The Union Forever: A TL

Sorry for the double post, forgot to add the map I'm using

View attachment 157185

I can pretty much tell the majority of it, just need to know what posessions if any the US has in the Pacific, and which territories have been made states... I tried going back through the timeline but it's kind of a hassle with the slow internet I've got at the moment.

And do you want it to be just the US or keep it on the global map?

theunionforeverfinalmap2.png

Sorry for the double post, forgot to add the map I'm using

View attachment 157185

I can pretty much tell the majority of it, just need to know what posessions if any the US has in the Pacific, and which territories have been made states... I tried going back through the timeline but it's kind of a hassle with the slow internet I've got at the moment.

And do you want it to be just the US or keep it on the global map?

Thanks! Just a map of the United States for now. I will PM the info to you shortly.

If you break it down to me in text I'll do it

Trying to hone my map making skills in Eurofed's USAO timeline, and while I'm new at it I've had few complaints there that I wasn't able to easily fix.

Just let me know what changes if any have been made to OTL capitals and state borders, and which overseas territories the US has specifically.

Also would you rather me use a Qbam or UCS map?

Just sent you the info on the state capitals. I can't wait to see the finished product. thanks for your help.

capitals.png
Here it is on the world map... just ignore everything that isn't US, not sure how up to date they are.

If anyone can make corrections, please do. Still new at this, but trying to get better and need critiquing.

capitals.png

unionforeverstatecaps.png
And here it is on a snippet map if you want just this, but it doesn't include pacific posessions. This map differs a little from the other one height-wise. Once I realized that I switched over to the other one.

unionforeverstatecaps.png

View attachment 157482
And here it is on a snippet map if you want just this, but it doesn't include pacific posessions. This map differs a little from the other one height-wise. Once I realized that I switched over to the other one.

Hm. Looking at another map it seems a lot of the pacific islands in that one are pretty far off.

Thanks for your help. I was looking for something more like the map below but with the TL's state and territories boundaries and capitals.

states_capitals.gif

1941-1943
(Hey everybody, sorry for the quality of this update. It is a bit rushed as my internet has been going in and out. Let me know what ya'll think. cheers!)
1941-1943

Domestic Developments

Alaska joins the Union

attachment.php

Flag of the State of Alaska​

On April, 21 1942, Alaska became the 53rd state to join the Union. During the official statehood ceremony at the newly constructed statehouse in Sedgewick[1], President Kirkman remarked that Alaska’s new star on the flag was a “splendid addition to the American constellation.”

Beginning of the Second Wave of the Civil Right Movement

Historians today usually trace the beginning of what is known as the Second Wave of the Civil Rights Movement to October 18, 1943 when a group of white and black politicians and businessmen gathered at the historic Atlanta Baptist Church. There they drafted the Atlanta Declaration which called for the phasing out of segregation in the American South. While cheered by many people and politicians outside the South, and especially in the Caribbean states, the Atlanta Declaration caused considerable consternation in many cities and towns of the Deep South.

The Spread of Television

150zenith.jpg

The early 1940s saw the spread of television throughout the United States. American interest in television, often abbreviated as TV, increased exponential as the sale of TV sets as well as the programming available climbed dramatically throughout the decade. In these early years, American television would be dominated by a small number of networks known as the “Big Four”. These included the American Television Network (ATN), Rockefeller Broadcasting Company (RBC), and the Columbia Broadcasting Company (CBC). The fourth member of this quartet, the National Broadcasting Service (NBS), was created in 1943 after Congress established a nonprofit and nonpartisan board of directors to provide “wholesome and educational programming for the American public.” As such, NBS devoted its airtime to world and national news, civic education, and American history.

