Visconti Victorious: Medieval Italian Unification

I have to say that I am quite convinced: the sublimation of the most psychopathic aspects of Giovanni Maria's personality into a successful general works for me, and I would say that I can always willingly sign for a Tyrwin Lannister whose open cruelty was balanced by many other qualities and anyway was not for its own sake but rather to drive home a message (on the subject, the episode where the dogs of young Giovanni Maria are put to death reminded me of a similar episode in the Game of Thrones, when Tyrion got involved with the young girl he wanted to marry).

I've however a few other nitpicks:
  • the crown of Arles is (theoretically at least) on a par with the crowns of Germany and Italy: they belong to the emperor, and the pope cannot invest someone else with it (and he could not invest GG with the crown of Italy). I believe that a case might be made for the dissolution of the HRE, but it would anyway require the emperor to be completely defeated.
  • The Savoy holdings in Piedmont are at this stage not really impressive: they do not control the Marquisate of Saluzzo nor the Montferrat, and the Visconti already hold Vercelli, Casale and Asti as well as the lands given in dowry to Giovanna of Savoy. The Principality of Piedmont (Turin and its hinterlands) is ruled by a cadet branch of the Savoy, the Savoy-Achaia, although the last prince has no direct heirs and will go to the main Savoy line on his death in 1416. Handing over the rich Provence in exchange for Aosta, Ivrea and the Val di Susa would not be a great bargain for GG. It would make much more sense to invest Amadeus with Dauphine, which is also bordering Savoy (Amadeus of Savoy did participate in the French invasion, didn't it?). There is still the problem of how to make this investiture legal, but I suppose that a case might be made where GG has reclaimed the former kingdom of Arles from the Anjou interlopers and in his persona as Imperial Vicar could appoint Amadeus as duke of Dauphine and Savoy. A bit of lawyering, but with adequate bribes might hold.
  • GG has a third living son, Gabriele Maria. He's illegitimate, but GG left him the lordships of Pisa, Vercelli and Crema in his OTL will. I suppose he might still get the lordship of Pisa, with the task to keep an eye on the rest of Tuscany too.
  • there are still independent states in the north-east of Italy: besides Venice (which appears to be aligned with GG but which also deserves some comments from you: did they buy back Dalmatia from the Hungarians ITTL?), there are the Patriarchy of Aquileia which holds most of Friuli (OTL Venice absorbed almost all of his lands by 1460), the counts of Gorz/Gorizia with some impressive holdings in Istria, Friuli and Slovenia and the prince-bishop of Trento. All of these are obviously imperial fiefs

Damn I actually feel really bad for France, they just can't get a break. I think Savoy might bite on the offer to switch peidmont for Provence if Gian also gives him Dauphin. Great update, I'd love to see a map soon.

Believe it or not I actually thought about killing Henry at not!Agincourt. Basically he gets a few unlucky breaks- the different time and place means it doesn't rain as much so the mud isn't as big an issue, and more Frenchmen show up for whatever reason, causing Henry to be overwhelmed and killed along with most of his army.

But from the moment I placed him in Aquitaine I realized he would inevitably try to coordinate with the Italians; and he would naturally show up in Aquitaine. The English claim to France was always something of a pipe dream and a bargaining chip and they knew it- their main concern was getting France to renounce any claim to dominion over Aquitaine. It was only with the massive successes of OTL that they seriously entertained actually ruling in France, and why not when they could claim half of it as their own and conquer a good part of the rest. Henry is also acting ostensibly in support of Castille, so a southern strategy works, moreover as the Dauphin is only 13/14 as opposed to the 18 year old man at the time of Agincourt trying to draw him out for a contest at arms to prove his claim to the throne doesn't work.

Factor in the burgeoning Burgundy-Armagnac feud, which was pretty much inevitable, and the Anjou being bogged down in Spain (I needed them and France distracted to keep them from invading Italy anyway) and it added up to a very painful picture, so I ran with it. A weak France is beneficial to Italy's chances at consolidation, anyway.

Will we get a post-war map?

I actually intended to make a map or two for the current campaigns but I got lazy/impatient and posted anyway. But yes a map is long overdue at this point and post-war is as good a time as any.

I have to say that I am quite convinced: the sublimation of the most psychopathic aspects of Giovanni Maria's personality into a successful general works for me, and I would say that I can always willingly sign for a Tyrwin Lannister whose open cruelty was balanced by many other qualities and anyway was not for its own sake but rather to drive home a message (on the subject, the episode where the dogs of young Giovanni Maria are put to death reminded me of a similar episode in the Game of Thrones, when Tyrion got involved with the young girl he wanted to marry).

I've however a few other nitpicks:
  • the crown of Arles is (theoretically at least) on a par with the crowns of Germany and Italy: they belong to the emperor, and the pope cannot invest someone else with it (and he could not invest GG with the crown of Italy). I believe that a case might be made for the dissolution of the HRE, but it would anyway require the emperor to be completely defeated.
  • The Savoy holdings in Piedmont are at this stage not really impressive: they do not control the Marquisate of Saluzzo nor the Montferrat, and the Visconti already hold Vercelli, Casale and Asti as well as the lands given in dowry to Giovanna of Savoy. The Principality of Piedmont (Turin and its hinterlands) is ruled by a cadet branch of the Savoy, the Savoy-Achaia, although the last prince has no direct heirs and will go to the main Savoy line on his death in 1416. Handing over the rich Provence in exchange for Aosta, Ivrea and the Val di Susa would not be a great bargain for GG. It would make much more sense to invest Amadeus with Dauphine, which is also bordering Savoy (Amadeus of Savoy did participate in the French invasion, didn't it?). There is still the problem of how to make this investiture legal, but I suppose that a case might be made where GG has reclaimed the former kingdom of Arles from the Anjou interlopers and in his persona as Imperial Vicar could appoint Amadeus as duke of Dauphine and Savoy. A bit of lawyering, but with adequate bribes might hold.
  • GG has a third living son, Gabriele Maria. He's illegitimate, but GG left him the lordships of Pisa, Vercelli and Crema in his OTL will. I suppose he might still get the lordship of Pisa, with the task to keep an eye on the rest of Tuscany too.
  • there are still independent states in the north-east of Italy: besides Venice (which appears to be aligned with GG but which also deserves some comments from you: did they buy back Dalmatia from the Hungarians ITTL?), there are the Patriarchy of Aquileia which holds most of Friuli (OTL Venice absorbed almost all of his lands by 1460), the counts of Gorz/Gorizia with some impressive holdings in Istria, Friuli and Slovenia and the prince-bishop of Trento. All of these are obviously imperial fiefs

Gian Galeazzo basically shelved Trentino, Friuli and Venetia because he knew acting too heavily there would bring the emperor across the mountains. That said those are the logical next steps for Italy's expansion, not least since it gives them a buffer against future German invasions.

The entire Provence deal was never seriously entertained by Gian Galeazzo himself- he was basically laying out carrots for Savoy to get them to jump on the French with both feet. As with Naples he was keeping his options open and using his allies and eldest son as expendable catspaws- even if the Anjou had failed spectacularly and Gian Maria died, he had already gotten a royal crown and the Romagna out of the bargain and would happily have backstabbed Benedict in exchange for getting recognition from the Colonna pope. With Provence he's doing it again- even if it the whole thing falls apart, it's only a setback for Milan, and Savoy- which committed rather heavily- would be left holding the bag and all the more pliable to him and the new Montferrat queen consort, likewise if Gian Maria died/dies in France he still had another son; the main and only essential goal was making mischief for Anjou and seizing Joanna to legitimize his hold on Naples. Everything else, including Gian Maria turning out to be actually pretty good at this whole leading armies thing, is just a big fat Christmas present. That said trading the Dauphine for Piedmont (including Nice because why not) would create a useful buffer state, OTOH if he keeps it he controls the frontier with France and basically surrounds Savoy, making future annexation/influence easier....

