Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Sweet! I'd like at least three so we don't get down to a binary choice, anybody mind if I extend it to 10:30 Monday night (my time)? That would take it from a 6 day challenge to a 10 day one and give people kicking around an idea time to work on it

The Ultrahuman Republic of Madagascar
tekmic.png

When the ultrahumans began appearing in the 2030s, conflict was bound to happen. There was no shortage of extremists on either side. From the Puritans to the Beyond Sapiens Movement, what we learned more than anything was that humanity was not ready.

But humanity didn't get a choice. While this tableau provided plenty of chances for heroism from humans and ultrahumans alike, it became apparent that maybe the right first step was to separate and let both groups get used to the new normal. Madagascar had been rescued by ultrahumans from a tsunami in 2036, and had been a relatively safe haven for them since that time. In 2040, the Coexistence Summit (sponsored by the United Nations Commission on Ultrahumans) brokered the arrangement that led to the establishment of the Ultrahuman Republic of Madagascar in 2042. Established as a nation populated mainly, and ruled entirely, by ultrahumans, the hope was that natural systems of control would be established within the ultrahuman society and that humanity would have time to get used to the existence of these forces of nature.

As of 2050, the jury is still out.
The flag of the URM is a tricolor with a stylized double helix. The green stands for nature, stressing the belief that ultrahumans are a natural successor to humanity. The red stands for the willingness of the ultrahumans to defend themselves from aggression - they will shed blood to protect their kind. The blue stands for the hope of peace with humanity.

Fun! That's my threshold met with two hours to spare! You all came through in the clutch and I appreciate it for my first ever challenge 😊 If there's no one racing to the finish line on their entry I'll keep my original deadline of tonight and put the poll up in a few hours

The Ultrahuman Republic of Madagascar
View attachment 660170

When the ultrahumans began appearing in the 2030s, conflict was bound to happen. There was no shortage of extremists on either side. From the Puritans to the Beyond Sapiens Movement, what we learned more than anything was that humanity was not ready.

But humanity didn't get a choice. While this tableau provided plenty of chances for heroism from humans and ultrahumans alike, it became apparent that maybe the right first step was to separate and let both groups get used to the new normal. Madagascar had been rescued by ultrahumans from a tsunami in 2036, and had been a relatively safe haven for them since that time. In 2040, the Coexistence Summit (sponsored by the United Nations Commission on Ultrahumans) brokered the arrangement that led to the establishment of the Ultrahuman Republic of Madagascar in 2042. Established as a nation populated mainly, and ruled entirely, by ultrahumans, the hope was that natural systems of control would be established within the ultrahuman society and that humanity would have time to get used to the existence of these forces of nature.

As of 2050, the jury is still out.
The flag of the URM is a tricolor with a stylized double helix. The green stands for nature, stressing the belief that ultrahumans are a natural successor to humanity. The red stands for the willingness of the ultrahumans to defend themselves from aggression - they will shed blood to protect their kind. The blue stands for the hope of peace with humanity.
I like it! It's like Genosha under Magneto

New challenge!

FLAG CHALLENGE #250: Redesign

For this challenge, you will need to select a current, national level flag that you believe could use a redesign. For your entry, include the original (thumbnail or behind spoilers) and your redesign.

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: Tuesday, June 29, NOON Eastern Daylight Time

Please remember to review the RULES, especially concerning flag size. This is NOT a multi-flag entry. The original flags for the country can be demonstrated as thumbnails or behind spoilers. Your redesign will follow the normal size rules: For an image in a single-flag entry, the shortest side must be 600 pixels or less, and the longest side must be 1200 pixels or less.

We've done similar. I don't know how recently.
It’s one year ago, quite recent by weekly flag challenge standard.
WFC #226: The Ol' Switcharoo

Pick two OTL flags, one that is generally considered good and one that is generally considered bad (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you want, you can mention why you think one is a good design and one is a bad one). Then redesign each one with the styling of the other. You should link the originals, please don't include them as images since a post with 2 pics will be pretty big already, so 4 will be cumbersome to read.

Note that some pairs won't work. If you pick for example, Poland and Indonesia, with the argument "Indonesia's is bad because it's nearly undistiguishable" you won't be able to realize a submission. So try to pick flags that are pretty different from eachother.

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 29th of June, 12:00 GMT

Doubleposting wooo...

Last edited:
A vague effort from me I'm afraid

The Kingdom of Norway

Original:
320px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png

Remake:
FlagofNorway2s.png

(Edit: slightly different version using my work laptop)

Last edited: