• No (Redo it)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
August 1996

Deleted member 100251

Well, I'm rebooting my gaming TL again. (To see an older version look here: Of Bits and Bytes )
I'm going to be starting out a little differently. I'm writing this differently, and including some new stuff.
So, again for the third time, here we go! (Sorry about redoing this TL so many times. :/)

On August 15th, 1996, Nintendo's fifth generation console, the Nintendo Ultra, was finally released in Japan at a price of 37,500 yen. Being the first official 64-bit console, it stood out due to its power.

It launched with a sparse amount of titles, the only ones being: Ultra Mario World, Pilotwings USA, and Saikyō Habu Shōgi.

Ultra Mario World is Mario's first 3D title. It involves the classic plot of Bowser kidnapping Princess Peach and Mario having to save her. To do so he must collect 100 out of 150 stars, which are scattered across the 20 various worlds and 15 secret courses accessed through Peach's Castle.
Four of the worlds include:
  • Wario’s Woods - A location adapted from the 1994 NES/SNES game Wario’s Woods. Although Toad and his allies did restore the woods to its original form by the end of the game, Wario has returned and built a castle. In order to return the woods to their original state once again, Mario has to traverse the castle to find and fight Wario (the world’s boss). After Wario has been defeated, Wario’s Castle crumbles apart, allowing the woods to regrow once again.
  • Flooding Caverns - This world takes place on an underground beach, surrounded by rocky walls, with an opening at the top. The goal is to the top before whole thing floods. The water level increases gradually, giving you 20 minutes to complete the level. If you don’t make it in time, you get kicked out of the level and have to restart it. There are many ledges you can use to climb your way to the top.
  • Wild Wetlands - A swamp-like world with quicksand-like mud, and Amazonian-styled Shy Guys. (With dart guns that cause 3 temporary effects: you to lose health, slow down, or cannot jump)
  • Crystal Ravine - A ravine world situated parallel to a volcano. As the name suggests there are many crystal like objects situated throughout the area.
Two of the secret courses include:
  • Run Fast Forest - A 2.5D Styled world in which 2 players (as the Mario Bros.) attempt to get all stars and finish the level without getting caught by a giant Koopa.
  • Peach’s Kitchen - An accessible room hidden in Peach’s Castle. It is where she bakes her cakes. Inside there is a hungry giant Shy Guy who wants cakes. In order to leave the room and get two stars, you must bake him one.

Pilotwings USA is a collaboration between Nintendo and Paragidm Simulation, and the second installment in the Pilotwings series. It is a relatively simple simulator having you do certain tasks while over famous US locations like the Golden Gate Bridge, Mt. Rushmore, the Satue of Liberty, and the Seattle Space Needle, as well as famous US cities like New York City, Washington D.C, San Fransisco, Chicago, and Boston.

Other major titles released this month include of:
  • Tekken 2 (PS1)
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (PC)
  • Die Hard Trilogy (PS1, Saturn, PC)
  • Madden NFL 97 (PS1, PC, Saturn, SNES)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well good luck with this endeavour, you're learning so feeling not satisfied with your own work and rewrite is the most natural action any author can do, so goes ahead, do your post, study about the game and how will be affected and so on.

Loved the new description of the new levels in Ultra Mario World, pretty originals and add some nice callback, putting the Paper Mario Cooking minigame here was nice.

Ultra's Hardware and Development

Deleted member 100251

Now... This is going to be a shorter update, but will have some interesting components to it.
So, here we go.
_______
Nintendo Ultra Hardware and Development
The Nintendo Ultra is remembered for its power. It was one beast of a machine.

CPU: NEC VR4300 @ 93.75 MHz
GPU: SGI RCP @ 67.5 MHz
Sound: Philips U965
Memory: 8 MB RAM
Media: CD-ROM

Development started in late 1993 after Nintendo accepted SGi’s offer for a 64-bit chipset.
The first prototype designs were leaked quarter 2 of 1994. The system was originally considerably bulkier and had a cartridge slot. It was originally called the “Ultra 64”.
In July of 1995, Panasonic offered a deal to Nintendo, betraying the 3DO Company and caused their console’s premature death. After Nintendo accepted, Panasonic began work on the system’s CD drive and invested $105 million into finishing development of the console.
Out of the 105 million dollars invested, Nintendo used 5 million to convince Philips to work on the system’s sound chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
96 MB Game Pak
You slipped a number there, unless those 96MB is like an internal memory, there is not system with that much capacity, even memory cards of PS1 were 4MB at much, i can imagine 2 to 6 MB Controller pak or there is something i don't recall?