In regards to Venice, I initially figured it would go as OTL, but on reflection I think Ladislaus- despite the ongoing civil war- will be implacably opposed to any Venetian expansion, as they are allied to the Visconti, who are naturally on his naughty list at this point. Venice didn't get Dalmatia and was stymied in Friuli, something which drew them closer to Milan and will come up after France is dealt with.

This is an excellent POD and this TL is shaping up fairly well, altgough I must say that I am a bit wary about the fast pace of the Milanese expansion and especially about the campaign in France. I get these are the lowest points of the hundred years war, and the way you created the network of alliances is credible (and well-written), but it looks like overextention to me.

Consider also that the campaign must be done with mercenary condottieri who are highly paid professionals and cannot just be paid off with loot. Hence the Italian cities are being taxed to fund a civil war in France. This won't settle well with many people, influent people and with a significant part of the mobile forces out of Italy and not in conditions to reinforce the Viscontean garrisons I see Bologna, Firenze and several other cities as very likely to rebel.

This is an excellent POD and this TL is shaping up fairly well, altgough I must say that I am a bit wary about the fast pace of the Milanese expansion and especially about the campaign in France. I get these are the lowest points of the hundred years war, and the way you created the network of alliances is credible (and well-written), but it looks like overextention to me.

Consider also that the campaign must be done with mercenary condottieri who are highly paid professionals and cannot just be paid off with loot. Hence the Italian cities are being taxed to fund a civil war in France. This won't settle well with many people, influent people and with a significant part of the mobile forces out of Italy and not in conditions to reinforce the Viscontean garrisons I see Bologna, Firenze and several other cities as very likely to rebel.
Finance is in fact the next update. That said looting Southern France is a major draw, and IMHO if England can send an army to Aquitane then Italian state can manage it too. Do note that they only got as far as they did because 1) they cooperated with Henry V, the dude responsible for Agincourt, 2) because there are literally no French armies south of the Loire (because France is repeatedly shooting itself in the foot even as Italy and England take hammers to its knees) until the raid is over and Provence subjugated, and 3) the Anjou were on the wrong side of the Pyrenees and battling Castille, a fairly powerful kingdom. Visconti also had the full support of the Savoy (who are a respectable regional power in their own right, probably the only significant Italian power left aside from the Visconti and Venice) and two rich dowries from both Montferrat and Savoy on top of his own resources. This was first and foremost a raid (to free Joanna) which met with wild success far beyond expectations due to France being a wreck and Gian Galeazzo a monster.

The Wolf of Lombardy
The Wolf of Lombardy

As the Angevin army passed through Languedoc, the magnitude of the destruction made itself apparent in the maimed landscape and the haunted subjects who inhabited it “like wraiths in a graveyard.” Whatever Louis had believed was happening in France, he clearly did not expect to return to find France utterly desolate. The king, upon sight of Narbonne's blackened ruins, promptly swore to God that he would seek vengeance “for the people of France” against the Wolf of Lombardy, or else perish in the attempt.

It is unknown precisely where or when le Loup de Lombardie first gained his moniker, but in the winter of 1411 the people of Narbonne and Montpelier made their opinions of the Italian warlord abundantly clear to Louis and his soldiers. Louis' thoughts are somewhat difficult to imagine; a fair number of the men in his army knew Gian Maria personally, though it was difficult for them to match the dreadful brat of 1408 with the grim spectre of 1411. Louis himself, who had once pledged his own daughter to the man in question, publicly insisted on nothing less than his violent demise and frequently expounded in graphic detail how this was to be accomplished.

Unwilling to further burden the Catalans with his presence Louis advanced rapidly through the south, but Gian Maria had thoroughly despoiled the land, and soon Louis' men were struggling to find adequate supplies, and some even dared suggest returning to sunny Barcelona for the winter and returning in the spring. Yet to turn back was unconsciousable, not with the perpetrator so close at hand, and despite his later reputation Louis felt a solemn responsibility to skin this beast in the shape of a man.

Gian Maria by this time was firmly in control of the Rhone. His scouts quickly informed him of Louis approach, and he dispatched a light cavalry force across the river with orders to harry the Anjou and slow their advance. This they accomplished, and by the time Louis came face to face with his prey his army was tired, hungry, sore- and angry.

1200px-Beaucaire_vue.JPG

Beaucaire, modern day
On December 7th 1411, Louis of Anjou and Gian Maria Visconti met under flag of parlay on a bridge over the Rhone in the city of Beaucaire, a city six miles north of Arles on the right bank of the Rhone. Situated on the Via Dominita, the first Roman road from Italy to Spain, the city was an ancient crossroads between the two provinces, and it was here that the fates of Italy, Spain, and France would be set on their paths. Gian Maria held both Beaucaire and the city of Tarascon on the opposite bank of the river. Despite being significantly outnumbered by the French his men were rested, well provisioned, and confident in the “Iron Serpent” and his record. Crucially, Gian Maria additionally held all of the major crossings and cities, from Arles to Lyons, and he did not need to attack, whereas if Louis wished to avenge the people of France and reclaim his stolen lands he needed to force the river, and both men knew it.

Map.jpg

Provence, the site of the battle in red​

For all his previous bluster Louis' initial offer was decidedly conciliatory. He offered to renounce his claims to Naples and Sicily if Gian Maria vacated Provence, even suggesting that the betrothal with his daughter could be renewed. Gian Maria flatly refused, demanding not only recognition of all his gains but a further indemnity. Louis balked, and Gian threatened him with violence, only calming at the intercession of his lieutenant Muzio Sforza.

Unbeknownst to the Italians, however, the negotiations were only a distraction. After driving off the Italian outriders Louis had split his forces under cover of darkness, sending a quarter of his army north to find and force a crossing. This force succeeded in overwhelming the Italian squadron at Montfaucon nearly twenty miles upriver. The men succeeded in destroying the Italians before they could send word, but erred when they strayed into Avignon on their ride south. Avignon, as papal territory, had a strong garrison, and for all his heinousness Gian Maria would not dare attack papal lands, or so they believed. In truth Gian Maria had laid a trap at Avignon, believing that Louis would attempt a crossing there if he found the rest of the river barred- his men had been in wait just south of the city, prepared to ambush the French as they crossed the river. News of Louis' location convinced Gian Maria to abandon this position and he rushed south, leaving behind only a small contingent of cavalry to guard his flank. It was this cavalry which stumbled into the French ambush party. Drastically outnumbered, they wisely chose retreat, riding hard for the main camp to the south with the French on their heels. Gian Maria quickly redeployed his forces to the north. His camp was in good order, but most of his hastily erected defenses were to the south and the west- he had anticipated a crossing at Arles or Avignon, or a battle on the banks of the river, not this double assault. Louis himself rapidly understood the implications of Visconti's movement and immediately ordered a general attack. The Lombards beat a hasty retreat from their position on the right bank, forming ranks along the right bank of the bridge, meanwhile the rest of the French descended on them from the north.

