WUSN 1050 BROADCAST

• ARCHIVED BROADCAST OF THE AUGUST 20, 1937 WUSN METROPOLIS TALKIEBOX STATION

This IS an update unto itself, even telling little stories and with TONS of world-building. Like and subscribe! :) This is probably the most elaborate WMIT media to date. I also thought about rigging an old radio and playing it through that and recording it for entertainment value. I have about 20 radios ranging from the 30s through to the 80s.

Also, Metropolis has a department store called
    Marshall & Carter.

And I could barely say "Boogie Ride performed by the New Antioch Pharmaceutical Company Orchestra" without busting up laughing.

Last edited:
    WUSN 1050 BROADCAST (EPISODE II)
  • To fight the end of page curse, here is the new threadmark for Episode II. I also answered all but I believe two PMs and sketched up ideas for the plot of the next full written chapter. Not a bad night!

Here we go! Episode II is now live! The writing is much snappier now that I have a real idea of where to take this. I am SUPER proud of this one. If you liked the first, you'll love this one. Again, this is an official canon update, revealing numerous weird quirks, stories, and worldbuilding intrigues. The next episode will feature mentions of a certain young Graham. Also, with this second episode, you can now sit and listen to RADIO MADNESS for an entire HOUR. There's also a "RADIO MADNESS" Playlist that is now public. Right now it's just the first two episodes of the radio show, but I'll put other songs and videos I find appropriate for the Madnessverse so you can just click play for some aesthetic.

Also, 15 minutes in there is a "Lonely Hearts Club" bit and it is probably some of the funniest WMIT writing I've ever done.

Last edited:
    PRELUDE: I
  • PRELUDE: I

"All hail, cats and kittens. The date is July 20, 1974, the time is 3:33 in the afternoon, and you're listening to ZRAD Radio. I'm your host Dan the Man, playin' you rockin' hits around the clock. Next up on my little playlist is 'Will It Go Round in Circles,' a debut song from a little Sandusky band called 'Ohio Waters.' Peace out, Pinnies!"

"I got a story, ain't got no morals!" Orson Roland sang along with the lyrics behind the wheel of his black 1965 Rollarite Custeria. "And the bad guy wins every once in a while!" He rhythmically drummed his hands against his black, leather-wrapped steering wheel as he hurtled down the Destiny Road on a bright and sunny afternoon. He had good reason to be singing, as he had just been assigned a major project at college that was surely going to be his big break. For the last three years, the twenty-six year-old had been studying at Kissimmee Media Arts University, the largest and most distinguished film school in the entirety of the Republican Union. For a country which occupied the entirety of the Western Hemisphere, that was a big deal.

Located just outside the motion-picture boomtown of Kissimmee, Florida, KMAU drew the richest and most elite students into its ranks, and Orson was no exception. The seventh son of Whickham Roland III, a back-office papermonger for the Banking Clan, Orson had to fight and claw for his busy father's approval and attention from a young age. He had excelled in his photography major at Lewisiana State University of New Antioch, proving to Whickham that his son's fascination with cameras was no mere phase or whimsy. When Orson got accepted into KMAU, it was the greatest day of his life... at least so far. When Orson's new project was finished and seen by the entire American Media Clan at the 20th Annual Pinnacle Film Festival in New York City, he was sure that that day would, in fact be, the greatest day of his life. His big break! If his project turned out to be as great as he planned, then he was going to be helming the next Zap Zephyr film before you could blink an eye.

As he sang along with the Ohio Waters song on the car radio, he looked over to his left, out the rolled-down window, at the passing countryside. Aside from the occasional farmhouse, he was in the heart of swampland country. It was hard to believe that hillbillies and alligators could be found just thirty miles outside of America's cultural epicenter. Kissimmee wasn't just the center of the New United States' film industry, but also the world's. As the dominant power on the global stage and the founding member-state of the League of Nations, all things flowed from two cities: Philadelphia, the nation's capital, and Kissimmee, the heart of the Media Clan and the film and propaganda industry. Oh, sure, there was New Antioch and Shicagwa and Metropolis and the like, but the earlier two were truly special, no doubt blessed by God himself to lead the New Jerusalem into the light of a Pinnacle Future, preordained in the stars by Manifest Destiny. Just thinking about working in such a place sent a shiver down his spine, despite the muggy air currently making him sweat through his plaid blazer.

But the truth was that, no matter how sure he was that his project would turn heads in the industry, Orson wasn't entirely sure what his project was even going to be about. He knew it would be a documentary, but the subject was very much up in the air. One of his rivals at KMAU, Henry John Roberts, a 27 year-old man with the pimple-ridden face and body of a 14 year-old Custer Youth Brigadier, was shooting a documentary on the career of Chuck Oswald, beloved President of the nation and Aetheling of the ruling Manifest Destiny Party. Of course Roberts had beat him to the punch. If any of the film critics valued their careers and/or health, they would applaud and heap laurels upon any Oswald biography. There was nothing that forbade students from creating a film on the same subject, but if there was one thing Orson Roland was not, it was a copycat, especially a copycat of that rat-fink Roberts. No, he would create a documentary which would trump his foe's Oswald one. He just had to think of what that would be.

And so he found himself, cruising out in the country, enjoying some tunes, trying to relax and come up with an idea for his soon-to-be masterpiece. As a flock of fowl flew overhead and the warm wind whistled by, he almost forgot that he would soon run out of gas. He had left town on a whim without paying attention to the little gauge above his radio. He quickly pulled over to the side of the road, opened the wood-panel glovebox, and pulled out a map of this stretch of the Destiny Road. After unfurling it across his lap and giving it a quick glance, he realized there should be a Golden Goblin Full Service Station straight ahead in about five miles. He sighed contentedly and smiled before tucking the map back into the compartment and snapping the lid closed. That was the greatest thing about the Destiny Road: if you needed something, it was probably just around the curve. He turned the key, listened to eight cylinders hammer back to life, and he was off. Blasting some more music as he cruised along, he barely noticed a portly dodo bird crossing the blacktop. He slammed on the brakes just in time to spare its little life as it frantically scurried away into the woods. Those damn things had been everywhere ever since Hurricane Pendleton in '58 hit the Kissimmee Zoo. A lot of farmers had kept the invasive species ever since. The animals could reach 50 pounds, and had no natural predators aside from alligators and humans.

Just a couple minutes later, the familiar and welcoming glow of a neon Golden Goblin gas station appeared on the horizon. Running on fumes, he pulled the Custeria up to the first pump and honked his horn for an attendant. The station seemed old and timeworn, likely an original piece of Destiny Road history from back in the Steele days. The black gas pump had rust showing through its flaking paint, and the gold trim was mostly nothing but a dirty brown at this point. He sighed and worried he would have to get out and pump the gas himself if someone didn't show up soon. He tried to look into the tinted windows of the station itself, but the way sun's rays were hitting it, making it a fruitless endeavor. He honked again, his patience rapidly fading as much as the paint of the side of the building. He honked again, this time laying on the horn with all he had. He was in no rush to be anywhere, but it was the point of it. He was a Pinnacle Man worthy of Pinnacle service, a service which Golden Goblin had built its legacy upon. Finally, he heard a voice.

"Yeah, yeah, keep ya shirt on, boss!" came the gruff and obviously-annoyed voice of a man in a black-and-gold oil-stained jumpsuit as he exited the door of the station. The little bell on the door let out a ding as it shut behind him. The man was on the thin side, older, with wavy brown hair and a three-day beard. He was wiping his blackened hands on a red bandana as he walked over to Orson's car. "The Martyr isn't gon' come down from on high to pump ya gas the more ya honk, ya know?" As the attendant reached his window, Orson could make out a round nametag reading "Jack" on the man's chest, but the uniform was so worn and faded it might have been original to the building and older than the man himself.

"Look, man," Orson protested, "how rude can you get, dude. I pulled up and wanted service, the Pinnacle Man that I am, and got diddly-squat. I have been to many, many Golden Goblins in my day and this is simply unacceptable and appalling." He wagged a finger at the man like he was scolding a small child.

"Jack" leaned in close, getting grease and sweat from his hands and forearms on the Custeria's paint as he did so. "Look, pal, I got a hearse in the service shop right now with a blown radiator, and 'Aunt Nelly' is needed real urgent-like in New Antioch by Tuesday and this heat ain't no good for her, if ya catch my drift. It's just me and Jerry in there today so we're doin' our best." Standing up straight and stuffing his rag into his back pocket, he raised his voice to sound like a commercial announcer and asked in a sickly-sweet tone, "Now, how may I be of assistance, 'sir?' Golden Goblin is happy to assist."

"Damn, is this how you treat all your customers?" Orson said spitefully in retort, leaning back in his seat.

The man stared directly into Orson's eyes and replied, "Nah, just long-haired Pinnies like you."

Orson shot him the most hateful glare imaginable. His hair was over his ears but not even touching his shoulders and this man was calling him a Pinnie. The term wasn't necessarily derogative, depending on context, but it sure was at this moment. The last generation had taken to calling the children who grew up in the Oswald era "Pinnies." Oswald called his reign the "Pinnacle Future," and the hard-partying, long-haired young people who lived fast and died hard were seen as worthless by the older folk, no matter how much they insisted about being the most Pinnacle of any generation yet. Orson had done some coke back at New Antioch and had been to some parties, but he was hardly the rebellious hellraiser most Pinnies were portrayed to be. He finally replied, "Will you fucking pump my gas, you Steelist relic?"

Now it was time for Jack to be upset. His eyes widened and his parched lips curled up into a scowl. "I fought in Brazil for Joe Steele while you were still swimmin' in your pa's nutsack, boy. 13th ORRA. I saw Yankee boys die by the thousands. Pump your own fuckin' gas, you son-of-an-Infee." Jack took his rag out again, threw it through Orson's rolled-down window, and stormed off, muttering obscenities.

Orson sighed. This was how it was all over America. So many old timers who remembered the reign of Steele, when it was seemingly illegal to do anything enjoyable, silently resented the new ways of the Chuck-man. The "Steelies" even called themselves the "Silent Majority." Oswald had brought about the Reforms of '55, resulting in the Second Baby Boom and the birth of the Pinnacle Future. Although a lot of the older crowds still worshiped the memory of their old mustachioed, nuke-lobbing Commander-in-Chief who had conquered the hemisphere, the younger people flocked to the handsome, debonair Oswald. Chuck was gray on the sides now and appeared in public less, but he was still guiding the country into the light of a brighter future.

Swinging open the door of his Custeria, Orson stepped out of the vehicle and pulled out his wallet with indignant, if not melodramatic, force. He put a few bucks into the pump and grabbed the nozzle before lodging into his gas tank. "Thank God for Chuck Oswald or we wouldn't even have color televisors, for crying out loud. As he stood there waiting for his tank to fill, he looked around the decrepit fueling area. A dry, cracked rubber squeegee sat in an equally dry, yellowed, mildewed bucket afixed to the wall with a single rusty bolt. Next to that, a sign bore the instructions, "ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING IN THE FUEL BAY." He chuckled quietly and pulled a Morton's Finest out of his chest pocket and lit up right there before shooting the service station a spiteful glance and a middle finger. Next to the sign hung several posters, most of them so sun-bleached it was hard to tell the original messages. One appeared to be a depiction of Uncle Sam, his sleeve rolled up and a gas pump nozzle in his hand. "CONSERVE FUEL, KEEP OUR BOYS GOING!" it appeared to read. It was probably at least 15 years old. "Damn, this place is so run down. And right next to Kissimmee, too. Oughta bulldoze this shitshow."

That was when he noticed the newest poster, tacked on over layers of yellowed paper. By the looks of it, its ink was still fresh. A portrait of a smiling, fatherly-looking older man with large aviator eyeglasses looked at the viewer, with the caption, "THE PROPHET GRAHAM IS COMING, CHILDREN. AUGUST 10, SECOND KISSIMMEE AMERICAN FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIAN CHURCH, 329 AARON BURR AVENUE." It was the other most-recognized face in America, the Second Prophet of Manifest Destiny, Reverend-Colonel of the American Fundamentalist Christian Church, Billy Graham. He gazed into the printed face of the great man, an idea slowly seeping into his mind.

