The Union Forever: A TL

Well now, that's a killer clown I never would have expected.

Anyway, VERY interesting choice for the couple to bring forward the interracial marriage suit to the Supreme Court.

Are there any Canadian or Mexican teams in these sports leagues?

As of 1958 no Canadian or Mexican teams have been mentioned for the Professional Baseball League or National Rugby Association. However, we have yet to make the rosters for either the American Football Association or National Lacrosse Federation. So there could be foreign teams in them. What do y'all think?

As of 1958 no Canadian or Mexican teams have been mentioned for the Professional Baseball League or National Rugby Association. However, we have yet to make the rosters for either the American Football Association or National Lacrosse Federation. So there could be foreign teams in them. What do y'all think?

Lacrosse is one of Canada's national sports OTL, so I see Canada getting involved fairly easily. Unless we already had a league and didn't feel like joing the new American one.

Lacrosse is one of Canada's national sports OTL, so I see Canada getting involved fairly easily. Unless we already had a league and didn't feel like joing the new American one.

Well I would be open to suggestions if people wanted to start submitting potential lacrosse team names.

Well I would be open to suggestions if people wanted to start submitting potential lacrosse team names.
I'm not sure how different from OTL you want, but here's some offers:
Montreal Loons (loons are co
Toronto Oaks (Oak Ridges morraine is near Toronto)
Hamilton Steels (or something steel related, unless you want tigers those are popular too for some reason)
Ottawa Parliamentarians
Quebec Castors
Halifax Celtics
Winnipeg Blizzards

Those good?

Hamilton Steels (or something steel related, unless you want tigers those are popular too for some reason)
Ottawa Parliamentarians
Quebec Castors
Halifax Celtics
Winnipeg Blizzards

Those good?

While I'm certainly not the one who gets to decide this, I personally like the Loons, Oaks, Celtics and Blizzards.

Steels sounds bit odd to me, Parliamentarians is just not happening, and I have no idea what a Castor is.

While I'm certainly not the one who gets to decide this, I personally like the Loons, Oaks, Celtics and Blizzards.

Steels sounds bit odd to me, Parliamentarians is just not happening, and I have no idea what a Castor is.

Castor is french for Beaver. It being Quebec city they would probably want to be called by the French name at all times.

I'm a little behind on the updates :eek::p, though I have read the 1956 ones a while back. :) Might as well comment.

Interesting developments with the election and the whole North-South split between the parties. Will these mean anything in the future by any chance?

Interesting foreign developments as well. How are things for minorities in the Russian Empire? How strong is nationalism? Is there any sort of autonomy? Will these lands become independent at some point or will Russia become the Imperial Eurasian Federation like it did in your retconned epilogue?

Speaking of minorities, interesting developments with Italy as well. Will many European colonies be gradually integrated into their mother countries with much less decolonization than OTL?

On a similar note, whats going on with South Africa? Is it still a British Dominion? Does Apartheid exist or is it more or less the status of South Africa before OTL Apartheid?

Interesting foreign developments as well. How are things for minorities in the Russian Empire? How strong is nationalism? Is there any sort of autonomy? Will these lands become independent at some point or will Russia become the Imperial Eurasian Federation like it did in your retconned epilogue?

In Russia Finland and Poland have probably quiet large autonomy. I guess that minoritys are quiet OK but there is surely extremist Russian nationalism. And many nations are surely quiet nationalist. Perhaps not separatism seeking but probably want more autonomy and protect their language and culture.

State Profile: Virginia
Here's another state summary for you, MacGregor. If there are any changes to be made, please let me know.

Name:
Commonwealth of Virginia

Current Governor: Jerry Wittman (R)
Capital: Richmond
Largest City: Hampton Roads
Admission to the Union: June 25, 1788 (10th)
Nickname(s): The Old Dominion (official), Mother of Presidents, the Tidewater State
State Song: Carry Me Back to Old Virginia (official), Take Me Home, Country Roads (popular)*
State Bird: Cardinal
State Flower: Flowering Dogwood
State Tree: American Dogwood

Professional sports teams

· Baseball: The Richmond Marblemen
· Football: The Norfolk Tides
· Rugby: The Hampton Buccaneers
· Handball: The Virginia Spiders
· Lacrosse: The Alexandria Legionaries

Post Civil War History:

The Commonwealth of Virginia originally sided with the Confederacy, but the bulk of the state fell to Union troops under the command of Generals Sumner and Pope on June 6th, 1862, obliging the CSA government to relocate to Greensboro, NC (although there would remain a fair Confederate presence in Danville until
May 25th, 1863, when the remainder of the state fell to the Union). After the war, Virginia became a model for the up-and-coming "New South" (along with Tennessee), thanks to the success of Reconciliation. Nowadays, Virginia is considered a "swing state", with neither political party having a permanent hold on the state (a common trait of the political landscape is that the Governor is almost always a member of the party opposite of that in the White House). Known for its economic diversity, its natural beauty, and its influence in Federal government, Virginia remains one of the leading states within the South-Eastern U.S.

Notable Virginians:

-George Washington: General in the American Revolution, Founding Father, first President of the United States (
1789 – 1797).
-Thomas Jefferson: Founding Father, political writer/orator, third President of the United States (
1801 – 1809)
-James Monroe: fifth President of the United States (1817–1825), creator of the "Monroe Doctrine"
-Robert E. Lee: one of the more successful Confederate generals of the Civil War
-Arthur I. Boreman: 18th. President of the United States (1876-1884)
-Andre Brooks: entrepreneur, founder of the WNC (World News Corporation)**

*IOTL, this song's lyrics refer more accurately to western Virginia, not WV. Since there's no split between the states here, it's a moot point anyway. ITTL it's written by Will Taffey, an analogue for John Denver, and while the title and subject matter's the same, the actual lyrics are different from OTL.
**An analogue for Ted Turner and CNN, respectively.

state-flag-virginia.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another state summary for you, MacGregor. If there are any changes to be made, please let me know.

Name: State of Virginia

Current Governor: Jerry Wittman (R)
Capital: Richmond
Largest City: Hampton Roads
Admission to the Union: June 25, 1788 (10th)
Nickname(s): The Old Dominion (official), Mother of Presidents, the Tidewater State
State Song: Carry Me Back to Old Virginia (official), Take Me Home, Country Roads (popular)*
State Bird: Cardinal
State Flower: Flowering Dogwood
State Tree: American Dogwood

Professional sports teams

· Baseball: The Richmond Marblemen
· Football: The Norfolk Tides
· Rugby: The Hampton Buccaneers
· Handball: The Virginia Spiders
· Lacrosse: The Alexandria Legionaries

Post Civil War History:

The state of Virginia originally sided with the Confederacy, but the bulk of the state fell to Union troops under the command of Generals Sumner and Pope on June 6th, 1862, obliging the CSA government to relocate to Greensboro, NC (although there would remain a fair Confederate presence in Danville until May 25th, 1863, when the remainder of the state fell to the Union). After the war, Virginia became a model for the up-and-coming "New South" (along with Tennessee), thanks to the success of Reconciliation. Nowadays, Virginia is considered a "swing state", with neither political party having a permanent hold on the state (a common trait of the political landscape is that the Governor is almost always a member of the party opposite of that in the White House). Known for its economic diversity, its natural beauty, and its influence in Federal government, Virginia remains one of the leading states within the South-Eastern U.S.

Notable Virginians:

-George Washington: General in the American Revolution, Founding Father, first President of the United States (1789 – 1797).
-Thomas Jefferson: Founding Father, political writer/orator, third President of the United States (
1801 – 1809)
-James Monroe: fifth President of the United States (1817–1825), creator of the "Monroe Doctrine"
-Robert E. Lee: one of the more successful Confederate generals of the Civil War
-Arthur I. Boreman: 18th. President of the United States (1876-1884)
-Andre Brooks: entrepreneur, founder of the WNC (World News Corporation)**

*IOTL, this song's lyrics refer more accurately to western Virginia, not WV. Since there's no split between the states here, it's a moot point anyway. ITTL it's written by Will Taffey, an analogue for John Denver, and while the title and subject matter's the same, the actual lyrics are different from OTL.
**An analogue for Ted Turner and CNN, respectively.

nice, but it would be the Commwealth of Virginia...

I love it! Just cange it to the Commonwealth of Virginia and consider it cannon. Cheers!

I'm a little behind on the updates :eek::p, though I have read the 1956 ones a while back. :) Might as well comment.

Interesting developments with the election and the whole North-South split between the parties. Will these mean anything in the future by any chance?

Speaking of minorities, interesting developments with Italy as well. Will many European colonies be gradually integrated into their mother countries with much less decolonization than OTL?

On a similar note, whats going on with South Africa? Is it still a British Dominion? Does Apartheid exist or is it more or less the status of South Africa before OTL Apartheid?

Good questions.
1) I think people are making to much out of the north south split in the 1956 election. The Democratic Party like OTL has a hold on the South, but remember that New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Road Island, and New Jersey also went Demcoratic so it is hardly a total north south divide. Plus many states both north and south were very close to swinging the other way.
2) Ethnic minorities in Russia aren't doing that great. They are often pushed to the fringes in the Duma by the larger Russian parties and as such nationalism is on the rise. Poland and Finland enjoy some degree of autonomy but not much and as the Helsinki winter games showed tensions are growing. We will have to wait and see what happens with the Russian Empire but I am open to suggestions.
3) Other nations are considering following Italy's example but not all will.
4) More on South Africa later but as of 1958 it is still a British Dominion.

Ottawa Parliamentarians
Quebec Castors
Halifax Celtics
Winnipeg Blizzards

Those good?

Great ideas, I am still not sure if I want Canada to have their own Lacrosse league or not but I think I will use the Montreal Loons and Toronto Oaks in a future update. Keet the suggestions coming.

I have really appreciated all the excellent reader input that this TL has received. Some areas that I would be excited to see more reader suggestions or submissions would be....

1) State Profiles (see FleetMac's excellent example above)
2) The People of the Union Forever (person must have been conceived before the POD) see page 66 for examples.
3) Team names for the American Football Association
4) Team names for the National Lacrosse Federation
5) Alternate names for cities built after the POD.
6) Country profiles (see example on page 67)
7) Your name in the Union Forever

Feel free to post or PM me, Cheers!

Lacrosse leagues...

Maybe ITTL, the merger is between a US Lacrosse League and a Canadian one. Pick your OTL mergers ranging from the pure equality of Baseball, the somewhat one-sided merger in American Football or the completely onesided mergers of Basketball or Hockey...

Maybe ITTL, the merger is between a US Lacrosse League and a Canadian one. Pick your OTL mergers ranging from the pure equality of Baseball, the somewhat one-sided merger in American Football or the completely onesided mergers of Basketball or Hockey...

I like it, lets create a Canadain lacrosse league and an American league that will eventually merge. Thanks for the idea.