Chapter 0: Prologue
  • Union of The Three Crowns: The History of The Nordic Empire

Chapter 0: Prologue

For better or for worse, the world from 1492 to 1945 was dominated by Europe. During this time, the great empires of Europe, whether the British, French, Spanish or Russians were the main players on the global stage, each experiencing their own ups and downs. The Germans and Italians, previously split into numerous smaller states, unified in the 19th Century and each left their own mark on the world (in both good and bad ways). Even smaller countries like Portugal and The Netherlands became globe-spanning empires, conquering areas much larger than their small slices of Europe.
    However, one area of the world that didn’t make as big of a worldwide impact was Scandinavia. While often holding the status of regional powers and possessing small overseas empires, The Scandinavian nations never became global powers like their European peers. However, they could have. Between 1397 and 1523 (with a few small periods of separation), the Nordic countries of Denmark, Norway and Sweden were united under the Kalmar Union, a dynastic union meant to counter the Hanseatic trade league. However, the union fell apart after the Stockholm Bloodbath of 1520, where after a rebellion, King Christian II slaughtered much of the Swedish nobility, provoking another rebellion soon after, after which Denmark and Sweden separated for good. However, what if, rather than massacring the Swedish nobles, Christian instead sought to reconcile and reach a deal. If that were the case, the union might have survived, and if things went right, Scandinavia might not only remain united, but become a world power. That is what this timeline will be about, not only a surviving Kalmar Union, but one that becomes a globe-spanning Nordic Empire. I look forward to beginning this timeline fairly soon, and I hope to see you all there. Take care and have a great day.

Last edited:
    Author's Note
  • Author’s Note

So, here it is, the beginning of my new timeline. My current timeline, English Canada/French Carolina, has been running since August of 2018, three and a half years ago, and it is approaching the present day (the timeline’s current point being in the Mid 20th Century). It will in all likelihood be done by the end of this year, after which I will start a Maps & Graphics spinoff/sequel. However, I also wanted to start a new timeline to work on after EC/FC. As the majority of my heritage is from the Nordic countries (my mom is entirely Norwegian and Swedish, while my dad is 1/4 Danish), a Scandinavian timeline was a natural choice. Unlike EC/FC, where I got an idea and ran with it without any prior planning, I’ve already thought of a basic outline for the course the Kalmar Union will take. With that said, I am not the most knowledgeable on Scandinavian history to say the least (I’ve only read Wikipedia and watched a few animated history videos), so any suggestions and information from Scandinavian users would be greatly welcome. This will not be the most in-depth Kalmar Union timeline on the site (see To be a Fox and a Lion for that, a timeline that shares a very similar premise), but rather more of a general overview, which is generally the case for EC/FC as well. I mentioned OTL in the prologue, but the butterflies of a surviving Kalmar Union will flap their wings, first in the rest of Europe and then globally (I’ve already got some ideas for some of TTL’s changes outside of Scandinavia), although I will put up some form of a butterfly net, if only so the world doesn’t become totally unrecognizable. I also want things to remain realistic and keep the POD within Christian II’s character (which, from what I’ve heard, was generally scheming, cynical and machiavellian). I’m looking forward to going on this journey with all of you, and I will see you again soon.

Chapter 1: The State of The Union

Chapter 1: The State of The Union

And so, it begins. Before I get into the events that will reshape the course of Scandinavia, I must give a brief overview of the state of the Kalmar Union in the early 16th Century. I’m by no means an expert on early modern Scandinavian history, so, as I said in the Author’s Note, information and tips from more knowledgeable people (particularly Scandinavian users) would be greatly appreciated. Without further ado, time to get into the first of (hopefully) many updates to come.
    As of 1500, the Kalmar Union had a total population of 1.69 Million, of which 600,000 lived in Denmark, 550,000 in Sweden, 300,000 in Finland (which was part of Sweden) and 240,000 in Norway (which included Iceland). The monarch of the Kalmar Union as of the beginning of this TL was Christian II, who had ascended to the thrones of Denmark and Norway in 1513, as well as holding the title of the duke of Schleswig and Holstein. However, the Swedish delegates hadn’t crowned Christian, fearing civil unrest back home. As a result, Christian’s status as King of Sweden was in limbo. There was a large anti-union faction among the Swedish nobility, led by Sten Sture the Younger, Sweden’s regent, who wished to split Sweden from the union, which he initially succeeded at in 1517. In 1520, Christian II invaded Sweden in order to depose Sture, which he succeeded at, with Sture being fatally injured at the Battle of Bogesund on January 19th and dying on February 3rd at Lake Malaren. While Swedish resistance continued after Sture’s death, they capitulated by the autumn of 1520. Now that Christian’s rival had been vanquished and his rule over Sweden solidified, the question of what to do next became of the highest importance. Christian II was allied with Gustav Trolle, the former Archbishop of Uppsala and a rival of Sten Sture the Younger. After Sture’s death, Trolle’s position as Archbishop was restored. On November 4th, 1520, Christian II was officially crowned the King of Sweden by Trolle, and held a royal banquet in Stockholm in the following days. Trolle wanted the rebels executed for heresy, but Christian had pledged to grant amnesty to those involved with the rebellion. In the end, this conflict was resolved by granting financial compensation for the damages caused by the rebellion but refraining from executing them (POD). While the pro-independence Swedish nobles were still salty, they were willing to accept the new agreement. Thus, the Kalmar Union would be preserved, with Denmark, Norway and Sweden each acting as separate kingdoms under a common crown. As it turns out, things would improve for the union over the remainder of the century, but that is a story for another time.

Chapter 2: The Years After The Rebellion

Chapter 2: The Years After The Rebellion

Now that the rebellion was subdued and Christian II’s rule over Sweden was secured, he could now go on pursuing his agenda. Christian’s ambitions were to turn the Kalmar Union into a mercantile powerhouse that could challenge the Hanseatic League, strengthen the commoners and weaken the nobility and hand some control of the church over to the government, which Christian would find the perfect reason for quite soon (spoiler alert). When it came to trade, Christian raised the toll for ships passing through the Oresund, which increased revenue for the Danish crown but disrupted trade between Sweden and the Hanseatic trading cities like Lubeck and Danzig (Swedish ships were exempt from the toll, but Hanseatic ships had to pay it). While this did upset much of the Swedish nobility and merchant class, with the absence of the bloodbath, it wasn’t enough to send Sweden into another revolt.
    WIth that said, the conflict in Sweden had depleted the union’s coffers, so the period from 1521 to 1523 was mainly spent recovering from the conflict. By 1524, however, the union was ready to make some moves. Christian expanded the union’s merchant fleet and navy, in order to further secure Baltic trade. Militarily, the Danes wanted to gain more control over Northern Germany and the Swedes wanted to expand into Livonia, but Christian decided to bide his time and wait for a better opportunity and casus belli, which too would come very soon.
    There was another direction to expand, however, and that was to the west. The news of the Spanish discovery of a whole new world had made its way to the north, as had the news of the massive amounts of gold and silver said Spaniards had found in the recently-conquered Aztec Empire. The Kalmar Union already stretched further west than any other European country due to their control of Iceland, and it was still thought there may be Nordic settlers in Greenland, even though they hadn’t been heard from in a century by this point. Christian wanted to send one of his top admirals on a voyage to Greenland, both to see if the Norse settlements were still there and potentially to serve as a launching point for further exploration of the new world, but I’ll get back to that later. All I’ll say is that the Kalmar Union has the potential to be one of the top dogs in the colonial game.
    Moving back to domestic matters, I mentioned that Christian wanted to strengthen the average Nord and weaken the power of the nobility. However, I didn’t get into how he pursued that goal. Nobles could no longer trade peasants, and said peasants were now able to negotiate with the nobility over the terms of their land tenure. This made Christian popular with the peasantry, but further soured him with many noblemen. Christian would prove to be a preview to the trend of absolutism that would begin en masse in the following century, as well as one of Scandinavia’s most impactful monarchs, for reasons I will get to in coming updates. Things in Scandinavia will only get more interesting from here, but that’ll have to wait for the upcoming updates. I’ll see you all again soon, but farewell for now.

Chapter 3: The Beginning of an Empire

Chapter 3: The Beginning of an Empire

Author’s Note: I was going to wait longer to do the first colonial-focused update. However, it turns out that Christian II was planning on sending an expedition to the New World in the near future before his fall from power, so it’d likely occur very early on in the timeline. Note, there are going to be some similarities to Chapter 31 of Milites’ timeline To be a Fox and a Lion, such as the admiral conducting the expedition, but there are also some differences. Without further ado, here is the update:
    It was late April of 1524. The atmosphere around the port of Copenhagen was buzzing. The city’s residents had become aware that, for the first time, there was going to be a Danish naval expedition to the New World. Led by Søren Norby, Denmark’s top admiral (who also led the first Danish new world expedition in the aforementioned TbaFaaL), the crew was making their final preparations before taking off and hitting the high seas. A couple of days later, the fleet departed to a cheering crowd, ready to sail off into uncharted waters.
    From their departure from Copenhaged, the fleet sailed through the Skagerrak, across the North Sea, past the Shetlands and Faroes and finally on to Iceland, where they docked for a week to resupply and prepare for the voyage into the unknown. After getting all the needed supplies and picking up some Icelandic sailors, the fleet then departed for Greenland and the New World. Going west from Iceland, Norby’s fleet traversed the rough sea between Iceland and Greenland, reaching Greenland around its southeastern end. Having reached Greenland, Norby was set to search for any Norse settlements. However, after sailing through the major fjords of Southern Greenland, no surviving settlements were found, although some ruins were spotted, basically confirming that the Norse Greelanders had gone extinct. Reestablishing the Greenland colonies was an eventual option, considering that they could get ivory from walruses, but that was beyond the scope of this expedition. Now that they’d visited Greenland, it was time to finally make it to the New World…
    Riding the West Greenland Current northward for a few hundred miles, the fleet took a left turn and voyaged across the frigid northern strait between Greenland and the New World. After a day or two, land was spotted by one of the crew, and, in July of 1524, 500 years after Leif Erikson’s fabled voyage to Vinland, the Norse were back in the New World. With that said, this land was barren and frigid, even in the middle of summer, so it was decided to sail further south. While several bodies of water opened up, it was decided to keep going south, hoping that they’d come across a more habitable land. Eventually, that’s what started to happen. Trees started appearing, more wildlife and occasionally native people began to be seen, and the temperatures began to rise a bit. Still, despite being at the same latitude as Denmark, this region was still unmistakably subarctic, resembling the taiga of Lapland. After sailing along the coast for some time, they came to another strait, between the coastline turning west and another land to the south. While the strait did eventually get named after Norby, he decided not to enter it on this voyage and instead decided to keep sailing south to see what this other land had to offer.
    As it turns out, this island actually showed promise. While still looking boreal, it wasn’t as desolate as the area to the north, and besides, boreal climates are no problem for Scandinavians. The island had numerous sheltered natural harbors and coves that would serve as good locations for future settlements, abundant forest mixed in with potential pasture land for livestock, and most importantly, the waters around the island were teeming with fish. Lots and lots of fish. Off of the east coast of the island lie the Grand Banks, some of the richest fishing grounds in the world. This had been noticed by other Europeans, as both the Portuguese and English had sent expeditions to the region in the past, and Basque fishermen were also aware of the region, but unlike those others, who didn’t view the island as a place worth settling, Norby viewed it as a place for a possible colony. Having Icelandic crewmembers who were familiar with the old Norse sagas, the name Vinland was brought back and applied to the island, with the names Markland and Helluland also being revived for the areas to the north. After scouting out the east coast of Vinland, they promptly turned east, caught the Gulf Stream and returned to Scandinavia, landing in Bergen in October.
    When news of the expeditions’ findings made it to Christian II, he was very impressed, and ordered a second expedition to be undertaken in the near future. 1525 was spent on other matters, but at the end of that year, Christian officially commissioned Soren Norby’s second voyage to the New World. Preparations were made throughout the first few months of the year, and in early May of 1526, Soren Norby was on a voyage to North America yet again. For the first few weeks, the route taken largely mirrored that of his first voyage two years earlier, with him stopping in Iceland in late May. However, where the route on the second voyage diverged from the first was when Norby’s fleet reached the southern tip of Greenland. Rather than following the coast and the currents northward as he had in his first voyage, Norby instead elected to cut across the open sea between Greenland and North America, sailing in a southwesterly direction.
    After nearly a week on the high seas, land was once again sighted, with them landing in southern Markland just north of the Norby Strait. However, this time Norby sailed through the strait that bore his name, which opened up into a large sea, sailing along the northern shore of said sea. Thinking this might be the fabled Northwest Passage, Norby sailed west along this northern shore, mapping out the different coves and inlets that dot the coast. The coast began to curve southward, which Norby followed until he reached a large fjord. Thinking this fjord could lead to somewhere, he sailed his fleet up it, but it eventually turned into a normal river, at which point he turned around and sailed back out. Sailing southwest along the north shore, the large sea the fleet sailed along began to narrow, with the south shore becoming visible. The sea became narrower and narrower until it was split in two by a large island. After the island had passed, they reached the mouth of a large river, with bluffs on one side and a large headland on the other. After a brief time spent taking the area in, meeting the natives and claiming it for the Kalmar Union, it was time to turn around and go home.
    But not quite yet, as there was still a lot of exploring left to do. As they’d traversed the northern coast of the still yet to be named sea (please suggest some names), on the return they’d travel along the southern shore. The north coast initially remained visible and quite close but gradually faded from view as the distance between the two shores became greater, with the coastline slowly curving towards the south before turning sharply towards the south, then looping back around towards the west, forming a large peninsula, with a very good natural harbor at the east end of the peninsula. The coastline then bent and turned several more times, forming large bays and peninsulas that could prove useful spots for future settlements. Further to the south lay a large island, with the name of New Gotland being given to it, due to its resemblance to the Baltic island of that name. East of that was another island, this one much more rugged, separated from the mainland by a small strait, with Norby sailing through the strait and going up the eastern side of the island, followed by him sailing north until he hit the southern coast of Vinland. On the south coast, Norby found more islands and harbors that could serve as prime locations for future settlements and fishing bases, before reaching the southeastern tip of the island and saying farewell to the New World for the final time.
    Soren Norby would never make it back to the New World, dying in 1530. However, his two expeditions would prove to be the birth of the Kalmar Union’s colonial empire, which would go on to span the globe and have an immense impact on various different regions of the world. While it would be a bit before the first permanent Nordic settlements in the New World would emerge, Nordic fishermen (mainly Icelandic, due to the geographic proximity) would soon begin fishing the rich grounds of Vinland, joining others like the Basques and Normans. It’ll be a few updates before I return to the New World, as I’ve first got to go over the Protestant Reformation and the events related to that in the Kalmar Union, but rest assured that I will be back in the Americas very soon. Take care, everyone, and have a great day.

Last edited:
    Chapter 4: The Reformation Part 1

Chapter 4: The Reformation Part 1

On October 31st, 1517, the course of Europe, and later the world, changed forever. On that fateful day, Martin Luther, a disgruntled German theology professor and clergyman, wrote the Ninety-Five Theses, a protest/propositional disputation about his gripes with the practices of the Catholic Church of the early 16th Century, namely the overuse of indulgences. He sent said letter to Albert of Brandenburg, the Archbishop of Mainz, and also posted it on the door of the All Saints’ Church in Wittenberg, the city he was teaching in. The Archbishop didn’t respond to the letter, but instead sent it to Rome after checking it for heresy. Relations between Luther and Pope Leo X quickly went downhill, and at the beginning of 1521, Luther was officially excommunicated from the Catholic Church.
    Later that year, Luther was called in front of the Diet of Worms, an assembly of important figures within the Holy Roman Empire, so that he would either publicly retain or recant his views after Pope Leo X issued a Papal Bull against him. Luther stood by his views, and was thus denounced in the Edict of Worms as a heretic and forbade citizens of the HRE from spreading his ideas. However, due to the invention of the printing press and widespread dissatisfaction with the Papacy across Germany, the cat was already out of the bag, and thus the reformation began to spread like wildfire. This was in part because Luther himself (with the help of others) would translate the Bible into German in 1522, thus enabling literate Germans to read scripture. Others like Huldrych Zwingli and Philip Melancththon were involved in the Protestant movement, albeit with some disagreements (Melancththon worked with Luther, while Zwingli led his own movement).
    Meanwhile, a peasant’s revolt was brewing in Germany. While initially motivated by the increasing economic burden on peasants, the revolt soon took on a Protestant character, notably through the radical reformer Thomas Muntzer. Between 1524 and 1525, hundreds of thousands of German peasants, mainly in the South, revolted against their rulers. However, despite their large numbers, these peasants were poorly armed and untrained in warfare, and thus the rebellion was suppressed in due time. While Martin Luther was initially sympathetic to the peasant rebels, he later took a harsh stance against them, even writing a treatise denouncing the peasants. Even then, Protestantism continued to spread throughout greater Germany and elsewhere.
    One of the places that the reformation began to spread to was the Kalmar Union. Being culturally and economically tied to Germany, Protestant reformers quickly made their way into the union to start preaching their ideas, which caught on rather quickly in some segments of the population. Figures like Hans Tausen and Johannes Bugenhagen began to gain notoriety in the union for their work in the reformation.
    Meanwhile, Christian II was interested in making some changes to the structure of the Church within the Kalmar Union. More specifically, Christian was looking to centralize the church in the Kalmar Union under the control of the crown. For example, his Land Law allowed clergymen to marry, education of lower level clergy was improved and the political influence of top-level religious figures was curbed. The prominent members of the clergy viewed this with concern, as many of them saw it as a power grab on Christian’s part. Most controversially, Christian also proposed to make it so legal cases related to Canon Law were resolved not in Rome, but within the Kalmar Union. Much of this was done in order to save money, as traveling from Scandinavia to Rome was obviously expensive and time-consuming during the 16th Century, but it was also done to effectively put the Nordic Crown in charge of the Church within the Union.
    As for Christian’s views on Protestantism, it was complicated. On the one hand, Christian remained Catholic, and sought to reform the church in the Kalmar Union while at the very least paying lip service to Rome. On the other hand, he was interested in some Protestant ideas, and even talked with Dutch philosopher and theologian Erasmus about the reformation on his trip to The Netherlands (a region he admired and sought to emulate) in 1521. As for the Protestant preachers that were beginning to operate in the union (especially Denmark), Christian mostly turned a blind eye. A few prominent preachers were questioned and ordered to leave, but the majority were allowed to continue preaching their interpretation of the gospel. Christian not only viewed the Protestants as a potential ally, but also as a bargaining chip with which to nudge the Church more in the direction he wanted.
    With Christian’s seeming apathy towards the spread of Protestantism in his realm, accusations of Christian being a crypto-Protestant began to emerge among certain circles of the Nordic clergy and nobility. While Christian maintained that he was still loyal to Rome and recognized Papal authority, the rumors of him being a secret heretic continued to fly. Meanwhile, the aforementioned growing Protestant community in the union continued to gain steam, as preachers preached to the masses, many of whom were disillusioned with the Church. This was put into overdrive by one of the greatest innovations of the previous century, the Printing Press. This enabled Protestants to print and distribute their own pamphlets and messages, and while most people of the time were illiterate, enough were able to read that Protestant ideas were able to spread with ease. Calls were made by top clergymen to censor these texts and arrest the printers and distributors, and while some were arrested and ordered to stop, many either slipped through the cracks or got a slap on the wrist.
    Another thing informing Christian’s views towards the reformation were his allies and family. Gustav Trolle, one of Christian’s long time allies, was a Catholic Archbishop, and he implored Christian to suppress the reformation. In addition, Christian’s wife, Isabella of Austria, was a Habsburg, and the Habsburgs were famous for being devout Catholics. However, the County of Oldenburg, run by his relatives of the same royal house flipped Protestant, meaning that Christian had connections to both camps. Much of the Danish nobility also began to become attracted to Protestantism, and England became the first major country to turn Protestant when King Henry VIII severed the English Church from Rome over the Pope refusing to annul his marriage. By 1535, Protestantism had become a major force within Denmark, and was gaining steam in other parts of the union as well. As for how it’ll turn out, well, that’s a story for another time.

Last edited:
    Chapter 5: The Reformation Part 2

Chapter 5: The Reformation Part 2

It was early February of 1538. The day was cold and windy, with snow covering the ground and the sun barely peeking above the horizon. At the Uppsala Cathedral, some of the most prominent clergymen and nobility of Sweden were gathered. Gustav Trolle, the Archbishop of Uppsala since 1515, had passed away. He had come down with an illness around Christmastime, and things gradually deteriorated over the course of January, with Trolle having caught pneumonia. With his health deteriorating rapidly, top noblemen and clergymen from Sweden were notified, along with the royal family, and plans for a funeral were made, approved by Trolle himself while he was still alive. Finally, on the morning of the 27th, Gustav Trolle breathed his last.
    Upon hearing of his longtime ally’s failing health, Christian II dropped all things and immediately ordered for him and his family to be transported to Uppsala, hoping to see Gustav before he passed. Unfortunately, Christian didn’t make it in time, arriving on the 29th, two days after Trolle had perished. He did, however, make it in time for the funeral. Sitting next to his wife Isabella and their four surviving children John, Dorothea, Christina and Ernest (the latter of whom wasn’t born IOTL), Christian mourned the loss of his longtime friend and ally. However, he also viewed Trolle’s passing as an opportunity to carry out more reforms to the Church within the Kalmar Union. For example, Christian wanted the crown to directly appoint bishops, which along with the already implemented reform to canon law cases, would effectively mean that the Pope would have no authority over the Catholic Church within the Kalmar Union. Thus, a group of candidates to become bishop were presented to Christian II, who would in turn choose which one the bishops of the union would ordinate as the new bishop.
    Many within the Kalmar Union’s clergy were irked by this development, and informed the Pope of Christian’s plans. Upon finding out, the Pope (now Paul III) decided that he had enough of Christian II, who had been in hot water with previous popes over past actions, and decided to excommunicate him in early 1539. Upon Christian II receiving the news of his excommunication, he was torn. On the one hand, he had long maintained that he was still a Catholic, and had defended himself against accusations of heresy. On the other hand, he did have Protestant sympathies, and was intrigued by Henry VIII of England’s actions to establish a separate English Church. In the end, however, Christian decided to sever his ties with Rome and officially split the Church in the Kalmar Union from the Papacy. Thus, the Nordic Church was born.
    Obviously, things could never be this simple. Upon finding out about Christian’s declaration that Papal authority within the Kalmar Union was null and void, the clergy was scandalized. To the surprise of no one, Catholic bishops in the union voted to oust Christian from the throne, to be replaced by a Catholic relative. Also to no one’s surprise, Christian ignored this and called on the support of Protestant nobles, promising to redistribute some Church land to them. Thus, by the fall of 1539, the Kalmar Union’s religious civil war had begun…
    Look, military writing is not my strong suit, nor my primary interest. This is especially true of pre-industrial warfare, which I’m incredibly unfamiliar with. Thus, I will keep this short, summarizing the events in each of the three crowns, starting with Denmark.
    Denmark was Christian II’s strongest crown, as it was the area with both the most pro-Christian II sentiment and the area where the reformation had been the most successful in. As mentioned previously, much of the Danish nobility had already converted to Protestantism, as well as much of the merchant class and peasantry. Schleswig and Holstein were also run by the Oldenburg family (with Christian himself being the Duke of Schleswig), and were the most Protestantized parts of the Kalmar Union, so they were royal strongholds. As a result, Denmark was secured under Royal/Protestant control by the end of 1540. Church owned farmland was handed over to Protestant nobles, who now had expanded domains. Convents and Monasteries were allowed to stay until the last Nun or Monk died, after which it’d be expropriated by the crown (as was the case IOTL’s Danish Reformation, at least according to Wikipedia). Overall, Denmark was the easiest part of the Kalmar Union to Protestantize, as things would be a bit more tricky elsewhere.
    That brings us to Norway. Norway was a staunchly Catholic region, with the Church being a bedrock of Norwegian society. The Church was still largely popular among the general public, as it was too poor for corruption to become a major issue. Thus, there was a lot of pushback to the reformation in Norway. Thus, several revolts occurred during the years following Christian II’s conversion to Protestantism. Due to the rough topography of much of Norway, it took nearly a decade for the revolts to fully cease. Cease they did, however, and while it would take a while for the Reformation to fully set in, Norway was fully Protestantized by the end of the century. In the Norwegian territories of Iceland and The Faroes, the process was similar, albeit less lengthy because of the smaller populations involved.
    Finally, we get to Sweden. The discontent Swedes had with the union didn’t go away after Sten Sture was defeated, and it was only a matter of time before Sweden (or at least parts of it) would revolt again. The funny thing was that, due to the discontent with Gustav Trolle, many anti-union Swedish nobles had become Protestant, only for the king they wanted to separate from to become Protestant himself. Many pro-union noblemen were disgusted by Christian’s abandonment of the Catholic faith, which meant that he’d lost many key allies and many of the people who could become his new Protestant partners were longtime opponents of his. Needless to say, keeping Sweden under the union’s control would be a tough task.
    It being a tough task didn’t make it impossible, though, as Christian had had to deal with a Swedish rebellion before. In addition, Sweden was internally divided, whether it be on the question of religion or between pro-union and pro-independence factions, which made it possible to take advantage of said divisions and regain control of Sweden. Areas of Southern Sweden near the Danish border (Scania, Bleking and Halland were all Danish at this time and will remain so indefinitely ITTL) remained under royal control permanently, with the small Swedish coast on the Kattegat being seized early on in order to cut Swedish rebels off from the North Sea. After cutting Sweden off from the Atlantic, it was all about slowly defeating the different rebellions across the country, which became easier after the last Norwegian rebellions were suppressed. Christian did much of this by hiring Protestant German mercenaries to fight on his behalf, which cost the crown a hefty penny, but it was worth it to regain control over the entirety of the union. By 1550, the last Swedish rebels had surrendered, and the Scandinavian Religious Wars were over.
    After that, it was time to chart a new way forward for both the Church and for the Kalmar Union in general. Christian’s aim for the Nordic Church was to reform itself along Lutheran, High Protestant lines. For example, the Nordic Church adopted the Augsburg Confession as its official creed. The Bible was translated from Greek and Latin into the Copenhagen dialect, which would not only enable more people to read scripture but would also prove immensely influential in the eventual development of a standardized Nordic language that would eventually be spoken across the realm. The form of church services preserved much of the liturgical structure of the Catholic mass, but also changed some things, such as the liturgical language being changed from Latin to the common tongue of whatever area the service was being held in, although Latin continued to be used in certain special occasions.
    When it comes to the structure of the church, the Monarch of the Kalmar Union was to act as the church’s head. The church was split into three separate Archdiocese, those being
    Lund for Denmark, Uppsala for Sweden and Nidaros (Trondheim) for Norway, who would house the three Archbishops of the Nordic Church, one for each of the countries within the Kalmar Union. Together these three Archbishops would form a Triumvirate that would govern the church in each of the three realms. Under that were your normal Dioceses, run by regular Bishops. The monarch of the Kalmar Union would from this point on be required to be a member of the Nordic Church, and any noble marrying into the Royal Family would be required to convert. Even after this, there remained citizens of the union who retained their Catholic faith for decades to come, as well as those who adopted other, oftentimes more radical sects of Protestantism, dissenting from the established church. Either way, the religious landscape of the Kalmar Union had changed dramatically, and this would not be without ramifications, but that’s something for another time. I’ve got an EC/FC update to finish before I put out another one of these, but I’ll see you guys soon, and happy belated Easter.

