The Warring State of Libya - A Country at War

Introduction

Introduction

"We thought putting down Gaddafi will make life better for us... we were wrong."
Abdulrahman Turiq, Former Carpenter
Haftar is dead.

The nation lies in ruins and the once calming sea of the great sand is spilled with blood. The people, once optimistic to embrace the world, has crumbled and faces them with great contempt.

Their lands shattered, brim with ambitious warlords and scheming demagogues. The weak dragged from their homes and forced to serve their new masters, and the tales of the old has come to left - roaming the seas once again for glory and gold. While his Marshal's most loyal bickers through the cracks, new powers have begun to usurp the land. From the rekindled forces of the Daesh to greedy brokers from the south, they stop at nothing to fulfill their right. The ghost of the past, once condemned by many, has risen back from the dead in a euphoric triumph - under the visage of a new man.

The peace that all have yearned for many years has gone, dissipated to the endless smog. The people have taken matters into their own hands as institutions that supposed to bring them from the rubble has failed. The war is another bloody chapter in human history, one that will end years of conflict. It will not only paved the way for the future of Libya but eventually for the world itself.​

Last edited:
Factions
FACTIONS

Green Army
: Once a feeble band of militia squabbling over the town of Bani Walid, now an emerging goliath encompassing the entirety of Tripolitania. The Green Army has proved themselves to be the direst threat for the rivalling powers; echoing the ideals of the man they once toppled and the legacy that comes with it.

They housed the largest army in Libya, over 250,000 - 500,000 men, women, and children joined to fight for the unity of their home. They also wield anything from that’s available; from the most powerful of cannons to the lowest arms they can bear.

This apocalyptic movement was the brainchild of their newest leader: an enigmatic Tuareg from the soothing dunes of the south. Dubbed by many editorialized articles as the ghostly figment of Gaddafi’s legacy (Ghost of Muammar), he dragged what’s left of the loyalist from their lowest point and stormed across the region of Tripolitania, uniting the most devastated region and transformed it into a unified polity back by a zealous euphoria. [EDITED]

Islamic State of Libya: After a risky endeavour to cross through the open seas of the Mediterranean, the Islamic States has risen back in a triumphant comeback, overwhelming the bickering warlords that once plagued the coast. As Baghdadi died in mysterious circumstances, a new caliph emerged: a religious yet shrewd man, one that lacks the fanaticism that both his brothers and foes comes to expect.

They raid the seas and terrorize the coast; kidnapping almost everyone in the name of slavery, organ-harvesting, ransoming, and so on. They thrived in piracy and generated a steady income for their men. Under the rulership of this new caliph, life is surprisingly peaceful and stable; the only sound they can hear is the soothing waves of the shores and the bustling chatters of its markets.

The New Caliph, Ibn al-Khattab, was described by many of his guests says: surprisingly moderate and an excellent statesman. He managed the local economy of fisheries, taxation, and unfortunately human trafficking, and developed a consistent system of public security; leaving the people to thrive economically, despite being pressured by many. [EDITED]

The Five Cliques: One of the few remaining warlords left to bicker around the sand. The personalities that lead them are nothing more but mere opportunist; inherited the prestige and power once provided by Khalifa Haftar.

Despite their lack of military acumen or experiences, they’re still capable of manipulating their local political discourse and maintaining the loyalty of their men; either through sheer reward of privileges or brutal liquidation.

Three out of five of them inherited their former leader’s chemical programs; both the platform and the payload. It’s both a blessing and a curse because, despite its ability to deter anyone from attacking them, it’s also a nebulous weapon that will potentially risk their prestige and status.

The following cliques are: Mansur, Mustafa, Hussain, Khattuf, and Aswan. [EDITED]

Libyan National Army: Viewing themselves as the sole legitimate authority over the State of Libya, they’re the remnants of what remains of its governmental institution. They’re governed by the Libyan General Staff - with the Generalissimo serving as their head representative.

The LNA maintained a decently-sized professional army, backed by an elite mechanized force which played an instrumental role in Haftar’s swift reclamation of Tripolitania - back in 2020. They’re the only few factions within the Warring State to wield its own Air Force and one of the four factions to inherit Haftar’s now-exposed chemical program.

Despite this, however, the LNA has yet to reclaim its northern regions of Cyrenaica. The fact that they’re unpopular amongst the coastal regions of both Cyrenaica and Tripolitania has left them with only the abundant oil reserves as a major drive for their income and manpower. [NEW]

Free State of Sabha: The city of Sabha has always been an eloquent centre for human trafficking, but it wasn’t until the death of Haftar and the chaotic turmoil that follows that the city rises to prominence.

