These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

BBC Travel: Boston (BOSNE) to Southampton (STHUK)
1s2kKe2.png

Last edited:
This reminds me of a joke from a Britcom. One person went shopping and stated that the detergent had the ingredient two-stroke-six-dee (2/6d); the main character said it was the price sticker....two and sixpence.

How much international travel is still by Air? By Ship?

It is primarily by sea. Airplanes are heavily regulated and heavily, heavily taxed. The price of a transatlantic airline ticket could easily be 10-25x the price of a transatlanic voyage.

Wait so did the Titanic never sink ITTL?

The RMS Titanic did not sink, amusingly enough I contribute this to the advanced climate change. There simply was no iceberg. She had a long, but troubled, career and was sunk as a troop transport ship by the French Navy in 1926 during the Great Continental War, with a loss of nearly one thousand New England and Canadian soldiers.

Thank GOD for OTL decimalisation!

It's a bit of a mess innit?

Yeah; I was wondering what the rough exchange rates would be ITTL, between this page and the menu.

An effective comparison is not able to be made, given the difficulties of measuring value not only across time, but an alternate global economy. £1 in TFS has a rough conversion rate of anywhere between £20 and £50 OTL.

Judging from the prices, inflation is not a huge factor in this timeline?

The Pound Sterling, and all associated scheduled territories, use the bimetallic standard. Both gold and silver back up the price of the pound, and while there has been inflation, the currency itself is not free floating, and is the world's standard. Most countries in the world use some form of a metallic standard (Japan is the only major country with a fiat currency), but there are effective fiat currencies, as Prussia's is "metallic" in the sense its backed up by the price of iron, which fluctates fairly rapidly and is an effective floating currency.

So, Petersburg somehow survived TTL Global Warming and Global Flooding?
Russia would hardly let it's capital flood without a fight.

It probably has extensive seawalls.

This is correct. St. Petersburg is a city of 23 million, and it has extensive sea walls and flood defences, as well as extensive land reclamation to accomidate such a massive population. There's a decent amount of money spent on it being kept high and dry. You can see here via the (unreleased!) State Duma constituency map that the land is mostly fine. Duma constituencies are ~600k in population each.

jy93Kca.png

It is primarily by sea. Airplanes are heavily regulated and heavily, heavily taxed. The price of a transatlantic airline ticket could easily be 10-25x the price of a transatlanic voyage.
Do transistors, jet-powered engines, and median forms of big box computer desktops invented differently than the OTL?

Then, what happened to the development of the aircraft? I'm exactly pinpointing the climate change that prevented the OTL international travel which might kill off the development of the air travel.