Last edited:
    Chapter 6: More Exploration

Chapter 6: More Exploration

With the success of Soren Norby’s two voyages to the New World, the interest of the Kalmar Union in this faroff land only grew. Christian II was very impressed by what he’d heard, and thus decided to make new world expeditions regular for the Nordic Navy. Even after Norby’s death in 1530, exploration continued to be pursued. In 1533, a new expedition under a new admiral who I can’t name due to a lack of sources on Wikipedia commenced, leaving from Bergen that April. This expedition was instructed to go explore southward down the coast, so after sailing up to Iceland and past the southern tip of Greenland, the fleet turned southward. Passing by the southeastern tip of Vinland, a point named Cabo Raso by the Portuguese, they then turned in a southwesterly direction, knowing that land lay over there.
    After a couple days of sailing, they landed on the eastern coast of the island that had come to be known as New Aland. Passing by the small strait Norby had traversed on his second voyage, they now passed into previously uncharted territory for the Kalmar Union. The coast continued in a southwestern direction for some time, with numerous inlets and coves dotting the shore, before turning north and then east, proving that this land was in fact a peninsula. Noticing that the body of water they were sailing through had an extremely large tidal range, they named it the Tidevand Haf, or the Sea of Tides. They passed by a large headland, which got the name Seglkappe (Sickle Cape) due to its resemblance to the farm tool (that may or may not later become paired with the hammer).
    This cape opened up into a large bay that was fed by several rivers, and had visible deposits of copper on its shores, thus giving the name of Kobberbugt, or Copper Bay. After reaching the bay’s head, the fleet turned around and traversed the north end of the bay, after which they reached another headland where the coast curved back around to form another bay. This bay was in turn split into two smaller inlets, both of which were fed by rivers. From there, they turned around and hugged the northern shore, traversing the various islands, islets and harbors that made up this forested coastline.
    Eventually, the coastline turned southward, the shore became less rocky and the weather became warmer. This coast was dotted with large, suitable harbors that could be viable locations for future settlements, although whether or not they would be the ones that would end up settling there is another thing entirely. This coastline looped back around in a large, hook-shaped peninsula, which would be the furthest south they’d go on this expedition. Since they hadn’t explored it yet, they also mapped the west coast of Vinland on their way back, thus fully completing the outline of the island. After that, they went back home, landing back in Bergen just before Halloween.
    The three expeditions the Kalmar Union had carried out had all been in the north, so Christian II ordered the fourth expedition to go southward. Thus, in October of 1535, the exploration fleet left from the port of Copenhagen, this time headed to the West Indies. Instead of going north to Iceland and Greenland, they instead went south through the English Channel and down the west coast of Europe, stopping in The Canaries around Christmas, enjoying the holiday season in quite possibly the best climate in the world. Just after the calendar turned from 1535 to 1536, the crew said “adios” to The Canaries and went back out to sea, hopping on the North Equatorial Current.
    After riding the current for several weeks, land was finally spotted. Sure, it was a very small island, but they’d officially reached the West Indies, thus accomplishing the mission. They then proceeded to sail through the various islands of the Leeward Islands, before going past the Spanish islands of Puerto Rico and Hispaniola. After that, they turned north, sailing through another chain of small islands, before going into open sea, knowing that they’d hit the mainland if they kept going north. After about a week and a half, they hit a chain of long, narrow islands that separated a series of inlets from the Atlantic. The fleet figured that they might as well sail up the coastline in order to see what they could, notably if there were any good spots for settlement. It didn’t take long for them to get to the opening to a large body of water, which looked promising. While they didn’t sail into it, they did mark it down as a point of interest if they were to ever return to this part of the continent. There was another large bay further north, which the Nords did sail into, finding it to be the estuary of a sizable river.
    They continued to go north after that detour, sailing alongside the barrier islands and forested coast, before finding another large natural harbor. This one was prime real estate, with the waters being deep enough for any ship and the islands and peninsulas surrounding the bay having several prime sites for future settlements. While the Nordic Empire would never settle this far south, someone else would take advantage of this location in the future.
    After exploring this harbor, they sailed east along an island that was quite, well, long. Once the island ended, they turned towards the northeast, passing a small island before going into a large bay broken up by numerous islands. This too looked to be a good place for a future colony, although once again, they may not be the ones to get it. They then left to head back to complete the expedition, rounding Cape Cod (which I mentioned earlier) before sailing on to Vinland and then back to the old world, landing in Copenhagen in August of 1536. With this, they'd completed a full nine-month loop of the North Atlantic, becoming the longest Nordic expedition to date.
    I was originally going to combine this with another colonial-related topic, but the segments on the exploration missions became so long that I figured it’d work as an update on its own. What was that other topic I was going to talk about? Well, the next update will be the one where the first proper colony is founded in North America, thus officially marking the birth of the Nordic Colonial Empire. That should be up within the next week, and I’ll also have an update of EC/FC coming soon, and until then, have a great day.

