Višeslav's map thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Višeslav, Jun 20, 2019.

?

Are my maps good?

1. They are disgusting

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. They're ok

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Pretty good

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  4. AMAZING!!!!

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. Hindustani Person Bomb-throwing anarchist

Pretty cool

Višeslav likes this.
  2. Hindustani Person Bomb-throwing anarchist

So how do you make maps?

Višeslav likes this.
  3. Višeslav Well-Known Member

Photoshop.

If you wanted more detail, I'm not really sure what to say. I usually find a blank base map or one without city names going into the seas, take the outline by selecting the inverse of the sea, and add a stroke (usually a very dark blue) around the land (I didn't use this method for the US map, Caranthia or the 3 Francias one). Sometimes, like for the Korean map, I find a bigger, non blank map and trace the land, though most maps that I'm doing like that still aren't done, since that obviously takes a long time. Inside the land, I add borders just like any other map. I fill each country or group of countries (as with the Hedjaz map) in its own layer and then apply effects to it, usually inner glow, which gives that darker shade of the country's color around the edges on the inside. Other than that, no map is the same. My map of Korea and a blank map of the eastern Mediterranean I did had underwater elevation on the basemap (the korean base being a topographic map) so I incorporated it into the sea colors by having very slightly lighter shades of blue for shallower areas. When I do rivers, I'm following another map, and I make them thinner as they go inland (that's just using the pencil tool). Rivers can be a pain though. I don't think I can really give more detail without just straight up making a map tutorial on how to imitate a specific one of my maps.

ItsMyKetchup likes this.
  4. Threadmarks: Blank Eastern Mediterranean

Višeslav Well-Known Member

The Eastern Mediterranean/Levant blank I mentioned in an earlier post. I made it for Mikroraptor, they asked for it in the blank map thread. It's the first blank map on this thread. I don't make many.

blank levant.jpg

5. Threadmarks: MOTF 7 - Come Hell For Hot Water | Ukraine & Its Allies

Višeslav Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is a map that I will be submitting to the Map of the Fortnight contest, I'm posting it here first so people can tell me if there's any problems with viewing it.

It shows Ukraine and its 2 allies (the Don Republic and the Kuban republic) in a world in which the Russian civil war went differently. They are shown after invading the Crimean Tatar republic after long standing tensions boiled over. Ukraine took the lion's share of its small neighbor's land, with Kuban gaining a little bit of land on the eastern side of the Bosporus. Ukraine has yet to consolidate power in Crimea completely, but it is already reaping a lot of reward from the well positioned and developed port of Sevastopol. I was considering making a smaller map on the side or underneath showing the frequency of Tatar rebel terrorist attacks, but decided against it. Overall, a Ukraine wank. Not an insane one, but the Ukraine ITTL is a significant regional player.

I apologize in advance for any typos and bad Ukrainian. My only help was Google translate and knowledge of a South Slavic language (which isn't a huge advantage with the very different East Slavic family).

Also, the things under head of state are titles, in case people can't infer it.