Foreign Developments

Rise of the Kobushi Party

attachment.php

Flag of the Kobushi Party​

Following Japan’s withdrawal form the Great War per the stipulations of the Treaty of Honolulu, the Empire of Japan entered a prolonged period of self imposed isolation and introspection. The much despised treaty had ended Japanese influence in Manchuria. With only Formosa and Korea remaining, the Japanese people were deeply resentful of the nation’s decline in great power status. Utilizing this public disenchantment, Katsuo Akiyama , a former Japanese army officer and veteran of the Great War founded the rightwing Kobushi Party in 1929. Meaning “fist” in Japanese, Akiyama’s Kobushi Party sought to return the Japanese Empire to its former glory and end the parliamentarian bickering which he claimed had paralyzed the government since the Great War. In 1941, Akiyama became Prime Minister after a Kobushi led coalition of rightwing parties achieved control of the Japanese Diet. Within three years, Akiyama and his “Fisters” had solidified near total control over the government absorbing or banning all other political parties. Although he had reservations about the Kobushi Party and Akiyama in particular, Emperor Kazuo went along with their plans for Japan which called for a strong central imperial government, dramatically increased industrialization, greater emphasis on education, and an expansion of the empire’s military.

Norway gains Svalbard Islands

On May 27, 1941 at the request of the Emperor, the Russian Duma agreed to officially cede control of the Svalbard archipelago to the newly independent Kingdom of Norway. Although the majority of the islands few thousand inhabitants had always been Norwegian, the fact that the Russians were willing to relinquish control over these islands was viewed by many in foreign policy circles as an attempt by Russia to curry favor with Norway before Sweden and the Federal Kingdom of Germany could cement their own alliances.

Collapse of the Ottoman Empire

After nearly six years of fighting, the Ottoman Empire came to an end on April 5, 1943 when a coup led by republican army officers deposed Sultan Murad VI. Murad was forced into exile in Albania ending 644 years of monarchial rule in Turkey. Led by Erol Adem Macar, the newly empowered army officers proclaimed the establishment of the Turkish Republic on April 10. With Macar as the first president of the republic, this new secular Turkish state relinquished control of the former empire’s provinces which lacked a Turkish majority. In Syria, Arab revolutionary General Fareed Bakri Kattan entered Damascus in triumph on the 18th of April and declared the creation of the Republic of Greater Syria comprising all of Syria, the Levant, and a swath of territory east of the Jordan River.

attachment.php

Flag of the Republic of Greater Syria​

[1] OTL Anchorage

Last edited:
Back then, Syria referred to the entire Levant. The term Levant came into use after partition. So "Greater Syria" would include Iraq back then. Just Syria will do. :) Rarely does Syria not go partitioned in ATLs.

Back then, Syria referred to the entire Levant. The term Levant came into use after partition. So "Greater Syria" would include Iraq back then. Just Syria will do. :) Rarely does Syria not go partitioned in ATLs.

What do ya'll think? Does the country need a name change?

The Kobushi Party is an interesting idea. However, I think in the Epilogue, it said that it still holds power in Japan, which means there's not likely to be a second Great War. Although, there might be a minor war in the future. Also, this is just a personal suggestion, but I would have gone with a different flag. I would have used an inverted Rising Sun flag from OTL WW2 with the Japanese Kanji symbol for Strength in the center of the blazing sun. This one to be precise:

Proposed Kobushi flag.png

Do you have any explanations regarding the symbolism of the 4 Turkish Republic? Aesthetically, I'm drawn to number 2 by a long shot. Not sure why.

But without knowing the precise symbolism of the 2 lines, I can't say for sure. I don't think I like 3 or 4.

Do you have any explanations regarding the symbolism of the 4 Turkish Republic? Aesthetically, I'm drawn to number 2 by a long shot. Not sure why.

But without knowing the precise symbolism of the 2 lines, I can't say for sure. I don't think I like 3 or 4.

I didn't have any symbolism in particular in mind. The two stripes could represent the People and Land of the new Republic.

The Kobushi Party is an interesting idea. However, I think in the Epilogue, it said that it still holds power in Japan, which means there's not likely to be a second Great War. Although, there might be a minor war in the future. Also, this is just a personal suggestion, but I would have gone with a different flag. I would have used an inverted Rising Sun flag from OTL WW2 with the Japanese Kanji symbol for Strength in the center of the blazing sun. This one to be precise:

On second thought, I would also propose the following flag as well. And I like option 1 for the Ottoman flag.

What do ya'll think. Should I adopt one of these flags over the one I posted earlier? Also could somebody post the Japanese symbol for fist. Thanks.