THUNK. The gas pump shut off at a full tank.

"My God," murmured Orson, a light bulb going off in his head. "That's it! That's who I'll choose in my documentary! I'll tell the story of the Prophet, and I'll get my info straight from his mouth. The only thing that could give that runt Roberts' dry Oswald suck-up piece a run for its money!" He threw the cigarette on the ground and jumped back into his car with new-found excitement and turned the key once more. He zipped out of the parking lot and back onto the Destiny Road, heading back to Kissimmee. He was beyond pleased with himself as he could only imagine the faces of every critic in New York if he opened out his film with a one-on-one interview with the Prophet Graham. In just a few days, the Prophet would be in town, and when he came to towns like Kissimmee, he usually stayed for a week, giving Orson plenty of time to try and procure an interview. Graham was a man of the people and loved interviews and if Orson wrote to him ahead of time he was sure he could get at least a few minutes of footage. Orson might have only been a mere student, but his project was going to be exhibited at the film festival. Surely, the Prophet would agree. "Thanks for being an asshole, 'Jack'," he said to himself as he rounded a bend. "You just gave me a brilliant idea. The Lord doth work in mysterious ways."

The next few days saw a frenzy of activity in Orson's studio apartment overlooking a the back half of a Kingfish Supermarket on the outskirts of Kissimmee. He made sure he had plenty of batteries for his cameras and checked the quality of all his recording tapes. This was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and he wasn't going to have it dashed by a glitch or faulty equipment. Satisfied everything was in good working order, Orson now simply waited for a response from Graham. He had already written a fervently-respectful letter to the Office of the Reverend-Colonel, asking for a five minute interview, even shorter if need be. He was sure his courtesy and respect would win out, but his nerves were jittery all the same. On August 12, a reply came inside of a crimson-colored envelope bearing the Cross-and-Star, the symbol of the American Fundamentalist Christian Church, pressed upon it in black wax. The color and symbol made it obvious to all that it was an official document from the Church. There was no postage stamp on the front, as the crimson parcels were exempted by law. With shaking hands he used a letter-opener shaped like a cavalry saber to carefully break the seal to save the envelope as a keepsake and pulled out a single white sheet of paper.

"To Comrade-Patriot Orson Roland, Brother in Christ,

The Office of the Reverend-Colonel must unfortunately deny your request for an interview with the Prophet, due to time constraints. We hope you will understand.

All hail,
    Office of the Reverend-Colonel

VIA VERITAS VITA"

Orson was devastated. There went his project, up in a flames. He sat dejectedly staring at the letter over a lukewarm cup of coffee at his tiny kitchen table, face propped up against his hand. There was no way he could have a chance at beating his rival's Oswald documentary unless he pulled a miracle out of his hat. There was no celebrity noteworthy enough to dethrone Roberts' fluff-piece on the President. Dejected, Orson stared at his kitchen wall. The avocado green wallpaper had several paintings of the Prophets Burr and Graham nailed up. One showed a scene of Graham in Metropolis, feeding the hungry during the Miracle of '37, the Apostle Andrew by his side. Like a bolt of lightning, another moment of inspiration hit him. The Apostle Andrew! The Prophet's former closest friend and apprentice had been retired for some time after a lengthy career in mission work and televangelism, and now lived near New Antioch somewhere, the last Orson had heard. Andrew had been there from the very beginning with the Prophet, from their descent from the Waxahachie Bible Institute to Metropolis, to the Prophet's time in the Sinkhole, to their meteoric rise as the New Wave of American Fundamentalism. Andrew knew everything and had seen everything. If he could sit down with the elderly retiree and convince him to say a few words about his time with the Prophet and other American notables, surely that could make for a supremely interesting documentary film. Orson made a few calls to find out the current location of the Apostle Andrew, only to wind up frustrated. It was as if the Apostle didn't want to be found. One way or another, though, he would figure out the old man's location.

At last, on August 15, the day of Graham's arrival in Kissimmee, Orson got a lucky break. He finally found a clipping in the local newspaper archive which showed a record of a large estate that the Apostle Andrew had purchased in 1965, just northeast of New Antioch in a small village called McClellan Point. The article even had a picture of the residence taken during its auction. It was noteworthy for being the former home of supermarket magnate Huey Long before the Apostle bought the place. This gave him a likely current address, as he couldn't imagine a retired man of Andrew's notoriety moving from such a beautiful, opulent plantation-style manor anytime recently without it making news. In fact, if anything, Andrew seemed to want to stay out of the news altogether since the mid-1960s or so. It was rather odd, but as such a near-Biblical and instantly-recognizable figure, maybe he just wanted some privacy, which was quite understandable.

And so it was that our unwitting and hapless future hero marked the location of the Apostle's estate on his map, threw his recording equipment in the back of his Custeria, and set off for McClellan's Point. Rather than trying to reach Andrew by phone or by mail, Orson decided he would simply show up and knock on the door. If he was already there, there was a very decent chance he would get his interview and his footage. He turned up his radio and headed straight west, toward what would become one of the most fateful meetings of the 20th century....

Last edited:
    PRELUDE: II
  • Hopefully you guys will see why this chapter took a long while to craft! I am very pleased. I think it's really cool how "lived in" the Madnessverse is becoming. There's a name-brand for everything, everything has a story, we know where people shop, how they live, expressions they use, music they like, etc, and everything interacts or is related. It's so much fun to really forge ahead novel-style in this setting.

CHAPTER 2
    swampyhouse.jpg

The hot wind whipped through the magnolia trees on the ground of the ancient and stately manor. From its massive white columns that adorned its portico to the weathered old red bricks that formed the main body of the structure, it was a true glimpse into another era. The era when the Deep South remained free of Yankee rule before Strong Father Abe restored the Presidency and crushed the independent nations of Maryland, Virginia, and Georgia. It had been here where countless Africans in were brought in chains to work its cotton fields, and it had been here when McClellan and his legions marched to New Antioch, then known as New Orleans, and liberated the Negro. There were stories that the Bourbon Prince himself had used the mansion as a base of operations during the Great American War. Following that epic conflict, the village became known as McClellan Point and the property the mansion stood upon came under the ownership of one Remus Hawthorne, a slave-turned-businessman, whose family owned and operated a local bank.

During the Great World War, Remus's son Ambrose Hawthorne was the master of the house, and Ambrose's son Leroy walked out the front door in a khaki uniform. He would return home in a box, buried alongside his mother beneath the magnolias of his childhood. Without a surviving heir, Old Man Ambrose began to let the place go, and with it went the local bank the family still owned. The bank was sold and became a tavern in 1925, and in 1926 Old Man Ambrose dismissed all but two part-time groundskeepers and a single butler. The cotton fields went unplanted, the grass growing over them like fresh graves, just as they had grown over the grave of Leroy Hawthorne.

The year 1928 saw a broken wretch of a man inhabiting the estate, barely recognizable as the wealthy banker and man-about-town he had formerly been. The final remaining butler, a poor sod by the name of Phineas Gibson, happened upon a ghastly scene when he found Ambrose swinging from the rafters of the barn. A noose was tied about his thin neck, his eyes bulged from their sockets, and a dry tongue extended from his blue lips. And so ended the Hawthorne line. Once slaves, then masters, now their final family member joined his ancestors under the shade of the pink blossoms. Moss and vines quickly set in, as did the mildew and the horrid stench of decay. Rats found their way inside in short order, gleefully devouring what was left in the food cellar that had once held human chattel.

Locals would often talk about the "Old Hawthorne Place," and children would tell each other scary stories about the spirits of former slaves and slave-owners that could be heard stalking the grounds at night. There was a popular local legend about the "Man in the White Suit" who would stand upon the portico with a whip, letting loose with daemoniac howls at midnight as he cracked the whip menacingly. Sounds of chains coming from the cellar were a frequent occurrence and the subject of numerous investigations by daring youth, many of whom would clamber out of the old place with looks of sheer terror on their faces. Above all, everyone in the area knew of the frequent sightings of Ambrose himself, a noose tied about his neck, standing below the Magnolias.

Despite all of these tall tales and almost a decade of neglect, it remained under the care of the county and on the market, though none would buy it. Finally, in 1935, Kingfish Supermarket founder and titan of capitalism Huey Long low-balled the local government and became the first white master of Hawthorne Manor in three generations. Money from the sale went to fund the construction of a local high school, named Huey Long High in his honor. Portraits of the old black owners went to the local courthouse, filed away in a storage room, and the old "Hawthorne Manor" sign above the wrought-iron fenceline came down, and "Kastle Kingfish" went up. The rooms were gutted, the rats exterminated, and the old root cellar became a wine cellar. The barn was demolished to make way for a garden for Long's wife, Tilly. Fresh paint adorned the columns out front and the red brick was chemically treated. It once again became a bustling home, with many servants and family members scuttling about. And then it all stopped once more.

In 1937, during the height of the Dust Bowl windstorms that carried the toxic smoke and ash from the South American warzone north, Long heard stories of soot touching down outside of New Antioch. That was all he needed to have reason to move. The millionaire packed up his belongings and family and relocated to Lewis City, Osage, for the remainder of the conflict. Even after the storms eased up, the Longs never returned to Kastle Kingfish While it was still technically under his ownership but also permanently empty, the local habitat again began to wear down upon the visage of the ancient manor. It would once more sit empty and haunted for decades.

That would finally change in 1965. Long would die of a heart attack in 1960, and in the aftermath of the colossus' death, his family would try to sell off unneeded assets and properties. It would be then that the Apostle Andrew, right-hand of the revolutionary Prophet Graham, would purchase the manor in his quest for isolation from the outside world. With his health in decline thanks to the effects of the dust he inhaled while proselytizing in the wastelands of Old Mexico and with press and reporters always trying to reach him for interviews, the near-Biblical figure wanted somewhere quiet and contemplative to live out the rest of his days. "Kastle Kingfish" came down, the sign going to Huey Long High to adorn their new rounders field. From the depths of storage came the old Hawthorne sign, back onto its ancient and rightful place. Andrew did not seek attention, as said before, and so he had little reason to plaster his name upon his home. He wanted privacy, peace, and quiet, not nattering nabob reporters and Christian Magickians asking him for ways to channel the power of the Other Side in an attempt to do better in a job interview.

With his horned rim glasses and his black bowties, his slicked hair white on the sides, Andrew hardly looked like a modern John the Baptist or Simon Peter. Locals who glimpsed him on occasion remarked that he looked more like a school teacher than a religious icon. These glimpses were very seldom and quite rare, as whenever Andrew needed supplies or food he would send Cal Dressler, his one hired hand, into town. The people of McClellan Point began to refer to Hawthorne Manor as "The Hermitage." Andrew became a recluse, ever more paranoid by the day that he was being watched. Maybe by President Oswald's Rat Pack, or the Church's Zealots, or the Office of Racial and Religious Affairs. Perhaps by all of them. As he grew more paranoid and distraught, the wine cellar became a bunker, complete with enough canned goods to last months and a solid steel door that could withstand an atomic blast. A ventilation system monitored the air and a large machine in a closet filtered all of the well water being brought from below, just to be on the safe side, as he would say.

The inside of the house looked little different than it had since Long's remodel in the 1930s, save for the Radi-Rite color televisor on hairpin legs standing out amidst the sea of knobby, bulky old furniture. The cotton fields remained unplowed, alligators running rampant through former drainage ditches. At least once a week Dressler would shoot one of the nasty beasts with a trusty shotgun that normally hung over the mantle, its gold receiver embellished with the phrase, "To a dear friend and Christian brother." A gift from the Second Prophet of Manifest Destiny, one of many. Anything the Prophet Graham could find, goldplate, brand, and gift to his most devout cronies, he would do it. Andrew owned a pocket watch with the Prophet's portrait on the inside of the lid, the outside bearing the inscription, "Manifest Destiny Forever - William Graham." Andrew would often sit and stare at the radium-painted dial, wondering how much time he had left in the world, how much time to live with everything he had been an accomplice to weighing heavy on his mind and soul.

