The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Dave Shoup

Banned
Aug 17, 1955 hours. SMS Prince Rupert, Prince Rupert Harbour.

Officers stood on the Princess Charlotte’s port bridge wing, looking into the fog with binoculars. They turned to watch the Prince Rupert approach, then startled as she pulled alongside and ground to a stop against their ship’s side, without even the courtesy of lowering bumpers. When armed sailors started vaulting over the rail, they ran from the bridge. The boarding party was thin, what with the number of wounded that Prince Rupert’s crew had suffered, and those that remained manning the guns covering the boarding. Still, they were unopposed, and quickly took control of the ship.

Von Spee stood at the gangplank to the wharf. Some of the Princess Charlotte’s crew were running down the wharf. It was too late to catch them.

“They will sound the alarm in the town within minutes,” he said. “We might as well release the lot,” he said to one of his petty officers, who was leading the detail guarding the crew and few passengers who had been rounded up in a search of the ship. They were lined up in a row on the lower promenade deck. Deck crew in blue uniforms, and machinery space crew in overalls, and a couple of dozen passengers in various states of dress and undress. One sheepish looking man and woman were wearing blankets.

“Go on, you are free to go,” he said to the assembled passengers and crew. He said to his petty officer, “Have the other prisoners brought as well. We can get rid of all those extra mouths.” Looking like they were still in a state of disbelief, the passengers and crew of the Princess Charlotte, filed down the gangplank onto the wharf.

The wharf was dominated by a one long peaked-roof warehouse, with Grand Trunk Pacific – Prince Rupert painted on the front. Behind were lines of railway tracks, with clusters of freight cars here and there. At the left side of the dock, to the north, was a wooden ramp wide enough for three wagons abreast, built like a trestle, that led over the tracks and up to the level of the main part of the city. On the other side of the tracks were two multi-story square buildings. One said F.G. Dawson – Fruit and Produce – Wholesale Grocers, the other Kelly Douglas & Co. Ltd. – Wholesale Grocers – The Home of Nabob Brands, up a four story façade.

Beyond, was a dirt bank with exposed rock outcroppings, and a mess of giant stumps. Just visible through the fog were some ornate stone and brick office buildings. The effect, thought Von Spee, was as if a few blocks of San Francisco had appeared in the middle of Anyox. This collision of blasted wilderness and metropolis seemed to be how they did things in Canada.

“Ready the three worst of our wounded for transport. I want to speak to the militia and fisheries officers before we release them.”

https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca...9e0c85-8aee-4f0d-b587-6bf89e94b481-A30018.jpg

Did they at least let the happy couple get dressed? ;)

Just wanted to say again, this is a story that has been very enjoyable to read. Please continue.

And this is tagline-worthy:

This collision of blasted wilderness and metropolis seemed to be how they did things in Canada.

Contracts
Aug 17, 1205 hours. SMS Prince Rupert, Prince Rupert Harbour.

Von Spee had the military prisoners assembled in the largest space on the ship, the burned out dining room, under heavy guard. Fog drifted in through the smashed windows. The smell of burnt paint, wood, carpet, and food was oppressive. There were 31 crew from the Galiano, and 2 militiamen. One of the militiamen was lying on a stretcher with his head wrapped in bandages, having been hit by a shell splinter from the Anadyr. He was conscious, but groggy. The crew of the Galiano were in a sour mood and were grumbling and whispering to each other.

Von Spee addressed the gathered Canadians. “Greetings,” he said, bowing slightly. “At this very moment, we are releasing your countrymen, the civilian internees we have in custody. You men were all captured in uniform, and are thus accorded the status of Prisoners of War, with all the rights that status entails. ”

“Under Article 10 of the Annex to The Hague Convention of 1907, to which both of our countries are signatories, I have the option to release you men at liberty on Parole. If you choose to sign these undertakings,” Von Spee held up a fan of handwritten pages, “you are agreeing that you will no longer bear arms against The German Empire or her allies for the duration of this conflict. You may take on all manner of work helpful to your country, as a firefighter or merchant seaman, or factory worker or railwayman. You may not wear a military uniform or bear arms, until the war is over.”

