Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond

Chapter 122: Green Banner Blues
Chapter 122: Green Banner Blues

“The Fenian movement in North America had been born, like the strong German labor tradition, from the mass migration of Irish immigrants after the Great Famine and then failed Young Irelander Rebellion of 1848. Millions of Irish had fled the famine and tens of thousands had chosen to go into exile as Britain cracked down on the rebels in the aftermath. The two most prominent organizers of the Fenian Brotherhood in North America were John O’Mahoney and Michael Dahoney.

O’Mahoney was an emigrant who had fled to Paris and then America after 1848, and had taken pride in writing many works of Gaelic studies while abroad, advocating the Irish identity. As one of the more militant founding members of the Fenian Brotherhood he had served with the 69th Regiment of New York Militia and then in the Irish Brigade in 1862 where he saw combat against the British on the Richelieu. However, he was wounded in late 1862 and resigned to encourage Irish recruitment in the war.

800px-John_Francis_O%27Mahony%2C_with_coat_%28cropped%29.jpg

O'Mahoney in 1865

…Doheny’s untimely death in 1862[1] placed the future of the Fenian movement firmly in the hands of radicalized militants. Men like Sweeney, Meagher and Corcoran all egged the movement in the militant direction, seeking another confrontation with Britain. O’Mahoney was particularly vocal in his condemnation of the Republican Party’s ‘capitulation’ to the British, and picked up on a popular strain of Anglophobic feeling after the war in 1865. This caused the ranks of the Fenians to swell, partially with embittered veterans, but also immigrants who felt that they had something to gain by supporting the independence of their homeland from abroad.

However, not all members of the Fenians were equally as gung ho. William B. Roberts, an Irish dry goods merchant closely allied with the Democratic Party machine in New York, saw any effort to strike Britain head on as lunacy. He wanted to work with the United States to pressure the British government into Irish concessions, not start a war which they had no chance of winning. Many sympathized with Roberts view as, after all, if the United States engaged in a direct conflict on its doorstep had not defeated Britain, how could they hope to assist in a conflict across the Atlantic?

In this he had the support of James Stephens, the chief organizer who resided in alternatively in Paris and New York. Broadly respected by the Irish community on both sides of the Atlantic, he was a proponent of an “Ireland First” strategy, believing that a spontaneous rising in Ireland could throw off the British yoke, and had no reason to wish war with America and Britain again. Indeed, he believed the United States must be a neutral arbiter in the conflict, which would allow a secessionist Ireland to go the way of the Confederacy and proclaim independence if enough pressure could be brought to bear on London from the Continent and across the Atlantic.

To that end he used the newspaper The Irish People as a mouthpiece for both the Fenian Brotherhood and to support the cause of Irish independence in general…

In 1866 real anger existed in the Fenian leadership as a schism between the wing which supported Roberts and Stephens wished to focus on Ireland itself and the O’Mahoney wing wished to bring about a conflict with the United States. The Roberts faction wanted any funds and weapons collected to be discretely shipped to Ireland itself to facilitate another rising. O’Mahoney believed that a new war in North America would sufficiently weaken Britain to the point that the Irish garrison could be drawn down which would allow the rebels to succeed. Debates in New York that summer would focus on bringing some unity, but both sides would find their hand forced by issues neither had anticipated.

Discontent with the ceding of Aroostook and other portions of Maine had become a rallying cry for the Democratic Party in that state, but one also taken up by proponents of the Radical Democracy Party looking to win influence in the senate. Running for the State Senate in New York was former commander Michael Corcoran, which made his decision to “go stumping” for his fellow Democrats in Maine an odd decision. However, he came among over two thousand other “seasonal workers, lumbermen, and sightseers” from other parts of New England that year, and in an astonishing coincidence, all these men were of Irish heritage and most had fought in an Irish unit of one extraction or another in the late war. Some would, correctly, suspect that this was less an accident and more a vague plan.

