The Union Forever: A TL

I updated the Timeline's map with MacGregor's approval. If anyone has any questions, comments, or criticisms, lay them on me.

The Union Forever.PNG

The Union Forever.PNG

Last edited:
Good map, but I hate to quibble single pixels but St. Pierre and Miquelon Islands were granted to the US not Canada. Note the little island to the south of NewFoundland.
Ah, good eye. I figured that since they were so close to Canada, they would have been taken by the Canadians and annexed into Canada. Fixed as of now.

I would think the Germans would have taken Alsace-Lorraine from the French, but other than that great job!
I agree, but MacGregor had them remain French.
France was forced to allow Corsica and Alsace-Loraine to hold referendums on whether to remain part of France, become independent, or join Italy and Germany respectively. In the end, both provinces remained part of the republic.

I'm curious as to the Canadian political situation at this time; why is it there are only two prairie provinces in lieu of three (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba)?

I'm curious as to the Canadian political situation at this time; why is it there are only two prairie provinces in lieu of three (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba)?
Mostly just for the sake of having something different. People mess around with Canadian Provincial Borders even less than they do with American ones.

question for the thread. Based off current U.S. possessions. How many states should the U.S. have in 2011?

*Spoilers*

Also Santo Domingo will achieve statehood next update. Should Puerto Rico be included. The State of Santo Domingo and Puerto Rico?

*Spoilers*

I updated the Timeline's map with MacGregor's approval. If anyone has any questions, comments, or criticisms, lay them on me.

View attachment 140762

question for the thread. Based off current U.S. possessions. How many states should the U.S. have in 2011?

*Spoilers*

Also Santo Domingo will achieve statehood next update. Should Puerto Rico be included. The State of Santo Domingo and Puerto Rico?

*Spoilers*

IMHO, we might as well just get rid of Haiti, too. Looks better on the map...Speaking of that, btw, Manitoba and Alberta{or whatever it's called ITTL} are frickin' massive! {I had a similar idea once, but that TL idea probably won't ever see the light of day, I think. :(}

IMHO, we might as well just get rid of Haiti, too. Looks better on the map...Speaking of that, btw, Manitoba and Alberta{or whatever it's called ITTL} are frickin' massive! {I had a similar idea once, but that TL idea probably won't ever see the light of day, I think. :(}

That's hardly any reason to get rid of Haiti, especially since the US won't want to annex it.

Yet their populations won't be much bigger than that of New Mexico.

alright then my guess is in 2011 there will be 57 States.

50-Santo Domingo
51-French Guyana
52-Alaska
53-Hawaii (Assuming America has it)
54-Conglomorate of French carribean islands
55-Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands (Virgin islands may be excluded if america doesn't have them)
56-Panama (Canal Zone)
57 Nicaruga (Canal Zone)

Last edited:
alright then my guess is in 2011 there will be 57 States.

50-Santo Domingo
51-French Guyana
52-Alaska
53-Hawaii (Assuming America has it)
54-Conglomorate of French carribean islands
55-Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands (Virgin islands may be excluded if america doesn't have them)
56-Panama (Canal Zone)
57 Nicaruga (Canal Zone)

Interesting. I don't think that Guyana would be a state that quick as it is very sparsely populated. The U.S. does not have the Virgin Islands ITTL. The canal zones are interesting, however the only way I see them becoming a state would be if somehow the U.S. acquires Costa Rica to connect them, which at this point would be a bit of a stretch. As far as America's Pacific territories go the U.S. has practically all of Micronesia and Polynesia which i see becoming two separate states. Also it already had the Samoan Islands. Should they get merged with the rest of Polynesia or stay a separate entity?

The United States: 1911-1913
The Post War United States

1911-1913

us-flag-640.gif

50 Star Flag of the United States after the admission of Santo Domingo​

Demobilization and “An Empire of Islands”

American soldiers returning from the Great War received a hero’s welcome with large tickertape parades in nearly all of the nation’s major cities. With the war over and won, the United States underwent a massive demobilization of its army and navy. However, Secretary of War Roosevelt and Secretary of the Navy Mahan did ensure that the lessons learned during the Great War would not be lost becoming the basis for American military doctrine for decades to come.