“I’m not signing one of those,” whispered one the Galiano’s crewmen.

“They can’t make us sign,” whispered another.

“Under Article 11,” continued Von Spee, “you are not obliged to sign these undertakings, you are free to refuse, and remain a Prisoner of War in our custody, with all the rights that status entails, and return with us to Germany.”

“Germany!” guffawed one of the Galiano’s crew, under his breath, “Not bloody likely. Bottom of the sea more like it.”

“Under Article 12, if you accept Parole, and then are recaptured bearing arms against the Empire of Germany or her allies, you have forfeited your right to be treated as a Prisoner of War, and would be looked on as a Franc Tireur.

“What does that mean?” asked one of the younger Galiano crew in a whisper.

“Up against the wall,” whispered another.

“Please,” gestured Von Spee to his men, and several unburned tables were brought over. He placed a small pile of the contracts on each table.

“Sign, or do not, according to your conscience,” said Von Spee, “but I should advise you that we will be sailing shortly, and although it is peaceful now, if we come under fire it will be hard for you to leave later.”

The militia and coastguardsmen began to discuss amongst themselves.

“I would suggest that at least, your most injured comrade should be given the opportunity,” said Von Spee, “We will give him the best medical attention that we can, but he belongs in a proper hospital.”

“I’m taking Gabe to the hospital, said the uninjured militiaman,” and signed a sheet for both of them.

“Full name and rank, please,” said Von Spee.

“Well boys,” said Galiano’s grizzled captain, Lieutenant Pope. “I’m not going to order you to sign, but I don’t see what a fat lot of good we will do locked up in the hold of a burned out German prize. I can see Rupert through that porthole.” He signed a contract. At that point his men lined up and began signing themselves, still grumbling.

“Captain, can I have a word with you for a minute?” asked Von Spee.

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hague04.asp

Go
Aug 17, 2000 hours. Prince Rupert.

Captain Evelyn Fry was talking on the telephone to one of his subordinate officers deployed at the shipyard. Fry and the mayor had not established any common command, so both were issuing orders in spite of the other. The police chief was obeying whichever of them happened to be in the room. The fire chief was listening to neither, and was acting autonomously. That was probably just as well. A number of shells had fallen in the city. A private residence, a millinery, a real estate office, and Crippen’s Boneless Herring Factory had been hit and were all on fire. Prince Rupert’s brand new motorized fire brigade was being stretched to its limit.

Fry had sent a militiaman along with a telegraph lineman in a railway handcar to try and find the break in the line. They had encountered another pair of militiamen, who swore they had just survived a pitched gun battle with German marines, and that the Rapids rail bridge was blown up. The crew of the handcar reported they had to stop when they encountered the trestle approach to the bridge, collapsed and burning. Smoke and fog blocked them from confirming the state of the bridge itself. It was going to take more to get the telegraph working again that simply twisting the ends of a fallen wire back together.

Fry had with him, at his improvised headquarters at the Provincial Government Buildings, a sub-lieutenant from his own unit, and a corporal and six privates from the recently disbanded local unit, The Earl Grey’s Own Rifles. Apparently recruitment in town had been low because of resentment about politics in the local militia, that Fry did not have the attention to try to understand. The upshot was some reserve militiamen who had not reported to their mobilization points had set their grievances aside and come forward in the last hour, when they had heard explosions and naval gunfire in their own harbour. These trained men been quickly issued uniforms and rifles, and were filling out the sentry posts around town. Other civilian volunteers had come forward, but Fry was at this point unwilling to arm men unaccustomed to following orders, lest they start shooting each other in the foggy streets.

The sound of a motorcycle approached and stopped. A policeman burst in, short of breath. “Something’s going on down at the GTP Wharf! There has been a collision, and armed men are climbing all over the Prince Rupert and the Princess Charlotte. Some of the crew escaped and have raised the alarm. The Sergeant is talking to them now at the Grand Trunk Inn.”

“Alright,” said Fry to the soldiers. “Form up on me, we are headed for the wharf.” To the policeman he said, “get as many of your men as you can and join us there.” The policeman rode off on his motorcycle. After the noise of the motorcycle had faded somewhat, Fry unlashed his horse from the porch railing and led his detachment from the saddle double time the few blocks to the waterfront.