Deleted member 100251

Oh yeah, its an internal memory (or so I presumed, as OTL it was 64MB)

Oh yeah, its an internal memory (or so I presumed, as OTL it was 64MB)
I don't remember any idea of internal memory(that was A 64DD Thing?) and even saturn was 1MB, memory is as expensive as ram so better just give that cost via Controller Pak/Memory cards

Deleted member 100251

Hmmm... Interesting
Here is what I found on the N64 Wikipedia page (not sure how reliable, as its Wikipedia :winkytongue:)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 5.12.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 5.12.43 PM.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 336
Hmmm... Interesting
Here is what I found on the N64 Wikipedia page (not sure how reliable, as its Wikipedia :winkytongue:)
Those are the cartidge, game pak was the name of the cartidge and media refer how games is played so that should be erased as the media is now CD thanks to Panasonic.

Philips U965

Deleted member 100251

A shorter update than usual... But, it provides some details about the Philips U965
_______
Philips U695

The Philips U695 is a 16-bit, 24 channel programmable sound generator operating at 48 kHz. It was designed and developed by Philips for the Nintendo Ultra home video game console. Production started in Quarter 4 1995, after a deal ending with Nintendo giving them around 4.7% of the $105 Million Panasonic invested into developing the Ultra.

September 1996

Deleted member 100251

September 1996

The second month for the Nintendo Ultra brought more success, with the release of Wave Race Ultra and Tobal No. 1.

Wave Race Ultra is the second title in the Wave Race series, and a follow-up to its Game Boy predecessor. It is a racing game in which the player jet skis on 10 different courses under different weather conditions. There are 5 playable characters:
  • Ryota Hayami (Japan)
  • Dave Mariner (USA)
  • Ayumi Stewart (USA)
  • Miles Jeter (Canada)
  • Ava Jack (Australia) - Has poor handling and grip, but is the fastest. She also has moderate acceleration.
The last course is considered the hardest. Blownover Bay starts off from a beach (surrounded by a jungle) with multiple small wooden docks. Once it starts, hurricane-like conditions start happening. By lap 1, wind speeds are high enough to slow down players. By lap 3, wind speeds have decimated the island, and carry debris, if a player gets hit they are stopped all together.
There are five game modes: Championship, Warm Up, Time Trials, Stunt Mode, and Multiplayer.

Tobal No. 1 is a fighting game by DreamFactory, published by Square. It proved to be mildly successful, thanks to a Final Fantasy VII demo disc included with early versions. It was successful enough for it to spawn at least one sequel and for Square to keep its eyes on DreamFactory.

Other major releases this month include of:
  • Virtua Fighter 3 (Arcade)
  • Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
  • Wipeout 2097 (PS1)
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Saturn, PS1)
  • Donkey Kong Land 2 (GB)

Well with the sony bridge massively vaporized and Yamaha working with Sega, Philips seems a good choice specially if both companies tried to improved after the cdi-snes-cd-cdi failed, so yeah nice cd chips, ultra will need any extra horsepower to bridge the demand of ram the CD will bring into the system.

Nice extra space they added an extra track and rider to Wave Race ultra, will add a lot more to the game and improved it and Tobal give us something for the 3d figther itches.

Deleted member 100251

Thanks!
That was exactly my reasoning for choosing Philips. Nintendo already kind of had ties with them, when working on the SNES-CD. Since Philips isn't really returning to the gaming market, and the Ultra showed lots of promise to them, they decided to agree.

Yeah, with the extra space, Wave Race Ultra is a little bigger than Wave Race 64. And more popular.

Tobal is going to help soothe those 3D fighter itches, for now. (I have plans for another fighting series, hehe.)

October 1996

Deleted member 100251

October 1996

This was a slow month for the Ultra. The only major title it received was Street Fighter Alpha 1+2, a compilation of the first and second Street Fighter Alphas.

This gave time for the PS1 to play catch up. It received the titles of Vandal Hearts, Bubsy 3D, and Twisted Metal 2.

Other titles released this month include of:
  • Command & Conquer: Red Alert (MS-DOS)
  • SimCopter (PC)
  • NBA Live 97 (Saturn, PS1, SNES)

Yeah Slow Month but still make sense as developers just start to develop or port their games to the system, IIRC, we might still get a Command and Conquer port, even red alert now thanks to CD Media.

Deleted member 100251

The Nov. 1996 update is coming tomorrow.

Let's see what I have planned...
Ultra's American Launch (check)
Tamagotchi (check)
How the PS1 and Saturn are handling the Ultra's might (check)

This is going to be pretty big...

Anything else I should cover?

Will be a big month, for me is pretty packed so the rest will be fine, want to see competitors reaction to the console.