If anything the mooted Aroostook invasion of 1866 organized by Sweeney and Corcoran was merely a test run for later events to gage the strength of any call out of militant Fenians, while also seeing how far they could get under the nose of American politicians. Maine itself was then gripped in a struggle between the Radical Democrat leaning Fessenden family and the Democratic Party under Eben Pilsbury, and Corcoran believed he could use a raid at “Occupied Aroostook” to increase the Democrats standing. Certainly the local Democratic machine had no reason to expose his activities, and indeed hundreds of sympathetic Mainemen would eventually rally to the Green banner in August of 1866…

Unlike along the northern frontier in Quebec and Ontario, the Kingdom of Canada did not have a robust intelligence network along the forested Maine - New Brunswick border. The reasons for this can be attributed to bot negligence on the part of Ottawa, but also an overreliance on the British military for the safety of that part of the frontier. Major General Hastings Doyle had been in command for close to six years, and in 1866 was expecting to rotate out to Malta for a new posting after his service during the war. As such he’d largely come to believe the frontier was a settled matter, and with a regiment of British cavalry (in reality only four troops on the frontier proper) two regiments of infantry in New Brunswick itself, with the 1/17th along the immediate border, and a battery of artillery ready for action in Fredericton, he believed he had little to worry about with over 2,000 men at his disposal.

This was further backed up by the presence of the New Brunswick militia. On the border companies were rotated in during the summer months, usually understrength and primarily to act as a backup to the regular provosts patrolling the various camps. This meant that unlike their regular counterparts, they rarely numbered above 400 along the frontier itself. They were led by Col. William T. Baird[2], who acted as a jack of all trades for the regulars as a staff officer and leading the local militia companies. He had served in the region all through the War of 1862, acting largely in a staff and local command capacity. With an extensive series of connections and experience along the border, Baird was probably the best man to confront the coming troubles.

Baird.jpg

Baird in 1870

On August 3rd, Baird began receiving reports of large “hunting parties” along the frontier, many men in mismatched blue uniforms and other accouterments apparently cast off from the US Army. Baird reported this to his immediate superior who did not take the news with any sense of alarm. Doyle, himself in Halifax at the time, received the news with detachment, merely instructing his local commanders to “be alert” for any potential trouble, but clearly expecting little. As news of the buildup of progressively larger parties between the 3rd and 7th reached Baird’s headquarters, he did what he could by calling up local companies with permission and sounding an alarm all along the frontier.

On August 8th, large bands of armed men approached the British stockades along the border as it now existed. Though there was no fighting, this all proved to be a feint for the larger of the Fenian plans.

Five boats, bearing some 400 armed Fenians, landed on the night of August 9th on Grand Manan Island. The island itself had only a customs house and a single Royal Navy officer acting as a lighthouse inspector. The facilities were immediately captured without bloodshed and the Green Banner bearing a golden harp was unfurled and the assembled men proclaimed that the island had "liberated" from British rule and annexed to the Free Irish Republic.

Once the news was broadcast to Halifax later that day, Doyle dispatched three warships and 700 men to drive the Fenians off. On August 10th, the Fenians beat a hasty retreat, destroying the lighthouse and burning the customs houses and other government property. On the Aroostook border itself there was a brief exchange of gunfire that day, but the appearance of Federal troops later that day restored order. Men faded back to their homes, and no charges were ever laid against any suspected leaders. Despite not being officially identified as the leader at Grand Manan, Michael Corcoran would be lauded in Irish friendly press for the “brief but heroic annexation” in solidarity with the oppressed people of the United States under the British yoke.

The immediate consequences were pointed questions between London and Washington, with Secretary of State Seymour denying any knowledge of the Fenian plot. London, outraged at the violation of their new territory, demanded an investigation. Inevitably a sluggish inquiry began, but not in time to preempt the events of 1867…

In the respective national presses, the event was more regarded as a debacle than a true invasion. The Toronto Globe lampooned the character of the “ignorant Irish” on a crusade against the new Kingdom based purely on “Yankee demagoguery” while praising the work of the Canadian militia who in truth played a very small role. The New Brunswick Reporter was equally anxious to praise the brave volunteers. In Ottawa, Macdonald quickly praised the brave men who had abandoned home and hearth to once again protect their homes. Privately of course, he would cease to take the threat quite so seriously as a political problem.

For all the derring do, Corcoran’s political scheme did not pay off. James D. Fessenden would win the gubernatorial election that year, and in 1867, pushing the Radical Democracy Party into national politics through their influence.

At the Fenian meetings in New York, the news of the invasion stoked a national furor. There were demands from partisans of both wings that some sort of invasion should be mounted into Canada. News from Ireland itself showed that most Fenians there were publicly sympathetic, and rumours that more soldiers were being dispatched from Britain itself to address the potential problem seemed to confirm all the views of the O’Mahoney wing. Reluctantly Roberts and Stephens would back the plans for a Canadian invasion, but only so long as enough arms and ammunition could be delivered to Ireland itself to sustain a rising. O’Mahoney, whose militants were already well armed, readily agreed. A rising in Ireland, complemented by an emergency in North America, was sure to split British attention and increase the chances of a free Ireland…” - The Emergency of 1867, Howard Senior, 1986

----
1] He died suddenly OTL too, and probably a good thing for the Fenians. Was a bit too fond of settling disputes with his fists.

