What would the Political Parties of the Confederacy look like? Would they even form?

The people of the Confederacy saw political parties as an evil Yankee thing, so they never formed in its short existence. The south was pretty politically unified on most issues at the time, so I was wondering what Political Parties formed could be like.

I feel like the biggest issue would be eventual Reunification. Perhaps a faction could form that wants to eventually rejoin the Union peacefully.

I think that forming of parties is inevitable if then CSA government doesn't outright ban them.

I would imaginate these parties forming:

- Pro-slavery, strongly nationalist party.
- Moderate party which support some legal protection towards slaves but not pushing towards abolition and wants to create good relationships with USA.
- Abolotionist party which anyway wants keep CSA as independence
- Abolotionist party which seeks re-unification.

I think that forming of parties is inevitable if then CSA government doesn't outright ban them.

- Moderate party which support some legal protection towards slaves but not pushing towards abolition and wants to create good relationships with USA.
Assuming it reach the 20th century and the state keeps a plural party system, a longist party could rise in the 1930s in Louisiana.

Assuming it reach the 20th century and the state keeps a plural party system, a longist party could rise in the 1930s in Louisiana.

Huey Long probably would be butterflied away. But there might be some similar party like Long ideas had.

In a nation whose founding principle was the protection of slavery I cannot see an abolitionist party ever
forming- in fact, advocating getting rid of slavery would be a political(& maybe even personal)death
warrant for any aspiring politician.

In a nation whose founding principle was the protection of slavery I cannot see an abolitionist party ever
forming- in fact, advocating getting rid of slavery would be a political(& maybe even personal)death

You are right that being abolotionist in 1860's and at least most of 1870's would be political suicide but such party probably would rise eventually. And hardly even all of CSA citizens were die-hard pro-slavery.

Probably a single party state led by the Southern Democrats, with remnants of the Southern Whigs, Unionists, etc. in the Upper South coalescing into a token opposition party. By the end of the 19th century a populist party likely emerges that is likely virulently racist (or at the very least would have the most outright racist politicians) and would advocate sending all blacks back to Africa/Haiti/anywhere that isn't the CSA. They might support some sort of emancipation of slaves on the grounds that it weakens the planter class and forces them to employ/raise wages for whites as well as starting the process of ridding the CSA of blacks.
Abolitionism was defacto illegal in most of the South before the Civil War, with anyone printing abolitionist newspapers or pamphlets subject to harassment and at times beaten, their printing presses destroyed, etc. while the local government turned a blind eye. After a successful War of Southron Independence, I can't imagine they'd be any kinder to those causes.

You are right that being abolotionist in 1860's and at least most of 1870's would be political suicide but such party probably would rise eventually. And hardly even all of CSA citizens were die-hard pro-slavery.
Maybe- but I doubt it would happen for a long, LONG time.

We already have some evidence to extrapolate from since the Confederacy had a congressional election halfway through its existence. The first congress was (surprise surprise) largely former Democrats, while the second congress saw a significant portion of them lose seats to former Whigs. Assuming a surviving Confederacy we could actually see an excellent experiment with two distinct outgrowths of the Second Party System. With slavery a nonissue I could see the major divide revolving around how to manage/pay for internal improvements.

Last edited:
In my party systems thread I had a more exotic scenario 🤔

Here's a little something different, a party system for a surviving Confederacy inspired by me learning that the Democrats in the Confederate Congress lost seats to Whigs in the second Confederate election cycle and deciding to make one data point a trend 🤔 Color me surprised! In any case, Lincoln is elected but assassinated early, with President Hamlin losing the 1864 election to McClellan and the Confederacy going its own way.

It's not all sunshine and roses for Dixie, with the the collapse of the Northern Democrats in the aftermath leaving a National Union Party more than willing to use protectionism against the Confederacy and a Radical Democracy Party that views overt abolitionism (and covert support for slave uprisings) to be a winning strategy. In any case, this post isn't about those parties.

• The Constitutional Union Party has grown in the fertile southern soil and has displaced the Democrats as the natural party of government in the CSA. Declaring that their highest virtue is the defense of the (Confederate) Constitution, the CUP pursues a policy of Whiggish internal improvements in order to simultaneously boost the Southron economy and better centralize the fractured states in the face of lingering Yankee aggression. As the party of the constitutional order any attempt to end the peculiar institution is a nonstarter- it's baked in and not going anywhere. God help us all.
  • The Readjuster Party is very much the underdog of Confederate politics- even putting aside the fact that it's the only party that offers membership to nonwhites the whole "form a populist coalition to topple the planter class" doesn't win them any friends from the political establishment. Although constant state suppression has all but transformed the party into a secret society, it has grown slowly but steadily in Appalachia by absorbing the remaining Southern Unionists and appealing to the growing populist tendency rejecting the economic devastation caused by the preservation of slavery.

They copied the USA electoral structure, which lends itself to a two party system.

The eventual rise of abolitionists would depend on how and when they win, and what type of international pressure is placed on the planter class.

It's a FPTP system which is always going to lead to a two-party system with perhaps a third nuisance party (UK LIB's?) or a regional party (TX?) gaining a few seats. I see no reason why in the few years after Independence the old Democrat/Whig rivalry doesn't resurface, under those names or others. There are still going to be plenty of policy differences that will emerge.

Most likely the former Constitutional Unionists who supported Bell in 1860, will revert to calling themselves Whigs - Iirc most of them were essentially the Southern wing of that party. The former Breckenridge Dems remain the Democratic Party. Former Douglas Dems are absorbed into one or other of these unless they emigrate northward.

The US electoral system they copied in time leads to a two party system by its very structure.

On the other area anti slavery individuals and politicians in the South and they certainly did exist self identified as emancipationists or gradual emancipationists to separate themselves from northern abolitionists who wanted an immediate and typically uncompensated end to slavey.

I can see one forming perhaps in the 1880s or 90s, albeit for Economic Reasons.

I see something sort of similar to OTL from 1877 onward to at least the 20th Century - one party rule using patronage and spoils to keep power.

I can see one forming perhaps in the 1880s or 90s, albeit for Economic Reasons.
Perhaps. But it would not be, I think, an abolitionist party. What it would instead advocate would be a
more equitable distribution of slaves; in other words, seeing to it that instead of a few rich slaveowners
having hundreds of slaves & most people having, oh, say ten to fifteen, EVERYONE would have @ least
25. It would be in the spirit of an actual prayer made by our noted 17th POTUS, Andrew Johnson: “I wish
to God every head of a family in the United States had one slave to take the drudgery and menial service
off his family.”*

*- Quoted in Kenneth M Stampp, THE ERA OF RECONSTRUCTION 1865-1877, page 56 of the Vintage
Books edition. Stampp calls this statement “one of the most twisted prayers ever uttered for the welfare
of the common man” & I agree- but if the Confederacy had survived, opposing the monopolization of
slaves by just a few would probably been about as far left as a political party in it could have gone & remained viable.

Last edited:
Well the south even in OTL was pretty much a one party state after reconstruction. I have to imagine that would be the case should they win.

I would imagine there would be a political party divide: consisting of one group in favor of industrialization in the South, and one group in favor of keeping the South an agricultural state.

They'd be democrats and... something else, don't know exactly what the coalitions would be. The rump union would be democrats/republicans ofc.