Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond

My sincere thanks for the praise! And I remain grateful to those who have voted! And subtly hint for more votes of course :biggrin:

Thank you! I'm thrilled you're enjoying this piece so far - and that you find it in depth! I'm hoping to make 1866 an exciting year, but one finished much more quickly than others! I have some thoughts on how to round it out properly!

The 1866 midterms will be interesting, as to put it mildly we are watching a slow collapse of the existing party system thanks to the ideological contradictions brought on by the war. So where people will see Democrat they may not necessarily be seeing men who are Democrats vs, well, something else. The Radical Democracy Party is going to make a showing too, though how much to the detriment of the Republicans I have yet to decide!
I get a weird feeling that the Republican Party would likely fracture post war with a loss, they were a super young party and from the people’s point of view lost 2 wars through sheer incompetence. But the Democrats are also super super divided so this should be a wild election for the United States but I’m also just as excited for the Confederate election especially in this timeline

The history of Canadian industry fascinates me, and I have plans for some changes, and for the Maritimes some big changes with their ability to not be pushed around in the Senate.
I will be watching this with great interest!
I am perhaps (thankfully) mostly unaware of his history! From the sounds of it maybe he needs to suffer an accident.
Long story short:

Theodore Cooper, of the Phoenix Bridge Company, was chief consultant engineer on the project. During the making of the plans for the bridge, he lenghtened the central span by 200 feet (incidentally making him chief of the world's longest cantilever bridge project). Cooper never set foot in Québec City after the construction started, continuously attributed the bending of the structure to the beams manufacturer and when finally agreeing to stop the work, sent the message to Phoenix instead of the construction site. Of course, the company HQ then failed to immediately wire the info north and that same day the bridge collapsed into the river.

To be fair, the whole thing is not only his fault, there was the usual sprinkling of corruption, bad leadership and personnal greed you usually find in these events, but let's just say the man didn't help...

Some years ago during Covid I read On Cold Iron from Dan Levert about the collapse of the Québec bridge and IMHO, Cooper was past his prime, he was probably a competent engineer but the project was too big both for him and the company. The impression I got from the book is that it should have been obvious to contemporary observers.

I get a weird feeling that the Republican Party would likely fracture post war with a loss, they were a super young party and from the people’s point of view lost 2 wars through sheer incompetence. But the Democrats are also super super divided so this should be a wild election for the United States but I’m also just as excited for the Confederate election especially in this timeline

I see them fracturing, but not out and out ceasing to exist. They had just enough policy unrelated to the war that they could survive IMO. The Radical Democracy Party however now has a leg to stand on with a more militant foreign policy and a general attitude of internal liberty (plus some fiscal policy I will elaborate on) which leaves them as a viable alternative.

The Democrats are, in theory, fine after they won the election. It's something of a mirage though as I hope I've shown, with them having deep fissures on the peace process, and inevitably on post-war issues. There's a lot of hostility in the air between the two sides, and just enough men are angry at how McClellan handled things that they'd rather schism with the main party than vote for him again.

The Confederate election will be more difficult as there are no parties to speak of in the Confederacy. Broadly speaking almost all the key players in the Confederacy were Democrats, which means they have some party structure but not too much of one. The absence of party machinery will be interesting in getting the election going.

I see them fracturing, but not out and out ceasing to exist. They had just enough policy unrelated to the war that they could survive IMO. The Radical Democracy Party however now has a leg to stand on with a more militant foreign policy and a general attitude of internal liberty (plus some fiscal policy I will elaborate on) which leaves them as a viable alternative.

The Democrats are, in theory, fine after they won the election. It's something of a mirage though as I hope I've shown, with them having deep fissures on the peace process, and inevitably on post-war issues. There's a lot of hostility in the air between the two sides, and just enough men are angry at how McClellan handled things that they'd rather schism with the main party than vote for him again.