As they covered the last block down 2nd Street, in sight of the wooden railway overpass and ramp down to the wharf, another series of explosions sounded over the water.

“We need some sharpshooters,” said Fry. “Who is the best shot? All the Prince Rupert militiamen put up their hands. “Well then, you two, take up a position on the bluff there behind the Grand Trunk Inn. You two,” he said to the corporal and another private, tell the Pillsbury family that you are commandeering their top floor bay window. He advanced with his remaining officer and three men. He had minimal resources, but he felt better having set up enfilading rifle teams with interlocking fields of fire.

From where he stood on the street, the wharf was hidden behind a huge stump-covered rock outcropping. Still in the saddle, Fry urged his horse forward gingerly onto the planks of the railway overpass, to surveil the situation below. He immediately realized his deployment of sharpshooters was for naught. The wharf and ships were just indistinct outlines in the fog. His men commanded the approach up the ramp to the town, but in this visibility he could make out no targets on the ships, and he was now closer to the wharf than either of his rifle teams.

The police sergeant strolled up to Fry on the overpass. He was followed by two sailors, one in a Canadian Pacific Railway purser’s uniform, the other a deck hand.

“So I think, Captain,” said the sergeant, “we finally have evidence that our coincidences were more than coincidences.”

“It’s the Germans for sure,” said the deckhand, “we barely got away.”

“Did you see them?” asked Fry.

“No,” said the purser, “We had to run. If they had seen us we would have been captured.”

The sound of a motorcycle was approaching.

“But we heard them,” said the deckhand. “They were yelling in German. And English with a German accent, you know?”

“Do you speak German?” Fry asked the sailors.

“No,” they both answered.

The policeman on the motorcycle rolled up. “I found two constables,” he reported to Fry, then awkwardly repeated to his sergeant. “They are legging it over here now.”

“Someone is coming up the ramp,” said the sergeant. Fry turned his head and saw that it was true. He immediately executed his standing orders, in the event of a German landing attempt.

“Go to the coal dock!” Fry ordered the motorcycle cop. He paused, and turned to the sergeant. “Have your man ride over to the coal dock. Tell the militiamen there to fire the coal stores!”

“Go,” said the sergeant. The motorcycle policeman turned and sped off.

https://gent-family.com/BC/princerupertgtprarriving.html

Last edited:
This is absolutely great stuff here! I'm loving it.

I've been thinking the same thing about the effect on Canada's west coast trade. New liners will need to be built, or brought from somewhere else. The sinking of liners and freighters will also slow down the rebuilding. What will be the economic damage to British Columbia?

Could we see some ship owners reflagging their ships in the USA, if that is legal, or not too illegal? The USN may also send a cruiser, or additional cruiser up to Alaska just in case.

Buying ships from the USA is possible, as long as they aren't warships. I'm sure that any American shipowner will be perfectly happy to sell some older ships at a reasonable markup for a reasonable profit...

Reflagging ships, if they are actually sold, should be OK, but...

The French declared, right from the outset, that they would consider any ship that was German at the start of the war to remain German. If, say, Imperator, had been sold to an American company, the French stated that they would seize it as an enemy ship. Germany could reciprocate.

The French declared, right from the outset, that they would consider any ship that was German at the start of the war to remain German. If, say, Imperator, had been sold to an American company, the French stated that they would seize it as an enemy ship. Germany could reciprocate.

That's a great way to expand the war. That might make for a fun POD. Germany decides just to sell everything in American ports to Americans, and the French start picking them up as they deliver goods to France...

That's a great way to expand the war. That might make for a fun POD. Germany decides just to sell everything in American ports to Americans, and the French start picking them up as they deliver goods to France...

I feel fairly confident that the French would be very selective in their interpretation. If Imperator, or any of the many ships that were in American ports, was transporting something to anywhere other than France or Britain, I think she'd be picked up. "Clearly a German ship. So what if it was taking cargo from New Orleans to Columbia--it's our prize."

I often see references to German liners being "interned" in the United States. They weren't; they were free to sail whenever they wanted, with their usual crews. They didn't, because they would be captured as soon as they were in international waters.