Chapter 7: Vinland

Chapter 7: Vinland

By the end of the 1530s, the Nordic exploration program was firmly established, and interest in overseas expansion was growing within different spheres of Nordic society. Merchants saw opportunities to gain access to more goods and potentially new, exotic products that couldn’t be found in the Kalmar Union proper. Nobles saw the possibility of their second (or third, fourth, etc.) sons being able to move overseas and claim new land for their family. Most of all, King Christian II saw it as an opportunity to grow Nordic prestige, set up a new place for Nordic settlers to move to if land in the mother country were to run out and to project power and influence overseas. After the 1535-36 expedition returned to Copenhagen, plans for the establishment of a colony in North America began to be made.
    However, that would have to wait. As I covered in recent updates, the Nordic realm went through a period of religious strife as Christian II separated the Kalmar Union from the Catholic Church. By the end of the 1540s, though, these religious issues had been resolved and the Kalmar Union was united under the Lutheran faith. Thus, with their internal crisis fixed, the Kalmar Union was now looking outward again. This not only involved expansion into Europe, which I will get to in a future update, but the first forays of the union into overseas colonization.
    The year was 1554. At the port of Bergen, the final preparations were made for a voyage to the new world. Now, this was nothing new for the Kalmar Union by this point, as several overseas exploration missions had been undertaken over the previous three decades, most recently another expedition to what had now been named the Vinland Sea two years earlier (that expedition covered a lot of the same ground as previous ones, and thus won’t be covered in any update). This time was different, though, as while the previous voyages were purely for exploration, this voyage was to establish the first permanent Nordic settlement in the New World. The ships were being loaded up with things like food supplies, fresh water, livestock and, most importantly, 34 colonists recruited from around the Bergen area. These were loaded into six different ships, with two ships for the colonists, two for livestock and two for other miscellaneous supplies (food and water were present for both people and livestock). Eventually the loading was completed, and there was nothing left to do but set off. Thus, on May 3rd, 1554, six ships left from the Port of Bergen, with the destination of Vinland.
    But they weren’t going to go there first. Instead, two stops were to be made, one in the Faroe Islands and another in Iceland. It took only a few days for the ships to arrive in the Faroe Islands, where they picked up a dozen additional colonists and some more sheep. Then, they set off to Iceland. Arriving in Iceland after a couple days, they landed to refill their food and fresh water supplies, add 16 more colonists (thus increasing the number to 62) and loading extra livestock to the two livestock ships. After this stop, it was time for the main event, the voyage to Vinland…
    Upon departing from Iceland, the fleet went westward towards Greenland, traversing the rough, iceberg-ridden waters of the North Atlantic. As soon as they got sight of the Greenland Ice Sheet, they turned south to follow the coast to the southern tip, after which they’d once again traverse open ocean. After passing Greenland’s southern tip, they went in a south-southwest direction. For well over a week, all that could be seen was an all-encompassing expanse of blue. They also hit some of the storms of what would come to be known as the Markland Sea, hitting waves as high as 45 feet. It was certainly a rough going, as it’d been over a month by this point since they’d departed from Bergen, and I can’t imagine that being stuck on a 16th century ship for a month would be a very pleasant experience. As the middle of June approached, though, the nearly 3,000 mile voyage was about to come to a close…
    On June 12th, seabirds were spotted flying above the fleet. Knowing that this was a good sign that land was near, the declining morale of the crew and passengers was revived, and a new enthusiasm took over the ships. The next day, a large headland appeared on the horizon. Upon the sighting of land, the crew and passengers erupted into cheers and celebration, as their voyage was finally about to end. Upon reaching the headland, they continued south to follow the eastern side of the peninsula, looking to see if there were any suitable locations for a settlement. It wouldn’t take them very long…
    Less than 20 miles south of the headland was where they found the location for the settlement. It was a sizable bay with two separate shielded arms, each providing a good location for a harbor. The terrain around the bay was hilly but not too steep, which could provide a good site for a fort. The coastline was forested, meaning that wood for building and fires was abundant, and because this was Vinland, the fishing off the coast was supreme. Thus, after a day or two of deliberation, they decided that this was a good enough spot for a settlement, and thus, on June 18th, 1554, Kristianshavn was founded, and the Nordic Colonial Empire was officially born.
    Things were never gonna be that simple, though, as there was still a lot of work to do. Despite the colony being at the same latitude as Northern France, they knew from the boreal flora and fauna and from previous Icelandic fishermen who had overwintered in Vinland that the winter was going to be as cold as Iceland or the Scandinavian Mainland, if not moreso. Thus, the first few months after the colony’s foundation was going to be spent preparing for the inevitable winter. Many of the fish caught were salted and stored for the winter, since the sea could very well freeze over in that area. Wooden shacks were quickly erected for the coming winter, while fur-bearing animals were hunted for clothing (although they had sheared the sheep before setting off, and thus had a supply of wool), the former being the birth of the Nordic fur trade that would be a major part of the Nordic Colonial economy and society in the centuries to come.
    The weather began to grow colder over the autumn, and it was apparent that winter was coming. To this point all 62 of the colonists had managed to survive, but they knew it was likely that some of their fellow pioneers would perish during this time. The first snowfall hit on October 25th, and the bay began to freeze over by December. It was officially winter, and the colonists were going to have to tough it out.
    Let’s quickly fast forward to springtime now. Of the 62 colonists who arrived in June of 1554, eight of them passed away during the winter. However, between June of 1554 and the spring of 1555, three babies were born in the colony, two of which survived birth, including Gunnar Sigurdson, the child of an Icelandic colonist couple who was the first Nordic baby born in the New World. This meant that the colony’s population heading into 1555 was 56 people. 1555 was spent making things more permanent. The shacks were either rebuilt or improved into more permanent houses (mostly log cabins), a permanent dock was built and construction began on a small fort, consisting of a stockade and blockhouse on a nearby hill. Attempts were also made to grow crops to provide an extra food source for the colony, which weren’t all that successful due to the poor soil. With that said, most fishermen on the island would eventually have small supplemental gardens for their families, mostly tended by their wives.
    At this point, it’s worth mentioning the natives of the island. The original inhabitants of Vinland were the Beothuk, whose ancestors are thought to have inhabited the island for at least a thousand years. Due to the harsh climate, isolation and hunter-gatherer lifestyle, the Beothuk only numbered a few thousand on the island, comparable to the much smaller Faroe Islands. They lived in small extended family clans of a few dozen people, and got food by hunting moose and seals and fishing salmon. Notably, they also had a custom of painting their bodies and objects they owned with Red Ochre, leading the Nordic colonists to call them “Rødlings” or “Red Ones”. The Beothuk/Rødlings preferred to stay away from outsiders, so their contact with the Norse remained quite limited, especially in the earlier years. Conflicts would emerge in the future, but for now, the natives and Norse mainly ignored each other.
    Some Icelandic fishermen who arrived in the summer of 1555 found the colony and brought back the news of the colony’s success when they returned home in the fall. From there, the news made it to the mainland and eventually to King Christian II. Upon hearing the news, he commissioned a second settlement in Vinland to be founded. So, in 1556, another fleet set off from Bergen towards Vinland, picking up more Faroese and Icelandic settlers to boot. This one went a bit further south, settling in a large bay near the southeastern tip of the island. The bay was split in two by a large headland connected to the mainland by a sandbar. Thus, in 1556, the settlement of Stornæs was founded by 46 colonists, most of whom were Norwegian but with a handful of Faroese and Icelanders as well. In addition, Kristianshavn was resupplied with several dozen colonists, some of whom decided to stay in the existing settlement but a few of whom (along with some of the original 1554 settlers) went further up the peninsula and founded the new settlement of Jubelkappe, or Cape Rejoicing, named for the attitude on the original ships when land was sighted. No additional settlements would be founded before Christian II’s death in 1559, but several more batches of settlers would arrive, and the Nordic population in Vinland by 1560 would rise to nearly 200 people. These small beginnings would eventually grow into something much larger, as the Kalmar Union would become a major colonial empire spanning entirely different regions of the globe, but that’s a subject for another time, as I’ve got to get back to European affairs in this timeline and my other timeline. I’ll also be discussing some of my ideas and thoughts for the changes a Nordic colonial empire would make to other colonial empires, and suggestions would be appreciated. As for now, I’m gonna call it a day and say goodbye for now, but I will be back soon. See you guys later.

Colonial Ideas and Thoughts
  • Now that I have gotten the first colonial update out of the way, I’d like to share my ideas for some of the changes that a Nordic colonial empire would entail for the greater colonial game. This will give a general outline for where things are going in the colonial sphere, and if you have any suggestions, feel free to share them. Now, onto the post.
    First, the Kalmar Union is going to colonize all of OTL’s Eastern Canada. All of the Canadian Maritimes plus the St. Lawrence River Valley will be colonized by the union, as well as parts of New England. I’m thinking the border between Nordic America and whoever colonizes OTL’s American Northeast would be somewhere in Maine or New Hampshire, while the furthest south I could see the Kalmar Union colonize on the east coast would be Cape Cod. In addition, the Kalmar Union will dominate the Hudson Bay fur trade. TTL’s Hudson Bay Company will be Nordic. Between the Maritimes, St. Lawrence Basin and Hudson Bay, Canada will be the primary Nordic colony.
    Aside from Canada, I expect the Nordic realm to have some sugar colonies in the Caribbean. Both Denmark and Sweden had Caribbean colonies IOTL, so the Kalmar Union that combines the strength of both of them would probably have a few of the Antillean Islands at least. On that note, the union will probably have a few trading posts in West Africa, as Denmark did IOTL. Denmark also had a few colonies in India, so a Nordic India is probable (although I don’t think they’d get much of the subcontinent). If not India, then somewhere in the East Indies could be a replacement. Since I’ve axed the Nordic New Zealand idea in EC/FC (I’ll remove it when I get to the Maps & Graphics spinoff I’m planning), I’ll likely have the Kalmar Union (likely by that point a fully united Scandinavia) colonize New Zealand. Finally, Scandinavia colonizing somewhere like the Falkland Islands as a whaling/fishing station could happen, or maybe even Patagonia itself. Regardless, expect to see the Kalmar Union have a sizable colonial empire, probably not on the scale of the British or Spanish of OTL but maybe something like Portugal or The Netherlands in terms of scope.
    I was originally going to go country by country for this next segment, but I decided that going region by region was a better choice. The first region I’ll talk about is the East Coast of OTL’s United States. IOTL, the entirety of it was colonized by the British, with the exception of Florida, which was originally colonized by the Spanish before being taken by the British after the Seven Years War, before returning to Spain after the American Revolution and finally being annexed into the U.S. in the early 19th Century. However, I could very well see that being different ITTL. France, for example, has lost their OTL settler colonies of Quebec and Acadia to the Kalmar Union, but I could still see them colonizing somewhere in North America. With the French having conducted the Verrazzano Expedition in the 1520s, they already have some knowledge of the Eastern Seaboard, so having them colonize somewhere on the East Coast is well within the realm of possibility. I won’t have them colonize anywhere south of Virginia, though, as that’d just be a copy/paste of EC/FC. Instead, any French colony would be between Cape Cod in the north and Hampton Roads in the south. Another option would be the Dutch, who had their New Netherland colony IOTL. Because it was surrounded on both sides by English colonies, it was handed off to the English in 1674. ITTL, where they’re not surrounded by the English, the Dutch could keep the colony permanently, with New Netherland spanning from Delmarva in the south to Cape Cod in the north. This is assuming that the Dutch still gain their independence from The Habsburgs, which may or may not occur ITTL (I’m not very knowledgeable on that, so please leave your knowledge and ideas). So, the East Coast of North America could look like this:

• Nordic Canada from Labrador to somewhere in New England
    • French or Dutch Colony from somewhere in New England to Delmarva
    • British America from Virginia to Georgia
    • Spanish colony in Florida
    Of course, there’s the possibility that the English still nab the entire east coast between Nordic Canada and Spanish Florida, which I’ve thought of doing anyway. If the Puritans still exist ITTL, they might still settle in New England, which would lead to the French or Dutch colony being surrounded like IOTL, and it’d likely play out the same way as OTL’s New Netherland or New France being absorbed into the British Empire. Still, the Puritans might be butterflied, or they might settle in Virginia, or they could settle in the New Netherland colony, which was an idea I had for the No Plymouth Colony timeline I had thought of doing. This is something I’ll have to think about, but just know that there is a strong possibility that OTL’s Mid-Atlantic region will be French or Dutch, and OTL’s New England will be Nordic.
    Next, I’ll move on to Louisiana. On first thought, there would be no reason why the French couldn’t still colonize Louisiana. However, without the Canada colony that enabled travel along the rivers from north to south, I’m not sure if that’d still be the case. France still could colonize Louisiana, as they had founded colonies directly on the Gulf Coast like Biloxi and Mobile, but I don’t know if that’d be the case. What could happen instead would be Spanish settlements popping up along the Gulf Coast, with Spain eventually settling at the mouth of the Mississippi. Britain may acquire a Gulf Coast from the Spanish at some point as they did IOTL, as they would be colonizing the American South and would want a coastline on the Gulf of Mexico. I’m not planning on having the Kalmar Union colonize Louisiana from the north, so just keep that in mind.
    Now, on to South America. I don’t see South America being too different from OTL, but I think there are a few things worth mentioning. Both France and The Netherlands briefly had colonies in Brazil, France in both Maranhão and Rio de Janeiro and the Netherlands in the Brazilian Northeast. While neither of those colonies lasted in the long term, it’s entirely possible that at least one of them would make it ITTL. Uruguay and Southern Brazil, having been historically contested between Spain and Portugal and not being really settled until the late 18th Century could be a spot for a non-Iberian colony, but that is yet to be determined.
    For the final region I’ll cover, I’d like to move on to Africa, Asia and Australia. The original raison d’être for the entire age of exploration was to find a sea route to India and the Far East, before the New World was eventually stumbled upon. That didn’t mean that Europeans didn’t still want to get to India and the Far East, though, and many European countries had trading posts and colonies in the orient. While the colonial game in the Eastern Hemisphere was initially dominated by the Portuguese, eventually it came to be dominated by the Dutch and the British, with the Dutch dominating the East Indies and the British dominating India. With the changes happening elsewhere, though, the colonial scene in Africa and Asia could be significantly different. For example, France could turn their colonial attention towards the east, colonizing South Africa and potentially coming to dominate India instead of the British. If the Dutch Revolt is butterflied or fails and removes the Dutch colonial empire and VOC from existence, that opens up the East Indies to be dominated by someone else, whether that be another European power or continued native rule across more of Indonesia. This would also impact Australia, as someone might set up a stopover point in Western Australia for the route to the East Indies. I could keep going, but this is dragging on and I want to start working on a proper update, but I felt like I should post this, as colonization is something I’m very interested in tackling ITTL, and I’d like your input into this, as I’m not knowledgeable or ambitious enough to do this entirely on my own. I’ll threadmark this, as it’s practically the length of an entire update, and then I’ll post an update on the Kalmar Union’s expansion into the Baltic region, as well as a new EC/FC update. Leave your thoughts and ideas, and I’ll take them into consideration for this TL. Until then, have a good day.