Sabha, for better or worse, is one of the most economically prosperous factions in the Warring State. Its commitment to land development, consistent taxation, and the massive surplus of slaves has allowed them to invest their income on infrastructure and eventually, it's military - a mix of levied militias, police force, and foreign mercenaries.

Sabha has a population that’s mostly composed of West African slaves; mostly people from Burkina Faso and Northern Nigeria. They take a huge chunk of the demographic, with 65 percent of their originated from the region. [NEW]

Hun: Another state that exploited the recent crises and the following migrations that emerged from West Africa, the city-state of Hun is another faction that prospered through the thriving economy of human trafficking.

Nothing out of the ordinary, Hun has maintained cordial relations with their larger neighbour - Sabha. Despite some minor clashed, they realized the benefits of sheer cooperation in order to realize their ambitions. [NEW]

Libyan Tribes
: The tribes of Libya has always played an instrumental role in Libya’s history: from fending off against the Italian invaders to recently overthrowing Gaddafi. To this day, they still play a huge role in Libya society, albeit not as influential as before.

The following tribes are: Alwad Busayf, Zintan, Guwaid, Warfalla, Qaddafid, Meghara, and Tebbou. [NEW]

Confederation of the Tribes
: A confederation of tribes trying to protect their people from the massive onslaught. They’re a stubborn faction isolated from the current affairs that plague the nation.

Despite their attempts to maintain neutrality, it has become less reliable. With the major player becoming more powerful as time passes by, the debate over choosing which side has become a situation they’ll inevitably need to answer.

Tuareg State of Azawad: Separatist militias bent to carve the southern edge of Libya to form their own home. They’re the lone raiders that haunt the deserts and terrorize those who dare to oppose them. They’re also the only ally the Green Army has, who share his common value of independence and dignity.

They’re known for the ferocity and determination of its calvary; skilled in the matters of navigation and survival. The Ghost of Muammar is a byproduct of that doctrine; infusing the old tradition of warfare with the new empiric matters of military science. [EDITED]

Last edited:
Author's PSA
--- Author's PSA ---
11/5/2018: For those interested, here's an alternative link DeviantArt. I'll provide supplementary content to provide context that will contextualize the war.

01/04/2019: Yes, I barely post anything substantial since the publication, but that's mostly because I don't really have any plans to expand without proper scheduling. However, with the recent strawpoll, I can now fill it with enough content to make y'all satisfied.

I'll be expanding on the "Ghost of Muammar" as a character and make maps for the Green Army and Sabha and Hub. Stay tuned, my friends!

03/19/2019: If you guys are not aware, I made a poll on which maps should I make first. Obviously, people love the idea of Napoleon screwing around the British Isle. That doesn't that no one voted the stuff related to the series. So here are the following list of stuff I'm going to make in the future:
  1. The Neo Barbary Corsair Crisis - Remastered
  2. Battle of Bani Walid (2025)
  3. Pre-Green Army Tripolitania (2023)
  4. The Hijacking of FS Latouche-Treville (2026)
  5. Julia Kaufmann, An Introduction
Well, I think that's the stuff I need to address. Goodbye, Y'all.

Last edited:
This looks great (not to mention frighteningly plausible). I'm definitely following this TL.

A few notes:

-The reborn IS looks like a modern reincarnation of the Barbary Pirates. How much of a menace are they outside of Libyan coast? Have they staged raids against Tunisia and Algeria? Hopefully the Egyptian, French and Italian navies and coast guards make mincemeat of them.

-This scenario has definite echoes of the Chinese Civil War

-What sort of international backing do the factions have, if any? I'd assume no one's (officially) backing IS and the slavers.

-God damn, that's one sexy map in the OP!

Last edited:
This looks great (not to mention frighteningly plausible). I'm definitely following this TL.
Thanks!

The reborn IS looks like a modern reincarnation of the Barbary Pirates. How much of a menace are they outside of Libyan coast? Have they staged raids against Tunisia and Algeria? Hopefully the Egyptian, French and Italian navies and coast guards make mincemeat of them.
They're the biggest threat in the Mediterranean in recent history. Remember, it's one of the world's busiest shipping routes and most metropolises are situated within the coastlines; it's a good source of wealth ripe for the taking and they show absolute cunning in action. With that fact come to mind, they'll hijack wandering cargos and kidnap Europeans for ransom. They don't raid Tusinia and Algeria because most of their people are not profitable for slavery as they value the commodity of Europeans and Africans more. And it's also hard to counter them because, despite the fact they're powerless to face a professional navy upfront, they're adept on evading warships; able to come up with creative ideas such as using minisubmarines or using hostages as human shields or just outpacing them from far distances with confusing maneuvers.

I'll probably expand it with a new map, especially when I discarded the old one.