I feel fairly confident that the French would be very selective in their interpretation. If Imperator, or any of the many ships that were in American ports, was transporting something to anywhere other than France or Britain, I think she'd be picked up. "Clearly a German ship. So what if it was taking cargo from New Orleans to Columbia--it's our prize."

I often see references to German liners being "interned" in the United States. They weren't; they were free to sail whenever they wanted, with their usual crews. They didn't, because they would be captured as soon as they were in international waters.
Hmmm not the best idea if said ship is now owned by an American company and now is crewed by Americans, the last time we Americans had such things occur to our nations honor the war of 1812 happened and before that there was the quasi war and the Barbary wars.

That would escalate quickly in 1917, if strictly applied. France would find itself seizing American troopships with whole divisions aboard. Bound for France.
10_November_1917%2C_USS_Mount_Vernon_ID-4508%2C_USS_Agamemnon_ID-3004_and_USS_Von_Steuben_ID-3017_in_the_North_Atlantic.jpg

That is the USS Mount Vernon the former Kronprinzessin Cecilie, USS Agamemnon, former Kronprinz Wilhelm & USS Von Steuben, former Kaiser Wilhelm II, all in one shot.

After the US entered the war in 1917, then the ships were actually interned. Before, they were just hanging out.

That would escalate quickly in 1917, if strictly applied. France would find itself seizing American troopships with whole divisions aboard. Bound for France.
10_November_1917%2C_USS_Mount_Vernon_ID-4508%2C_USS_Agamemnon_ID-3004_and_USS_Von_Steuben_ID-3017_in_the_North_Atlantic.jpg

That is the USS Mount Vernon the former Kronprinzessin Cecilie, USS Agamemnon, former Kronprinz Wilhelm & USS Von Steuben, former Kaiser Wilhelm II, all in one shot.

Once the USA was in the war, they were prizes of war, not ships that had been sold.

I imagine the threat was directed more towards ships being sold to shell companies, things like that. Ships that were in an American harbor sold to a respected American company wouldn't be seized - not worth the trouble. Selling a ship that was in a Central Powers harbor, yeah, that is different. And certainly not warships.

Hmm, that does set up the idea of an ATL where both Entente and CP members both worked hard (or harder?) at antagonizing the 900 lb American eagle.

Anyway, the battle of Prince Rupert has entered a new phase. Where is the nearest telegraph office on the other side of that destroyed bridge and telegraph line? The defenders of Prince Rupert are outnumbered and outgunned. They do know the city and have the fog.

Anyway, the battle of Prince Rupert has entered a new phase. Where is the nearest telegraph office on the other side of that destroyed bridge and telegraph line? The defenders of Prince Rupert are outnumbered and outgunned. They do know the city and have the fog.
The story will tell, but as a backgrounder OTL, every train station on the Grand Trunk Pacific line would have a telegraph office. That was easy because the telegraph line ran beside the railroad track. Port Edward did not seem to rate a train station in its own name in 1910, when the map I have was made, but the closest station south of the railway bridge is called Sunnybank of the 1910 map.
https://www.gent.name/bc:towns:port_edward:start

I have no description of that station, but the next station is called Inverness, which was in a cannery hamlet.
https://www.gent.name/bc:towns:inverness:start

If Sunnybank did not have a telegraph station, then Inverness certainly would.

Sunnybank 6 statute miles south of the railway bridge.

Inverness 8 statute mile south of the railway bridge.

The first cut in the telegraph line ITTL was between Port Edward proper and Sunnybank station.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/1910_GTP.jpg

A message has already been received ITTL in Victoria and Vancouver warning that the Nürnberg was in Anyox.

Last edited:

Of course, fair enough. Regardless, as I said, a great way to expand the war, or at least get cut off from US loans and manufacturing.

Of course, fair enough. Regardless, as I said, a great way to expand the war, or at least get cut off from US loans and manufacturing.

I don't know what actual orders were out there. French ships might have had orders to implement that policy only if the ship was inpotentially carrying stuff to Germany. That policy could result in an interesting POD, but not one I have any time to play with.