Ultimately Louis' gambit cost him the battle. The entrenched position of the Lombards meant they could rapidly redeploy, while Louis, in splitting his forces, was unable to concentrate enough force to effect a breakthrough. The northern force routed by midday, and free of this distraction the Lombards inexorably forced the French back across the river. In the chaos Louis of Anjou was dragged from his horse and captured. A wiser man would have kept such a valuable prize, but Gian Maria wasted no time in exacting his vengeance: Louis was hacked apart and fed to the king's dogs, chief among them the pet he himself had received from Louis as a wedding gift three years before.

History is not kind to King Louis of Anjou. As one of the “royal vultures” who left France to burn whilst he pursued “his Spanish folly” Louis naturally drew harsh condemnation both from pro-monarchical commentators and nationalist historians alike. Yet to dismiss Louis as a short-sighted and selfish fool dramatically underestimates the rapid success the Angevin cause found in both Naples and in Aragon; to suggest that Louis, a man clearly competent as both a commander and strategist, ignored the ramifications of the English invasion out of short sighted greed and thus lost France, Spain, and Italy all together treats his eventual defeat and death as immutable, to say nothing of assuming that he had up to date information on proceedings across a mountain range and hundreds of miles of two separate kingdoms wracked by war and banditry. It is an open question whether he was even aware of the war in France beyond the vaguest rumors of English raiders in Aquitaine, and in any case at the conclusion of 1411 the Angevin cause was far from lost, and it was hardly implausible for Louis to believe he could have reversed all of the Visconti conquests.

With Louis' defeat the last threat to Visconti dominion in Provence was eliminated. In the wake of his death the Anjou lost nearly everything: his young sons were unable to rally their family, and their inheritance was stripped from them one province at a time. Lorraine passed firmly into Burgundian hands by the Peace of Reims, along with Champagne; King Ferdinand of Aragon promptly reneged on the Treaty of Zaragoza and invaded Aragon, seizing all of that kingdom and forcing James of Urgell to flee to France with what remained of the treasury. The Catalan pretender promptly established himself in Montpelier, and between his exiled followers, the remnants of Louis' army, and the gold quickly made himself the lord of Languedoc. “King James the Just” gave the benighted region much needed stability, but in so doing effectively stripped that province from France, although for now he paid nominal fealty to the French king in Paris.

Gian Maria celebrated his victory in Marseilles by impaling five hundred French prisoners along right bank of the Rhone “as warning to France what it means to defy my dominion here.” He and his army returned across the Alps in March as soon as the passes were clear of ice, and entered Milan as conquering heroes.

For Gian Maria, his Triumphal procession into Milan was the proudest moment of his young life. For the first time in two decades, he enjoyed the adulation of the Milanese public. Even his father spoke glowingly of his conquests, offering nothing but praise for the exuberant young conqueror. To the end of his days Gian Maria always sought to recapture this transient glory, and enjoy once more some fraction of the joy of March 14th 1412. None of his future conquests would satisfy him as this one did.

With the spring came a renewed English offensive into Aquitaine. Charles the Mad, besieged on all sides, readily acquiesced to all of Visconti's demands, ceding all of the lands east of the Rhone in exchange for peace and a paltry sum of 80,000 florins. This was far less than what had been looted from France; indeed much of the gold came from Toulouse at Gian Maria's insistence. The “blood price of Provence” entered into French history as a national disgrace, and the capstone in Gian Maria's terrible legend. For generations to come, the French, and especially the peoples of Languedoc, terrified their children with tales of the terrible Wolf of Lombardy.

France Post War.jpg

French losses, post 1412. Red is to England, Purple to Milan, Orange to Burgundy. Note that Languedoc in the South is de facto independent under King James of Urgell but it still claims allegiance to King Charles​

Last edited:
I sort of promised a general map, but well... I'll get to it.:biggrin:

In one or two updates, specifically, given... certain developments it seems like a natural break point.

I have some concerns too about the Milanese becoming overextended, but at the same time my concerns are not the same as yours.
Almost 10 years have passed since the surrender of Florence and Bologna, and the situation in north Italy has been mostly peaceful and commerce have prospered, since the Visconti controls all the trade routes from Italy to central and western Europe. GG's policy has been traditionally to control conquered cities by using local men, and the end to internal squabbles will have certainly endeared him to the general populace and in particular to the merchant class. Who is going to sign for an anti-Visconti league in Italy, and most importantly who is going to fund it with Florence in GG's hands and Venice as an ally? Who wants to go back to the situation of the 1380s and 1390s when there were again a lot of condottieri being hired but all the fighting was done in Italy?
In one way GG may look like he has been playing like a demented gambler, but I believe he has rather been taking advantage of the existing chaos in western Europe (the Great Western Schism, a weak and ineffective HRE, the Anjou ambitions, the disputed succession in Aragon) and has surfed over the waves of chaos. I do agree with @The Undead Martyr when he says that both Naples and Provence ventures are margin bets for GG, where he can always extract with relatively minor losses and leave the footing of the bill to his allies. He may have had a string of luck, but he played his cards very well.
The real problem he faces now is to arrange a soft landing (after all most of his acquisition have been by naked force or by twisting the arm of a weak pope, but he lack the legitimacy and must juggle all the balls in the air while he forges a unified - for a certain value of unified - state). OTOH possession is 9/10 of the law and the principle of "quia ego sic dico" has certainly some value in a court of law, if no one is in the position to force him to back down.
The other problem is the succession: neither of his legitimate sons has yet sired a son (the bastard Gabriele Maria has, but on the wrong side of the blanket again) and GG is 61 now. He can have another 5-10 years top to put the frosting and the cherries on his cake.

I'm surprised they don't call this the 'gang rape of France' (pardon the vulgarity). This may seem strange to ask but someone pointed out earlier that Kingship of Italy couldn't be given by the pope. It seems to be a title under the HRE, and I'm guessing can only be given by whomever that is. How do you plan on reconsiling this? Have Gian declare himself King anyway and cede all nominal temporal authority away from the Emporer? Maybe he can be granted the Kingship and try to bribe his way to an electorship? I'm honestly very curious, and again want to compliment u on your top notch and hasty writing. Also I just wanted to say Tha since u seem intent on making Gian the younger the next Tywin, will u be starting a tradition of serpent epithets for the rulers of Milan/Italy. "The Iron serpent", "The sly serpent", "the crooked serpent" that would be cool as hell.

I suspect that if Gian Maria are ever captured in battle there will be no ransom for him, and if the people capturing him doesn't decide to torture him to death, he will find his imprisonment far more unpleasant than it's common for captured nobility.

I'm surprised they don't call this the 'gang rape of France' (pardon the vulgarity). This may seem strange to ask but someone pointed out earlier that Kingship of Italy couldn't be given by the pope. It seems to be a title under the HRE, and I'm guessing can only be given by whomever that is. How do you plan on reconsiling this? Have Gian declare himself King anyway and cede all nominal temporal authority away from the Emporer? Maybe he can be granted the Kingship and try to bribe his way to an electorship? I'm honestly very curious, and again want to compliment u on your top notch and hasty writing. Also I just wanted to say Tha since u seem intent on making Gian the younger the next Tywin, will u be starting a tradition of serpent epithets for the rulers of Milan/Italy. "The Iron serpent", "The sly serpent", "the crooked serpent" that would be cool as hell.
Well, The Iron Serpent is his nickname in Lombardy, the French call him a Wolf (and plenty of other things which are not fit for civilized conversation.)