Chapter 8: The Livonian War Part 1

Chapter 8: The Livonian War Part 1

While Christian II was interested in overseas expansion, he obviously had interests that were closer to home. One of the reasons the Kalmar Union had been established in the first place was for Scandinavia to be a stronger competitor to the Hanseatic League when it came to trade in the North and Baltic Seas. In particular, the union wanted to dominate the Baltic Sea, to make it a Nordic Mare Nostrum. The 1520s had been spent either during or shortly after the Swedish revolt, the 1530s had been spent stabilizing the union and the 1540s were the period of the reformation. By the 1550s, however, the appetite for expansion had come back, and the now elderly Christian II was looking for a conquest to cap off his four decade plus reign. He considered expansion into the HRE, but that was ruled out for the time being. A campaign against the Duchy of Prussia was also considered, but that too was turned down. Instead, attention was turned towards Livonia, or Terra Mariana, the area on the eastern shore of the Baltic Sea. This region had been under the control of the Teutonic Order, before separating and becoming the Livonian Confederation. At one time, though, the northern half of Livonia had been under the control of the Danes with the Duchy of Estonia. This had lasted from 1219 to 1346, but even though it’d been two centuries since it had existed, Christian II still viewed it as a useful pretext for a campaign into the region. The Protestant Reformation also provided one, as the region was still largely Catholic, notably with the Livonian Order. So, in order to reclaim historic Nordic territory and to spread the Protestant Reformation, a campaign to conquer Livonia began in 1552.
    Using both Nordic troops and Protestant German mercenaries, the Nordic conquest of Livonia began by taking the islands of Øsel and Dagø as forward operating bases, both of which didn’t take long to seize due to the low populations (some of whom were ethnically Nordic) and being cut off from the mainland by the Nordic Baltic Fleet. After that, they moved on to the Livonian mainland, taking the town of Hapsal in March of 1553. From there, the Nordic army was split in two for two different objectives. One was to head northeast towards the city of Reval, while the other was to head south towards Riga.
    The army headed towards Reval was able to march through the forests, bogs and farmsteads was easy enough, as the terrain wasn’t too different from Scandinavia and it was only 50-60 miles. Taking the city itself, though, was going to be more of a challenge. The city of Reval was surrounded by thick defensive walls, and the city’s inhabitants were obliged to defend their city from any invaders. Fortunately for the Nordic troops, they had some help from the Nordic navy, who conducted a bombardment of the city’s walls, damaging them to a sizable degree. With naval dominance and troops right at the gates of the city, the Nordic military decided to avoid direct confrontation and simply keep food and water supplies from getting into the city, thus starving it into submission. After a four month siege during the summer and fall of 1553, Reval officially surrendered in October of that year. With the largest city having been taken, the remainder of Estonia soon capitulated as well, and by the spring of 1554, all of Estonia was under Nordic control.
    For the troops headed south from Hapsal to Riga, it was a longer march of around 160 miles. For the most part, the area between Hapsal and Riga was your typical mix of forest, agricultural land and marshes that was typical of Terra Mariana. There was one notable town on the route from Hapsal to Riga, though, that being the Hanseatic trading post of Pernau. Being an important town, Pernau had a castle, one that would need to be taken in order to progress on to Riga. Now, it’s not like Pernau was some grand megacity, it was a regional hub of a few thousand people or so, but you’d bet that the Livonian Order was going to defend it. A fresh, well armed and well supplied garrison had cooped up in the castle, ready to combat the Nordic invaders.
    This was quite a complicated situation for the Nordic army. They could raid the castle, but that would be incredibly costly, with the Livonian Order holding the high ground in the fortress. They could bombard it, but cannons and cannonballs were incredibly expensive at the time. What appeared to be the best option was just to siege it, with the navy blocking off the port and the army blocking off supplies from overland trade routes. The Livonian defenders could hold out for as long as they could, but they would eventually have to raise the white flag. Due to the numerical superiority of the Nordic fleet and the cut off supply lines for the defenders, the fortress at Pernau surrendered after a three month siege. Now it was on to the real prize, Riga.
    While Pernau was a minor regional trade center, Riga was one of the largest and most important cities on the Baltic Sea. Merchants from all across Northern Europe flocked to Riga to do business, so having control over the city would only boost the already significant Nordic presence in Baltic trade and weaken the Hanseatic League. From Pernau it was about a 100 mile march to Riga, with the only real obstacle along the way being Lemsal, a fortified town about 20 kilometers inland from the Baltic. After resupplying in the captured Hapsal, the Nordic army continued on to Lemsal, reaching it in 10 days. Upon their arrival, they met a fortified garrison like in Pernau, but unlike in Pernau, it was small enough to where they decided to take it on directly. With numerical superiority and an early cannon or two (I imagine the large mines in Bergslagen will help with that), the Nordic troops were able to take Lemsal quite handily. After this quick victory, it was finally time to take Riga. Knowing that the Nordics were coming, the Livonian Order put in a good deal of effort to protect the city, stockpiling significant amounts of supplies and preparing the local forces to fight to defend their city. The Livonians knew that the Nordic army was to the north of the city, and thus sent troops in that direction. The Kalmar Union’s military command realized this and decided to land a second invasion force in Livonia. Thus, in August of 1554, a second invasion force was landed near the town of Windau. Windau was an important fortified coastal town, so there had been some preparation on the part of the Livonians. With it being on the coast, though, the Nordic Navy could blockade the port and/or bombard the castle. Windau would be taken within a month, thus providing the Nordic military with a second foothold in Terra Mariana.
    Now the Livonian Order was dealing with a two-front war, which would make it all the more difficult. Nordic troops were coming from both the North and the West, which would make the Livonians split their forces into two. Soon enough, the army coming from the North was approaching the outskirts of Riga, while the army coming from the west had taken the town of Talsen and was also approaching the Livonian Order’s premier city. By November of 1554, the two Nordic armies in Livonia met up and surrounded Riga, and when combined with a blockade from the Nordic navy, the city was basically surrounded. As mentioned previously, the city had been stockpiling both food and weapons, hoping to at least be able to make it through the winter. Thus, the 1554-55 Siege of Riga would begin…

Chapter 9: The Livonian War Part 2

Chapter 9: The Livonian War Part 2

By late Autumn of 1554, the Nordic army had surrounded the Livonian capital of Riga. One of the most important trading cities on the Baltic, conquering and annexing Riga would greatly benefit the union’s economy and further solidify their hold over Baltic trade. The city had prepared well in advance, stockpiling food and military supplies. They hoped to at least stick it out through the winter, so that they could successfully fight back in the spring. The Kalmar Union had troops advancing from both the north and the west as well as a naval blockade of the city, which meant that the city was pretty much cut off from everything else. So long as they could keep the supplies out of Riga, they could very easily starve the city into submission. Thus, the siege began…
    As 1554 passed into 1555, the siege began to take a toll on both the defenders and attackers. With the winters in Terra Mariana being quite chilly, hypothermia was a problem, as was hunger and disease. Due to being lower on the list for supplies, the civilian population of Riga was hit hard by these factors. With the corpses beginning to pile up and limited room to bury them, dead bodies were either piled into mass graves, burnt or thrown outside of the city walls, sometimes into the Duna River. With that said, combatants within the city walls were also beginning to suffer attrition, as supplies kept decreasing and disease spread. Still, the garrison within the city was holding up heading into late winter.
    By the time we got towards the end of February, though, things were starting to get a bit shakier. The food supplies that had been stored the previous fall were just about running out, troops were losing morale and the cause was looking increasingly hopeless. While the Nordic army was also experiencing some hunger and cold, it wasn’t to nearly the same extent. Spring was getting closer, but it’d take until April for the average temperature to rise above freezing. They wouldn’t have to wait that long, though, as the Riga garrison officially ran out of food in late March. With this, they figured that the cause was hopeless, and thus the city of Riga officially surrendered on March 25th. With the capital gone, it didn’t take too long for the rest of Livonia to be conquered, and by the beginning of July, the Livonian Order officially capitulated to the Kalmar Union.
    Now that the war was over, it was time to draft a peace treaty. The drafting of the treaty would take place in Visby, the largest city on the island of Gotland, as Livonia was currently too damaged by the war to hold any sort of peace conference. Considering that the Livonian Order had completely and totally lost the war, it was a given that the Kalmar Union was going to completely annex the order’s territories. The Livonian Order was split up into two separate entities, the Duchies of Estonia and Livonia. The existing nobility would be allowed to keep their land and titles, provided that they convert to Protestantism if they weren’t already Protestants. If not, their lands would be seized and distributed to Nordic Protestant nobles looking for new domains. Most of the existing nobility were Germans, thus making it easy to co-opt them into the Nordic structure, and Germans would maintain a strong presence in Terra Mariana. In order to quell the remaining Swedish dissatisfaction with the Kalmar Union, Christian II would put the Swedes in charge of the two duchies, although Danes would also have a presence in the region as well. Christian II would die shortly after the conquest of Terra Mariana, but this final accomplishment would cement his legacy as an important monarch. One of the main geopolitical goals of the Kalmar Union, securing the eastern Baltic region, was now accomplished, so they could now focus on other things. I’ll do another colonial update before I get back to more European affairs, hopefully the update will be out in early August. Until then, take care everyone, I’ll see you next time.

