The Union Forever: A TL

Nepal might fall into Russia's alliance system just to protect itself from the technocrats. India can probably survive on her own, I doubt the Iranian alliance system or the Community of South Asian States wants them.

Nepal might fall into Russia's alliance system just to protect itself from the technocrats. India can probably survive on her own, I doubt the Iranian alliance system or the Community of South Asian States wants them.

Probably. Nepal hasn't any other option than ally with IEF. Allying with India might be bit problematic due Asian-Pacific War. And from same reason CSAS and Persia and its vassals/allies don't want India as ally. And India probably can defend against technates without help if it has.

Here's a fixed map:

Alliance map 1986-1.png

Is there any opposition within the newer Technocratic nations?

There's bound to be. The Technocratic ideology would be considered quite radical in some traditionalist circles, especially in regions more dominated by reactionary or conservative elements, since the idea of scientific intellectuals who may be considered unqualified for government being chosen to lead nations would provoke fears about governmental or even societal collapse.

Is China trying to regain its lost territories, or did they drop that? It would seem pretty important to China going by OTL, but maybe the Technate is less nationalistic and more opportunistic.

I will cover more of this later, but the short answer is yes. As China grows more powerful an increasing number of Technocrats are wanting to reclaim old territories, especially Manchuria from the IEF.

Nice map, but being color blind, I can't differentiate between the British Commonwealth & the Turin Pact. Have you considered crosshatching for the 8-10 % if us that are colorblind?

Thanks.

Nice map, but being color blind, I can't differentiate between the British Commonwealth & the Turin Pact. Have you considered crosshatching for the 8-10 % if us that are colorblind?

Thanks.

Or maybe the shades can be differentiated. The Turin Pact can be a lighter colour than the Commonwealth.

Thanks.

Turin Pact is France, Italy, Algeria, and Libya, to include Corsica and Sardinia. The rest are Commonwealth.

Thanks.

Just threw this together real quickly. It's not fancy, but it should illustrate most of the stuff. Hope it works!

The Union Forever Alliance Crosshatch.png

1986: Foreign and Domestic Developments

Foreign and Domestic Developments

attachment.php

Flag of the State of Papua​

On February 19, the territory of Papua was admitted as the Federation of Australia’s seventh state. Extensively damaged during the Asia-Pacific War, Papua voted for statehood in part to speedup reconstruction. Gus Watson was sworn in as premier a few weeks later at a ceremony in the capital city of Fairburn.

In April, the comic strip Martin and Hugo by cartoonist Will Bartman appeared for the first time in the Atlanta newspaper Daily Intelligencer. Centered around the escapades of the young boy Martin and his friend Hugo the lion, Martin and Hugo would over the next few years gain a dedicated following in America and in several countries overseas.

1986 proved to be a watershed year for politics in Europe with elections in Germany, France, and Italy. In Germany, the German Democratic Union (DDU) gained control of the government for the first time, ending eight years of Conservative rule albeit with a very slim majority. The DDU leader Hermann Lasker became the first Jewish chancellor of Germany despite some very raucous anti-Semitic protests. Lasker promised to end the military adventurism that defined his predecessor Ulrich von Ritter’s time in office and concentrate on improving social programs. In France, Marcellin Linville and his National Republicans were returned to power after helping secure a Republican victory in Spain. In Italy however, the ruling Christian Labor government was toppled by the center-right Resurgence Party after an election related scandal forced President Crescenzo Veronesi to resign.

During the summer, a number of groups stepped up acts of civil disobedience in the Imperial Eurasian Federation’s Muslim majority territories to protest the heavy handed Russo-centric policies of Prime Minister Bronislav Mihaylov. The most prominent of these groups was the Turkic People’s Vanguard chaired by the charismatic lawyer Ismail Fitrat from Bukhara. When local authorities refused to reign in the protestors, Imperial troops were sent in to restore order. By the end of the year, hundreds of dissidents had been jailed including Ismail Fitrat and a number of cities spent months under martial law. Despite the situation eventually returning to normal the episode further widened the growing divisions between the IEF’s Russian and non-Russian subjects.

On September 13, Nigeria became a fully independent country inside the British Commonwealth. Unsurprisingly, Joseph Ukiwe the elderly prime minister who had led Nigeria since gaining dominion status in 1973, was retained by voters to head the government. Despite the boon of a vibrant oil industry, tensions between the Muslim north, Christian south, and separatist Biafra region continued to threaten the stability of the country. To the east, Chad was granted Dominion status but a disagreement over power sharing exacerbated a long simmering revolt along the north bank of the Ubangi River. Unwilling to deploy additional troops, British Prime Minister Bates-Morgan left it to the Chadian government to subdue the south with unimpressive results.

In December, the alternate history novel The Butterfly Emperor by Mexican author Jesus Barbosa Conejo was released. Set during the late 1800s in a world where Mexico is an expansionist empire, the novel explored several themes regarding imperialism, race relations, organized religion, and the notion of societal progress. The novel quickly became an international bestseller and sparked a number of squeals. It was later adapted into Spanish and English language films in 1988 and 1995 respectively.

attachment.php

Map from The Butterfly Emperor circa 1870​

Last edited:
Good update :)

Someone needs to make a timeline based on the butterfly emperor :p

Will Germany ever give independence to Cameroon?

Last edited:
In April, the comic strip Martin and Hugo by cartoonist Will Bartman appeared for the first time in the Atlanta newspaper Daily Intelligencer. Centered around the escapades of the young boy Martin and his friend Hugo the lion, Martin and Hugo would over the next few years gain a dedicated following in America and in several countries overseas.

You do care about your world! It is now officially a utopia! Well, except for Russia. And Italy. Any party named the Resurgence Party cannot be good news. Do I sense a nostalgic attempt to return to the Roman Empire?

On February 19, the territory of Papua was admitted as the Federation of Australia’s seventh state. Extensively damaged during the Asia-Pacific War, Papua voted for statehood in part to speedup reconstruction. Gus Watson was sworn in as premier a few weeks later at a ceremony in the capital city of Fairburn.
Gonna be bad for the environment but probably good for the people.
Awesome!

During the summer, a number of groups stepped up acts of civil disobedience in the Imperial Eurasian Federation’s Muslim majority territories to protest the heavy handed Russo-centric policies of Prime Minister Bronislav Mihaylov. The most prominent of these groups was the Turkic People’s Vanguard chaired by the charismatic lawyer Ismail Fitrat from Bukhara. When local authorities refused to reign in the protestors, Imperial troops were sent in to restore order. By the end of the year, hundreds of dissidents had been jailed including Ismail Fitrat and a number of cities spent months under martial law. Despite the situation eventually returning to normal the episode further widened the growing divisions between the IEF’s Russian and non-Russian subjects.
I smell trouble in the future
In December, the alternate history novel The Butterfly Emperor by Mexican author Jesus Barbosa Conejo was released. Set during the late 1800s in a world where Mexico is an expansionist empire, the novel explored several themes regarding imperialism, race relations, organized religion, and the notion of societal progress. The novel quickly became an international bestseller and sparked a number of squeals. It was later adapted into Spanish and English language films in 1988 and 1995 respectively.
Sounds interesting. Could be a nice spin-off.

I'm glad that Calvin and Hobbs still exists ITTL

I don't care about no WWII, I don't care about no Hitler or Stalin, I don't care about slavery ending earlier, without a Calvin and Hobbes analogue this TL wasn't complete! Congratulations, MacGregor!