I will say that we won't see a Visconti "king of Italy" for quite some time yet. I've settled on how it happens, and when, roughly, but it's a long way off.

Right now Gian Galeazzo's highest title is "King of Sardinia and Corsica" followed by the Duke of Milan and a bunch of other places, all of which are under agnatic primogeniture since 1409ish. Gian Maria, heir to the throne, is King in Sicily and Mallorca as well as the Count of Provence, whilst Filippo Maria is King of Naples. So they have royal titles, just not the Italian throne and certainly not the Imperial crown, which belongs to the Luxemburgs.
Bribing the electors is definitely a possibility, but only if the Luxemburgs die out. The tendency OTL was for a family to get the throne and then keep it, until they either got horribly unlucky or went extinct or both. Right now the Luxemburgs have two electorates- though Brandenburg is recently pawned to the Hohenzollerns (yes, those Hohenzollerns, this is how they got started up the ladder from petty counts as Karl Marx lampooned) in payment of his debts- and if they die out the Wettins and especially the Wittlesbachs of the Palatinate (along with the Habsburgs of Austria) are all liable to put their hats in the ring. Overcoming that won't be easy even for someone as rich as the Visconti.

Simply usurping the crown is exceedingly unlikely without a war or multiple wars, though not impossible, if say Gian Maria defeats and captures Ladislaus on his way to Rome or whatever. Getting that to stick however will require multiple wars, and the nobility have very very very long memories- the English didn't drop their claims to France until around the time of Napoleon, and IIRC the Spanish kings still claim Naples and Jerusalam among other things. Usurping the crown IOW practically guarantees France-England levels of animosity for multiple centuries and endemic warfare on the northern border. Not to say it couldn't happen- Gian Maria is the man to do it if anyone does- but it would have rather dramatic consequences as opposed to more diplomatic means.

If anyone is the Sly Serpent it's Gian Galeazzo himself. I've been calling him a lot of things, mainly because "Gian Galeazzo Visconti" is a mouthful, and I'm not always consistent with his titles either (should be King Visconti, not Duke, since 1408ish) but "The Grand (Old) Duke" seems like a fitting epitaph.

I have some concerns too about the Milanese becoming overextended, but at the same time my concerns are not the same as yours.
Almost 10 years have passed since the surrender of Florence and Bologna, and the situation in north Italy has been mostly peaceful and commerce have prospered, since the Visconti controls all the trade routes from Italy to central and western Europe. GG's policy has been traditionally to control conquered cities by using local men, and the end to internal squabbles will have certainly endeared him to the general populace and in particular to the merchant class. Who is going to sign for an anti-Visconti league in Italy, and most importantly who is going to fund it with Florence in GG's hands and Venice as an ally? Who wants to go back to the situation of the 1380s and 1390s when there were again a lot of condottieri being hired but all the fighting was done in Italy?
In one way GG may look like he has been playing like a demented gambler, but I believe he has rather been taking advantage of the existing chaos in western Europe (the Great Western Schism, a weak and ineffective HRE, the Anjou ambitions, the disputed succession in Aragon) and has surfed over the waves of chaos. I do agree with @The Undead Martyr when he says that both Naples and Provence ventures are margin bets for GG, where he can always extract with relatively minor losses and leave the footing of the bill to his allies. He may have had a string of luck, but he played his cards very well.
The real problem he faces now is to arrange a soft landing (after all most of his acquisition have been by naked force or by twisting the arm of a weak pope, but he lack the legitimacy and must juggle all the balls in the air while he forges a unified - for a certain value of unified - state). OTOH possession is 9/10 of the law and the principle of "quia ego sic dico" has certainly some value in a court of law, if no one is in the position to force him to back down.
The other problem is the succession: neither of his legitimate sons has yet sired a son (the bastard Gabriele Maria has, but on the wrong side of the blanket again) and GG is 61 now. He can have another 5-10 years top to put the frosting and the cherries on his cake.
Gian Galeazzo did get rather lucky, but so did a lot of other people (Prussia, the Habsburgs, the Ottomans, the Romans, the Arabs, the British, AMERICA...) and I felt like giving him a bit of luck was fair given the enormity of the task laying before him. Indeed, the succession is the key. As I mentioned earlier Gian Galeazzo and his sons have already hammered out their deal between them but everything will be formalized soon enough if it isn't already.

Remember Machiavelli's remarks on Princes inheriting old states. Gian Galeazzo's dynasty isn't that old (well, Milan is, but the rest of it nope) but twenty odd years is a long time and Gian Maria as a twenty to forty year old commander with a reputation somewhere between Ghenghis Khan and William the Conqueror isn't someone to rebel against on a dime.

His sons don't have any children yet largely because (IIRC) none of their brides are old enough to marry yet. Not to say that they will have kids, eventually, but there's a reason why it hasn't come up yet (though I might give either or both brothers a bastard or two at some point...)

I suspect that if Gian Maria are ever captured in battle there will be no ransom for him, and if the people capturing him doesn't decide to torture him to death, he will find his imprisonment far more unpleasant than it's common for captured nobility.
:cool:Many battles are in Gian Maria's future. That is all I will say for now.

If anyone is the Sly Serpent it's Gian Galeazzo himself. I've been calling him a lot of things, mainly because "Gian Galeazzo Visconti" is a mouthful, and I'm not always consistent with his titles either (should be King Visconti, not Duke, since 1408ish) but "The Grand (Old) Duke" seems like a fitting epitaph.
As a matter of fact, GG was known as Winter Viper, since he usually continued campaigns in winter against the common usage. Needless to say that it was a Florentine who first came out with this invective, but Visconti supporters took it up as a badge of pride.

Remember Machiavelli's remarks on Princes inheriting old states. Gian Galeazzo's dynasty isn't that old (well, Milan is, but the rest of it nope) but twenty odd years is a long time and Gian Maria as a twenty to forty year old commander with a reputation somewhere between Ghenghis Khan and William the Conqueror isn't someone to rebel against on a dime.
Not too many executions but also not too few?
Families will forget spilled blood but not stolen property?
Never do anyone a little mischief?
Choose your pick :)

His sons don't have any children yet largely because (IIRC) none of their brides are old enough to marry yet. Not to say that they will have kids, eventually, but there's a reason why it hasn't come up yet (though I might give either or both brothers a bastard or two at some point...)
As a matter of fact, Giovanna of Savoy was born in 1392, and would have been beddable for some time by 1411.
Sofia of Montferrat was born in 1399, so there is still some time before the marriage is consummated (or a better potential bride is selected: funnily enough the same thing happened IOTL too, where Giovanni Maria and Sofia were handfasted in 1404 but it was cancelled in 1408. Kudos if you planned this in advance, after all the Wolf of Lombardy might aim higher after the glory gained in Provence)

Savoy is married to Gian Maria and GG has no plans to break that betrothal, to ensure they don't try to jump ship and cement the entire Visconti-Savoy-Burgundy Middle Europe bloc, and also give them a claim on Savoy itself; in the long term the overriding Visconti strategic goal vis a vis Italy's landward neighbors is to annex or otherwise control all of the Arelate and the rest of the Alpine borderlands (Carinthia, Tirol, Switzerland, all or part of Illyria) in order to prevent anyone from invading them. Of course they also naturally want to expand in the Mediterranean, certainly in Greece and the Levant among other places if they get the chance, and with the Baleares, Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily as well as Venice as an ally and Aragon and France in flames they basically own the Western Mediterranean at this point already. How much of this they get, and how long it lasts is up in the air, but TTL's Italy will be a major power, if not the traditional great power on the continent that France was OTL, and her territorial ambitions will reflect that fact.