2] A guy who I did want to give more attention to in WiF. He was an unsung hero of early Canadian military prepardness, and it was quite a shame he never got to shine! He did similar in the Fenian raids OTL, but here he gets a bit more action and will get some acclaim.

Last edited:
I'm sure their plan will go off without a hitch and Ireland will soon be free. /s

Considering how well the Fenian raids went with a less militant Canada... it's certainly ambitious.

Well, this promises to be a disaster for many reasons. I can't think that many in the upper halls of power in America are going to appreciate this stunt either. Just promises to be bad all round.

I'm sure their plan will go off without a hitch and Ireland will soon be free. /s

Considering how well the Fenian raids went with a less militant Canada... it's certainly ambitious.

It's all gonna come up gravy for sure!

That said, there's a little more twisted logic that at a surface level makes sense here. They just watched the Confederacy gain its independence through help from foreign influence. There's also a lot of pent up anger with Britain, which means that many men in government have (and will) turn a blind eye to Fenian organizing, and they're making money off of selling army surplus to Fenian groups. There's certainly incentive to "twist the lion's tail" in many circles.

You're correct though in assessing that a more militant Canada is way less likely to take this laying down!

Well, this promises to be a disaster for many reasons. I can't think that many in the upper halls of power in America are going to appreciate this stunt either. Just promises to be bad all round.

Considering part of this whole invasion scheme was to whip up support for Democrats in Maine and they lost anyways... well that certainly doesn't augur well for it as a political position!

But... Grand Manan had always been British, according to Wiki. The US had initially claimed it, but Jay' Treaty let it to the Brits, and this was reaffirmed later.

But... Grand Manan had always been British, according to Wiki. The US had initially claimed it, but Jay' Treaty let it to the Brits, and this was reaffirmed later.

Fantastic catch thank you! That will teach me to not look at political borders! Edit time! (Though that is actually waaaay more convenient for the narrative too!)

Fantastic catch thank you! That will teach me to not look at political borders! Edit time! (Though that is actually waaaay more convenient for the narrative too!)
Use Wiki liberally. While much maligned, it's a treasure trove on many subjects. I've written my novel plundering it.

Well, I guess that's it.

Ireland will be free and the whole British Empire shall crumble like an house of cards.

Perhaps as one person might have said "if the Fenians can land boats on Grand Manan then of course they can invade Ireland!" Cleary the future of an Irish Republic is guaranteed! The United States shall go to war to free Ireland and Britain is entirely helpless!

Or so the Fenians expect.

As untethered from reality as they remain, they at least have one thing right that many in the US wish them well. Not well enough to help them mostly, but just well enough to look the other way while they do manifestly un neutral things...

High praise from you sir! I look forward to your next installment!
Thanks! :) It means a lot that you enjoy my own project too!

Btw, it's a update too late, but I forgot to comment on the utter disaster that Kentucky joining the Confederacy is. Ought to truly discredit McClellan. I can already see a Republican wave in 1866 when Northerners see that his honorable peace is in truth a very, deeply dishonorable surrender. It also opens an interesting opportunity for Breckinridge, who must be jumping from joy at having his State successfully "liberated." Maybe he ends up as President? He'd be a shoo-in for Davis' successor. Funny how we both could end up with President Breckinridge, just under very different circumstances.

As a matter of interest where is Britain's top agent in the Fenian Brotherhood, Thomas Miller Beach, in all of this?

He wasn't in Maine, but he will come up in the chapters I have dedicated to the whole Emergency of 1867. He had some activity in the late war as well, but I've been saving him for a bit of a nice surprise in 1867 since 1866 has a lot of low points for North America as a whole.

Thanks! :) It means a lot that you enjoy my own project too!

It's refreshing that we're exploring different avenues of the same topic! If dark sadly... but I mean to put an end to slavery in my own way TTL!