The Confederate election will be more difficult as there are no parties to speak of in the Confederacy. Broadly speaking almost all the key players in the Confederacy were Democrats, which means they have some party structure but not too much of one. The absence of party machinery will be interesting in getting the election going.
Will Robert E. Lee be running for President or will he bow to the reality of his health declining and simply retire into private life? I’m also incredibly curious about how David’s enemies will target him now that he’s lead the nation to victory in the War of Secession

Will Robert E. Lee be running for President or will he bow to the reality of his health declining and simply retire into private life? I’m also incredibly curious about how David’s enemies will target him now that he’s lead the nation to victory in the War of Secession

A small spoiler but Lee will not be running for president, though nobody else believes that so the 1867 Confederate election will be slapdash for all sides...

Davis's legacy will be complicated. His peace years from 1866-67 will studied, but his opponents will insist that the Confederacy won in spite of his leadership, not because of it. He will have successors who will argue otherwise, but overall he's not going to be lionized like Washington was, that's for sure. Expect more credit to go to men like Lee, Jackson, Johnston and Breckinridge.

I wonder what it is…
Is it something like what Greenback Party wanted, a currency with no gold reserve?
Or is it something completely different?

Some will advocate for that, but I will not yet elaborate on who... there's different monetary factions who will emerge in the Era of Hard Feelings.

Davis's legacy will be complicated. His peace years from 1866-67 will studied, but his opponents will insist that the Confederacy won in spite of his leadership, not because of it. He will have successors who will argue otherwise, but overall he's not going to be lionized like Washington was, that's for sure. Expect more credit to go to men like Lee, Jackson, Johnston and Breckinridge.
I can definitely see the Georgia clique and others attempt such a thing against Davis, for all his inflexible faults and "despotism".

Nonetheless, in hindsight, although your writing remained ambiguous as to the final outcome, the appointment of Breckinridge as War-Secretary, as a statesman, and not a "glorified clerk", in ATL January 1864, with the Confederacy still occupying the line of the Potomac and Kentucky instead that of the Rapidan and Georgia, with its ports still very much open to foreign vessels and aid, its railroads in better condition and repair, and its "seat of vitality", the Mississippi Valley, safeguarded by the world's premier riverine navy, ultimate Confederate success should have seemed quite likely, so long as the North grew disconsolate at sacrificing blood and treasure. Systemic improvements in the Confederate commissary would have relieved much of Lee's anxiety in particular.

In any case, Breckinridge, who was never really permitted to develop as a statesman, is my favorite as far as the contest of '67 goes, especially now that Kentucky has thrown its lot in with the South.

Well looks like the poll is closed now, so let me congratulate you on your Turtledove victory @EnglishCanuck! Very well deserved!

Well this is a pleasant surprise then! A, perhaps premature congratulations to everyone! Readers especially, and to all who voted of course! Readers and commentors keep this piece going! Thanks to all who have read and posted, you've kept this piece going!

New chapter incoming soon!

Well this is a pleasant surprise then! A, perhaps premature congratulations to everyone! Readers especially, and to all who voted of course! Readers and commentors keep this piece going! Thanks to all who have read and posted, you've kept this piece going!

I was proud to have nominated it, and elated to see the results! This TL truly deserved the award.

Very well deserved my friend. In my opinion, this award should have been given to you years ago. In my humble opinion, this is one of the best TLs this site has ever produced.

Congratulations and, as always, I look very forward to what comes next in this TL.

I was proud to have nominated it, and elated to see the results! This TL truly deserved the award.

Congratulations! Also fitting, as the story has reached the end of the war itself and is only opening into the 'and beyond' period.

Very well deserved my friend. In my opinion, this award should have been given to you years ago. In my humble opinion, this is one of the best TLs this site has ever produced.

Congratulations and, as always, I look very forward to what comes next in this TL.

Exactly what I was thinking!
A very well-deserved award that comes at a cornerstone of the story!
Congratulations @EnglishCanuck !

Vast and infinite thanks for all the congratulations! Thank you all for your votes and sticking with TTL for so long! it's meant so much to me over the years!

Truth be told none of this would be possible without you all!