Ah, I'm going off of Wiki right now and... Giovanna isn't there? I mean even in the 15th century I can buy a girl being overlooked, and if necessary I can create a new daughter for Gian Maria to marry. I kind of want him married by 1420 or so, too early is bad, too late is worse.

Anyway it's Filippo Maria who is going to marry the Montferrat. Now that he's a king he could change his mind but the prospect of reviving the old claims to Greece has enticed him into keeping the match, not least since the Ottomans are still in a civil war following Bayezid's death in Tamerlane's dungeon.

Interesting about the Winter Serpent, it's a great nickname and I'll definitely use it (maybe the Sly Serpent is Filippo then?)

I vaguely remember reading that Provence declared itself a Papal fief either during the Investiture Controversy or as part of the Anjou invasion under Charles. Given the question of Provence I'd like to know if anyone can clarify on that?

Heresy and Greed
Heresy and Greed

The annexation of Provence opened interesting strategic opportunities for Milan. Traditionally, Italy relied upon the Alps for defense, and while the Alps were an effective frontier, they only worked if Italy was strong, as political disunity, internal instability, military weakness, or any combination of the three allowed the barbarians easy passage through the Alps. The strategy also had little redundancy- if any one of the passes were breached, an army could then enter into Lombardy and freely ravage the economic core of the Visconti domain. Although this could be remedied somewhat- using the Po and old Roman Roads and with the strong walls of the cities to ward off invaders- Visconti believed that letting any enemy into Lombardy at all represented an unacceptable strategic failure regardless of the outcome. Far better to have buffer marches across the Alps- better to fight potential invaders in the rugged mountains of Austria or Switzerland than the rich Padanian plain.

Provence effectively provided the kingdom with a second layer of defense from the west. The wealthy coastline was sheltered to the east and north by the Alps, and bounded on the west by the Rhone, which as Gian Maria proved at Beucaire was an effective position for repelling an enemy army. Any defending forces could be ferried up and down river as needed, and further reinforcements sent from Italy along the well traveled coastal cities and roads. France was presently on her knees, but Gian Visconti knew that his neighbor's impotence would not last forever.

Correspondingly by the end of 1413 Italian engineers swarmed into Lyons, tasked with surveying the Rhone basin, and all its roads, fortresses, walls, bridges, and defenses in preparation for new construction. At Gian Maria's suggestion the condotierri Muzio Sforza was given the position of Warden of the Rhone, and given a standing guard of five hundred cavalry to garrison that city.

Despite his earlier promises to the Savoy Gian Visconti ultimately decided to keep all of Provence for himself. Trading Provence or the Dauphine for Piedmont would give him near total control over the western passages and establish a friendly buffer across the Alps, but in diplomacy alliances were always ad hoc affairs- as the denouement of the Anjou-Visconti alliance dramatically proved- and if he kept Provence, even if it meant defending against France himself, his territory almost completely surrounded Savoy, and there would be only a single point of failure- the integrity of the Italian state and its defenders- as opposed to two- the Savoy-Visconti alliance and the Italian military- for the western frontier. Savoy across the Alps was an ally; Savoy straddling the Alps was a vassal. The latter was more reliably subservient to Italian interests than the former. He did, however, transfer the city of Grenoble- capital of the Dauphine- to Savoy, effectively giving him the eastern portion of those lands. Lyons, Provence, and all the Rhone remained in Italian hands. Duke Amadeus naturally complained at receiving so small a portion of the spoils, but surrounded and utterly outmatched as he was, and with his daughter slated to marry the heir he could do little more than complain fretfully. His men were complicit in all of the atrocities of Gian Maria; he could not easily defect to the French, especially not once Gabriele Maria married Duke John of Burgundy's daughter Anne of Burgundy in 1413. Amadeus was completely surrounded by the Visconti and isolated from his only potential savior, and learned too late that the Winter Serpent of Milan kept no allies, only subjects and enemies.

The expanse of the Visconti estate mirrored the rapid expanse of state expenditures. Even the wealth of Italy had its limits, and in conquering not only the Patrimonium and Naples but Provence and Sardinia as well the Lombard state reached and exceeded those limits by a considerable margin. To the staggering costs of invading, holding and administering this newfound empire must be added the immense costs of overhauling Lombardy's existing infrastructure- Gian Galeazzo not only ordered the restoration of old Roman roads, and the completion of the Valentina Hospital in Milan, but a sprawling network of canals and dams to manage the Po valley. This network, begun in 1390, was completed in 1414 to immense celebration, and almost immediately the state saw a massive spike in trade revenues, but it would take time for this to pay down the initial costs, time which the aging Gian Galeazzo increasingly felt he did not have to spare. Not even Milan's capable bureaucracy could meet all of these enormous fiscal demands.

Into the breach stepped two Florentine banking clans, the Medici and the Strozzi. Gian Galeazzo's reputation meant he had ready access to capital from the urban classes, but the past years had strained even those connections, and to consolidate state debts and renegotiate more favorable terms the Florentines, in alliance with a collection of Genoese and Lombard oligarchs founded The Bank of St Ambrose by state ordinance in the June of 1414. Prior to this banks were largely personal affairs, extended merchant clans hoarding their wealth in vaults and only occasionally lending it out to relatives. Loans, when they were given, were charged at enormous interest due to the heavy uncertainty involved- in the absence of any coherent means of collecting or enforcing debt banks frequently resorted to street level violence, hiring mercenaries to intimidate, beat or even kill those who failed to pay their debts.

This bank was something different: with the full support of the powerful Visconti family the royal bank could call upon the fiscal capital of all of northern and central Italy, and following its expansion into Venice later in the decade from that republic as well. Royal backing gave it an aura of respectability and reliability- interest rates were lower, payments more regular, and the Visconti name meant peace, order, and tidy profits.

In 1414 Gian Galeazzo finalized the succession plans for his vast estates. He and his sons had already estabilished the division of territory between them: Gian Maria was heir to everything in the north, and everything he had conquered, whilst Filippo Maria received Naples, and Gian Maria's bastard Gabriele Maria received dominion over Tuscany as an appanage to the crown of Sardinia and Corsica and thus (in theory) the Pope. This was technically opposed to the fact that Tuscany was supposedly an Imperial fief, but Gian Galeazzo's lawyers, alongside the Pope, argued that as the great Tuscan Countess Matilda of Canossa had bequeathed all her lands to the Church, so could the Church dispose of the former March of Tuscany. Similar arguments were made regarding Provence- until the Italian conquest these lands were technically fiefs of the Empire and France. France, however, relinquished all claims in 1412, while the Emperor- it was argued- had lost these lands when Provence declared its independence from the Empire during the Investiture controversy. The fief enjoyed de facto independence, but Gian Galeazzo wanted more- and Pope Innocent obliged. Citing the cession of Avignon by Charles of Anjou Pope Innocent provided documents freeing Provence from any imperial suzerainity, and placing it all under the Pope. Removing the Dauphine from imperial oversight was less straightforward, but the Pope argued that as the Emperor had formally invested the French kings with responsibility for the lands, they surrendered any claim of dominion to Paris, and the French in turn yielded the lands to the Visconti. All of this, along with the revised succession laws, ideally required Imperial as well as papal approval, but this was not impossible to get. Gian Galeazzo had courted both sides of the Imperial Civil War, but increasingly backed Ladislaus after 1411, judging (correctly) that Jobst's incompetence and Ladislaus' possession of Hungary made him the more likely victor. When Ladislaus crossed the Alps in 1413 on his way to Rome for his Imperial coronation Gian Galeazzo hosted him in Milan with every courtesy, and plied the soon to be Emperor with lavish gifts and promises of fealty. Ladislaus did not trust Gian Galeazzo, and resented his power and ambition, but after the costly civil war he could not turn away the gold offered by the Visconti, and he agreed not to contest Gian Galeazzo's succession (although neither did he explictly endorse it), acknowledged his title as “King in Corsica” and formally invested him with Provence and the Dauphine. Nevertheless Ladislaus' wariness of the slippery Visconti lord incited him to intervene against the Republic of Venice, forcing them to relinquish their claims in Aquileia, and he refused to sell them the duchy of Dalmatia despite being deep in debt. Gian Galeazzo did nothing, but the Republic of Venice naturally resented imperial infringement upon their expansion and drew inexorably closer to their ally Milan.

