The VT-BAM project

dfpgazd-198bcc36-9886-495a-bb27-0fb85d9dc64e.gif

Was researching some stuff in Africa for colonialism, and I thought this was an interesting topic to touch on.
It's a gif for the French Conquest of Algeria from 1830-1857. Let me know what you guys think

dfpgazd-198bcc36-9886-495a-bb27-0fb85d9dc64e.gif

Was researching some stuff in Africa for colonialism, and I thought this was an interesting topic to touch on.
It's a gif for the French Conquest of Algeria from 1830-1857. Let me know what you guys think
Pretty nice - this could be made available as a series of Q-BAM patches as well.

After much referencing (and an acceptance that borders in Inner Mongolia in some cases are simply not well defined, here is China down to third-level administrative divisions completed by me. The interprovince administrative dispute between Inner Mongolia and Heilongjiang is reflected by the red used for international border disputes, as there is no established color for domestic border disputes as of yet.

Incidentally, I have noticed that in Hokkaido at least, the second-level borders are a weird mix of subprefectures and cities. However cities are actually below subprefectures, and are actually the same level as towns and villages in most prefectures. Whether we are considering subprefectures as second-level divisions, or skipping them and treating cities, towns, and villages as second-level, either way it should be consistent rather than a mix. Japan may have to be reevaluated as to whether it is in fact accurate or not.

Having recently started mapping with VT-BAM, I'm wondering if there's a discord server or something of the likes dedicated to VT-BAM where there's a collection of all the resources and patches and so on based on VT-BAM, as im lacking a rather absurd amount of stuff just for making a 1930 map of europe.

(Like not having pre-ww2 borders for finland for example)

After much referencing (and an acceptance that borders in Inner Mongolia in some cases are simply not well defined, here is China down to third-level administrative divisions completed by me. The interprovince administrative dispute between Inner Mongolia and Heilongjiang is reflected by the red used for international border disputes, as there is no established color for domestic border disputes as of yet.
Afaik subdivision disputes are colored orange

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1H2V2IDVodyvsLTFHNZEEFnp24lkPFAsj?usp=share_link

Updated the thingy, used iustinus's one from march 2 2022 and updated it with the new china from raazossaku. Also went back through everything to page 80, and added some not-included stuff, comoros, ingustenia, rwanda, and parana borders. Would've added apathe's borneo but the coastline was all fucked and i didn't feel like fixing/translating it atm, @MapleRepublic Should add this to your compilation if you can :>

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1H2V2IDVodyvsLTFHNZEEFnp24lkPFAsj?usp=share_link

Updated the thingy, used iustinus's one from march 2 2022 and updated it with the new china from raazossaku. Also went back through everything to page 80, and added some not-included stuff, comoros, ingustenia, rwanda, and parana borders. Would've added apathe's borneo but the coastline was all fucked and i didn't feel like fixing/translating it atm, @MapleRepublic Should add this to your compilation if you can :>
Thank you very much, it has been added, I appreciate your dedication :)

oh my god you are the greatest ever!

Hope this isn't the wrong place to ask! I'm trying to open one of the VT-BAM maps (the base one) in a art program (have tried PaintTool SAI and MS Paint, tempted to try Paint.net), but so far they haven't wanted to open it. I'd like to use it for some of my alternate histories just to illustrate new borders, etc.

Is there a way I can make them open it? Would shrinking the size of the PNG help or are there any programs y'all use that work with it?

Thanks in advance!

Hope this isn't the wrong place to ask! I'm trying to open one of the VT-BAM maps (the base one) in a art program (have tried PaintTool SAI and MS Paint, tempted to try Paint.net), but so far they haven't wanted to open it. I'd like to use it for some of my alternate histories just to illustrate new borders, etc.

Is there a way I can make them open it? Would shrinking the size of the PNG help or are there any programs y'all use that work with it?

Thanks in advance!
unless you have an epically good computer, the vt-bam basemap won't open by itself and will tend to crash as with any other 21k by 42k image, you should use the tiles provided by PersonMerson and you still might be able to stitch 4 together, if you're going to do the whole world your best bet is the m-bam or 8k-bam, but for some region you can use the tiles.

unless you have an epically good computer, the vt-bam basemap won't open by itself and will tend to crash as with any other 21k by 42k image, you should use the tiles provided by PersonMerson and you still might be able to stitch 4 together, if you're going to do the whole world your best bet is the m-bam or 8k-bam, but for some region you can use the tiles.
Good to know, will do so, thanks!

Felt it was time that brazil at least got all its state boundaries. Its a lil rough so if anyone were to make boundaries for deeper subdivisions you should probably re-make the state boundaries. I just got tired of lookin at it lol

Attachments

• NewBrazil.png
    428.1 KB · Views: 187
Can someone reproject this map into equirectangular so I can make a patch for France's généralités pre-Revolution? (I don't need the subdélégations, but anyone is free to do them if you want).