It was this paranoid, reclusive figure which Orson Roland sought out to make his documentary. He had heard stories of the man's hermetic ways, but he felt that he would surely be able to get at least a short interview with him. As his Rollarite Custeria slowly drove down the overgrown gravel pathway to the manor, he could feel the sweat dripping from his brow. It was mercilessly muggy outside, even with the breeze and the sun mostly obscured by gray clouds. Lewisiana rain weather is exactly what it was. The roar of the engine was the only thing that could be heard aside from rustling in the old drainage ditches nearby. Orson gulped nervously when he thought about the local gator infestation. The only good thing about them was that they probably kept the dodo birds away.

Suddenly, like a streak of lightning, a long, mature gator at least seven feet long shot out on the road ahead, opening its cavernous mouth and letting out a warning hiss. They weren't scared of humans or cars, not in these parts. Orson slammed on the breaks, panic gripping him as he worried hitting the creature would skid him off the narrow driveway.

"Oh come on!" he shouted angrily, hammering his horn. "I am so freaking close, and I got stopped by this dumb animal." He turned around in his leather seat to look out the back window. He could probably back out, but he didn't come all this way just to turn around and go home because of one alligator. The more he honked his horn the more aggressive the gator seemed to get, eyeballing him like fresh meat.

Crack!

A gunshot rang out. Apparently, the gator was indeed still scared of one thing, and it was a shotgun blast. Buckshot hit a nearby patch of dirt and the gator dove back into the tall grass on the roadside. Orson could hear another shell being pumped into the chamber. Another crack followed, and it was clear that the gator was making great haste to leave the area. Orson let out a relieved sigh and slowly puttered forward, trying to identify the location of the shooter. When a short, stout man with graying hair revealed himself just a few yards ahead, Orson waved and smiled at him. He knew it wasn't the Apostle, but likely his butler. Orson had stopped in McClellan Point and had been given descriptions of the man.

"Good day, dear sir!" Orson said, turning his car off as the man approached.

"We don't like visitors around here," the gray-haired man said in a thick Bostonian accent. Unnaturally bushy black eyebrows sat perched above cold blue eyes. "Whatever you're sellin', we don't need it, pal, and whatever you want, we don't have it. Now you best be leaving." He held the shotgun across his chest, a live shell in the chamber.

Orson felt quite intimidated by the man's looks and demeanor, as well as his loaded hand-cannon, but he attempted to explain himself. He couldn't give up. Not now. "Hey, no, um, you misunderstand, sir! I'm no salesman, I am merely here to talk to the Apostle Andrew. Just a short conversation would do, and I'd happily pay for the time. My father is in the employ of the Banking Clan-"

"-We don't need money, kid. You think the Apostle of the Prophet Graham has any wants or needs, physical or monetary?" the butler interrupted. "We don't wanna talk, son. Now leave. Ain't nothin' the Apostle can tell you about Magick or anything else that you can't learn from any dimestore Spiritual Marxism book. He's already given his tips many times before and he's quite frankly getting real sick of your type. So I'll give you the best tip of all: scram."

Orson was growing more frustrated by the moment. "Sir! I am not here to sell or buy, and I am not here to learn spells or whatever, man, I'm here just to speak to the Apostle about the historical record. for posterity."

Just as the butler seemed ready to start in again about how Orson needed to leave, about twenty yards ahead the front door of the manor creaked open. In the dim glow of the single portico bulb that wasn't burned out, Orson could see the aging visage of Apostle Andrew, a droll expression upon his face. Seeing him in person, even a glimpse, gave Orson hope.

"Cal, are we havin' a... situation here?" the elderly Apostle asked, adjusting his bow tie nervously. His eyes peered out from behind thick black-framed glasses and his hand moved to a 38 caliber revolver tucked into the front of his high-waisted trousers. Unlike many Steele-era retirees, he hadn't added any cushion to his bones and his clothes fit him very loosely. A cigarette hung from his lips.

The Bostonian butler, evidently named Cal, turned to face his employer. "No, sir!" he replied. "Just running this long-haired pinhead off the property. Already almost got himself killed by a gator." The "pinhead" insult made Orson wince. What was with Steelies and their love of insulting the younger generation? Also, his hair didn't even touch his shoulders! What was the issue with these old fogies?

Andrew raised an eyebrow and slowly strolled in their direction. "Most city boys usually run at the mere sight of a gator, and I can tell he's a city boy in that car. What does he want?"

"To be a pain in the ass!" Cal said snidely while lowering the shotgun. "I'll take care of him, don't you worry, sir!"

Orson was furious. Here he was right where he needed to be, and he wasn't going to let this loud-mouth servant ruin it for him any more than he was going to turn around because of a gator. "I'm making a documentary! I just wanted to ask you about your time in the Wilderness with the Prophet Graham!"

"Shut the hell up, son!" Cal spat, turning back to Orson and raising the gun once more.

Andrew seemed to ponder on something for a moment before he finally said, "It's all right, Cal. I'll speak to him."

The Bostonian looked shocked. "But, boss! It's just some Pinnie scum--I can run him off in one shot."

The aging Apostle let out a soft sigh and waved his hand. Pulling a handkerchief out of the chest pocket of his white short-sleeve button-up shirt, he covered his mouth while he let out a raspy, sickly cough. "It's fine, Cal. I haven't had a visitor is some time who isn't trying to use magick or sell me something. I could use some conversation."

With a pained look of defeat, Cal slung the engraved, gold-plated shotgun over his shoulder. "Park up next to the tool shed, by the Apostle's car. And don't try anything funny, kid. I'm watchin' you like a hawk. Get going, then."

The next few minutes saw Andrew return to his abode while Orson maneuvered the Custeria into a spot next to Andrew's brown-and-white early 1950s model Himmler & Hess Roadfuhrer Super-Special. The old thing was immaculately maintained, with not a spot of rust to be seen. The inside looked as new as Orson's 1967 Custeria, save for the odd cigarette burn here and there on its old-fashioned style seats. Cal rifled through Orson's camera and tape bag, as if expecting to find a bomb or a grinder. Satisfied that everything was in order, he motioned for Orson to follow him into the house itself.

The grand foyer was definitely still a reflection of its original age, with a large chandelier hanging down from the almost churchly ceiling. Oak wainscotting adorned the walls, the upper sections of which were adorned with floral wallpaper dating back to Long's purchase of the estate. As they continued deeper into the house, they passed a Steele-era kitchen, its square chrome handles and stark white paint revealing its age. The floors creaked heavily with each step, even in areas covered by rugs.

"This wood is older than the Union itself, kid. Don't mind the noise," said Cal as they passed through the dining hall. "Papists put this place up back when Spain still ruled these parts, damn 'em. The pillars were added later, during the Georgia Republic days. 'Place started out as a holding pen for slaves traveling up the Mississippi. Fuckin' greaseball Spaniards."

After a few moments of light conversation on the history of the property, they arrived in the den. The den was clearly the area Andrew spent most of his time in, judging by the lack of dust on everything in the room. The Apostle sat smoking his cigarette calmly in a buffalo-hide chair in front of the out-of-place televisor. The TV was the only thing modern Orson had seen in the whole house at this point.

"Come on down to Kingfish Supermarket!" came the sound of a commercial flickering on the screen, cutting through static. "Only the best, there's no contest! You can have everything, every shopper a king!" sang a chorus of jinglers, "At New Antioch's finest grocery!" Images of fresh chicken, produce, and other consumables switched to a two-dimensional sign of a portly man in a blue suit, his right arm mechanically waving to consumers as they entered the store.

"Good ol' Huey Long. Fat bastard used to own this place, y'know," Andrew said, finally breaking his silence and putting Orson somewhat at ease. "Bought it off his family when he passed so I could get some peace and quiet. I like it out here. Gators keep people away and Cal takes care of the rest."

After getting a nod of approval, Orson set his camera and tape bags down on the floor and took a seat opposite Andrew. The chair was well-worn and uncomfortable, more fit for a museum than a den. "Thank you, sir, so much. For letting me talk to you, I mean. It really is a... " he paused laughing nervously, "...a dream come true."

Andrew shot him a sideways glance. "Ah, yes, the dreams of youth. I had those once." He took a slow drag off his cigarette, his eyes seeming now to stare a thousand yards beyond either Orson or the Radi-Rite.

Orson was confused. "Sir?" he asked. "You were the Apostle to the greatest religious figure since the Prophet Burr, may he rest in peace. Surely that is a dream more fulfilling than any other could possibly be."

The old man leaned forward in his chair, grabbing a bottle of Republica Beer off the coffee table beside him and popping it open with a hiss. He handed another bottle to his visitor. Cal must have put them out when Orson wasn't paying attention. He was grateful for the drink after such a long, hot drive. The young film student still couldn't believe it: here he was, having a beer with one of the most famous Americans who ever lived.

After taking a few swigs of his own beer, the Apostle took his glasses off, set them on the table, and rubbed his eyes. Then he leaned forward, elbows on his knees and said, "Oh, I had other dreams. Dreams of a family, kids, a nice place to settle down. My family's ranch down in New Canaan. I had dreams, kid. Dreams that didn't involve Billy Graham."

"Do you mind if I film this, sir?" Orson asked, reaching for the camera bag.

"Hell no, don't film this. I already worry they watch me every day and night. If you film me, I'm giving you what they want to hear. If you want to hear the truth from a dying old man, though, you'll drink your booze and listen, pardnur," he scowled, his last bit a dead giveaway of his cowboy roots, no matter how gentrified he had become.

Orson released the camera bag nervously, put his empty hands up and said, "Okay, sir... I guess I understand." Inside, though, he was reeling from the gravity of what was going on. The Apostle Andrew just said he dreamed of a life without the Second Prophet in it! Was he drunk? How many bottles had Cal cleared out today? Anxiety mounting, Orson decided to just drink his beer and listen as he was asked.

"Now," continued the Apostle, "let me tell you something, young feller. I spend every day living in fear of being watched. They see all and know all. It's a waking hell. I thought I could escape them out here, but I have to deal with them still. They are everywhere."

"Who, sir?"

With another thousand-yard stare, Andrew replied, "Everyone. ORRA, Zealots, Military Police, Rat Pack, every son of a gun who you can imagine."

"But why?"

"Because I left, y'know. Because I retired against Graham's will," the old man said, grabbing his glasses and putting them back on as he made dead eye contact with Orson.

Orson was so thoroughly confused. "But... I remember when you retired from your televisor ministry when I was a kid! You used to be on every morning at 10, preaching the Bible, the Four Books, and the Book of Graham. They had a huge special for you when you stepped down. The Prophet Graham himself was on there praising you as his oldest friend."

Andrew laughed quietly before once again covering a hoarse cough with a handkerchief. "Sometimes things get to a point where a good man, a righteous man, can't live a lie anymore and has to face the truth. I told Billy things just didn't set right with me, that I couldn't keep telling the old stories anymore. I just couldn't. He told me I couldn't quit, that it would disgrace the ministry and the Church. So I said I was sick. And I was. And I am. He couldn't say no to that."

"Sick, sir? And what lies?" Orson queried, fear in his voice. He wanted an interview for what essentially amounted to a propaganda fluff-piece, not some sort of subversive degeneracy from a key figure in American history.

Andrew laughed almost like a younger version of his own self had on the televisor so many years before and held up his handkerchief. "You think that sounds like a healthy cough, boy? During our Dust Bowl days, me and Graham were exposed to the worst of the soot-storms. I don't know how that man hasn't been sick from it either. It killed my pa back in '37. Doctors right now give me another six months at most before I'll be gone."

"That's horrifying, sir!" said Orson breathlessly. "I am so sorry. A warrior of God and Prophet like yourself does not deserve such a fate!"

After a short coughing fit and lighting up another cigarette, Andrew waved his hand dismissively. "Oh, I reckon I deserve it. With all the shit I did back in Old Mexico with Graham and with all the horse manure I peddled to innocent folk on TV, I think I deserve worse fates. You know, son, it's all bullshit. Everything you ever heard about Graham."

"What? That's impossible. He's a holy messenger of God, with a belt full of certified miracles! He's the Second Prophet, for the Martyr's sake! And if what you're saying is true, how do you know I'm not here to spy on you and get you to say things like this?"