Btw, it's a update too late, but I forgot to comment on the utter disaster that Kentucky joining the Confederacy is. Ought to truly discredit McClellan. I can already see a Republican wave in 1866 when Northerners see that his honorable peace is in truth a very, deeply dishonorable surrender. It also opens an interesting opportunity for Breckinridge, who must be jumping from joy at having his State successfully "liberated." Maybe he ends up as President? He'd be a shoo-in for Davis' successor. Funny how we both could end up with President Breckinridge, just under very different circumstances.

Oh it's a huge domestic loss for McClellan, and he's about to get two more self-own goals in 1866 too! His control over the Democratic Party has slipped rapidly, and his being at odds with them on military and some domestic matters, but having the Radicals and Republicans hate him on general principle means that even when they agree it is only through teeth clenched teamwork. However, even with Republicans getting a leg up soon, vote splitting between them and the Radical Democracy Party (Radicals for short because heaven forbid they call themselves Radical Democrats) is going to be a big problem in securing the Senate in certain states. That means the edge they get in 1866 is going to be less than you'd expect because a lot of people are suddenly much more sympathetic to the Radical Democracy Party going "We told you so!"

Breckinridge will be currently overjoyed, he didn't expect it but he's happy for his home state to be in the Confederacy. He is an ambitious man and he will be seen as a natural choice for successor to Davis, which is something that many will be happy/unhappy about. My President Breckinridge will probably have a happier ending than yours I think! The Fire Eaters - who were effectively sidelined during the war - are eager for peace to get their political feet back under them. The ideological battles that will be developing in the peacetime Confederacy will have far reaching effects.

It's refreshing that we're exploring different avenues of the same topic! If dark sadly... but I mean to put an end to slavery in my own way TTL!

Oh it's a huge domestic loss for McClellan, and he's about to get two more self-own goals in 1866 too! His control over the Democratic Party has slipped rapidly, and his being at odds with them on military and some domestic matters, but having the Radicals and Republicans hate him on general principle means that even when they agree it is only through teeth clenched teamwork. However, even with Republicans getting a leg up soon, vote splitting between them and the Radical Democracy Party (Radicals for short because heaven forbid they call themselves Radical Democrats) is going to be a big problem in securing the Senate in certain states. That means the edge they get in 1866 is going to be less than you'd expect because a lot of people are suddenly much more sympathetic to the Radical Democracy Party going "We told you so!"

Breckinridge will be currently overjoyed, he didn't expect it but he's happy for his home state to be in the Confederacy. He is an ambitious man and he will be seen as a natural choice for successor to Davis, which is something that many will be happy/unhappy about. My President Breckinridge will probably have a happier ending than yours I think! The Fire Eaters - who were effectively sidelined during the war - are eager for peace to get their political feet back under them. The ideological battles that will be developing in the peacetime Confederacy will have far reaching effects.
So Breckinridge will be President aye?

He wasn't in Maine, but he will come up in the chapters I have dedicated to the whole Emergency of 1867. He had some activity in the late war as well, but I've been saving him for a bit of a nice surprise in 1867 since 1866 has a lot of low points for North America as a whole.
Curious to see how you'll twist his story given his OTL service in the Union Army!

I am actually really curious what becomes of the Confederate Army in this timeline. I wonder if it exists like the IRL U.S. Army or if it models off the British Army system or something else

If the democrats' involvement in the Fenian movement becomes common knowledge while the Fenians succeed in nothing more than scuppering any potential thaw in relations between Britain and the US right when the one thing the States' need is reliable trade partners, I can see the democratic party not surviving McClellan's presidency. Yet, if he tries to restore order while the fighting is already ongoing and the Fenians have the sympathy of a majority of the US population, it might actually go even worse for the democats.

I am actually really curious what becomes of the Confederate Army in this timeline. I wonder if it exists like the IRL U.S. Army or if it models off the British Army system or something else
IIRC, its peacetime organization was intended to be established on the lines of the antebellum U.S. Army, primarily manning the forts and heavy artillery along the coast and internal waterways. Technologically, it was quite Anglophilic, as the history of the Ordnance Department illustrates. Its greatest expansion, considering the Texas-Arizona question in Indians, bandits, railroads, and settlement, will likely be in cavalry, where there are many worthy officers to promote.

So Breckinridge will be President aye?

A small spoiler, but yes. He is going down in history as one of the "Three Good Presidents" of the Confederate States.

I will cover that in another update soon! The chief change is that the Confederate army as envisioned in 1861 was meant to only be about 14,000 men and 700 officers. Naturally after a colossal war and an enormous slave revolt being whipped up on the border by former Colored Troops, this is going to get a drastic reassessment.