In 1415 Gian Galeazzo undertook the most dangerous gamble of his career when he dispatched twelve handpicked knights to Prague with orders to retrieve- in the utmost secrecy- the heretic Jan Hus to the upcoming Council of Bologna.

220px-Jan_Hus_2.jpg

the heretic Jan Hus of Bohemia​

Jan Hus drew heavily from the writings of the English heretic John Wycliffe, who's writings proved immensely popular and influential both for the Lollards of England and for Hus' followers in Bohemia; Wycliffe detested the worldliness and corruption of the church hierarchy and denounced many “corrupt” church practices, such as monasticism, indulgences, simony, and even the Papacy itself. Wycliffe even argued for the complete subordination of the clergy to the state and a return to the “pure” practices of Scripture, free of the layers of doctrine and bureaucracy the Catholic Church had developed over the centuries.

While later allegations that Gian Galeazzo was a partisan of the heretical Wycliffe are obviously unsubstantiated, there were aspects of his thought which naturally appealed to him, in particular the caesaropapist contention that Papal decrees were valid only if they were approved by the secular liege. The papacy was itself a massive institution, and the immense bureaucratic network centered on Rome represented an organ of state power outside of Gian Galeazzo's direct control, but if he embraced a reform movement that advocated that clergy abstain from worldly affairs then the Patrimonium could legitimately be annexed wholesale into his own regime.

Consequently Gian Galeazzo applied considerable pressure on Pope Benedict to lighten Rome's stance against Hus and other reformers, and even went so far as to suggest a Church Council to address the issues raised by the heretics. This effort provoked deep and substantial resistance from Benedict, who naturally resented the idea of compromise with an excommunicated and unrepentant heretic- despite Gian Galeazzo's efforts he could not prevent Benedict from levying excommunication on the Bohemians in 1410- and for the first time the master of Italy found to his unpleasant surprise that he could not simply cow the Pontiff into obeisance whenever he desired.

In his ongoing reform efforts Gian Galeazzo found an unexpected ally in King Wenceslaus of Bohemia. Initial correspondence between the two rulers was limited to purely secular affairs- as a potential enemy of Ladislaus of Hungary Gian Galeazzo naturally courted the King of Bohemia (though this did not stop him from currying favor with Ladislaus, before or after his victory over Wenceslaus and Jobst). Wenceslaus, while still denouncing Hus for heresy, nevertheless sought to compromise with the heretics, and it was inevitable that he would reach out to the master of Italy and the Papacy in this goal. In 1415, two years after Wenceslaus' defeat, Hus was confronted by Italian knights with an offer of safe passage to Ravenna. The duke offered his personal guarantee of safe passage, and pledged solemnly that he would prevent the Pope or any other enemy from seizing him for the duration of the Council. Hus did not fail to notice that the duke made no promises concerning his safety after the council, but the chance to speak his mind to the collective authority of the Roman Catholic Church at a council explicitly convened for its reform was too great an opportunity to ignore. Hus settled his affairs and departed for Italy.

Hus was the most infamous attendant, but Gian Galeazzo summoned hundreds of men from across Europe- some were reformers, some were radicals, some were clerical appointees loyal to him personally. His intention was to flood the Council with a natural constituency predisposed to support him even against the Pope. Gian Galeazzo met with these and other men, including Hus himself, in the leadup to the council. No record of their conversation survives, but in all likelihood the duke- knowing full well that Hus would not back down, even under threat of death- warned him that to appear in front of the Pope was to invite his death, and pleaded with him to moderate his tone and shift his testimony in a manner conducive to Visconti's goals.

On May 2nd, 1415, as the initial discussions were winding down, Jan Hus and his companions quietly entered into the synod at Bologna. Hus stood silently for an hour, quietly observing the proceedings; as the Pope moved to adjourn he threw back his cloak and declared himself to the assembled clergy of Europe.

7a2c5b8823.jpg

1280px-Vaclav_Brozik_-_Hus.jpg

Jan Hus before the Pope[A]​

Hus' unmasking provoked immediate pandemonium, and only the timely intercession of Lombard soldiers prevented his untimely demise. Cardinals hurled accusations of heresy and treachery at the Bohemian as Pope Benedict looked on in stupor, “so silent and still that I feared briefly that the shock had killed him,” duke Visconti remarked waggishly in his own recounting of the event. Benedict rallied, however, and promptly joined in denouncing Hus, but at this point Visconti interceded. He revealed that he had personally pledged Jan Hus safety during the council; that he had thus delivered the heretic to Rome to defend himself and face censure; that Hus would surrender himself to the Church upon the conclusion of the Council; and that he would not tolerate any injury done “to my solemn oath before the Lord” before that time.

Pope Benedict immediately demanded Hus repent his heresies and publicly denounce Wycliffe; but Hus, for his part, refused to engage. Instead Hus spoke of the need for unity and to prevent the sinfulness which had condemned the Church to a hundred years of schism; he denounced Indulgences, schismatic Pontiffs, and “ungodly priests who comport themselves as princes” and advocated that the Church place itself in the care “of the Caesars, as Christ commanded of his followers.”

Benedict responded that Christ had also commanded that men render unto God what was his, and that as Christ's Vicar the Pope of Rome was naturally superior to any prince; to which Hus retaliated that that Benedict himself was of Avignon, and installed at the head of a French army, and thus a slave of the princes he claimed to be above. At this point order broke down completely, and Gian Galeazzo chose this moment to intercede personally, struggling to be heard over partisan screeching and naked threats of excommunication and violent demise. Visconti replied primarly to Hus, explicating that the seeds of the Avignon Schism were sown when the the Papacy received its lands in Provence, this after compelling Charles of Anjou to a crusade against Naples; and that the clergy, not the princes, started the Schism when they first moved to Avignon and then back to Rome; and that the secular princes had thereafter divided themselves in support of one or the other “in accordance with conscience, whim or personal gain, as men are wont to do”. Visconti concluded by reiterating his support for Benedict “over the puppet of the murderer Ladislaus” and exorting the Council towards unity and reform to prevent future Schisms from marring the Church.

This was far and away the most dangerous and delicate of the Grand Duke's gambits. A General Church Council was not a city, or even a kingdom: Pope Benedict had already demonstrated a willingness to defy his supposed master over matters of doctrine. By inviting Hus to the Council, and giving him and the reformers his open support, Gian Galeazzo made himself vulnerable to accusations of heresy. If Benedict dig in his heels, then there was the very real risk that Rome would escape his control entirely and denounce him as a heretic.