After a brief pause of contemplation, the Apostle answered, "Because I'm dying, son. I had a doctor visit two weeks ago. It was then that he told me I'll be gone soon. At this point, what difference does it make? At any rate, get up and look out the window by the deer head."

Orson was confused by the abrupt request. "Sir?"

"Just do it."

The ancient floor creaked once more as he slowly made his way over to the eastern window and pulled back a yellowed, sun-stained curtain. The young film student gasped when he saw, off on a distant hill, three men standing tall. They were wearing black knee-high boots, dark red uniforms, and pinch-crown hats. One looked through binoculars while the other two appeared to be using some sort of backpack radio system. "Zealots..." Orson said in disbelief.

"Ayup," said Andrew. "The Church's own uniformed muscle, spying on their old boss. Isn't life funny, son? One day you're at the top of the world, everyone snapping their heels and saluting you when you walk into a room. The next day you're an outcast, with your old boss having you monitored like a common gangster. Cal was a communication expert during Manifest Climax. He has enough equipment stashed away to check for bugs. Every once in a while, I hear someone else walkin' through the house, what with the floor as loud as it is. They come in. They break into my house. And I'm at the age where they could strangle me in my sleep and the local coroner will be happy to say it's natural causes. I'm honestly surprised they haven't already."

Orson's mind was reeling. Everything he had ever been taught was crashing down inside his psyche. "If Prophet Graham is a... a false prophet, as you indicate, why would President Oswald treat him like a brother? Why would he allow this stuff to continue?"

Andrew let out the heartiest laugh yet, a single tear rolling down his cheek as he smiled and said, "Oswald?! Fuckin' Chuck Oswald?! If you think that man cares about anything but himself, you are sorely mistaken, my Pinnacle-blooded young friend."

That was enough to make Orson snap. "Sweet fuckin' day in the morning, old man! How dare you insult our President! He has served this country selflessly for decades, as did his father before him! You're nothing but a-a-a degenerate old heretic trying to... lure my soul to hell with your bullshit! Fuck you!" He grabbed his camera and tape bags and started to back out of the room as he yelled and screamed at a former childhood idol.

Andrew stood up, calmly took another sip of beer, and told his irate visitor, "I can tell not all of you is full of shit, son. You know something ain't right now and it bothers you, deep down, don't it?"

Orson felt his eyes sting as Cal appeared out of nowhere to gleefully escort the young man out. "No, damn it, I am a loyal patriot! I was in Custer Youth, Church choir, and was baptized in the name of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and the Prophets of their Words!"

Without even a pause to reflect on anything Orson said, the Apostle told him, "I am dying, son. If you want to make the most revolutionary documentary ever made, meet me at the Daygone Inn between Lewisburg and New Antioch. Ask for the quietest room. I'll find you. I'll tell you the whole story, and you can film the whole damn thing. If you want to report me and have been snuffed out like a candle... well, you'd be shaving a few days off my lifespan at most."

Orson breathlessly raced to his Custeria, threw the bags in the passenger seat, and floored it all the way out of the swampy property.

On the hill nearby, the three AFC Zealots were still watching. "What do you see, Tobias?" asked one of the men monkeying with the portable radio equipment.

The man with the binoculars, Tobias, kept watching through them as Orson's car sped out onto the paved road nearby. "Bookin' it like a bat out of the Void, Bert. He had two bags. Probably salesman."

"Man, they booted him the hell out, didn't they?" asked the third Zealot as he picked up a handset and spoke into it. "Rubber Duck, the bird has flown the coop. Rubber Duck, the bird has flown the coop. Likely salesman."

"That they did, Ernie. Florida plate. The number is 'Alpha-Rodeo-1-3-3-5.' Run it through the database, will you, Bert?"

"Checking UltraNet S.I.N. and V.I.N. system for matches for Alpha-Rodeo-1-3-3-5," said Bert as he pecked away on a heavy-duty keyboard attached to the backpack. A dimly-backlit screen showed a variety of pixelated information in green font. "Bingo, Tobias. Orson John Roland, a native of Kissimme, son of Whickham Roland III, Bank Clan pencil-pusher. Address is 234 Eagle Bridge Road, Kissimmee. He appears to be a film student, not a salesman."

"What if he recorded something? Hell's bells, he could have caught something damning, boys. Might need to check up on this kid. Have an ORRA car pull him over. I want to see what's in those bags."

Ernie cranked the energy cell a few times before speaking again into the microphone. "Alpha Talon, this is the Three Litte Pigs. Come in Alpha Talon."

"This is Alpha Talon, go ahead my porcine friends," came the sound of an ORRA officer on the other end of the line.

"Be on the lookout for a black 1967 Rollarite Custeria headed due west toward McClellan Point. Florida plate Alpha-Rodeo-1-3-3-5. Suspect is Orson John Roland. Possible contraband. When you nab him, hold him on the roadside till we arrive."

"Roger that, piggies." In the distance, the howl of an ORRA siren could be heard speeding along the Destiny Road. The three Zealots packed up their gear, threw it in the back of a white, unmarked panel van, and hit the road themselves. Orson Roland's bad day was about to get ten times worse.

Orson looked in the rear view mirror at the approaching ORRA car, its red light blinking away as the rain began to fall in the swampland. "Orson John Roland! You best be pullin' over now, son! ORRA wants a word!" came a voice from a bullhorn.

"Oh, shit."

Last edited:
    PRELUDE: III

• CHAPTER 3
    48868899978_a1e12dd3fe_c.jpg

Orson Roland pulled over to the side of the backroad, bringing his Custeria to a halt under the shade of the cypress trees. The din of the ORRA siren slowed and then chirped off as the law enforcement vehicle parked up behind him and a pudgy, fat-fingered middle-aged man in a navy blue uniform stepped out. A pair of aviator glasses rested on the tip of his nose and a wad of chewing tobacco was entrenched in his left cheek as he stepped toward Orson's vehicle, jackboots crunching twigs and dirt all the way.

Orson tried to steady himself and keep his cool. He had done nothing wrong yet that they could possibly know about. Well, he had listened to Andrew rant about how the very structure the nation was built on was a massive lie, but they couldn't possibly have heard that... or had they? At any rate, his knuckles were still white on the steering wheel as the trooper walked up to his window. The stench of fast food and wintergreen tobacco hung heavy off the portly officer, barely masked by a cheap cologne. The ORRA man's hair was greased back with pomade under a forage cap.

"Well, well, what do we have here, citizen?" the trooper said in a sing-song yet very authoritative tone as he leaned in the Custeria's window.

"Uh, well, you see, sir," Orson stumbled through a chaotic jumble of responses he had prepared in his head over the last few seconds. "I, uh, my name is Orson Roland. All hail, sir. Wh-what can I do to assist you, officer?"

Behind the mirror-shades the officer squinted in growing suspicion, Orson was sure. "S.I.N. and V.I.N., son. Pronto." He held out a fat hand and his face showed no emotion whatsoever as he brought an emphatic singular finger down onto his empty palm.

Orson struggled to open the glovebox (it had needed some oil on the hinges for quite some time) but finally cracked it open, shakily withdrawing a yellow envelope labeled "V.I.N.." All V.I.N. numbers were required by law to be kept in a fireproof envelope of that sort to make quick work of identifying cars after fiery crashes and whatnot. He gave it to the officer who quickly snatched it up. Then Orson withdrew a billfold from his suit pocket and produced his Societal Identification Number card.

The pudgy officer gave the items a cursory glance. "Hmmm... Says you're up to date on your vaccines. Pure fluidation. Good stuff. Now, son, y'all mind telling me what your city-boy ass was doing bothering Andrew the Apostle? He don't like visitors. The government tries to make sure he lives a peaceful retirement, y'see. Now what was you doin', kid?"

The young film student stammered another moment before replying, "Uh, well, I'm a film student. I am, uh, trying to make a documentary for school and I am traveling the South to talk to eyewitnesses to historical events. Well, who better than Andrew the Apostle?" Orson tried to sell his innocence by giving an exaggerated shrug and awkwardly laughing.

The cop leaned back off the window, never reacting. "I'll run your papers through dispatch. Wait here, kid." At that, he tucked the papers under his right arms and walked back to his patrol vehicle. The ORRA car was rusty from a decade of swamp living, but it was still the fastest thing around. In the dash was a more modern dispatch radio that had been bolted in recently.

While Orson waited impatiently and nervously, he kept eyeing the bag of camera equipment sitting in the passenger seat of his car. He hadn't filmed anything, but he knew the ORRA man would be wondering if he had. Just as his fears about the camera and tapes were growing, a white, unmarked vehicle sped past him and parked about two car-length ahead. It was clear from the way it stopped so quickly that it was a modified government vehicle. This was proven correct when the three Zealots he had seen on the hill outside Andrew's house popped out, weapons drawn. Two of them hung back, armed with shotguns pointed in his general direction, while the third kept advancing, taking a glance out of the corner of his eye at Orson as he strolled to the ORRA vehicle.

After a few minutes of discussion and more unnerving shotgun-waving, the ORRA man and the Zealot approached the Custeria's window yet again. The ORRA man smiled a bright, perfect smile that by no means set Orson at ease. The man's cold blue eyes stared Orson down from behind a pale, pasty complexion framed in dark brown hair and long sideburns. Then he raised a hand in a quick salute, folded his arms behind his back, and said, "Good afternoon, Mr. Roland. My name is Tobias Potter, a Zealot of the American Fundamentalist Christian Church. My men and I are a protection detail assigned to Andrew the Apostle. We make sure that he isn't disturbed in his well-earned retirement. The good pastor's health isn't what it once was, I'm afraid, and he doesn't take kindly to visitors. Now, Officer Henry over here says you claim to be filming a documentary for college. Very interesting, and I wish you luck. The Apostle, however, is protected under the Former Church and Government Officials Voluntary Protection Act of 1963, making him illegal to film or record without a Class-A Press Permit, as issued by ORRA under FCGOVPA regulations and statutes and approved by the Media Clan Press Council Board of Regulatory Admissions. The Apostle entered himself into the FCGOVPA by choice and does not wish to be interviewed. So you technically broke the law by filming him, son." With those last words, Potter leaned in close to Orson's face, bending straight down at the waist while keeping his hands clasped behind himself. "So technically we could arrest you right now."

The blood chilled in Orson's veins at those dreaded words, words no American citizen ever wanted to hear uttered from the mouth of law enforcement. "Well, uh, I'm sorry, sir, for not being aware of the FGCV... uh, the Act, and I will certainly and very happily take an extra course at college in regulatory procedures to protect myself and others. If it makes it any less... illegal... I didn't film the Apostle. I merely talked with him a few minutes before he, uh, kicked me out. Like you said, he doesn't like visitors!"

Potter kept staring him down with that eerie, otherworldly smile, as if his teeth were sculpted in white marble by an old Renaissance master, but extended his hand and pointed at Orson's passenger seat. "Bag. And don't worry, your belongings are protected by law from seizure if no contraband is found on them. Please allow my men to search your car for further tapes."

Shaking, Orson handed the man the green and white plaid camera bag. With almost robotic movement the Zealot took the bag and walked back to his panel van. The other two Zealots moved in, ordering Orson out of the vehicle before searching every inch of it. A beeping sound emanated from the dash of the rusty ORRA patrol car and Officer Henry, as Orson now knew his name, yelled out at Potter. "Hey, if y'all guys have this kid covered I'm gonna get this next one from dispatch! Think it's probably those absinthe boys finally slipping up. I don't wanna miss that."

With a crunch of foliage under his shoes, Potter turned around and waved at the ORRA man dismissively. "Yes!" he hollered back. "I think we have this about wrapped up. Jehovah speed, Henry. All hail!"

"Same to you, all hail!" Henry clicked his heels in salute and climbed into his car and drove off, leaving Orson with "just" the three Zealots.

Potter climbed inside the van and obviously was checking the tapes out and taking his sweet time doing it. Orson still felt sweat dripping down his face and neck as he waited with bated breath to see if he was going to be let off the hook. After about a half-hour, the two shotgun-wielding Zealots gave up on searching his car and Potter emerged from the truck, bag in hand. He marched over to the Custeria, his smile still unnaturally wide. "Well, my good man," he said while nodding to Orson, "Good news for us all! I discovered no footage violating the FCGOVPA standards. So lucky for you, I'm gonna cut you a break!"

For the first time all day, Orson felt a wave of relief pass over him, and he muttered a prayer of thanks and thanked the Zealot as well. But his good feelings were ground to a halt when Potter raised a single finger in the air to indicate there was going to be a catch. "Under one condition."

Sweat rolling into his eyes, Orson squeaked, "Yessir?"

With a swift movement that would be the envy of any professional rounders pitcher, Potter heaved the camera case into the nearby creek that ran along the other side of the road. "You get the hell out of McClellan Point for good and I better never see your face in my town again or anywhere near the Apostle. Am I understood?"

Mouth agape in horror and disbelief, Orson mumbled a yes and shrunk back into his seat.

"Oh," Potter said as he turned around from walking toward his van. "And if you remember me saying your equipment was protected from seizure, I didn't seize it. I didn't say I wouldn't destroy it." He let out a laugh as he leisurely strolled back to his vehicle. "And you better hope and pray that our UltraNet monitors don't show you bought another camera attached to your S.I.N., kid! We'll know to bust your ass then. Give up on this stupid documentary and be a paper-pusher... like your father."

Orson was crushed. That was a great camera, one he had purchased for just this occasion. Every purchase of that magnitude had to be filed with the S.I.N. number of the purchaser and the camera's serial number linked to the proper owner as well. If Potter was serious, he'd be thrown in jail for buying another camera or, at the very least, have his interstate or even town travel permit suspended. As he sat there trying to not have a massive anxiety attack, he knew he was in deep shit. But below it all was a boiling, simmering rage. He had never really questioned the system until today. He had never thought twice about the way America was. It was always this way, he thought, as God ordained it. But today had shook him to his core. After having the seeds of doubt planted by Andrew, he was then accosted and had his property destroyed by ORRA and Zealots. What of Oswald's motto about "Security and Property?" The fact that they were so quick to shut him down helped convince him that the Apostle was likely telling the truth. They had shut him down because he was onto something. They wanted him silenced because he was a threat. While still cold with fear, Orson began to feel the tiniest bit of pride. He was a threat. He was onto something. And he wasn't going to give up. As the white van peeled out and vanished around the next curve, Orson started his Custeria and stared at himself in the shiny chrome rear-view mirror, quickly deciding his next course of action.

He checked his billfold for cash and put his S.I.N. card back into its proper slot. He had enough money to get to that Daygone Inn near Lewisburg Andrew had instructed him to meet him at. He had enough for maybe a cheap typewriter at a junk shop. If he got an old enough model, pre-electric, you didn't need to attach a serial number to it or register it. He could pay in cash. He might not be able to film it, but he just might be able to type out his next encounter with Andrew. He drove south for an hour and a half before arriving in Lewisburg, where he stayed the night at a local inn. The next morning, at the crack of dawn, he entered an antique shop in town and purchased a 1929 Keystone typewriter and a few spools of ribbon before hitting the road once more.

Halfway to New Antioch, just as Andrew had said, there was a Daygone Inn off the side of the highway, engulfed in an almost eerie fog, despite it being 8 in the morning. He carefully turned into the lot, the parking lot visible thanks to the neon glow of the famous orange-and-white mermaid sign bearing the hotel's name. Thunder peeled overhead, a sudden storm flaring up from out of nowhere. Before he could even park, heavy drops began to pitter-patter down to earth. He sighed, took an umbrella out of his back seat along with the sack containing the typewriter and stepped out into the downpour. The Southron humidity was still raging even if it was raining hard, and he hoped the hotel was air conditioned. He saw a few other cars in the lot, but nothing that screamed "Andrew the Apostle is here." Which was great, because if Andrew was going to travel it most certainly would be with a boring, uninteresting ride. Riding to a seedy hotel in an immaculate brown and white 1955 Himmler and Hess Super Special would likely definitely put him on NUSA's Most Wanted.

The double-door entrance to the Daygone Inn creaked open with a push, leading into the lobby, covered in tacky orange-and-brown deep-pile carpet. The smell of stale tuna sandwiches almost triggered Orson's gag reflex and he had to stop in front of the white faux-marble counter where piles of the "treats" were located. A sign with the words "Complimentary New England-style lunch!" hung on the woodpanel wall above the counter next to a gold starburst clock. A swarm of flies were cloistered around the sandwiches like priests at a mass, partaking of the rotting, fetid almost paste-like tuna meat smothered between crusty slices of toast. He looked on in horror as a writhing maggot slid out from under one of the sandwiches. Barely repressing a gag again, he stumbled toward the oval-shaped front counter, closing his umbrella.

The man at the counter was wearing a bright orange bell-hop uniform, a round flat cap perched upon his head like a monkey at the circus. All Orson could see of the attendant was the back of his sandy brown hair, as he was standing away from the entrance, slumped over against the counter on one arm.

"Ahem," Orson announced his presence by clearing his throat. It also was to try to clear the lingering scent of the putrid, ghastly tuna.

With an odd creaking sound, like a turkey wishbone about to snap, the man whipped around, a manic smile on his face. Orson's eyes widened in surprise at the man's face. He had seen enough unnatural smiles lately to last a lifetime. "AHOY, TRAVELER!" the man shouted in a monotone voice. "Welcome aboard the finest hotel on the Destiny Road! Name's Pete! How can I help you, sir?" He leaned in close. Just like the smile, Orson had had enough violation of personal space lately, as well. Pete's yellowed teeth weren't quite up to par with Potter's, though, and the scent of body odor hung heavy.

Orson wanted to ask him when the last time he dry-cleaned his uniform was but bit his tongue and replied, "Hi, uh, Pete. I need a room. Quieter the better."

Pete took an almost puppet-like step toward the off-yellow tabulator bolted to his counter before raking his fingers across the keyboard like he was a concert pianist. "Oh, all the quarters in this port of call are quiet, skipper! Yessir, 'For Quality and Comfort, nothing beats Daygone Inn!' We promise a restful night sleep and enough tuna sandwiches to feed a whale! Help yourself, cap'n!" Pete took his round cap off the top of his balding head like a showtunes dancer and made a jerky gesture toward the countertop lined with rotting snacks.

Orson cringed and replied awkwardly, "Well, I'm afraid I've eaten already. Look... I just want a room. In the back if I can."

Pete flipped the cap back on and shrugged. "Up to you, admiral! There are many relaxing ports of call in this abode, but we have room 33 in the back corner! Sound good?"

"That'll be fine. I'll take it. How much?" Orson quickly replied, withdrawing his billfold.

"20 dollars a night, commodore!" Pete said, continuing to do his best theatrical impression of a New England sailor despite his obviously Southern birth. There was something about the man that seemed rather more like a reanimated corpse than a living human. With a few clicks and dings, Orson was checked in. "Right, cap'n, can I carry your cargo, sir?" said Pete, extending a hand and offering to carry the typewriter bag.

Orson flinched and drew the bag closer. "I'm okay, just need the key."

Pete didn't lose a beat and his arm jerked to a nearby drawer and he pulled a set of keys out before throwing them up in the air, taking a step forward, and catching them without looking, backhanded. "RIGHT THIS WAY!" With jerking steps, almost like he was a clay animation character from the Patriot-Saints Day movies, he led Orson to the back of the hotel. Only two of the rooms, Orson noted, appeared to have lights on inside. Room 33 was in the very corner, next to a snackcake vending machine that had been long-graced with a yellowed "OUT OF ORDER" taped to the glass. With a flick of the wrist and the turn of a knob, the door to the room swung open. Pete led the way and flicked the lights on. "Here we go, sir! Fresh as openin' day!" A series of spiderwebs covered the windows and a thick layer of dust covered everything. Pete tried to turn on the tiny 1950s-era televisor on the dresser. After smacking the side a few times and cursing cheerfully under his breath, the hum of the tubes broke the eerie silence and soon a local commercial for a furniture store appeared on-screen. "Right then!" Pete said, placing the keys on the dresser dramatically. "Dial 1 to call me at the front desk and remember, all-you-can-eat tuna sandwiches are at your disposal, cap'n!" With a brisk salute the man waltzed back down the hallway, whistling cheerfully.

Orson explored the room, both disgusted and curious. There appeared to be a narcotics syringe under the window air-conditioner, which didn't appear to run anymore. Orson's one wish was for air conditioning, but apparently that was too much to ask. The bed seemed clean enough, if dusty. The bathroom had seen better days and the pink pedestal sink was crudely affixed to the black-and-white tiled wall with some heavy-duty epoxy of some sort, which had dripped and hardened onto the wall all the way to the floor. The shower had a few scratches and cracks in the tiles, but it was passable. Inside the medicine cabinet was an empty bottle of someone's prescription medication and a rusty pair of tweezers with a disgusting waxy substance caked on the edges. The only other thing to check out was the nightstand, a rickety thing on flared pin-style legs. In the drawer was a copy of the AFC Bible and a Book of Graham, as well as a notepad and a travel map for the surrounding area dated to somewhere around 1962. And a wadded up piece of chewed gum. Orson sat the typewriter on the little desk by the window and pulled up a dilapidated chair likely far older than the hotel itself. The manager of this establishment was likely well-familiar with local charity shops.

Just as Orson turned to the televisor and began to worry about if Andrew would show up, he began to feel a sleep lull over him. When he awoke several hours later, it was to the sound of someone gingerly tapping on his door. He grabbed a gooseneck metal ashtray stand to possibly defend himself against an attacker. He peered out the peephole and breathed a sigh of relief. It was Andrew. He quickly unbolted the locks and in came Andrew, wearing simple clothes and a tan raincoat, which he promptly tossed on the bed.

"Man, am I glad to see you," Orson said, smiling grimly.

Andrew stared him down through his horned-rim glasses. "You have your equipment?"

Orson shook his head. "Sadly, no. I was stopped by fucking ORRA AND Zealots not long after I left your place."

"I know," the Apostle said dismissively.

"Yeah- wait! You know?!"

"Yes," said Andrew. "When they were tracking you down I used an old slave escape tunnel to get out of there. Had a rustbucket car with forged numbers ready to go."

"Wait, so you used my possible capture and/or earthly demise to cover your own escape?" Orson asked, shocked.

"Yes. I presume they took your equipment then?"

Orson stared at the musty ceiling and waved his arms. "Wow. Well, I can't say you aren't a tricky fellow! Anyway, I was able to buy an old typewriter off the books. I took typing all during high school and I am pretty speedy. Figured I'd write down your testimony."

Andrew took his glasses off slowly, folded them up, and set them on the nightstand. He kicked off his oxfords and sat down on the edge of the bed. "So, it is my biography, then? Very well. I suppose trying to expose an entire system will never go easy. I'd rather it be film, but this will have to do."

"When do you want to get started, sir?"

"Now. Get a glass of water and prepare to work fast. If I'm to tell you the whole story, God's honest truth, this is going to take a while...."

Last edited:
    THE PAINFUL TRUTH: CHAPTER 1
  • Thank you so much, guys!

THE PAINFUL TRUTH: CHAPTER 1

It was all so simple. It was just me and Billy Graham in a beat-up truck surviving in the wilderness. I could never have guessed what was about to happen to our lives. Every day was a challenge, an adventure, and a very real chance to die. But I fought on with Billy and we started a revolution. A revolution based on lies, drugs, and delusions, though I convinced myself otherwise at the time in an apocalyptic frenzy of excitement. If I could go back in time and keep him from going to New Canaan with me (because it was anything but God-ordained), I would. If I could tear down the whole ragged institution of current American Fundamentalism, I would do that, too. We have been led astray by the servants of darkness and I have come to know, as I have known for many a year, that "AFC" has become anything but what the Prophet Burr created. It is an abomination. And over the course of this testimony I hope to reveal it for the sham it is. It is, quite simply, treason to say these things. I know full well I could be executed for saying them, and I am prepared to lay down my life--what little of it I have left--in defense of liberty. I regret I have but one life to give to help my fellow man. I am pleased to say that I have only one soul in my possession, and into the hands of Jehovah I commend it. Amen.

- Andrew Philips, the so-called Apostle of the Second Prophet

June 27, 1937, was the day I got the call from our old ranch hand, Mark Marlboro, that told me my father was really sick and that law and order in New Canaan was breaking down, thanks to the Sootstorms. The hardy old Great War veteran told me they were keeping my old man as comfortable as they could, but it was not looking good. I was just a 21 year-old kid studying at the Waxahachie Bible Institute in the great state of Texas. Above all else I desired to live a good clean life, marry a pretty Pinnacle-blooded woman, and enter the clergy. I enjoyed helping on my father's Circle P Ranch as a child and I thought that one day me and my little brother Shadrach might divide it between the two of us and I could till the land between Sundays and keep the family tradition alive. I was surely blessed in life... and then Marlboro's phone call came. Despite his protestations, I told him I would be on the next train to Metropolis--the capital of New Canaan and the city nearest to the Circle P--that very night. He told me to bring a gun. I rushed back to my humble little two-person dormitory to pack up, my heart pounding and my anxiety raging.

I will never forget this moment as the start of our unexpected journey. Our grand adventure that would end up shaping the modern world. I heard the bathroom faucet turn off and my young roommate stepped out into the living quarters. His name was Billy Graham, one day soon to be known as the Reverend Billy, and eventually as the Second Prophet of Manifest Destiny. But we had no idea about any of that then, and couldn't have imagined it if we had tried. We were just two students, like any other. Billy eyeballed me with a confused expression and inquired as to what I was doing. I told him that there were huge sandstorms ravaging my family estate and that I needed to board the next train to Metropolis as soon as possible. When he realized the magnitude of the situation, he selflessly proclaimed "I'm coming with you." He sincerely cared for me and my family.

Now I was one of the few people on campus that treated Billy Graham with the respect he very much deserved at that point. He was not born an American citizen at all. In fact, at this point he had spent a large portion of his life outside of the Republican Union. He had been born on November 7, 1918, in the Confederation of the Carolinas, America's oldest ally and the only remaining foreign power in North America, with the exception of Russian Alyaska in the far, frozen north. According to his own later testimony, he had been born in the cradle of the Johns River Gorge, near the small town of Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Also according to the man himself, the night he had been born saw a comet streak across the sky, and the local hillbillies said this was a sign of great things to come for the newborn infant. Although when I first met him this story was strangely absent, a later addition to his personal mythos. His parents, Mr. William Franklin Graham, Sr., and Morrow Coffey, were newly-wedded Scotch-blooded Presbyterian farming stock just striking out in the world, and they welcomed their one and only child with the greatest of aplomb, showering him with attention and as many gifts as they could afford. From everything I ever gathered about them, the Grahams seemed to be quite lovely and kind folks. Billy would wind up an only child, as his mother suffered a series of miscarriages that left her broken and depressed. She would die when Billy was only 9 years old of unknown causes.

With just himself and his boy, William Graham the First pressed on as well as he could with life, trying to turn whatever profit he could from the small farm and suffering from acute depression and a growing doubt in the existence of God. When Billy came home one day from playing in the fields to discover a woman preparing a meal in the tiny kitchen area of their house, he was very confused, then angry when he realized his father was trying to bring someone else into the family, to replace his mother. He said later on that, "I was so jealous. I loved my late mother dearly and now here was this strumpet, thinking she could waltz in here and take my pops. I hated it. I hated her. But there are none so blind as those who will not see." Indeed, Billy would always say it was this new woman, Susan Grant, that would lead him to God. For Susan was not just any Cokie woman. She was a devout and radical follower of American Fundamentalism. A raven-haired former witch, from a long line of such eldritch persons who had dwelled in the foothills since the days of the Puritans, she had viewed the Great World War and the American victory that ensued as a message from the ethereal plane. She viewed Fundamentalism as the strongest of all faiths and the one most in contact with the spirit realm, and she was ready to adopt its ways as her own. In her own words, "I saw the light. I forsaw the coming of the New Jerusalem, and I knew I had best make myself right with Jehovah and Prophet before it was too late."

When Billy was 11, in 1929, his father and Miss Grant married and his father declared himself a Fundamentalist. Despite the alliance between Chancellor Johnny Gamble's Confederation and the Union, this did not make them popular figures in the Blowing Rock area, or really anywhere in the Confederation of the Carolinas. They were treated as second-class citizens and were often abused and mistreated, sometimes even physically assaulted. The new Misses Graham was proclaimed a sorceress and was the subject of numerous threats from superstitious hillbilly locals, perhaps rightfully so. Clearly, this current set-up could not last forever. In 1931, the Grahams loaded up their 1922 truck, the make of which has never been clear, and ran for the border, begging to take up American citizenship. This would be granted by ORRA and the family, for a while, took up residence at a Church ward in Atlanta. The year or so spent in Atlanta saw little of import happen save for the conversion of one Billy Graham, age 13. The way his parents were treated and taken care of by the AFC Church touched him and showed him, what he would like to call, "the Better side of humanity." William the Elder would soon find himself working a steady job as a bus driver and Susan earned some income as a waitress at a local diner. Billy became a tremendous reader at this time, thanks to his step-mother working with him to read the Bible and the Books of Manifest Destiny. He would devour any and all books placed before him, but he particularly enjoyed biographies of famous Christians and adventure serials, something which certainly foreshadowed how he would later live his life.

But despite their good fortune in Atlanta, it had never been the goal of the Grahams to stay there forever. They yearned for something wide-open and where they could really put down roots. They wanted a farm, a real farm, and to save up enough money to one day send young Billy to college. What better place, they thought, than to move way out west, where land was cheap and the living was honest. They bought train tickets to Texas, about thirty miles from Waxahachie, home of one of the most famous and prestigious Bible colleges in the world. The Bible Institute there had produced some of the finest young ministers of the post-War era, and the Grahams had high-hopes for young Billy to one day take up the shepherd's rod there and heard the next generation of sheep. He would do this, with far more prowess than they could ever imagine. In 1936, at the tender age of 18, Billy Graham began his training at the Institute, the same year I also joined the ranks of the that prestigious locale.

My first thoughts upon meeting Billy was that he was truly someone worth getting to know. He was somewhat tall, and his square-jawed face had an air of almost Presidential nobility to it. His sandy brown hair was a bit wild for us at the time, always combed up into an elaborate pompadour that would make Joe Steele's look positively uninspired. Piercing hazel eyes stared you down in every conversation, as he was never one to break eye contact. He once told me that his step-mother had taught him that "only the weak look away." Despite his good looks and his calm demeanor, he was hardly popular on campus. In fact, due to his foreign heritage, I was really the only friend he had at Waxahachie. His bold and brash demeanor suited his new Texas home quite well, but further served to alienate him from his fellow students, who saw him as a foreign-born mimic, merely adopting Texas while they had been born in and molded by it. Despite their opinions, Billy was a great Texan and a good man at this point, though he was not far away from that horrible descent into insanity and sorcery that would forge him into one of the most important and feared figures in history.

It is the wish of this author to convey to you the truth of all things. You may ask if he bullied, pushed around, or insulted others during his college stint, or if he talked down to others self-righteously or waxed lovingly about occult rituals. He did not. He was an All-American boy just living one day at a time. He never fooled around with women and he never drank or partied. He always attended Sunday services and he could handle a rattlesnake like it was a worm, heaving it above his head while speaking in tongues, fire in his eyes. But this was not so unusual for a campus full of promising young ministers.

When Billy told me he wanted to go with me to New Canaan, I gave him the same treatment Mark Marlboro had given me, telling him I didn't want him to come but internally forever grateful for a companion on my journey south. When we showed up at the Waxahachie Train Station and asked for two tickets to Metropolis, little did we know we were making history. History, if there is any justice left in this world, I will now shine a light on and reveal the truth through the deception and lies told to two generations by the Second Prophet of Manifest Destiny.

And behold the Prophet Graham, Second Prophet of the One True Church, descended from the Waxahachie Bible Institute in the year of our Lord Nineteen-hundred and thirty-seven, with the noble Apostle Andrew and a mighty iron on his hip, and the name of the iron was Judgement. And the Lord was with them.

- The Book of Graham, Verse 1

Last edited:
    THE PAINFUL TRUTH: CHAPTER 2

• THE PAINFUL TRUTH: CHAPTER 2

A day had passed, and so had a long, boring train ride. When Billy Graham and I woke from our slumber in the uncomfortable berths of the steam engine whisking us to New Canaan, the first rays of sunshine were just starting to appear over the horizon. Billy jumped down from his nook, yawned, stretched, and the gave me a funny look, seeming to sniff the air like an animal sensing danger.

"Say, chum, do you smell something?" he asked me, raising an eyebrow, a look of caution coming over his face.

As I rose from my bed and stood up, I also began to notice the peculiar smokey stench hanging in the air. As we rubbed the sleep from our eyes, it dawned on both of us what was going on. The stench could only be the smell of the toxic soot my old ranch hand Mark had warned me about. The fact that we were still miles away from Metropolis was very disconcerting. This smokey storm was powerful, to say the least.

After a quick wash-up we both got dressed and shared some porridge for breakfast as we gazed out the windows of the locomotive out onto the countryside around us. Everything seemed normal enough, and the air was clear and bright. But that acrid smell hung heavier and heavier the farther south we went. We tried to ease our fears by reading from the Books of Manifest Destiny and debating Scripture. The topic that day was martyrdom, and whether or not every Patriot-Saint who died in battle or for the faith could be deemed a Martyr, or if Benedict Arnold was the only one. For well over 100 years, it had been AFC de facto doctrine that only Arnold could be given the title, since he was struck down defending the Prophet at Valley Forge during Burr's first visions of the Angel of Destiny. It was of his controversial yet not entirely heretical view that every single man, woman, and child who died defending their country and faith would be christened Martyrs, while to me they were clearly Patriot-Saints and Martyr was a special title, sort of an Archangel of Angels.

"The beauty of the American Experience lies, in its purest and most pinnaclean essence, in its capability to raise up the most humble among us to unparalleled greatness," I recall him saying between sips of coffee that was as black as night. "Every Jehovah-fearing Patriot who believes in Christ and Prophet can attain the righteous bounties of heaven. The Blind Christian Gentleman was a mere mage of Jehovah, stumbling around in the darkness and in poverty before he became one of the Fathers of our Country. Many will pass peacefully in their sleep, Patriot-Saints all, worthy of every stepping-stone on those ethereal Golden Roads. But! John 15:13 clearly states that 'Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.'" Billy thumbed through his Bible and found the verse and pointed for emphasis after he quoted it from memory. "The Martyr Arnold laid down his life for his friend, the Prophet, may both rest in peace, but so did scores of our boys when they were gunned down during the Great War. So too does every RUMP officer when he is killed stopping a criminal. So too does the firefighter when he burns alive saving children from an apartment inferno. Arnold was the first, an example for all to emulate, but he was not and will not be the last martyr, Andrew."

I could tell the gravity of our current situation was weighing heavy upon him and he was using religious debate to calm his nerves, so I gladly threw myself mind, body, and soul into this debate. There were only a few other passengers on the train, as it was mostly carrying mail and cargo, but the few who were within earshot sat and listened to our discussion with interest, likely also to combat frayed nerves and entertain themselves. A few might have been listening in for heresy, but they looked mostly innocuous. "Billy," I began my reply, thumbing through Manifestum, the First Book of Manifest Destiny which discussed the death of Arnold numerous times, "While I agree that all who lay down their lives for kith and kin are to be regarded with the utmost respect, Arnold is the One True Martyr, as he gave his life for our One True Prophet. It is open and shut to me, Billy."

His temper seemed to flare. Although I knew we were still the best of friends, he took religious debate very seriously, almost life or death, and I couldn't think of a single time when he changed his mind on any major doctrine or belief he held to be not only true, but self-evident. His voice raising, he flipped his Bible shut and stared me down with piercing eyes. "Andrew, confound it, I know I am right on this and I will go to my grave defending the doctrine of New Martyrdom."