Chapter 10: Nordic Colonization Up To 1600

Chapter 10: Nordic Colonization Up To 1600

Now that the Livonian War is over, it’s time to turn my attention back to my favorite subject in alternate history, colonization. The Kalmar Union were the first European power to establish a permanent colony north of the Spanish conquests in Mesoamerica, and they would continue to expand their reach in the latter part of the 16th Century. The cradle of the new Nordic colonial empire was the island of Vinland, and settlement on the island would be expanded over the next several decades. With the richest fishing grounds being found on the southeastern shores of the island, most of the new settlements would be concentrated in that region. The settlements of Sølvhavn, Tostrømfjord, Hansvig and Robertsbugt were all founded between 1560 and 1600, attracting more Nordic fishermen and their families. They were also looking to expand to other parts of Vinland, too, with settlements being established on Brandø in the north and Mudderbugt in the south. In addition to the main settlements, various smaller fishing camps and outposts were set up around the Southeastern coast of Vinland, some of which would grow into legit settlements in their own right as time went on. Aside from fishing, the Vinlandic colonists were also beginning to herd livestock (sheep and cattle mainly) and even attempt to grow crops on the island, to varying levels of success.
    The Kalmar Union weren’t the only ones looking at Vinland, though, as the Spanish, Portuguese, French and English were all fishing in the Grand Banks, some even attempting to found settlements on the island. King Hans and his yet to be named successor weren’t fans of other European powers establishing settlements on the island of Vinland. Fortunately for Hans, these settlements were either seasonal or short-lived, as the aforementioned powers weren’t as adept to the cold winters as the Scandinavians were. Between seasonal fishermen deciding to permanently settle in Vinland and a slow but steady trickle of colonists (mainly Icelandic and Norwegian) arriving each year, the permanent Nordic population in Vinland had grown to around 3,000 by 1600, with thousands more (both Nordic and from the other countries I mentioned) coming to Vinland each summer to fish, before returning home during the winter.
    When it came to the Kalmar Union’s colonial ambitions, though, Vinland was only the starting off point. There had been a permanent Nordic colony on Vinland for a full generation by 1580, to the point where hundreds of colonists had been born in the colony rather than in the old world. With a self-sustaining population now present in Vinland, the elderly King Hans decided that it was time to establish a colony on the North American mainland. With the already established presence in the Northeast of the continent, particularly in and around the Vinland Sea, the new mainland colony would be located in that region. The Vinlandic Sea had already been well mapped by Nordic explorers by the Late 16th Century, so they generally knew their way around the place and would be able to figure out where they were.
    Thus, early in 1582, the preparations for the colony officially began at the port of Bergen, which was quickly becoming the main colonial port for the Kalmar Union. Supplies were stocked, settlers recruited and plans made for the voyage to the New World. On March 20th, the trio of ships officially left the port of Bergen, headed for the New World. Manned with sailors who were experienced in transatlantic voyages, they took what had become the standard Nordic route to their North American holdings. Taking off, they sailed westward past the Shetlands and Faroes, after which they turned to the northwest towards Iceland. Upon reaching Iceland, they’d sail along the south coast to Grindavik, a coastal town that was quickly becoming a sizable (by Icelandic standards at least) trading port due to the increasing trans-atlantic trade. They’d pick up some more fresh water and extra food (mainly salted cod) and get a brief break from the sea before heading out again. The three ships went west towards Greenland, and upon seeing the gigantic ice sheets that made up the Greenlandic east coast, turned south to follow the coast. Once they reached the southern tip of the island, the hardest part of the voyage would commence: the open ocean voyage across the Markland Sea.
    Fortunately for the colonists, the crew aboard the three ships were experienced seamen, many of whom had done this very voyage before. Thus, even with the storms and rough seas, the fleet was able to make it through without too much trouble, reaching Vinland after a week and a half. They’d briefly stop at Kristianshavn to make it known that there would be a new mainland colony, before leaving to complete the final stretch of the voyage. They’d round the southwestern end of the island, before sailing west along the southern shore. Finally, they turned southwards towards the mainland, landing on the northeastern shore of New Aland. They wouldn’t settle there, though, as they’d continue down the coast of the island, before coming across a large strait. Instead of sailing through it, they’d turn southward to see what lay there, and this is where they’d end up settling. At the end of a large bay lay a nice natural harbor, protected by sandbars but wide and deep enough for the ships to get through. In the harbor there were several hills that were suitable locations for a fort. The surrounding area was heavily forested, meaning that there’d be abundant materials to build with. The harbor was fed by a small river, which meant that fresh water was readily available. Finally, food could be acquired by hunting, fishing or buying fish from the Vinlanders. This was as good a place to settle as any, so they decided to end their voyage and officially settle down. Honoring the king, they named the settlement Kronehavn, or Crown Harbor.
    With it being mid June by this point, the colonists would spend the summer building necessary infrastructure like a dock, a small fortification with a blockhouse and stockade and, of course, houses for the colonists. They’d also have to get food, not just to feed themselves now, but to survive the upcoming winter. The men who weren’t busy building infrastructure were out hunting and fishing, sometimes as far out as the Grand Banks. A total of 60 colonists left Bergen, of which two perished on the voyage. One child was born on the voyage, which meant that 59 colonists had arrived in the New World. Most of the colonists were young men, since they were needed to build up the colony. An area of the forest was cleared out for a town site, as well as some basic agriculture, which would start next year. Summer turned into fall, and the colonists were busy making their final preparations for the winter. The temperatures were getting colder and the days were getting shorter, but it was hoped that they’d done enough to make it through without much trouble. The first snow came in mid November, and snowfall became more regular in late November into December. The climate all in all proved to be quite similar to the Norwegian interior, where some of the colonists came from. The winter lasted from November through March, with the snowfall ending by the end of April. Of the 59 colonists who made it to Kronehavn, 12 perished in the first winter, meaning that 47 survived to see the spring of their first full year in the New World. While 1583 was spent largely continuing the colony-building tasks of the previous year, 1584 was the first year of sustained agriculture, and by 1590 the colony of Kronehavn had grown to 150 people between natural growth and further settlement.
    With the success of the Kronehavn colony, the crown decided to found more colonies on the mainland around the Vinland Sea. In 1586, over 200 colonists were sent over to found two new settlements, one on the eastern shore of New Gotland called Samkok and one on the nearby mainland called Sprængsted. Both of these colonies were successful as well, and the Nordic crown would continue to establish colonies in the area in the coming years, such as Isbugt in New Aland and Knæksten further north on the mainland. This batch of settlers would notably include a few German families from the County of Oldenburg, who would be the first of thousands of Germans who would eventually settle in the Nordic colonies in North America and eventually elsewhere.
    The most important colony to be founded before 1600, however, was at the very end of both the 16th Century and of the Vinland Sea. Knowing that the mouth of the river feeding into the Vinland Sea was a location of extreme importance that the French had attempted to colonize decades earlier, the yet-to-be-named Danish king (Hans will have died by this point) ordered a colony to be founded at the mouth of the river in 1598. A few hundred settlers from across the union were recruited to settle in this new colony, leaving the old world in February of 1599. Following the same route used by previous expeditions to the new world, they reached Iceland in early March and Vinland a month later. By late April, they were closing in on the target. Finally, at the beginning of May, they arrived at the place where the river met the Vinland Sea. At this site, the river narrowed before emptying into a sizable harbor, with a large island just downstream splitting the estuary in two for about 20 miles. The most notable thing about this site was the large promontory that rose sharply from the coast up to a maximum of 360 feet/110 meters. The defensibility of the location would make it the perfect location for a fortress in the future. There was also another, albeit much smaller river feeding into the estuary, which could provide an easy source for freshwater. The cliffs of the promontory were also lined with shiny stones that resembled diamonds. The settlers got very excited, but their enthusiasm would soon be curbed, as these turned out to be mere quartz. Despite this disappointment, this was still an excellent place to settle, all they needed now was a name. The natives of the area called this place Kebæk, or the place where the river narrows, which the settlers found to be a good enough name. Thus, on May 16th, 1599, the city of Kebæk was founded. Over the remainder of 1599, the colonists would clear land along the aforementioned, yet to be named smaller river for farms, gather food and supplies for the upcoming winter and begin the construction of a fort on top of the hill. Kebæk would later grow into one of the largest cities in the Nordic world, but for now it was but a small, fledgling outpost.
    With the foundation of these colonies, the Kalmar Union had gotten a head start on the colonization of mainland North America compared to potential rivals like England and France, becoming the dominant power around the Grand Banks and Vinland Sea. By 1600, there were 5,000 Nordic colonists living in North America, including 2,000 on the continent’s mainland. These few thousand would in time come to number in the millions, but that is something for another time. Thank you to @Atterdag and @Lantern for helping out with the names. I was going to invite @Ulv01 into the conversation as well, but for some reason the site wouldn’t let me. I’ll get an update of EC/FC out next before I return to this, so hopefully this will suffice for the time being. I’ll see you guys next time.

Chapter 11: Passing The Torch

Chapter 11: Passing The Torch

By 1555, the Kalmar Union had become fully Protestantized, the Livonian War was over and the first settlement in the New World had been founded. Christian II was satisfied with his accomplishments, and was going to spend the remainder of his time keeping the union stable and preparing his son John (or Hans) for the kingship. Christian was in his mid 70s by this time, so he was fully aware that he didn’t have a lot of time left. Prince John, who by this point was approaching 40, began taking on more and more duties that kingship would entail, knowing that in the near future he would be the one with the crown on his head, and, to quote Uncle Ben, with great power comes great responsibilities. In early December of 1558, Christian would come down with a severe bout of the flu. His condition would deteriorate over the course of the month, as the flu turned into pneumonia, and it became clear that this could be the end of the road for him. Finally, just two days after Christmas, on December 27th, 1558, Christian II breathed his last.
    With this, Prince John officially became King John II. A state funeral was held for his recently deceased father on New Years’ Day 1559, where he, his wife/new queen and his children would pay their final respects to the late Christian. While John was now king, an official coronation would wait until late April, as it was to be joyful rather than somber (and the weather in Denmark in January kinda sucks). He and his wife Barbara of Brandenburg (who happened to be his first cousin) had been married in 1545 and had given birth to their first child, a girl named Margaret, in February of 1547. Next, they gave birth to a boy named Joachim in November of 1548. Unfortunately, he happened to be stillborn. The third time was the charm, though, as their third child was a surviving male born in June of 1550, who had been christened as Frederick. The fourth child, a male born in January of 1553 named Ernest died two months after birth. Fortunately, they made up for it the next year with a healthy baby boy, named Canute, who was born in August of 1554. After having four boys in a row, they finally had another girl in May of 1557, who they named Elizabeth. At the time of the coronation, Barbara was pregnant with her seventh baby, who would be a girl born in June of 1559 named Magdalene. They had two more children after that, a boy named Christian in September of 1562 and a girl named Dorothea in February of 1565. The children of John and Barbara would be given the best education available at the time, being taught religion, history, philosophy, multiple languages, art and politics by the best tutors money and privilege could buy. They were also given the opportunity to travel throughout the realm, going to areas as far off as Iceland, as well as to other areas of Europe like The Netherlands, Germany and Britain.
    However, they’re not the main focus of this update, as this is about the reign of King John II. Having been noted for his intelligence since he was a boy and having had years to prepare for kingship, John would be quite an effective king. Apart from the expansion of the colonial empire in North America that I covered in the previous update, Hans also expanded the union’s reach back home. For example, the Nordic navy was further expanded, with the shipyards of major coastal cities bustling during this era, building ships ranging from smaller, more local trade vessels to grand carracks capable of traversing the high seas. This used up a lot of wood, and while Scandinavia had wood in droves, the abundant forests of the new world would come to aid the union in the future. After the successful conquest of Livonia, John would begin to eye future routes of expansion within Europe, particularly around the Baltic, the domination of which was the primary objective of Nordic foreign policy during this era. He couldn’t be too belligerent, though, as the Livonian conquest I mentioned in the last sentence had irked the two great powers in that area, Poland and Russia. The Kalmar Union, Poland and Russia were in a kind of three-way standoff, all having their own ambitions but unable to enact them, as any expansion would provoke the other two into teaming up and defeating the expanding power. The marriage with Barbara of Brandenburg did give the Kalmar Union additional ties to the HRE, but they weren’t a member of it, and expansion into it could be dangerous, since it would piss off the very powerful Habsburgs. Thus, John would decide to bide his time, waiting for a better opportunity to strike (I.E. me not knowing what to do with my writer’s block and deciding to kick the can down the road). With this period of peace, the population of the Kalmar Union would grow during the early part of John’s reign, with farmers expanding further into the Nordic forest and the cities of the union growing to be quite sizable for the time. Some land that had previously been agricultural but was abandoned during the Black Death was resettled, particularly in Norway. Denmark in particular was starting to get a bit crowded, due to it being made up of a small peninsula and even smaller islands, and some Danes went to the other, less densely populated crownlands of Sweden and the aforementioned Norway for land. A few even made it to the New World.
    Speaking of the New World, the colonial events in mainland North America in John’s reign were covered in the last update, but other things did occur. For example, the crown was beginning to look into setting up colonies in the Caribbean and establishing trading posts in Africa and the Orient, although neither of those would come to fruition during John’s reign. An expedition to explore the northern seas of North America and possibly find the fabled Northwest Passage to the Far East was conducted during John’s reign, taking off from Bergen in April of 1566, following the typical Faroes-Iceland-Greenland route that ships headed to the North American colonies took. Instead of heading south towards Vinland, they instead went north along the west coast of Greenland, trying to go as far north as possible. Even in June, though, the sea was eventually blocked by ice, so they’d have to turn around at about the point that Soren Norby did on his first voyage several decades before. They’d follow the ice edge to the southern shore of Helluland, following that into a large strait. The island eventually curved northward, opening up into a large body of water, but this too was still ice covered even in the middle of summer. Thus, they would instead turn southward towards the other shore, to see where that led. The shore would turn towards the south, becoming the eastern shore of a large sea, and the barren tundra would slowly fade back into coniferous taiga as they went south. This would go on for quite a while, as it would take until mid August for them to finally get to the southernmost part of the sea where the shore would turn back northward. From there, they’d return back north and sail out, stopping in Vinland for some extra provisions before returning home by Christmas. The Kalmar Union would go on to further explore this northern sea (please suggest a name for the Hudson Bay) and would later establish trading posts in the region, largely for the fur trade. Fur traders would eventually explore and blaze trails across the continent, even making it to the Pacific Ocean, but that’s a story for another day.
    This was kind of a filler update to give you guys some content while I figure out some more substantial events. Being 40-50 years into the timeline means that the butterflies are going to be spreading further and further out by this point, so it could be a bit before I get another update out. I’ll get back to that, though. For now, I’m gonna rest. I’ll see you guys in due time.

Chapter 12: Poland Stronk

Chapter 12: Poland Stronk

Having done 11 updates focusing primarily on the Kalmar Union, I figure that it’s time that I broaden my horizons and start talking about other countries, which is what several of my upcoming updates will be about. First up on the chopping block is the land of kielbasa and dancing cows, that being Poland. Well, not just Poland, but rather the union of the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania that controlled a wide swath of Central and Eastern Europe. While they were technically two independent states, they had effectively been in a personal union since 1386, when the Polish Queen Jadwiga (also know as one of the most attractive leaders in Civilization VI) married the Lithuanian Grand Duke Jogaila, tying the two countries’ crowns together.
    The Jagiellonian Dynasty would go on to rule Poland-Lithuania for the better part of two centuries, turning the union into one of Europe’s foremost powers. Poland-Lithuania in the middle of the 16th Century was in the midst of the Polish Renaissance, a flowering of culture ranging from the arts to architecture to the burgeoning scientific field. The reigns of Sigismund I and Sigismund II would be remembered as the Polish Golden Age, an era where Poland-Lithuania was at its peak. During this era, Poland-Lithuania was effectively a constitutional monarchy, with the monarch being elected by the nobility, or Szlachta, along with being accountable to said nobility, who made up a larger share of the population (about 10%) than in most other countries, thus making Poland-Lithuania one of Europe’s most democratic countries at the time. In contrast to most of Europe, Poland also had more religious freedom than most of Europe at the time, particularly under the religiously lax Sigismund II. While Poland-Lithuania was still a predominantly Catholic country (or countries), a sizable Protestant movement had developed within the union, with about ¼ of the Polish nobility having become Protestant. In addition, Poland-Lithuania had by the 16th Century the largest Jewish population in the world, as the union was more tolerant towards the Jews than most of the rest of Europe.
    However, the Jagiellonian era was coming to an end in Poland-Lithuania. You see, King Sigismund II, despite having been married three times, had no heir, as he was infertile. Thus, upon his death in 1572, Poland-Lithuania had no obvious successor. This would throw the future of the Polish-Lithuanian throne to the Nobility, who would not only have to pick a new king, but a new royal house as well. One of the candidates for the Polish throne was Henry of Valois, the younger brother of the French King Charles IX. Being from the ruling family of one of Europe’s great powers, it was natural that the Polish-Lithuanian nobles would look at him as a suitable fit for their throne. Others included Ernest of Austria, Alfonso of Ferrara and even Ivan The Terrible. There was another candidate though, one that looked to be more of a natural fit for the Polish-Lithuanian throne.
    A couple of decades earlier, Sigismund II’s sister Catherine had married John II, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Haderslev. While John hadn’t been particularly interested in marrying, a combination of familial pressure and realpolitik meant that he bit the bullet and did it anyway. They married in 1547, when Catherine was 20 and John was 26, and had their first child, a daughter named Anna in March of 1549. Their second child was also a girl, being born in November of 1551 and named Isabella. The third time happened to be the charm, as a baby boy named Casimir was born in January of 1554. John and Catherin would have three more children after that, Sigismund in May of 1558 (who would unfortunately die not long after birth), Elizabeth in October of 1559 and Bogislaw in June of 1561.
    Casimir was lined up to inherit John’s properties, but it was known that Sigismund II was childless, and that Casimir could be a potential candidate for the PLC’s throne. Thus, he (along with his siblings) was given a world-class education for the era, learning to speak Danish, High German, Latin and French in addition to his father’s Low German and mother’s Polish. One thing he didn’t have going for him was that, in contrast to Henry Valois, who was the younger brother of the king of one of Europe’s titans, he was merely the son of a duke, not nearly as prestigious as being the son of a king (but better than being the son of a b*tch, I must say). With that said, the Oldenburgs were still optimistic about his prospects to ascend to the Polish-Lithuanian throne, as he was a grandson of King Sigismund I (and thus nephew of Sigismund II) and was more accustomed to Poland than Henry Valois was, having spent a good chunk of his adolescence there. Thus, when Sigismund II croaked in 1572, it wasn’t entirely sure who would succeed him.
    Poland, being an Elective Monarchy, would throw the question of the successor to Sigismund II to the Szlachta. There were a total of 10 candidates for the throne, meaning that this election would take a while to sort out. After a few months, though, the nobles settled on Casimir of Oldenburg to ascend to the throne, as he was the closest blood relative of the previous king, as well as Sigismund II having had good things to say about him, even if he never officially designated a preferred heir. Thus, the House of Oldenburg-Jagiellon was born, and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and Kalmar Union now gained strong dynastic ties. Would this lead to a long-lasting alliance between the two countries? Well, not really, but there would be one common point of collaboration in the future. However, that’s a story for another day.

Last edited:
    Chapter 13: The Dutch Revolt Begins

Chapter 13: The Dutch Revolt Begins

After covering Poland, I think it’s time to cover another region I’ve planned on touching on, that being the Low Countries. The Low Countries had for a while been one of Europe’s wealthiest and most mercantile regions, with cities like Antwerp and Bruges being some of Europe’s most important cities during this era (although the latter was in decline by the 16th Century due to the inlet it was connected to filling with silt). However, despite its wealth, the Low Countries were not part of any independent Dutch state, as it was ruled by the Habsburg dynasty. The Habsburgs had inherited the Low Countries in 1482 upon the death of Mary of Burgundy, the last ruler from the House of Valois-Burgundy. Shortly after the Habsburg succession to the throne in the Low Countries, the big cities of Flanders revolted against the Habsburgs due to their desire to protect their autonomy. However, these revolts were eventually suppressed, and the Low Countries were solidified as a Habsburg possession, and things stabilized after that. Philip I, the ruler of the former Burgundian Netherlands and King of Spain was born and raised in the Low Countries, and thus understood what was needed to govern the region. The same was true of his son Charles V, who was also born and raised in the Low Countries, so the first half of the 16th Century was by and large stable in the region.
    Things would begin the change upon the abdication of Charles V as Lord of The Netherlands and Duke of Burgundy in favor of his son Philip II in 1555. While both his father and grandfather were born and raised in the Low Countries, Philipp was born and grew up in Spain, and was thus not as equipped to rule in the Low Countries (I dare you to take a shot everytime I use the term “Low Countries”, including that last usage is optional). Due to said Spanish upbringing, Philip was viewed as a foreigner within the HRE, the Burgundian Netherlands very much included. Philip’s policies certainly didn’t help that perception, as many of his initiatives were quite unpopular with the public. This was particularly true in the religious department, as while his father Charles V had been anti-Protestant, Philip II took this to a whole other level. The crackdown on Protestants in the Spanish Netherlands got so harsh that even many Catholics (who still made up the majority of the population at this time) thought it was going overboard. Philip also instituted a reform to the organization of the Catholic Church within the Spanish Netherlands, splitting the three pre-existing dioceses in the Low Countries into 14, which upset some of those within the Church hierarchy in the Low Countries.
    In addition, the residents of the Spanish Netherlands had paid loads of taxes during the Spanish wars against the French, most notably in Italy, which needless to say wasn’t very popular among the Dutch. Philip had appointed Antoine Perrenot de Granville, a statesman from Besançon to the Council of State, and he proved to be very unpopular with the Dutch members of the council, in large part due to his involvement with the Inquisition and becoming the Archbishop of Mechelen (and a Cardinal for that matter) due to the aforementioned church reorganization. Ten prominent Dutch noblemen formed the League Against Granville, petitioning the king to remove Granville from his position in the Council of State. Upon these petitions going unanswered, several prominent nobles left the Council of State, including figures like Philip de Montmorency, William of Orange and Lamoral, Count of Egmont. Granville was eventually recalled, but that wouldn’t be the end of the troubles in the Spanish Netherlands, far from it.
    In April of 1566, several hundred Dutch noblemen, both Protestant and Catholic, petitioned the Spanish Netherlands’ regent Margaret of Parma to tone down the anti-Protestant placards, in what became known as the Compromise of Nobles. Margaret proceeded to suspend the anti-Protestand placards and send two of the Council of State’s members to Spain to get an official response from Philip II. This ceasing of the placards enabled Protestants to spread their views more easily, often holding large public services. The two aforementioned nobles that were sent to Spain to meet Philip made their case to accept the petition. Philip, however, wasn’t sold, and wrote multiple letters to Margaret stating that the petition had been denied. Once the news of the petition’s rejection reached the Netherlands, the Protestants weren’t so enthused. The news of the rejection was followed by the Beeldenstorm, a wave of iconoclasm that involved the sacking and vandalism of Catholic churches and institutions. This led to battles between Calvinist rebels and Spanish troops in the winter between 1566 and 1567. The Spanish leadership in the Netherlands such as Margaret of Parma attempted to calm the situation by giving some more concessions to the Protestants, such as allowing them to have their own churches, but by this point the rebellion was in full swing. Not to worry, though, as the Protestant rebellions were put down by the end of May 1567, and Margaret sent news to Philip that The Netherlands were back under Spanish control.
    Unfortunately for Margaret, news traveled very slowly during this time period, and Philip’s actions reflected that. He was convinced that things were flying out of control in The Netherlands, and that he needed to send in the military to restore order. Thus, he sent in an army of 10,000 men commanded by the Duke of Alba into the Low Countries to pacify the region. By the time the news that it’d already been pacified reached Philip, it was too late, and the military operation had already begun. Alba’s troops arrived in August of 1567, and quickly began restoring order to a region that had already seen order restored months prior. Alba then went about prosecuting perceived enemies of the Spanish crown in the Netherlands, including some prominent Catholic noblemen who had merely tolerated Protestants. In total over 1,000 people were executed by Alba and the Spanish, igniting outrage among the public. With the arrival of Alba and the crackdown upon the opposition, some Dutch noblemen like William of Orange went into exile to avoid prosecution and plan a response. The rebels struck back against the empire the following year, with three separate incursions being carried out by the opposition in 1568. While this was by and large a failure, it marked the point of no return into all-out warfare in The Netherlands between the Spanish and the Dutch rebels. This story still has a long way to go, so stay tuned for more. For now, though, have a happy Halloween.

Chapter 14: The Dutch Revolt Continues

Chapter 14: The Dutch Revolt Continues

Welcome back guys, today we continue our story from the last update. While the failure of William of Orange’s 1568 invasions put a damper in the Dutch Revolt, things would soon ramp back up. The troubles in the Netherlands was not the only conflict Spain was involved in at this time, as they were also busy fighting The Ottomans and intervening in France’s religious strife, which will be the subject of a future update. Between this and privateering on the part of the English, Spain didn’t have enough money to keep fighting all of these conflicts. So, what did the Duke of Alba do? Well, impose a wildly unpopular sales tax of course! While this tax was largely ineffective, it galvanized the previously pacified Dutch back into revolt.
    In 1572, the still exiled William of Orange began his second invasion into the Netherlands, hoping to be able to use dissatisfaction with Alba’s rule to his advantage. The results weren’t that great, though, with Alba’s son Fadrique heading up a counter-offensive that would take the majority of the Netherlands. This counter-offensive included the sacking of several towns that refused to surrender to Fadrique’s forces, including the completely unprovoked massacre of the town of Naarden, killing 3,000 in the process. Rather than breaking the Dutch rebels, the war crimes committed by Fadrique only solidified their will to fight, as it showed that if they were to die, they might as well die in a blaze of glory. The Spanish soon after began to siege the city of Haarlem, but the citizens of the city, presumably skilled in athletics and travel, refused to capitulate. Haarlem would hold out until July of 1573 before capitulating, but during that time, the Dutch rebels were able to recuperate during this time, coming out stronger after the siege. Spain’s counter-offensive stagnated after they took Haarlem, and the Dutch won some key battles and took control of the seas. The Duke of Alba resigned from his position as Governor-General at the end of 1573 and returned to Spain, but this wouldn’t stop the rebellion.
    The replacement to Alba, Luis de Requesens y Zuñiga, was more moderate and tried to reconcile with the Dutch rebels, but the question of religion prevented any sort of deal from being made. Thus, the war would continue. In late 1573, Fadrique would begin the Siege of Leiden, which went through the winter and into the spring of 1574, as the town had stocked up on food. In April of 1574, a group of mercenaries led by Louis of Nassau attempted to break the siege and engaged the Spanish in battle, but were defeated and failed to end the siege. The Dutch wouldn’t give up though, as they had a plan that could force the Spanish to pull back. The Dutch are known for being master engineers, particularly when it comes to engineering the land. Much of The Netherlands is below sea level, hence the name Netherlands or Low Countries, with the land being kept dry by a series of dykes and earthworks that hold back the sea. So, if you broke said dykes, the land would flood. Well, that’s exactly what they did. The dykes were intentionally broken, a bunch of land surrounding the town flooded, and the Dutch were able to recapture Ledien.
    By this point, the Spanish crown was beginning to run out of money. This was a serious problem, since this meant that Philip II couldn’t pay his troops, among many other issues coming from said lack of funds. The Spanish crown officially declared bankruptcy on the first of September in 1575, which certainly wasn’t a positive development. Between that and Requesens’ death the following March, the Spanish situation in the Low Countries or in general wasn’t looking too good. Being chronically underpaid and presumably having low morale, Spanish troops and mercenaries would mutiny en masse, if they weren’t busy sacking numerous towns and cities in what became known as the Spanish Fury. These sackings included Antwerp, the largest port city in the Low Countries, being sacked in November of 1576, with the city going up in smoke and at least 7,000 people dying, possibly up to 18,000.
    This would wind up being a turning point in the Dutch Revolt, as the region was enraged by the wanton brutality and rapaciousness of the Spanish troops. Thus, shortly after the sacking of Antwerp, all of the provinces of the Spanish Netherlands aside from Luxembourg created the Pacification of Ghent, the main aim of which was to remove unruly Spanish troops and mercenaries from the Low Countries. The Pacification would pave the way for the Union of Brussels to be declared in 1577, uniting all of the Dutch provinces apart from Luxembourg against the Spanish crown, although the Dutch had not yet declared full-on independence. Unfortunately for the Dutch, however, this union wouldn’t last for all that long, as the divide between Catholics and Calvinists was too much to bridge. Thus, the three southern, mainly Langue D’Oïl and overwhelmingly Catholic provinces of Artois, Hainaut and Walloon Flanders formed the Union of Arras in January of 1579. They’d make peace with the Spanish crown later that year, thus defecting from the Dutch revolt. Soon after several northern provinces would form the Union of Utrecht, which would later be joined by more northern provinces and several large Flemish cities. The following year, the States-General would offer Francis of Anjou the role of leadership in The Netherlands, which he would accept in the Treaty of Plessis-les-Tours. The following year would have the most decisive moment of the rebellion thus far. On the 26th of July, 1581, the provinces comprising the Union of Utrecht would officially declare their independence from the Spanish crown in the Act of Abjuration, on the grounds that Philip had become tyrannical. What had started as a revolt against Spanish excesses had now become a full-on war of independence, one that the Dutch would get foreign support in. The Dutch Revolt has by and large gone as it did IOTL thus far, but things will start to change in the third update, which should be out around the end of this month or beginning of the next. Until that comes, though, have a great day.

Chapter 15: The Dutch Revolt Succeeds

Chapter 15: The Dutch Revolt Succeeds

After 15 years of rebellions and warfare, the Dutch rebels had finally declared their independence from the Spanish crown. What had long been a rebellion for more autonomy and less intrusive governance had now become a full on war of independence, with the Dutch now wanting to become an independent state in their own right. With this, the Dutch rebels would now be able to seek foreign support for their rebellion, which they would wind up getting from a few sources. They’d gone for French support by offering Francis of Anjou the role of Protector of the Netherlands, but they would seek additional support from other European powers. This included England, who were a major trading partner of the Dutch and also had a pro-Dutch, Protestant monarch in Queen Elizabeth. The English would join the war on the side of the Dutch a few years after the Act of Abjuration, although they never officially declared war on the Spanish.
    One more power the Dutch were seeking the support of was the Kalmar Union. This made a ton of sense, as the Kalmar Union was a major trade partner, had become Protestant early in the Reformation and had a king, the now elderly John II, who had long been keeping an eye on the Dutch Revolt but hadn’t officially intervened. With the Act of Abjuration, though, Hans decided that it was time to reach out to the Dutch rebels and offer his support. He wrote a letter directed toward William of Orange in 1582, offering military aid to the new Dutch state. William wholeheartedly accepted the offer, and by 1583 an expeditionary force of a few thousand Nordic troops had been deployed in The Netherlands, alongside a decent slice of the Nordic navy, which by this point had become one of Europe’s strongest.
    This wasn’t without Francis of Anjou, dissatisfied with his limited role in Dutch governance, tried to forcefully take over Brabant and Flanders in early 1583, but was ultimately repelled and returned to France in the middle of that year. This also soured the reputation of William of Orange, who’d been a long time supporter of Francis of Anjou’s claim to the Dutch throne. When combined with a sizable bounty that Philip II of Spain had placed on his head, assassination attempts on Orange were pretty much bound to occur (and had already occurred). After an assassination scare in early 1585, Orange decided that he should keep a lower profile, retreating to one of his country estates, although he’d still be involved in a less prominent manner (IOTL Orange was assassinated in 1584, but it was butterflied ITTL).
    Anyway, back to the actual war. The new Governor-General of the Spanish Netherlands, Alexander Farnese, Duke of Parma, was a skilled military commander, and when combined with him being more tactful than the previous Duke of Alba, the Spanish began to see a lot of success in the war. The Spanish retook much of Flanders by the end of 1584, and were attempting to take Antwerp once again. However, the combination of Dutch Hellburner fireships and Nordic troops, now numbering around 10,000 in the Netherlands, were able to repel the Spanish (a different outcome than IOTL, where Antwerp fell in August of 1585). This victory was able to change the tide of the war, as the successful defense of Antwerp was a big boost to Dutch morale. Combine that with the entry of the English, and things would start to turn around. During 1586, the combined Dutch, Nordic and English forces would retake much of Flanders, along with parts of the north that had been under Spanish control since the war’s beginning. By 1588, the borders had been restored to their state in 1580, plus the aforementioned northern area that the Dutch had conquered. Combine that with a failed Spanish invasion of England in that summer, and it looked as though the new Dutch state was secure. It was finally at this moment that the Spanish and Dutch/Nordic/English alliance agreed to a truce, which would last for ten years. While the Spanish wouldn’t officially recognize Dutch independence, the Netherlands were de facto an independent country at this point, and were recognized as such by many other European states. Now, they just needed a ruler…
    After the Act of Abjuration in 1581, the new Dutch state would go about searching for a monarch. As mentioned earlier, they’d first tried to get the French royal Francis of Anjou the throne, but that didn’t ultimately work out very well. The Dutch would also offer the King of France and Elizabeth I of England the throne, but were turned down both times. There was one more option that the Dutch had for a monarch, though, that being the Oldenburg dynasty of the Kalmar Union. The now elderly King John II of the Kalmar Union had produced three surviving male children. The first of them was Frederick, who, being the heir to the Nordic throne, wasn’t really an option. No, the Dutch were looking at John’s other two male children. There was Canute, who was the second son of King John. Canute was no longer second in line to take the throne, as the aforementioned Frederick had married in 1573 and had a son of his own, named John after Frederick’s father, as well as two daughters for that matter. He’d gotten married by this point and had given birth to two daughters, so while a male heir was lacking at the moment, it was still within the realm of possibility to eventually occur. He’d also been to The Netherlands on several occasions and had some knowledge of the Dutch language, so he wouldn’t be a total stranger. Thus, Canute would accept the offer to become King of The Netherlands, though he’d wait to be officially crowned until after the truce. In July of 1588, after the truce had been declared, Canute arrived in Antwerp, still the capital of The Netherlands despite the attacks and sieges, in order to be crowned. Thus, Canute (or Knoet in Dutch) would officially become King Canute I of The Netherlands, becoming the third major country to fall under the rule of the Oldenburg Dynasty. The Dutch Revolt against the Spanish may have been long, but it was ultimately successful, and while things would likely erupt again as soon as the truce ended, they’d have a decade to prepare for the inevitable. For the Oldenbergs, taking the Dutch throne further solidified them as one of Europe’s premier royal houses. While they may not have been as OP as the Habsburgs, even after they lost most of The Netherlands, they could still throw their weight around to a sizable degree, and were arguably the most influential family in Northern Europe. Having the wealthy, mercantile region of The Netherlands under their thumb would prove to be a huge boon for the Oldenburgs over the coming century, but that’ll be a story for another time. Hopefully I can squeeze in another update before the year is out, but if not, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Chapter 16: France Equinoctial

Chapter 16: France Equinoctial

Bonjour, mes amis, et bienvenue à la France. Yeah, it was only a matter of time before I did a French update, considering that France during this era was one of, if not the, premier countries of Europe. Ever since the time of Charlemagne, France had been a giant in the European political scene, one that the rest of Europe sometimes teamed up against to keep it from dominating the continent. Then again, describing France as a single country wasn’t nearly a good enough picture, as even by the standards of the time France was very decentralized, with much of the country under the control of local nobility rather than the king in Paris. The 16th Century would prove to be a time of great upheaval and change in the land of baguettes and croissants, which is what we’ll cover in this update here today. I was originally going to do one large update, but it'd been too long since the last update and I felt as though this segment was long enough, so I'm gonna have this be a French colonial update and the next one be an update on France proper.
    France had been involved in the exploration of the Americas from very early on, with Columbus’s brother even visiting France to try and get the French king to back his brother’s idea for an expedition seeking a western route to the Far East. France conducted exploration of the east coast of North America under explorers Giovanni da Verrazzano and Jacques Cartier in the early-mid 16th Century, and founded a short lived colony in Southern Brazil and several failed colonies in North America, one in the location that would later become the Nordic Kebæk and a couple along the Southeastern coast of the continent that would later be colonized by the English. Despite these failures, the French were still interested in overseas expansion, and after they got through some of the troubles I’ll touch on later, they would go at it again.
    While France had failed in their attempt to colonize Southern Brazil, ceding it to the Portuguese who’d later turn it into the major colonial port city of Rio de Janeiro, the northern coast of South America was largely uncolonized. Seeing the potential of both a forward base between the Spanish in New Granada and Portugal in Brazil, the King of France ordered the creation of a colonial charter for the land between the Orinoco and Saint-François rivers, to be called France Équinoxiale in the year 1601. Three years later, an expedition set out from the port city of La Rochelle to found the first French colony on the north coast of South America. The fleet departed from La Rochelle in May of 1604, with a target destination of somewhere between the Amazon and the northernmost Portuguese colonies in Brazil. They hopped on the southward Canary Current, which enabled them to sail down the arid northwest coast of Africa at a relatively fast pace. Upon reaching Cap Blanc, they struck out to sea, following the route the Portuguese usually used. After passing the Portuguese islands of Cabo Verde, they began to sail in a southwesterly direction in order to cross the Mid-Atlantic, which was the way the current was turning anyway. After several weeks over open ocean, the fleet finally spotted land. The land here was just vast, seemingly endless sandy beaches, definitely pretty but not an ideal place to dock and found a settlement. There were occasionally some rivers that would flow into the sea, which was useful to gather the by now very much needed fresh water but still not the most useful for settlement, as the mouths of said rivers were mostly sand-clogged not navigable for oceangoing vessels. After several days of traversing the coastline, the French fleet would finally find what they were looking for, as the coastline opened up into a large, deep harbor, fed by multiple rivers and with a lush, verdant landscape. This seemed to be a very good location to set up shop, so they docked along the shore and officially founded the settlement of Saint-Louis on August 2nd, 1604.
    After founding the city and celebrating their first mass in South America, the French colonists went about clearing land for agriculture, building key infrastructure like a dock and laying out a basic townsite. This did not come easy, though, as the tropical climate and diseases were unhealthy for the French settlers. The majority of the colonists would die within the first year, and the colony only survived due to a new shipment of colonists from France and cooperation with the local natives. A few of the colonists even married or otherwise had liaisons with native women, due to the colonists being overwhelmingly male, leading to the first mixed-race children being born. The offspring of French colonists (mostly male) and natives (mostly female) would be dubbed the Métis, who would over time become a sizable chunk of the Equinoctian population.
    Upon the success of the first colony, the French founded two additional settlements by 1610, Port du Roi in 1606 and Sainte-Hélène in 1608. With the tropical climate and resulting high mortality rate for French settlers, France Equinoctial soon got involved in, um, a certain trans-oceanic trade that was beginning to take off around this time. Yup, slavery. The first Africans taken in bondage to France Equinoctial arrived in Saint-Louis in 1612, quickly being put to work on nearby plantations growing cash crops like sugar, coffee, cotton and tobacco. Even by the standards of slavery this was just brutal. The average life expectancy of the ones who survived the voyage from hell across the Atlantic was just a few years of grueling, backbreaking labor. Some of them would escape off the plantations where they were enslaved into the vast interior, becoming known as the Maroons. The children of two African slaves would inherit their parents’ enslaved status, while the children of an African slave (usually female) and a European colonist (usually male) would often be freed, if only because the colony needed enough free inhabitants to squash any potential slave revolt. I’m going to do an update on the Atlantic Slave Trade at some point, so I’ll refrain from talking any more about the peculiar institution in France Equinoctial for the time being, but rest assured I’ll get back to this topic in the future. It’s been nice talking about the France Equinoctial, but it’s about time I get to talking about France proper. That’ll come in Part 2, which hopefully will be out sometime this month, so enjoy this update and have a good day.

Last edited:
    If I Ever Get Banned
  • I know I've stated this before, but I'm restating it so it can be threadmarked. If I am ever banned from this website, I will be continuing both this and my other TL on alternate-timelines.com. It is the only AH.com alternative that I am aware of, and I'm confident that I wouldn't be the only AH.com refugee on the website. This poster is copy/pasted from my other TL's thread.

Home | alternate-timelines.com

Visit our forum at: alternate-timelines.com
    alternate-timelines.com
    alternate-timelines.com