Yet in the reformers Gian Galeazzo perceived a unique opportunity to legitimize his grip on Rome. By portraying his efforts as an attempt at preventing future schisms, and championing the cause of clerical reform, he not only undermined the Papacy's claim to secular dominion over Italy but drew upon deepseated aspirations for a more pious Church among the European laity.

The council convened for the day, and Gian Galeazzo almost immediately approached Pope Benedict. As with Hus, the precise nature of their meeting is unfortunately unrecorded, but when the Council reconvened the following day the Pope opened the proceedings with a denunciation of “unworldly and unworthy priests, schismatic cardinals, false Pontiffs, and greedy bishops” and declared his intention to “restore Rome to purity, so that no Schism may mar our Holy Church ever again.” It was to this topic that the Council ultimately devoted itself.

The Council of Bologna proved a major turning point in European history. The immense theological, political, and cultural ramifications of its proceedings cannot be covered with even a lifetime's worth of scholarly work, but the major points of doctrine promulgated on May 15th 1415 were as follows:

• that the Catholic Church was an inviolate and indivisible whole;
  • that the Pope, as the head of the Universal Church, was naturally superior to all other secular and spiritual authority;
  • that the corpus of the Church had not only the right but the obligation to participate in her affairs, including matters of Church doctrine;
  • that Rome would convene a General Council once every ten years;
  • that the Pope or the College of Cardinals could convene an irregular Council should a particular issue arise among the Faithful;
  • a general denunciation of "sinful" priests, and expansions of existing canon law on what disqualified a clergyman from his position, and how these men might be removed from office;
  • a tightening of restrictions on personal conduct for monks, nuns, abbots, priests, bishops, cardinals, and all the Clergy, and restrictions on how they could spend tithes collected from Church offices and lands;
  • that should any cleric knowingly go against Canon law, they automatically forfeited their position, and that if after receiving official censure from the Church, their superiors, their secular liege or a Council or synod they did not repent or reform they would be excommunicated, defrocked and deposed;
  • that should a Pope ever contradict canon law, or become a heretic, or cause a Schism, or commit "crimes against God, Church, or Man" he could be deposed only by a Church Council convened by the College of Cardinals, or a majority of the Archbishops of the Church explicitly for that purpose;
  • formal cession of the Papal Patrimonium to King Visconti and all temporal power vested in the territories therein as a papal fief, conditional upon the continued blessing of the Papacy for him and his heirs;
  • withdrawal of the Milanese garrison in Rome, and cession of the Eternal City and its environs to the Pope as his exclusive dominion;
  • pledge that the Visconti state would underwrite the Papacy with state funds, “so that the Pontiff and his Church might comport themselves with the dignity of their office";
  • formal denunciation of Indulgences as simony and automatic excommunication for any who issued them;

As with all compromises the Council of Bologna dissatisfied everyone. The reformists, naturally, felt it did not go nearly far enough in disengaging the Church from worldly life; others felt it gave far too many concessions to heretics and their supporters. Pope Benedict admitted the Papal Deposition Clause only under intense duress from nearly the entire body of the Council- for not even the conservatives could argue against a mechanism to depose schismatic Popes in 1415- and viewed the formal reduction of the Patrimonium to Rome an insufferable captivity, whereas prescient clergymen saw in the now reduced Papal State an uncomfortable vulnerability to Italian pressure; Gian Galeazzo, in contrast, described the "loss" of Rome as “a grievous injury and insult to [his] dominion over Italy”- for no man could truly claim to master Italy if he did not control the Eternal City- and the withdrawal from the city itself the loss of his greatest leverage over n intractable Papacy.

The denunciation of Papal indulgences was the only unambiguous victory for Hus and his partisans. Indulgences had long attracted criticism from clergymen in Germany and Bohemia, and it was one of the few proposals which Hus and his more orthodox[B*] colleagues agreed upon. Despite Hus' association with the proposal the German, English, and Bohemian clergy between them had enough power to force it through, especially as they could tie it to the two “secular Crusades” against Naples, first by the elder and then the younger House of Anjou.

In the wake of the Council Jan Hus was arrested by the Church and forced to stand trial for heresy. True to his word, Gian Galeazzo had protected him during the council, and not a day beyond that. Jan Hus refused to recant his support of Wycliffe, demanding that the Church present rebuttals from Scripture against their writings, and on May 31st 1415 Jan Hus was burned at the stake for heresy in Rome.

Rumors as to the fate of Jan Jus almost immediately appeared like a tumor in Germany and Bohemia. Allegations that he had been escorted from Italy by the duke of Milan, then seized by either the bishop of Trent, or of Aquileia, were common, as was the allegation that he had never made it to the council at all but that Emperor Ladislaus had him arrested and hanged in Germany. None of this prevented word of his trial and execution from crossing the Alps, but the rumors spread by Visconti's agents muddied the waters enough for him to wash his hands of the whole sordid affair, and when the Hussites eventually rose in revolt their enemy was neither the duke of Milan nor the Pope, but Ladislaus of Bohemia.

Five days after the council concluded, Princess Catarina of Sicily, Gian Galeazzo's first grandchild to reach adulthood, was born to Gian Maria and Giovanna of Savoy. A son was born to the couple the following year, but died barely a month later from a fever.

The Council of Bologna proved to be the venerable duke's last great triumph. On June 5th, 1418, as he celebrated his granddaughter's third birthday, Gian Galeazzo collapsed into convulsions before the horrified revelers. He was quickly carried away, but despite the ministrations of some of the best physicians in Europe his health deteriorated rapidly, and the Grand Old Duke Gian Maria Visconti, the first native-born king to rule in northern Italy since the campaign of Otto the Great five centuries before, died in Pavia on June 11th, 1418, at the impressive age of sixty seven.

[A]This is from his OTL trial and condemnation. I was going to use Luther but Luther is clean shaven and Hus has a proper beard, the dirty heretic
[B*]I briefly debated using kosher for extra laughs, but orthodox works too:p

Last edited:
Ah, I'm going off of Wiki right now and... Giovanna isn't there? I mean even in the 15th century I can buy a girl being overlooked, and if necessary I can create a new daughter for Gian Maria to marry. I kind of want him married by 1420 or so, too early is bad, too late is worse.
Giovanna of Savoy existed: born in 1392, daughter of Amadeus VII of Savoy and Bona of Berry, married Giovanni Giacomo of Montferrat in 1411, had 7 children who surprisingly all survived infancy and died in 1460. She was also remarkable for being a posthumous child, her father having died a few months before her birth.
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanna_di_Savoia_(1392-1460)
Anyway it's Filippo Maria who is going to marry the Montferrat. Now that he's a king he could change his mind but the prospect of reviving the old claims to Greece has enticed him into keeping the match, not least since the Ottomans are still in a civil war following Bayezid's death in Tamerlane's dungeon.
The first objective might be the Principality of Achaia, which had been in Anjou hands until 1388 and was lost during the following unsettled times. Venice - which IIRC is controlling the adjacent duchy of Athens - might be a useful help.

