What if the Social Democrats rebuilt Germany?

This is an interesting thread, but I just don't see a united neutral Germany happening without a good deal of changes in the diplomatic positions by all the powers, and this includes France. It was difficult enough to get unification through in 1990. While it is a good point that Austria post 1955 would be a good model, Germany is a good deal more powerful than Austria. I could see it happening only with the occupying powers retaining and exercising a lot more rights to interfere in German domestic politics. I think a more disunited Germany is a more likely postwar scenario than an united Germany.

Also, if I remember correctly, West Germany neither rearmed nor joined NATO until the 1950s ITTL, while the unification and neutralization of Austria happened around the same time. And this was during period of relative relaxation of Cold War tensions. So I don't think there will be much apparent divergence between the Schumacher government and the Adendauer government initially, and a Schumacher government might be shortlived. It may not accomplish much then give way to a center-right government.

Also a neutral germany should lead to some interesting points regarding oil/gas. It would be a prime candidate to buy from the soviets and also transship the oil to west europe maybe even the uk when the arabian oil price goes up.

Also i would think the neutral germany would be limited by the reunification treaty to a small military. Dont think france would accept anything less.

Overall if the wirtschaftswunder happens even to a less succesfull degree that new germany would be a powerhouse later on.