-What sort of international backing do the factions have if any?
Green Army: None recognized them as a legitimate government, although there are some who sympathize with their cause, especially most of the Middle East. However, they do attract foreign volunteers to fight for them, but what comes next for them is unknown.

Council of Generals: The only government to have at least some degree of international recognition: from Egypt, Russia, China, and even Israel.

-God damn, that's one sexy map in the OP!
Thanks!

Thanks!

They're the biggest threat in the Mediterranean in recent history. Remember, it's one of the world's busiest shipping routes and most metropolises are situated within the coastlines; it's a good source of wealth ripe for the taking and they show absolute cunning in action. With that fact come to mind, they'll hijack wandering cargos and kidnap Europeans for ransom. They don't raid Tusinia and Algeria because most of their people are not profitable for slavery as they value the commodity of Europeans and Africans more. And it's also hard to counter them because, despite the fact they're powerless to face a professional navy upfront, they're adept on evading warships; able to come up with creative ideas such as using minisubmarines or using hostages as human shields or just outpacing them from far distances with confusing maneuvers.

I'll probably expand it with a new map, especially when I discarded the old one.

Green Army: None recognized them as a legitimate government, although there are some who sympathize with their cause, especially most of the Middle East. However, they do attract foreign volunteers to fight for them, but what comes next for them is unknown.

Council of Generals: The only government to have at least some degree of international recognition: from Egypt, Russia, China, and even Israel.

Thanks!
How much of an impact are the IS pirates having on the economies of Mediterranean countries, seeing as shipping and sea travel has become so dangerous TTL?

Factions

Green Army: From a feeble band of militia squabbling over the town of Bani Waleed, now an emerging goliath encompassing the entirety of Tripolitania. The Green Army has proved themselves to be a huge threat for the rivaling powers; echoing the ideals of the man they once toppled and the legacy that comes with it.

They wield the largest army in Libya, over 250,000 - 500,000 men, women, and children joined to fight for the unity of their home. They wield anything from that’s available; from the most sophisticated of rifles to the lowest arms they can bear.

But none of it could ever happen without the sole leadership of the army - the Ghost of Muammar. An enigmatic Tuareg coming out from nowhere, he stormed across the region and overwhelmed all of the bickering warlords in only 7-9 months; proving himself to be one of the most talented military minds in Libya, despite his backward origins.
What’s the relationship between the “Ghost” and the surviving Gaddafis like Saif (who might be running for the position of president of Libya OTL) or even Ayesha? If the Greens are proponents of Gaddafi’s ideology but are ruled by the Ghost does the movement use one of the old ruler’s kids as figureheads? Or does the Gaddafi family resent the Ghost for “usurping” their legacy? Or is their relationship something else entirely?

What’s the relationship between the “Ghost” and the surviving Gaddafis like Saif (who might be running for the position of president of Libya OTL) or even Ayesha? If the Greens are proponents of Gaddafi’s ideology but are ruled by the Ghost does the movement use one of the old ruler’s kids as figureheads? Or does the Gaddafi family resent the Ghost for “usurping” their legacy? Or is their relationship something else entirely?
There's no relationship between him and Saif because the latter died even before the Tuareg appeared into the scene; killed by one of Haftar's subordinates. No one even knows his motivations to lead the army that he builds from the ground up; he's literally a man that appeared out of nowhere and suddenly decides to help what's left of the Gaddafi's loyalist. But what I can assure you that his relationship with the Gaddafi family is malicious, all of the surviving members despise him for usurping the leadership for his own and not inviting them back into the fray.

But does his obscure background and motivations drive off his supporters and followers? Not really because at this point, he's as popular as Gaddafi... or even more.

>Qaddafids
I'd assume by the name alone that these guys get along well with the Green Army, tho maybe that's my ignorance about Lybian tribes talking.
Also, what about the Shura Councils? Are they allied to the Islamic State or are they a neutral Islamist faction? They look too big and too coastal to be irrelevant.

I'd assume by the name alone that these guys get along well with the Green Army, tho maybe that's my ignorance about Lybian tribes talking.
Well, it's Gaddafi's home tribe so I get what you mean. Nevertheless, the half of them are still nebulous on whether they should either join forces or be completely absorbed into the polity - especially when they still hold their home city of Bani Walid; demanding them to return it over. They also fear that joining them might end their identity as a whole, but that's another topic I'll discuss later.

Also, what about the Shura Councils? Are they allied to the Islamic State or are they a neutral Islamist faction? They look too big and too coastal to be irrelevant.
For now, they're allies of the Islamic States, but it's a matter of pragmatism rather than a mere ideological harmony. This is because they're threatened by both the LNA and the Mustafa Clique and they're outnumbered - their arms surplus doesn't really help when they have a meagre resource of men.