"Doesn't that essentially create a class system in Heaven?" asked a nearby eavesdropper, a gaunt old fellow with snowy white hair combed back neatly under a freshly-blocked brown snap-brimmed hat, as I recall. "If all those who you say are 'martyrs' are indeed martyrs, what of it? Do they enjoy more of the fruits of heaven than the rest of us? I myself am likely too old for any heroic bravado, and I suppose very much that my death will come peacefully in my bed. But I fought in the Great War in my younger days and am devout in my beliefs and prayers. Will I not spend eternity shoulder-to-shoulder with a Patriot-Saint who dies in battle?"

Billy seemed happy to involve another party and he smiled and answered, "Well, mister, I reckon Revelation 20:4 will answer your question!" He quickly found the verse and read aloud, "'Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been slain for the testimony of Jesus and for the Word, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.' Mister, it is plain and clear to me that those who fall in the Name of Christ and Prophet ascend to these Judgment Thrones, and in the next life they shall be the executors of Jehovah's Will. Yes, you shall experience the wonders of Heaven, but it shall be the Reverend-Colonels and the Martyrs, one and all, who shall rule and dictate and lead in worship the souls of the Chosen."

The old man furrowed his brow and scratched his chin before he replied. "Well, sonny, you have a lot more book-learnin' than this old vet, I reckon, but I just can't stand the idea that those who have lived a good, clean life like me and done our part will be lorded over by those who, unfortunately and sadly, died before their time." He took a drag from a cigar and looked out onto the horizon after he said this, a contemplative and depressed look on his face. "I saw men, my friends and brothers, mowed down like grass in their prime. If this doctrine of yours is true, perhaps I should have thrown myself into the Californian guns to entitle myself to these honors you speak of."

I felt bad for the man, likely a picture-perfect dictionary definition of "survivor's guilt," and asked him politely, "What is your name, sir? Why are you makin' your way down here? I trust you know of the sootstorms by now."

"Chick Sheffield. Real estate is the name of my game. I own property from Oxacre all the way up to Pacifica. And... yes, I am aware of the sootstorms. My wife Betsy called me the day before yesterday when I was in northern Texas signing a land deal. We live in Metropolis, y'see. I'm headin' down to pick her up and bring her to our vacation home in the Goodyear Islands until this disaster is over. The ORRA men at the station told me she would be fine in Metropolis and that the sootstorms are overrated, but she has been battling asthma her whole life, so I think it's a good decision for us to simply take a tropical vacation."

"Trust in the Lord, Mr. Sheffield," Billy said, gesturing up at the ceiling. "I will pray for you and your wife to have a safe journey. Hopefully this will all be over soon and we can get back to normal." I nodded in agreement.

This seemed to soften Sheffield's opinion of Billy. "Well, thank you, son. What are you two young parsons after going south right now? Going to minister to the masses?"

I shook my head and replied, "Actually, no. I'm Andrew Philips. My father Abednego runs the Circle P Ranch, just south of Metropolis, and I got a call saying he's real sick because of the dust. So I'm coming to run the farm in his stead and oversee repairs while he's on the mend-like. My friend Billy Graham here elected to come with me and lend a hand. Mighty kind of him to cut class to help a friend."

Sheffield smiled and said, "Indeed. That's mighty proper of him. Say, you fellows smelling what I have been smelling? Smells like sulfur."

Billy nodded briskly, adjusting himself in his seat and straightening his red tie. "Yeah, we smell it. Have since we woke up. You can almost taste it."

After a few more minutes of pleasantries with our new companion, it was about this time when the whistle blew and the train began to slow down. A porter in a navy blue suit and dark red cap entered our car, exclaiming, "Hear ye! Mail stop in Willoughby! Mail stop in Willoughby! Please remain seated for the duration of the stop! Again, please remain seated until the stop has concluded!" At that moment, armed guards from the back of the train entered through the door behind us, wearing laced-up black oxford boots, denim jumpsuits, and with drum-fed automatic grinders slung over their shoulders. They joined the porter, had a short conversation, and walked toward the front of the train as our wheels completely halted and the sound of steam expelling from various stacks hit our ears.

I shot a curious look at Billy, who simply shrugged and turned to look out his side of the train. "Probably just some valuable mail. Maybe a jeweler or something is sending a diamond north or the like."

Not at all satisfied by this reasoning, I fired back, "But why would they ask us to remain in our seats? And Willoughby is hardly the kind of place that merits priceless cargo. Metropolis is only 15 miles south, and that's where they would ship out valuable stuff."

"I don't know, man. Maybe--" he was cut off by whatever he was staring at outside his window. "By the Prophet!" he exclaimed, nearly jumping out of his seat. The picture that was greeting us was like something out of a Lucky Duck war film. Hundreds of people were milling through the little farming town of Willoughby in sheer panic, many with masks wrapped around their faces. The train station, made in the last century to accommodate perhaps 50 people, was filled to bursting with several hundred people, some sitting on piles of suitcases while others carried simple bags or nothing but the shirt on their back. Many were covered in a dusty black grime, fear shining out from eyes which were reddened and irritated, some with clean streaks down their cheeks from extended crying. This was especially true for the children, many of whom were hysterical and desperately clutching their parents. Still more older children seemed to be watching over their younger siblings and trying to keep them under control. RUMP officers and railway security forces desperately formed human barriers to hold the crowds back from the boarding area as sacks full of white and yellow envelopes were rushed by employees to the armored car of our train, located right behind the engine. But far more numerous than mail sacks were the stretchers full of wounded and battered troopers and law enforcement. We definitely weren't just picking up mail.

It was like nothing I had ever seen, like a picture from Dante's Inferno. A portrait in human misery. Many were coughing, retching dryly and trying their best to expel the soot from their lungs. Some had streaks of blood running down their lips from irritation. Someone threw an empty whiskey bottle at the RUMP officers and a jeering, screaming crowd pushed forward against the line of law enforcement. Most were pleading to be let on board the train while others were begging and warning us to turn around and go right back north. A RUMP man just outside Billy's window used a bolt action rifle to smack a refugee squarely in the head. With a burst of blood, the man's forehead split open and he went sailing backward onto the ground before his friends pulled him back into the crowd. An officer in a rather bedraggled uniform with gold braid stood atop a shipping container, megaphone in hand. The braid indicated he was a local chief, but his untucked shirttails and the stubble and look of sheer exhaustion on his face probably meant he hadn't slept in a long while. "Attention citizens! Step away from the train and follow all instructions! By order of the Republican Union Military Police, this train is off-limits for non-essential personnel! Please remain orderly or we will be forced to employ harsher methods!"

"Fuck you, coppper!" shrieked a dry-throated hoarse young man at the front of the line.

A rain of more trash followed the expletive and the chief was hit squarely in the chest with a full bottle of Horton's Brand Pounded Tomato Paste Product. He fell to one knee, picking bits of glass and tomato glop from his uniform and swearing profusely. He raised the megaphone to his lips once more and exclaimed, "This is your final warning, comrades! By the power invested in the Military Police, I order you all to step back and disperse! Show respect to the Law or we will be forced to beat it into you!"

A rock came crashing through a window in our train car, sending glass flying. Everyone ducked down behind their seats, including me. I clutched my suitcase with white knuckled and raised it over my head to defend myself against other possible projectiles. Never in my life had I ever been this scared. Not even the one time I was twenty feet from a mountain lion as a boy on the Ranch came close to the level of fear I was currently feeling. I thought at any moment that we were going to be swarmed like an anthill by angry, sick refugees.

On the other side of the aisle, Billy calmly sat with his back against the wall, right under his window. Pointing at my suitcase, he mouthed the words, "The gun!" and then pointed at himself. Catching on quickly, I shakily unlatched the case and pulled the silver revolver out from my belongings. Carefully, I slid it across the aisle to Billy, who carefully checked to see if it was loaded and then tucked it under his jacket, finger on the trigger.

A horseshoe came flying into another pane of glass, severely lacerating another passenger's face down the aisle. Blood pouring out of his nose and down his cheeks, the passenger screamed out in pain.

"That's it!" bellowed the RUMP chief. "Men, disperse this crowd!"

It was at precisely this moment that everything went to hell in a handbasket. Shots rang out, likely troopers firing over the heads of the crowd. Screams and shrieks of pain and anger reached a fever pitch, almost impossibly intolerable to my ears. Through the cacophony of noise I could tell that many of the rioters were fleeing for their lives, stampeding each other in the process. A cry of "For the Union!" could be heard, followed by a gunshot and a scream. The pattering intonations of hands desperately scratching against the side of the train car made it sound as if the entire train was going to be tipped over. We were definitely rocking on the track. That was when the automatic bursts could be heard, likely the railway security men we had seen earlier. The sound of meat being torn open by a hail of bullets made me sick to my stomach.

"Push them back! Push them back!" shrieked the chief into the megaphone. "Fire at will!" Billy shot me a look of absolute horror. We both knew children were dying out there. Our stomachs were turning. Billy drew the pistol out from under his jacket and cocked back the hammer.

We sat there for another five minutes before the roar of the locomotive greeted us once more and we lurched forward. Slowly, we stood up and slumped back into our seats.

"My God!" exclaimed Chick Sheffield as he pulled himself up off the floor as well. "That was horrifying! What the hell is going on down here!"

The door of our car was flung open and medics wearing gas masks and covered in soot were bringing in stretchers full of wounded officers down the main walkway, heading toward the sleeping berths. One medic oversaw the passenger who had been struck in the face and bandaged him up before heading back to his comrades. The porter from before came back into our car, his hat missing along with a sleeve of his jacket, and announced, "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your patience during that unfortunate incident. Smithers & Sons Railway has forms located in your ticket book for you to file injury claims. We will be in Metropolis in twenty minutes! Please remain seated till we arrive and follow all orders from security to maintain our continued safety! Thank you!"

Judging by how bad the formerly quaint little town of Willoughby had gotten thanks to this apocalypse, I found it unlikely that Metropolis was going to be anything but a deeper circle of hell. I would be proven correct.

Billy shoved the pistol back into his jacket pocket and looked me dead in the eye. "I've got a bad feeling about this, Andy."

Last edited:
    THE PAINFUL TRUTH: CHAPTER 3
  • Two updates in TWO DAYS! You read that right! I'm gettin' back into the swing. PMs tomorrow!

THE PAINFUL TRUTH: CHAPTER 3

The egomania that lurked beneath the surface of my former friend's character was always somewhat obvious, even though he seemed to have it in check when we were first met at the Bible Institute. There can be no doubt that Billy frequently thought himself superior to classmates even if he himself didn't realize it. This egomania combined with his foreign birth to make him an easy man not to like. But I thought I knew his heart and that he truly loved and cared for everyone in his own way, and that he was certainly and with no doubt a devout servant of the Faith and Jehovah. Even if I didn't always agree with him, I was sure his heart was in the right place and that, at the end of the day, he was a perfect picture of an Anglo-Saxon Pinnacle Man. Throughout the years, up until I departed from his services in the 1960s, Graham's ego only grew larger, reaching for the heavens, revering himself as the modern-day Prometheus, bringing fire from the gods in the form of his own vocabulary and wisdom. By the time of my last interaction with him, in 1968, he was almost unrecognizable from the young man I set off for Metropolis in 1937. He became totally foreign from the regular guy I knew who experienced his first fame that same year during the Miracle of '37, but we shall get to that in due time.

In the last chapter, we left off at our flight from Willoughby, the formerly quiet country town some 15 miles north of Metropolis that now was engulfed in flames as rioters and refugees clashed with RUMP and local security forces. The Sootstorms were wreaking absolute havoc in New Canaan, and the rest of Old Mexico, and we all knew that it was going to just get worse the closer and closer we got to Metropolis. That last leg of the journey to Metropolis was truly terrifying, one of the most so of my existence. The sky was darker, the taste of ash in was in our mouths, and streams of refugees, both on foot and in vehicles, lined the Destiny Road alongside the tracks. Desperate people in their hundreds slogged on, many blackened by soot and the hot sun burning down on them despite the growing darkness ahead.

Most of us in the train had caught wise by this point and had fashioned crude masks for ourselves out of available fabrics or handkerchiefs. Chick Sheffield instructed us to soak them in water, an old trick he remembered from the Black Hand Front during the Great World War. Billy still sat fingering the revolver under his jacket, gazing with sadness at the masses out in the desert.

