The Union Forever: A TL

Hmmmm...

Why not in one of those flawed democracies in Latin America you mentioned in one of the last updates? It'd be nice to see more movement in the otherwise clichéd banana-republics!

What do ya'll think. Should I adopt one of these flags over the one I posted earlier? Also could somebody post the Japanese symbol for fist. Thanks.

Here it is in 4 different styles
http://www.tribalshapes.com/categories/kanji/kanji-fist.html

Here is "Iron fist" on a coffee mug
http://www.cafepress.com/+iron_fist_kanji_symbol_ceramic_travel_mug,387351774

And here are alternate symbols I guess...
http://www.japanese-symbols.org/japanese-symbol-for-fist

Seems Google Images agrees on the basic symbol in the first link. The last link has some "simpler" designs, but I don't know how correct they are.

Seems Google Images agrees on the basic symbol in the first link. The last link has some "simpler" designs, but I don't know how correct they are.

These are great. Thanks for the links.

Either one of these would be great to replace the Kanji on that flag. Truth be told, I was going to use that flag for a TL on a fascist Japan emerging after WW2, but I couldn't find a PoD.

Flag of the Turkish Republic

After tallying the votes on this thread and the flag thread, I present the flag of the Turkish Republic. I widened the stripes for ascetics.

Flag of the Turkish Republic.png

OTL People in TUF

Hey everyone, I know it’s been slow lately but I am working on several exciting ideas for future updates. While I am working on these though I thought it would be fun to explore the fate of some of the people from OTL in The Union Forever. The criteria for these individuals are that they must be born before February 12, 1863 (nine months after the POD). I will go a head and list a few individuals that I will discuss. Please post the names of individuals you are curious about and I will give a brief description of their life in the TL. Also if you want to submit a description of your own, please feel free to PM me. Cheers!

John D. Rockefeller (1839)
Andrew Carnegie (1835)
Samuel Clemens (1835)
Thomas Edison (1847)
Crazy Horse (1840)
Sitting Bull (1831)
Woodrow Wilson (1856)
William H. Taft (1857)
Grover Cleveland (1837)
Benjamin Harrison (1833)
James A Garfield (1831)
Rutherford B. Hayes (1822)

Profile: Paul von Hindenburg and Samuel Tilden
Theodore Roosevelt (1858)
J.P. Morgan (1837)
Alexander Graham Bell (1847)
Leonard Wood (1860)

Antonio Meucci (1808)
Giuseppe Verdi (1813)
Samuel Tilden (1814)
Giovanni Verga (1840)
Giovanni Giolitti (1842)

Paul von Hindenburg (1847)
Philippe Pétain (1856)
John J. Pershing (1860)

(Thanks for all the great feedback! Here are the first two. Cheers!)

The People of The Union Forever

Part 1

union.png

Paul von Hindenburg (1847-1909)

8634225_108196234181.jpg

Born in Posen, Prussia to aristocratic parents, Paul von Hindenburg entered the Prussian Army after graduating from the prestigious Wahlstatt military school. Serving as an infantry officer, Hindenburg would rise to the equivalent of major general by the start of the Great War. In Germany today, Hindenburg is remembered as a hero after his heroic stand against the French at the battle of Dusseldorf. During the evening of the first day of the battle, Hindenburg was mortally wounded by enemy shellfire. Refusing to abandon his command post, Hindenburg continued to command the Prussian forces until the arrival of British reinforcements the next day. Hindenburg succumbed to his wounds on April 13, 1909 at the age of 61.

Samuel Tilden (1814-1885)

SJTilden_of_NY.jpg

Born in the State of New York, Samuel Tilden rose to prominence in the Democratic Party in the decades before the Civil War. In 1868, Tilden switched allegiances to the Republican Party after becoming dispirited with the Democrats due to their conduct during the war and the corruption of New York City’s Democratic machine known as “Tammany Hall”. In 1877, Samuel Tilden was elected as New York’s attorney general under Republican Governor Thomas Hillhouse. Together, Hillhouse and Tilden led a successful reform movement which seriously weakened Tammy Hall’s power over city politics. Tilden was rumored to be a possible replacement for Vice President James Blaine for the 1880 Republican ticket.Tilden died at his house in Albany, NY in 1885.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the quick reply! In a world where the Republicans remain the progressive party a switch of allegiance is very fit for SJT.

(But I think you meant "Tilden died in 1885" in the last sentence ;))

This is awesome; keep up the good work! As an aside, what implications do you think the Kobushi Party's hold on Japan has for any future international "headaches" (or lack thereof) down the road? ISTR a reference in the epilogue about a Philippine Crisis in the '60s but that's about it for the remainder of the century, and nothing about the post-2000 time-frame.

This is awesome; keep up the good work! As an aside, what implications do you think the Kobushi Party's hold on Japan has for any future international "headaches" (or lack thereof) down the road? ISTR a reference in the epilogue about a Philippine Crisis in the '60s but that's about it for the remainder of the century, and nothing about the post-2000 time-frame.

Without giving anything away, the Kobushi Party will be a major headache for much of the international community. The Philippine Crisis will be discussed when we get to the 60s, but needless to say Japan will start appearing more and more in future updates.

Profile: Grover Cleveland, Giovanni Giolitti, and John Pershing

union.png
Grover Cleveland (1837-1911)

220px-StephenGroverCleveland.png

Born in New Jersey but raised in the State of New York, Grover Cleveland was admitted to the New York bar in 1859. Although never serving in uniform during the Civil War, Cleveland became a popular local Democratic politician and was elected as District Attorney of Erie Country, New York in 1887. In 1892 Grover Cleveland was elected as Lieutenant Governor of the State of New York. In 1899, President George A. Custer appointed Cleveland to the U.S. Supreme Court, where he would serve until his death in 1911.

Giovanni Giolitti (1842-1926)

220px-Giolitti2.jpg

Born in the Piedmont region of Italy, Giovanni Giolitti was a successful liberal member of parliament holding a number of ministerial positions before the Great War. After the Kingdom of Italy capitulated to the French demands in the Treaty of Milan, Giolitti broke with the government and returned to Turin becoming a leader in the underground in occupied northern Italy. Although not a military man himself, by the time Italian forces under General Brancaleone Lucchesi liberated Turin, Giolitti had built a partisan army of nearly 9,000 fighters throughout the Piedmont. Impressed by his wartime prowess and political experience Giolitti was elected as the first Vice President of the Italian Republic in 1911. Giolitti would succeed Brancaleone to the Italian presidency, but would serve only one term due to poor health. Giolitti died in Rome in 1926 at the age of 83.

John J. Pershing (1860-1949)

Born in Missouri to parents of modest means, John J. Pershing would follow in the footsteps of his father becoming a businessman after graduating from the University of Missouri in 1884. Over the years, Pershing joined the Republican Party and became active in Missouri state politics serving as a state senator and later governor from 1909-1917. Following his time as governor, Pershing would briefly serve as Postmaster General in the waning days of the Doner administration. Despite his old age, Pershing reemerged from retirement after being appointed as the first chairman of the board of directors of the National Broadcasting Service (NBS) by President Kirkman in 1943 due to his reputation for efficiency and personal integrity. Pershing would serve as NBS chairman until his death in 1949.

Pershing.png

Last edited:
Profile: Woodrow Wilson

union.png
Woodrow Wilson (1856-1922)
220px-Woodrow_Wilson-H%26E.jpg

Born in Stauton, Virginia, Woodrow Wilson’s family moved to Augusta, Georgia in the years before the Civil War. In 1879, Wilson graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in history and afterwards obtained a doctorate in political science from Harvard. Following Harvard, Wilson served on the faculty of a number of universities and eventually became a dean at his alma mater, the University of Georgia. In 1911, Georgia governor Marshall Fogel nominated Wilson to be the first dean of the new Georgia State College in Atlanta which was designed to accommodate the returning veterans from the Great War. Over the course of his ten years as dean, Wilson laid the foundation for Georgia State College, which was elevated to university status in 1937, that would by the end of the century make it one of the most prestigious public universities in the South. Georgia State University’s mascot Woodrow the Woodchuck is named in honor of Wilson. Woodrow Wilson died in 1922 of a stroke at his Atlanta home.

Last edited:
It's good to see that Wilson turned out pretty well ITTL, IMHO he had absolutely no business being the President...hell, we share the same state and I don't like him :p