It was no secret in this time of Edward's cavorting and horrendous behavior. If Edward was to fail in his duties as King, would Albert be ready for that responsibility? Albert needed to know the responsibilities of ruling so that he could understand what his brother never would. Albert questioned this, asking why I did not send the Prince of Wales off to learn this responsibility, and I responded with what I knew--that Edward would never change.'

- King George V, private document written in 1935, published 1977
Some weeks later, the Duke of York arrived on the shores of Halifax, Nova Scotia, and proceeded to the capital of Canada to take up his new role. He was congratulated and welcomed by Prime Minister Bennett. For Albert, his role as Governor-General would form a lasting effect on his views of the world; and would have an even greater effect on those of his daughter, Alexandrina, whose formative years were spent in Canada with her father, mother and sister.

The Duke committed himself publicly to service to the Empire, and to Canada; but behind closed doors, in many correspondences to his friends in Britain, and his wife, he expressed his overwhelming fear of failure, and his hesitance.

[1] Princess Alexandrina was born in 1926; and is the OTL Queen Elizabeth II.
[2] Princess Elizabeth was born in 1931, and is the OTL Princess Margaret.

1) announce that all Muslims resident in Algeria must either convert or be expelled. If it works, then that would guarantee France's internal security. Seems very risky though, as there's a good chance of a large rebellion.
2) Incorporate French West Africa into France (ending its status as being a bunch of colonies); give citizenship to all Christian and Jewish natives that speak French. Pros: it's probably easier to assimilate Christians into French culture than it is to assimilate Muslims, and it would significantly raise the number of loyal citizens. Cons: the (Algerian) French government probably isn't keen on enfranchising millions of black people.

3) Making a partial integration of the Algerian Arabs: those with degrees or those deemed more related to the French culture (speaking French), along with some other colonies, might be made French citizens.

The first post-'Dominion' elections held called for the election of the 120 seats of the Nigerian parliament. In the election, 105 seats were won by the National Party, with the remaining 15 seats won by the Party for African Brotherhood; a nationalist party that wanted independence from Britain completely, with the abolition of the Governor-General's position as the 'regent' for King George V.

This was followed by the cession of the Bechuanaland colony to the Union of South Africa--a move that had been delayed consistently in the last 23 years, but had finally been decided on. This lessened the British burden in Africa and allowed them to redistribute assets and resources to some of their new protectorates in the Middle East.

Has Britain set up census suffrage in these new Dominions because some in London are fearing the poorer sections of the population might vote Communist?

Meanwhile, if South Africa is to be enlarged, and if Boer nationalism isn't as proeminent as OTL, might Southern Rhodesia join? And what about race relations?

The Duke committed himself publicly to service to the Empire, and to Canada; but behind closed doors, in many correspondences to his friends in Britain, and his wife, he expressed his overwhelming fear of failure, and his hesitance.

Sending princes serve as general governors in the dominions might preserve the links intra-Commonwealth.

Asami

Banned
3) Making a partial integration of the Algerian Arabs: those with degrees or those deemed more related to the French culture (speaking French), along with some other colonies, might be made French citizens.

Maybe put a French literacy and fluency requirement for the Algerian Arabs.

Has Britain set up census suffrage in these new Dominions because some in London are fearing the poorer sections of the population might vote Communist?

The only new 'dominions' are Ireland and Nigeria; and neither one has census suffrage. Maybe South Africa does (being South Africa), but Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Nigeria, and Newfoundland all have universal sufferage as OTL.

Sending princes serve as general governors in the dominions might preserve the links intra-Commonwealth.

Quite, but Albert is a man who doesn't seek higher power. He never wanted to be King IOTL, and he doesn't really want to be Governor-General here, but he does so because his father wills it.

I am started to fear the English chewed a bit more than they could have TTL; even if acting reasonably so far they are too far overextended, in the sense creating more dominions can surely help but they have too many enemies I mean I am guessing Greeks Bulgars and Turkey are not happy about British Thrace and neither the Russians to say the least; and well I don't know why I would secretly hope for a disgraceful fall from grace for Britain (albeit hardly would happen here but is fine). Maybe because I want a Japan wank in contrast of a British screw?

I am started to fear the English chewed a bit more than they could have TTL; even if acting reasonably so far they are too far overextended, in the sense creating more dominions can surely help but they have too many enemies I mean I am guessing Greeks Bulgars and Turkey are not happy about British Thrace and neither the Russians to say the least; and well I don't know why I would secretly hope for a disgraceful fall from grace for Britain (albeit hardly would happen here but is fine). Maybe because I want a Japan wank in contrast of a British screw?
British rule of Thrace is the second-best option for everyone. Greeks in Thrace would want to be part of Greece, but being ruled by Britain is better than being ruled by Bulgaria or Turkey. Similar situation from the perspectives of the Bulgarians and the Turks. So I don't imagine there will be massive opposition to British rule.

Hmm. A thought about Thrace. Britain wants it to be multiethnic, so I wonder if they'll allow Japanese immigration to Thrace. That would be interesting...

British rule of Thrace is the second-best option for everyone. Greeks in Thrace would want to be part of Greece, but being ruled by Britain is better than being ruled by Bulgaria or Turkey. Similar situation from the perspectives of the Bulgarians and the Turks. So I don't imagine there will be massive opposition to British rule.

Hmm. A thought about Thrace. Britain wants it to be multiethnic, so I wonder if they'll allow Japanese immigration to Thrace. That would be interesting...

Maybe during British rule or upon independence, they'd adopt English as a neutral auxiliary language between the various ethnic groups like Singapore does? Thrace-as-Singapore is pretty appealing actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.