"'Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me," Billy quoted Psalm 23:4 almost without thinking. He seemed eerily calm at this point, more depressed than scared. This was the precise opposite of my feelings, where my faith in God was still strong but the anxiety was becoming overwhelming. I began to doubt the entire trip, and I expressed such feelings. Billy turned to me and clicked his tongue and said, "Andrew, it's too late to turn around now. We are up the creek without a paddle, quite seriously. But I also see this as a test." When I inquired what he meant, he replied calmly, "A test, chum, like Job in his sackcloth, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the Fiery Furnace, or Christ in the Wilderness. The character of every Christian Pinnacle Man is forged not through an easy, complacent life but through hardship and sacrifice. Jehovah and Prophet are watching us now, to see how we will handle this adversity. And they are with us, verily. Let us not be afraid. Let us use this moment of tragedy to serve the Lord and glorify his name. Andy, are you with me?"

I remember being so proud of my friend. Of thinking he truly was showing himself to be a great man in this time of crisis. Smiling under my mask, I shook his hand firmly and with conviction. "Let us prove our fluidation, brother. I am with you," I declared proudly.

It was around noon when the train pulled into Metropolis Station. It was completely empty, much to our surprise, aside from a defending garrison of ORRA officers and a handful of Military Police. The air was intolerable even beneath our rag masks, and it was no surprise to see every nearby trooper sporting a military-grade gasmask. The floors of the station were littered with detritus and bloodstains and spent shell casings proved that fighting had occurred in the not too distant past. As the train finally lurched to a stop, we prepared to get off, but we were left waiting awkwardly for several long, quiet minutes after two officers climbed aboard the engine. Finally, the porter entered the room, visibly shaken. Sporting his own impromptu mask, he bellowed, "Last stop, Metropolis! Please follow all orders from security and government personnel. This is a civil emergency! Again, please disembark the train now or you will be forcibly removed to make room for wounded and essential personnel. Smithers and Sons Railways apologizes for this unfortunate situation and our Board of Directors wishes to offer each and every single one of you a free train ticket of your choice at a later date if you mail in your current stub to the Smithers and Sons Customer Relations address found in the back of your ticket book. Thank you for riding Smithers and Sons Railways and always remember the jingle of the Dancing Frog, 'Smithers and Sons! Smithers and Sons! Affordable travel for everyone!'"

After that, needless to say, extremely awkward plug, Billy and I grabbed our bags and were headed out the freshly-opened door of our train car and out onto the concrete floor of the indoor train station. Immediately we were placed in a line with the other twenty-some passengers while several ORRA officers checked S.I.N. numbers and other information. I took my wallet out and readied my papers and stepped up to the counter. A blonde-haired man in a dusty khaki uniform and a pinch-crown hat stare at me through the lenses of his gasmask. A name-tag below his small collection of peacetime medals read "CAPTAIN A. CARPENTER."

"All hail. S.I.N., please, sir," he said without emotion, almost as if he were an android from a Zap Zephyr comic. After a customary salute, I handed him my papers, which he quickly approved. "Purpose of your visit?" he asked.

"Coming to help my father. He's gotten sick from the sootstorms and I need to help him run the family ranch."

His head cocked as if surprised. "Sootstorms?"

"Y-yeah," I said, shrugging awkwardly. "You know, the reason we're all wearing masks and why the sky is gray?"

He straightened out as if still trying to mentally masticate what I was telling him, as if I had said the moon was made of cheese. "There are no sootstorms, sir. Nosireebob. Not in Metropolis, the City of Tomorrow."

I stared at him dumbfounded. It was my turn to straighten out and give a bewildered look. "What? Look, my good man, I'm not stupid and I'm not sure if you're all right right now. I know this has been a stressful time for everyone. But yes, I am here for my family and I'm here to help them during this time of crisis."

Captain Carpenter didn't so much as blink. "Sir," he began again, "there is no such thing as a sootstorm. If the weather is anything but sunny, it is due to the monsoon season. Only defeatist Neuties spread disinformation about 100-foot tall walls of soot and these rumors are not only detrimental to the war effort but patently false and untrue. It is my duty as a patriot and Captain in the Office of Racial and Religious Affairs to inform you that the government of the Republican Union does not take kindly to the spread of demoralizing enemy propaganda, even if you may be a minister in training. My respect for your vocational calling is the only thing letting you walk out of here without being detained for spouting subversive heathen defeatism."

My mouth was agape with a combination of shocking realization and terror. "Of... of course, Captain. Thank you," I quietly murmured.

I could tell he smiled beneath his mask. "Good stuff, pardner! Alright, sir, your information lines up and you are free to advance to the main atrium, where you will be briefed by security personnel before enjoying your visit to our lovely city. All hail!"

I never saluted so fast in my life, my shaking, sheet-white hands desperately seizing my wallet and ticket book and making way for Graham. I proceeded, bag in hand, to the atrium, where the rest of our fellow passengers sat on wooden benches surrounded by armed guards. I noticed Chick Sheffield sitting alone so I decided to keep him company. He nodded and seemed glad to have a friend. "You get the same speech I did, Chick?" I asked quietly, too quiet for anyone to hear.

Chick turned to me, his face covered with a silk scarf and his eyes peeking out under the brim of his hat, and he replied with a slight tremor in his voice, "What speech?"

I wiped the sweat from my brow with a spare sock from my suitcase. "The speech about there not being any sootstorms."

"Sootstorms?" he asked, sounding puzzled. "I don't know what you're talking about. I haven't seen weather this fine since last I visited the Goodyear Islands, my good man."

"Wha-?" I cut myself off. I realized what was happening quickly and shut my mouth before I could even finish the first word. "Yes," I agreed in a monotone. "Just lovely weather we have here. I'm not sure what came over me. A thousand pardons, Chick."

Chick shot me a fearful glance and took a small bottle of pills out of his bag and popped the cap off, pouring three small white capsules out before swallowing them dry. "For my nerves. Doctors say my heart can't take much stress, and you know how stressful, uh, travel can be. Say, would you and your other young minister friend need a traveling companion, by chance? Y'see, this is a very big place and I don't know where to start to find my wife."

I contemplated for a moment. Chick seemed as if he were a genuinely nice old man, and I couldn't bear to say no to him. I knew he was actually asking for protection from whatever looters or rioters might lay outside the train station. I quickly told him he could join us and caught a stone-faced Billy up to speed when he entered the atrium. He welcomed Chick with open arms. Looking back, I can't help but wonder if he just wanted a theological punching bag around to put himself at ease and make him still feel in control.

Little did we know at this time--and we wouldn't know until years later when we received high-level security clearances in Union government--that on the other side of the train station dozens of bodies from Willoughby were being unloaded from our former ride. Medics and ORRA officers were removing dogtags and personal effects and taking them down into the furnace room in the basement and hurling the bodies in feet-first. The cemeteries couldn't keep up anymore with the overflow of bodies from both Manifest Climax and those who died from the sootstorms, and refrigerator trucks and train cars were needed to transport essential food and medical supplies in the equatorial heat of summer. Those who were wounded and still possibly able to pull through were whisked away into the Metropolis Catacombs, a feature of the "City of Tomorrow" designed by ORRA themselves after the Immolation of Mexico late last century, and partially built from a series of tunnels dating back to the Aztecs. These secret passages were (and to my knowledge still are) available only to government personnel and also led directly to hospitals all over the city. A neat, modern system for quiet, quick arrests and patrols.

After we had all been seated in the atrium, a gas-mask sporting officer wielding a riding crop and with cowboy-style concho spurs on his boots addressed us all with a stern face. "All hail, y'all. Please continue to cooperate with law enforcement. There has been an unfortunate upswing in violence by street thugs and, while we are definitely getting it under control, we ask you please stay on main thoroughfares and avoid back alleys or areas off the beaten path. We are also battlin' rumors that this here City of Tomorrow is being sub-jected to some kinda dust storm, which isn't true at all and is defeatist propaganda of the highest order. What we are experiencing is typical monsoon season conditions of a sunny, subtropical breadbasket. This is what you will convey to your friends and family and neighbors. This is what you will say over the phone or in your letters. Over the last few days, this kinda bullshit has been piped along the information highway as part of an effort to undermine our boys in South America. I don't need to remind y'all that the penalty for the uttering and publishing of enemy propaganda after being warned by government authorities of its origin is 20 years hard labor. Now, Jehovah bless y'all, and all hail! Sergeant Hodge! Open the doors!"

A husky young man rushed over to the giant doors, at least twenty feet tall, that led out of the station and unbolted the lock. Carefully, we all began to walk his way, out into the former bustling heart of Metropolis's main drag. I gasped at the sight before us. Metropolis was burning. Papers and ash were falling from the sky as several high-rises belched out black smoke to the heavens, not unlike the fiery sacrificial pyramids of the ancient savages who once dwelt in the same place. Groups of civilians ran hither and thither, seemingly trying to avoid attention. Cars were parked at all angles all along the garbage-covered streets and some vehicles were even tipped over onto their sides or showed signs of vandalism and fire damage. A tower not half a block from us was burning like a torch, and several firetrucks were parked here and there as their crews tried to extinguish the inferno. It looked like a scene from Revelation. The only thing absent was the roving gangs of active rioters I firmly expected to see. I guessed that they had already gone into hiding or fled the city. Little did I know that Metropolis had called in every available member of law enforcement in the state to the big city to fight them the day before, and hundreds had been killed en masse. The streets were empty, at least for now in the broad daylight.

Graham turned to Chick and said, "You said your wife is here in town? I say we find her first and then head south to the Circle P, if that's alright with Andy here."

I quickly nodded in agreement. "That's fine by me," I stated. "I don't think an older woman should be out in this sort of, uh, sunny weather."

Chick nodded. "Yes, all right. She's at the family home on 22nd and Johnson. God, I hope she's safe."

"Why wouldn't she be safe, Chick?" Billy asked through gritted teeth, his eyes saying all he needed to say.

Chick turned white. "Oh, yes, I'm sure she's fine." When the three of us approached the mansion at 22nd and Johnson, Billy and I looked at each other nervously. The side of the white structure had obviously seen fire damage. Several bodies of random looters decorated the front lawn. "Oh, God! Norma! My home!" Chick fell to his knees. "I'm too late."

"I SWEAR I'LL KILL THE FIRST SONOFABITCH WHO STEPS FOOT ON MY PROPERTY!" came a shrill battle cry from inside the house. Billy whipped out our communal revolver and we all hit the dirt. To our amazement, a young woman with dark brown hair and bright blue eyes stared out at us behind the barrel of an old bolt-action rifle, a relic of the last war. Her face was blackened both by the storms and the gunpowder from the battle she had obviously been fighting against looters for who knows how long. She was wearing a silver silk blouse that at one time would have been expensive and exquisite before the current stains ruined it. She paired it with some double-buttoned black sailor-style pants that came up high on her waist. When she realized who she was looking at, she lowered the rifle and sighed, slumping against the door frame. "Chicky-baby, you know what this kinda shit does to my asthma! Get me the hell away from this place!"

Chick wiped away his tears and went running as fast as his aging legs could take him toward his young wife. Billy and I stared slack-jawed at each other. "Oh, Norma! Jehovah be praised, you're safe!" he blubbered, holding her tight as she dropped the rifle.

"Thanks to your old field piece, Chicky," she said, giving him a peck on the cheek. "If you could kill some Californian Bonapartists with it I figured I could lick a few common criminals."

"Well, that's not what I was expecting. Pardon my 'frog' and nothing against Brother Chick but I sorta expected to find a dead old grandmother, not this, uh, interesting young woman," Billy said to me out of earshot, his sandy-colored eyebrows raised as high as he could get them.

I laughed quietly and told him, "I guess you don't run a massive real estate company without proving your, um, fluidation in other ways, Billy. C'mon, let's get them packed up and get the heck out of here."

"Amen, Andy," Billy said, once again packing the revolver away under his jacket. "Amen." He shot a strange look at Chick's wife, scratching his head. I didn't like the look and it seemed uncharacteristic of him at the time to care much about women, especially gun-toting cursing women, but I instantly had a bad feeling about it. I sighed. I didn't think my life could get worse but I didn't want to test that theory.

Last edited: