UK German peace in 1940

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh FFS! Not this chestnut yet again?

Can we have a thread stickied like the USM one with this question? It comes up with tedious regularity.

ghyo

Banned
After the Treaty of Versailles was signed the Weimar Republic was never a French puppet state and was never regarded as such.
Vichy France existed merely to rule those parts of Southern-Central France that the Germans did not initially want to occupy. By November 1942 its independence - if it can even be called that - was gone, it was occupied by the German Army. Even Petain had effectively given up any pretence that he was a real head of a sovereign state - the Army was gone, the Navy had scuttled itself or deserted.
Vichy France was a brutal police state, a collaborationist, anti-Semitic, shadow of the Third Republic, led by increasingly irrelevant men existing in a delusional vacuum of power. The last days of the Vichy Government, after it was forced to flee to a castle in Austria IIRC, was pathetic - squabbling men dictating memos that no-one would ever read about areas that were no longer controlled by them.
Yes I agree Vichy France lost sovereignty over time and after case anton ceased to exist as an independent nation. However I think France would have had basically the treaty of Versailles forced upon it. I think this idea of a nazi puppet France or Hitler annex France is too far. Unless you consider Petain a puppet.

I literally was tho. Petain became leader and then a dictator completely legitimately via a vote. Yes it collaborated with the Germans but so did many other independent states.
Yeah I think we're done here. Independent state with two million of it's soldiers in POW camps and with half it's mainland under German occupation.

Status
Not open for further replies.