The Treaty of Brussels confirmed American ownership over the territories it conquered from France in the Pacific and Caribbean during the war in what Secretary of State McKinley called “An empire of islands”. Before leaving office President Lincoln and Secretary of State McKinley would work tirelessly to organize these new territories and start them on the eventually path to statehood. The notion that these oversea territories would eventually become full fledged states did not sit well with most Democrats and some of the fringe imperialistic elements of the Republican Party. By 1913 however, America’s oversea possessions were divided into territories and commonwealths including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Samoa, Guadeloupe and Martinique, Polynesia, Micronesia, Guiana, and the Canal Zones.

Santo Domingo Joins the Union

Having been under American control since 1869, Santo Domingo achieved statehood on November 19, 1912 becoming the nation’s 50th State. Today, it is widely acknowledged that statehood for Santo Domingo was delayed for decades due to concern over the state’s Spanish language and high percentage of blacks and mulattos. The Great War however, saw Dominican units composed of all races perform admirably in the Caribbean and European theaters earning the island a reputation for patriotic and spirited soldiers. As with the neighboring state of Cuba, English became the language of government and was taught alongside Spanish in public schools.

Civil Rights and the 15th Amendment

Like the Spanish-American War but more so, the Great War was a proving ground for many ethnic minorities in America who distinguished themselves in both segregated and integrated units in nearly every theater of the war. Furthermore, while enormous numbers of men were mobilized for the war, millions of American women entered the workforce. In the wake of these achievements the 15th Amendment to the Constitution, which had been proposed before the war, was finally ratified on November 15, 1913 stating…
“Section 1: The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex, race, religion, or color.
Section 2: Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.”

Although it did not end ethnic segregation and would not be fully enforced in some parts of the south for decades, the passage of the 15th Amendment is seen as a successful conclusion to the women’s suffrage movement and what is known as the first wave of the civil rights movement. At a celebration to mark the ratification of the amendment in Atlanta, Georgia civil rights icons Rev. Samuel G. McGuffey and George W. Harley led a crowd of over 150,000 black and white men and women in singing the “Battle Cry of Freedom” which Congress had been officially recognized as the nation’s national anthem two weeks before.

1912 Presidential Elections

theodore_roosevelt.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt
Republican from New York
23rd President of the United States​

Despite considerable pressure from certain areas of the Republican Party and the public President Robert T. Lincoln stuck with his pledge to not seek a fourth term. The contest for the Republican nomination soon became a contest between Vice President Andrew Johnson Jr. and Secretary of War Theodore Roosevelt after Secretary of State William McKinley refused to run on grounds of old age and poor health. Johnson was a moderate Republican who largely favored keeping the status quo. Roosevelt however, was an ardent supporter of more controversial issues such as African American civil rights and the democratic integration of America’s newly won overseas territories.[1] At the Republican convention held in Kansas City, Missouri Roosevelt eventually won the nomination declaring in a rousing acceptance speech that “This party, the party of Lincoln, will always stand for free trade, free men, and a free world!” For Vice President, the moderate Jacob R. Alexander of Oregon was selected to balance the ticket. The Democrats selected Judson Harmon of Ohio and Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama to head their ticket on largely the same protectionist, isolationist, and segregationist platform the Democratic Party had used for decades. In the end Roosevelt beat Harmon by a wide margin and was inaugurated as the 23rd President of the United States.

The Legacy of Robert Todd Lincoln

After leaving office in 1913, President Robert T. Lincoln returned home to Springfield, Illinois with his family. Following in his father’s footsteps RTL would further distinguish himself as an author by writing a bestselling memoir of his life as well as a two volume history of the Great War. In retirement, Lincoln lent his enormous prestige to several causes including civil rights and veteran affairs until his death on February 12, 1926 at the age of 81. In his twelve years as President, Lincoln had taken an America reeling from the Great Depression of 1897 and transformed the nation into a major world power while at the same time making significant advances in civil rights, infrastructure, and economic reform. As such, RTL is considered today by many historians to be one of the best U.S. Presidents in history surpassed only by his father and George Washington.

Lincoln.TIME.web.jpg

[1] Please keep in mind that the TL’s Theodore Roosevelt bears little resemblance to OTL’s especially concerning race relations.

Last edited:
Both Lincolns lived happier lives here. That's just swell. :)

Well, fifty pages to match fifty states. Nice work, MacGregor! It's been an awesome ride.