I vaguely remember reading that Provence declared itself a Papal fief either during the Investiture Controversy or as part of the Anjou invasion under Charles. Given the question of Provence I'd like to know if anyone can clarify on that?
I was not able to confirm your question, but I suspect that it has to do with the invasion of Naples under Charles of Anjou: Charles would have become a papal vassal in his persona as king of Sicily (and anyway the Church had claimed Campania for a long time) and it is possible that during the negotiations he also promised to hold Provence too as a papal fief. It is doubtful that this concession - if it had happened - would have been considered legal by the HRE as far as Provence is concerned (Naples and Sicily were not an issue, same as Sardinia). OTOH pope Boniface VIII in 1297 granted to Aragon the crown of Sardinia and Corsica under the ius invadendi (the ius invadendi - right of invasion - was the same granted to William of Normandy to invade England, and IIRC was also later granted to the Plantagenets to invade Ireland) to compensate the loss of Sicily. It may be argued that Sardinia was a papal fief and was never part of the HRE (although it is a little more difficult to justify why the rights of the Sardinians were put aside in such a cavalier way), but Corsica was certainly an imperial fief and did not owe feudal duties to the pope (Frederick II granted the crown of the kingdom of Sardinia and Corsica to his bastard son Enzo, although he never could make good the claim).
Provence and Dauphine were both included in the old kingdom of Arles which was one of the three crowns of the HRE after the Ottonian restoration. However effective control of Arles had been lost pretty quickly, and the crown of Arles was only a formal title without any true meaning by the 13th century. Since the popes were known to stretch legality without a lot of compunction, it might be possible that Provence and Dauphine are granted ex-post facto toGian Maria Visconti under the ius invadendi

OK, I figured that all of this would be rather shady and against the Emperor, which is what I went for (Ladislaus basically abstaining from making an official ruling and passive-aggressively blocking Venetian expansion). In any event war with the Empire is imminent with the accession Gian Maria.
Which reminds me, I need to make a map.

Three questions:
I recall that Poland attempted to claim Bohemia at the invitation of the Hussites. Was there any kosher explanation for this (Bohemia's prince electors having the right to pick who they wanted or whatever)?

Does the HRe have any rule about what happens if electorates end up in personal union? My feeling is that it would be like the War of the Spanish Succession- no one would want it and they'd go to war to prevent the union, though they might accept a partition between the inheritors if they abdicate to a relative or something.

Could an electorate be stripped as part of a peace treaty, and how would the Emperor grant a new electorate- could he grant it to himself (eg Austria without Bohemia gives himself an electorate)

It looks like Christmas came early this year :)
I would never have expected GG to involve Jan Hus in his chess game with the pope, nor to go and win such a bounty. The only regret is that Jan Hus was still burnt: while I can understand the practical reasons behind this, and TTL GG is the epitome of the Machiavellian prince, I would have preferred to save him even at the price of immuring him in a cloister.

So after the council of Bologna GG is effectively king of Italy, but does not claim the title since it would rock the imperial boat. Am I right?
Also he managed to eliminate at a stroke the major problem that plagued Italy since the 8th century: the temporal possessions of the church. Astonishing and obviously very welcome :):)

A couple of very minor nitpicks:
  • formally the first bank is the Banco di San Giorgio, established in 1407 in the city of Genoa primarily with the purpose of consolidating and rationalizing the public debt of the city. Later on the BSG expanded taking care of the tax collection as well as of the administration of some overseas territories of the republic and commercial entrepots (a kind of East India Company ante litteram). More importantly, I don't believe that "Royal Bank of Milan" would be a name which might be chosen in the 15th century. I would rather suggest "Banco di San Ambrogio [Bank of St. Ambrose]" which would fit better the mood of the times.
  • I commend your program of public works but if there is one thing that Milan does not require in the 15th century is an aqueduct: the water table is very high and the composition of the soil (lot of gravel) acts very well as a filter. Suppose he orders a hospital built, maybe naming it after his daughter Valentina, who should be dead since 1408.
6 stars for the post. :)

It looks like Christmas came early this year :)
I would never have expected GG to involve Jan Hus in his chess game with the pope, nor to go and win such a bounty. The only regret is that Jan Hus was still burnt: while I can understand the practical reasons behind this, and TTL GG is the epitome of the Machiavellian prince, I would have preferred to save him even at the price of immuring him in a cloister.

So after the council of Bologna GG is effectively king of Italy, but does not claim the title since it would rock the imperial boat. Am I right?
Also he managed to eliminate at a stroke the major problem that plagued Italy since the 8th century: the temporal possessions of the church. Astonishing and obviously very welcome :):)

A couple of very minor nitpicks:
  • formally the first bank is the Banco di San Giorgio, established in 1407 in the city of Genoa primarily with the purpose of consolidating and rationalizing the public debt of the city. Later on the BSG expanded taking care of the tax collection as well as of the administration of some overseas territories of the republic and commercial entrepots (a kind of East India Company ante litteram). More importantly, I don't believe that "Royal Bank of Milan" would be a name which might be chosen in the 15th century. I would rather suggest "Banco di San Ambrogio [Bank of St. Ambrose]" which would fit better the mood of the times.
  • I commend your program of public works but if there is one thing that Milan does not require in the 15th century is an aqueduct: the water table is very high and the composition of the soil (lot of gravel) acts very well as a filter. Suppose he orders a hospital built, maybe naming it after his daughter Valentina, who should be dead since 1408.
6 stars for the post. :)

Yep, the Visconti now everything (well, almost everything...) except Rome, Venice, Friuli and Trentino. Piedmont is technically independent aside from Asti and Cuneo but if they so much as blink when Milan doesn't say so they will have words with Turin.

Good to know, I picked an aqueduct mainly for the Roman imagery. Likewise with the bank, I only had the later 16th and 17th century institutions to go on. A lot of what happened with the Dutch and English will come "early" as the Renaissance blends smoothly into the Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution. Well, when Europe isn't busy tearing itself apart over religion or dynastic squabbles, anyway.

Given the tension between the Emperor and Milan it only made sense that the great Renaissance prince would reach out to the Hussites. TTL Wenceslaus is deposed earlier due to the civil war- OTL he got to keep Bohemia until he died, TTL he made the mistake of opposing the Emperor and lost his lands.

OK, I figured that all of this would be rather shady and against the Emperor, which is what I went for (Ladislaus basically abstaining from making an official ruling and passive-aggressively blocking Venetian expansion). In any event war with the Empire is imminent with the accession Gian Maria.
Which reminds me, I need to make a map.

Three questions:
I recall that Poland attempted to claim Bohemia at the invitation of the Hussites. Was there any kosher explanation for this (Bohemia's prince electors having the right to pick who they wanted or whatever)?

Does the HRe have any rule about what happens if electorates end up in personal union? My feeling is that it would be like the War of the Spanish Succession- no one would want it and they'd go to war to prevent the union, though they might accept a partition between the inheritors if they abdicate to a relative or something.

Could an electorate be stripped as part of a peace treaty, and how would the Emperor grant a new electorate- could he grant it to himself (eg Austria without Bohemia gives himself an electorate)

The choice of a Polish king (Wladislaw II Jagiellon) was made by the Bohemian estates upon the recommendation of king George of Podebrady on his death bed to continue the Utraquist fight against Matthias Corvinus of Hungary. It was one of, and came out from the Hussite revolt.

I don't think that two electoral votes can be cast by the same ruler: if there is a personal union, one of the vote would be given by the emperor to someone else.
The Winter King (alias the Palatine Elector) was stripped of his electoral vote after the defeat in Bohemia, and the vote was given to the duke of Bavaria.