The Union Forever: A TL

Good to know, lets hope some cities choose to opt out.
Heh, your mileage may vary.
Hey everyone, over the next week or so I will be in the process of leaving Afghanistan and heading back to the States. As such updates may be spotty over the next week or two. Questions and suggestions are always welcome and I will respond to them when I can. Cheers.

Glad to hear you will be stateside again soon.

Safe trip home Mac.

Congratulations on finishing your tour. I hope you haven't had it too rough out there (judging from how often you managed to update, I'd say you haven't, but then again I know very little about post-WWI military life).

Have a good trip home.

Have a safe trip state-side!

Woot! :) Good luck, safe trip!

Safe trip home old chap :)

Take care, now.

Stay Safe now.

Back home safe and sound. Thanks for the warm wishes. Now, here's an update. Cheers!

Foreign Developments

attachment.php

Flag of the Kingdom of Afghanistan​

On March 22, Hafizullah Khan the Emir of Afghanistan made a formal visit to Peshawar in the newly acquired territory from former British India. At Peshawar, historically the winter capital for the Durrani Empire, Hafizullah Khan elevated himself to shah or king. A few days later Hafizullah Khan traveled east and ceremonially tossed a clump of dirt into the Indus River cementing the new eastern border of his kingdom.

In April, with the United Kingdom having withdrawn its troops by the end of the previous year, the Dominion of India held its first open elections. As expected the pro-independence groups gained a majority in the new Indian parliament. Their first order of business upon taking office was to formally dissolve their ties to the crown and proclaim the establishment of the Indian Republic. In the following months, British humanitarian aid began to pour in helping to alleviate the worst of the famine. However many other issues continued to plague the new nation, and the weak coalition government under Premier Mundakkal Mirdha struggled to keep the country afloat.

On July 14, what became known as the Bastille Day bombings rocked Algiers killing 19 people. A separatist organization known as the Algerian Independence Front took credit for the attack. While French authorities responded quickly and apprehended several members in the following weeks many in Paris began to worry about whether Algeria would head the way of India.

The 1959 World’s Fair is hosted in Amsterdam.

In October, German scientists Martin Probts and Jurgen Durr announced the discovery of the double helix structure of Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), the molecule that encodes the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all known living organisms.
images

Double Helix structure of DNA​

Last edited:
Glad to see you're home safe, Mac. I believe this is the time for the men to cheer and the boys to shout and for all to feel gay (in the sense of "happy")?

Also glad to see that the Indian debacle is over, and interested about the possibilities for Algeria. Especially seeing as how the French situation there IOTL was extremely similar to what the British underwent in India ITTL.

State Profile: Massachusetts
Name: Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Capital and Largest City: Boston.
Admission into the Union: February 6th, 1788 (6th).
Nicknames: The Bay State, The Old Colony State, The Cod State.
State Motto: By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
State Song: All Hail Massachusetts.
State Birds: Black Capped Chickadee, Wild Turkey.
State Flower: Mayflower.
State Tree: American Elm.

Professial Sports Teams:

Baseball: Boston Minutemen.
Football: New England Red Claws.
Rugby: Boston Pilgrims (originally Boston Minutemen but the name was changed to avoid confusion).
Handball: Cambridge Chancellors.
Lacrosse: Lexington Legion.

Post Civil War History:

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, though untouched by the war, was still effected by it. A staunch abolitionist state they supported civil rights for Africans-Americans afterwards. Massachusetts is the fifth largest economy in the country.

Notable Massachuseans:
-Pilgrims.
-John Adams (1st Vice President and 2nd President).
-John Quincy Adams (8th Secretary of State and 6th President).
-Senator Robert Gould Shaw.
-Vernon M. Kirkman (29th President).
-Wesley Schwimmer famed documentarian.

Last edited:
TUF is back?

tumblr_m9sqah3XWN1r8dy8go1_500.gif

My sentiments exactly. :p

I caught up with this timeline during your break writing this, and I read the new update, and I'm glad to be all caught up. :D

Excellent stuff to say the least. :) I may have some questions later, none at the top of my head. In the meantime, I do like your style of writing and the creative butterflies. :cool:

Name: Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Capital and Largest City: Boston.
Admission into the Union: February 6th, 1788 (6th).
Nicknames: The Bay State, The Old Colony State, The Cod State.
State Motto: By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
State Song: All Hail Massachusetts.
State Birds: Black Capped Chickadee, Wild Turkey.
State Flower: Mayflower.
State Tree: American Elm.

Professial Sports Teams:

Baseball: Boston Minutemen.
Football: New England Red Claws.
Rugby: Boston Pilgrims (originally Boston Minutemen but the name was changed to avoid confusion).
Handball: Cambridge Chancellors.
Lacrosse: Lexington Legion.

Post Civil War History:

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, though untouched by the war, was still effected by it. A staunch abolitionist state they supported civil rights for Africans-Americans afterwards. Massachusetts is the fifth largest economy in the country.

Notable Massachuseans:
-Pilgrims.
-John Adams (1st Vice President and 2nd President).
-John Quincy Adams (8th Secretary of State and 6th President).
-Senator Robert Gould Shaw.
-Vernon M. Kirkman (29th President).
-Wesley Schwimmer famed documentarian.

Good going rick007! It looks great, but I think the song needs to be changed. Good call on the Boston Pilgrims, I totally forgot we already had the Minutemen as the baseball team. I really like making Robert Gould Shaw a Senator, I will have to include him in a People of TUF. Also do we have a flag for Massachusetts ITTL? Cheers!

Last edited:
My sentiments exactly. :p

I caught up with this timeline during your break writing this, and I read the new update, and I'm glad to be all caught up. :D

Excellent stuff to say the least. :) I may have some questions later, none at the top of my head. In the meantime, I do like your style of writing and the creative butterflies. :cool:

Thanks Zoideberg12. Let me know if you remember any of your questions.

More possible map changes

Hey everyone,

Working on releasing a world map for 1960. One thing that strikes me as needing to be changed is the border for the southern Sudan/Upper Nile British territory which looks far to much like OTL South Sudan. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to change it. Remember that this area has been under British control for awhile unlike northern Sudan which was a French colony until after the Great War. Cheers!

Southern Sudan.png

Hey everyone,

Working on releasing a world map for 1960. One thing that strikes me as needing to be changed is the border for the southern Sudan/Upper Nile British territory which looks far to much like OTL South Sudan. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to change it. Remember that this area has been under British control for awhile unlike northern Sudan which was a French colony until after the Great War. Cheers!

A sidenote: Please don't enlarge the QBAM or similar non-antialiased maps, or if you're going to do it, enlarge it by even hundreds of percent. That looks absolutely hideous.

As for the border itself, I think you can pretty much draw it in any way you want, as colonial powers weren't exactly the most discriminate about which ethnic groups ended up where. Just mind the Nile itself, and where you put the border along it, since that would be the main point of contention between the powers in the region.

Hey everyone,

Not sure how you should change it exactly. I'll have to look back at some past maps and then give you an answer.