The Union Reborn - A surviving Soviet Union

The Union Reborn - the story of the Union of Soviet Sovereign States

By ElectricSheepNo54

Prologue

Crimea - 19th August 1991

The investigation report would eventually conclude bad weather caused the crash. The Tupolev Tu-154, flying from Sverdlosk, had overshot the runway and crashed into a field beyond. The strong military aircraft became a smouldering wreck. The crash took the lives of 15 people, including four major military men - Oleg Baklanov, Valeriy Boldin, Oleg Shenin and Valentin Varennikov. Premier Gorbachev inspected the wreckage at the airport with a mix of disbelief and surprise - the event came completely out of the blue. Later he would phone Yanayev to try and find out what the men were doing on the flight. Official services would be scheduled to remember the victims. But tomorrow's events would still go to plan. And the USSR would never be the same again.

The Kremlin, Moscow - 20th August 1991

On behalf of the Russian SFSR, Mikhail Gorbachev signed his name on the New Union Treaty alongside those on behalf of Ukraine, Byelorussia, Azerbaijan, Kirghizia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan. In the evening, word was sent to major news outlets around the world and the UN - soon, the Soviet Union as it was would be no more. In its place, the Union of Soviet Sovereign States would rise. The flag and the coat of arms would be the same, but things would be different. The Union was reborn...

I hope you will enjoy my new TL, examining a world where the New Union Treaty was signed. Hopefully, future updates will be longer. Remember to offer feedback!

Last edited:
Interesting! I will be watching this closely. I wonder if this is merely postponing the gradual collapse of the USSR or will be the turning point in that nation's history.

Ooooh cool idea haven't seen a TL on this site about that idea (though there's New Union on alt history wiki). Interested.

Thanks for the interest! This hasn't stopped, I just don't have a lot of time to write a TL at the moment (though I have done a fair share of planning).

Very interesting, I wonder how the USSR responds to the GWOT (if it even happens!)

Based on my plans so far, the GWOT still happens, but there are major differences.

very interesting concept. I have a few questions

What will be the status of the CPSU?

Which shape the political system in the Union will take?

How will the Soviet economy develop in TTL?

Ooooh cool idea haven't seen a TL on this site about that idea (though there's New Union on alt history wiki). Interested.

Yes, New Union was kind of my inspiration to do this TL

very interesting concept. I have a few questions

What will be the status of the CPSU?

Which shape the political system in the Union will take?

How will the Soviet economy develop in TTL?

The Communist Party will become another political party (yet one that is rather successful)

The political system of the Union will be not dissimilar to the American states, with the individual republics pretty much self-governing with an Upper House that decides on issues for the entire nation, such as foreign policy. This Upper House (the Supreme Soviet) is headed by a democratically-elected Premier.

I am not too sure about how the Soviet economy will develop, I'll have to think about that more. In my notes so far are parts of the first update, a timeline of events up until about 2000, as well as lists of the American, Soviet and British heads of state.

The Soviet Union never gets love on this board, so I'm totally subbed.

Given how the Soviet Union was already a military power that acts in a deplorable manner to secure their interests (and how the modern Russia is acting of late), we can't exactly blame the forum for being unenthusiastic about this. Plenty have shown interest, however.