The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

MatthewB

Banned
Looks like well deserved justice to me, a few years later than I would prefer but hey it eventually happened
IDK about revisionist history or applying today’s standards to historical events. Do we tear down any statues of Roman emperors? At the end of the day, speaking as an immigrant myself I can see this through an outsider’s eyes, Stephens was trying to protect his culture. Ethnically, Vancouver is now >50% east and south Asian with a declining European demographic, which is what Stephens predicted and feared. We see such thinking and policies as racist and wrong today, but you can’t blame a cultural group for resisting change.

Tibetans for example are resisting Beijing’s push to increase the Han population in Tibet in a coordinated effort to remove them. Let’s hope the Tibetans are more successful than Canada’s indigenous people who were unable to resist and were almost culturally wiped out through horrible policies from Ottawa, including forcing nomadic peoples to settle into towns, forcibly taking children to give to white families, residential schools, language suppression, etc. If I was China, I’d look to early Canada as an example of how to forcibly assimilate the Tibetans.

Looking from that perspective, I wonder if Stephens looked at how BC and Canada was treating its indigenous people and worried the Europeans of BC would end up themselves being pushed off the lands they took.

IDK about revisionist history or applying today’s standards to historical events. Do we tear down any statues of Roman emperors? At the end of the day, speaking as an immigrant myself I can see this through an outsider’s eyes, Stephens was trying to protect his culture. Ethnically, Vancouver is now >50% east and south Asian with a declining European demographic, which is what Stephens predicted and feared. We see such thinking and policies as racist and wrong today, but you can’t blame a cultural group for resisting change.

Tibetans for example are resisting Beijing’s push to increase the Han population in Tibet in a coordinated effort to remove them. Let’s hope the Tibetans are more successful than Canada’s indigenous people who were unable to resist and were almost culturally wiped out through horrible policies from Ottawa, including forcing nomadic peoples to settle into towns, forcibly taking children to give to white families, residential schools, language suppression, etc. If I was China, I’d look to early Canada as an example of how to forcibly assimilate the Tibetans.

Looking from that perspective, I wonder if Stephens looked at how BC and Canada was treating its indigenous people and worried the Europeans of BC would end up themselves being pushed off the lands they took.
Damn. I guess I started that. So I will stop it too. If you wish to discuss immigration policy today, or the merits of removing historical figures from the public square, please start your own thread on Chat. I might even join you there and express some opinions. This is a story about the German Navy in British Columbia in World War One.

Current event meets this historical setting. Today, August 9 2019, Harry Stephens, an anti-Asian immigration Conservative Member of Parliament who appears in the second chapter entitled Prepare for Active Service, has his name taken off a Federal Government Building for his role in the Komagata Maru incident.

My intention is posting this was just to note that a historical figure in this story appeared in the news today.

As between a hammer and an anvil
Aug 16,1730 hours. SMS Nürnberg, Observatory Inlet, Near Anyox B.C.

“Action stations! Jam wireless transmissions! Form up boarding party!” ordered Von Schönberg. A barge followed the tug around the point. Von Schönberg raised his binoculars. The tug’s name was SS Pyrite. She was working hard towing a black hulled barge named Louisiana, clearly a former sailing ship, her hull sitting low in the water.

“Sound the siren! Signal for tug to stop!” The Nürnberg’s siren filled the channel.

The tug flashed back in Morse. “Enemy vessel repots it must keep headway or lose control of its tow.” Reported the signalman. The intervening distance closed rapidly, with tug and its load being carried on the tide. Nürnberg slowed, keeping only enough forward motion for steerage. Prince Rupert copied, then appearing to think better of it, dashed upstream to stay clear. The tug and barge passed Nürnberg head-on, to port.

“Helm, bring us about to port, full rudder, opposite screws, full speed.” By running one engine full forward and one full reverse, Nürnberg turned 180 degrees in little more than her own 115 meter length.

“Chase down that tug!” The cruiser soon caught up with the tug and its load and matched speeds. Members of the tug’s crew were yelling towards Nürnberg and waving her off. “Boarding party forward! We are going to have to do this pirate style, he said to the helmsman. I want you to put our bow against that tug, and keep it there so the boarding party can jump across. We have to be very careful to keep our screws from getting fouled. If we bend a blade, it is a long way the Wilhelmshaven. Execute!”

Nürnberg turned gently to port, pressing the side of her bow against the tug’s bow. The tug’s bow was wrapped in jute hawser to cushion her rail when pushing loads, so the screeching and grinding sounds were subdued. A dozen armed sailors jumped across the gap to the lower foredeck of the tug, staggering and sprawling on landing. One lost his rifle overboard. They quickly took control of the Pyrite’s wheelhouse. Von Schönberg noticed that the pressure from the Nürnberg’s bow was pushing the tug’s bow to starboard, and slowing her. Indeed, tow line slackened, and dipped deeper into the sea.

“Bring that crew aboard!” Von Schönberg called through his loudhailer. “All the below decks crew as well! The prize will be sunk in one minute!” Both the Nürnberg and the Pyrite continued to rotate slowly to starboard, and the barge was now noticeably overtaking them both. In the number four gun casemate, one deck below the main deck, the crew were looking out level with the tug’s deck. They had their barrel shipped inboard, so as not to snag the tug’s rigging, and realized that their open gun port was the quickest route back onboard Nürnberg. The gun crew called to the boarding party, and the tug’s captive crew was marched over to the gun port and pulled through by the outstretched arms of the gunners.

The barge had not lost momentum as fast as the tug, and continued to overtake, turning slightly to port as it did so. Von Schönberg ran to the starboard bridge wing, where he could look directly down on the tug’s deck. “Helm! On my order, Full astern!” he called. The gunners were pulling the boarding party through the gun port as fast as they could, having to dodge bayonets as the rifles were passed back onboard. One of the rifles got stuck crossways against the gun port opening. The barge connected with the stern of the Pyrite and forced her against the side of the Nürnberg as between a hammer and an anvil. The tug’s screw began beating against the cruiser’s hull with a terrible rhythmic clanging. The trees scrolling by on the north side of the inlet were becoming uncomfortably close.

“Leave the rifles!” yelled the gun commander. The remainder of the boarding party scrambled wildly aboard. The last two were grabbed by their suspenders and pulled through the port, legs kicking in space as the tug, pushed by the barge, swung side on into the current.

“Full astern!” ordered Von Schönberg. Great gouts of water churned behind Nürnberg’s stern as she backed away. As they watched, the barge rode on top of the tug, pushing her under with a horrible crunching. The Pyrite capsized side on to the channel, with the black bottom of her hull facing downstream. Her funnel broke away as it was forced against the barge’s rail. There was an explosion and white burst of steam as the sea found her boiler. Then the tug disappeared under the barge.

“Sink that barge with gunfire!” ordered Von Schönberg. Guns numbers one and two opened fire immediately. At less than 200 meters this was point blank range, and both guns registered hits on the first shot, aimed at the water line. The high explosive shells raised tall waterspouts, and pieces of timber flew skyward. Four seconds later the forward guns fired again, and managed two more hits. On the third salvo, gun six joined, the crew finding they had a line of sight. The crew of gun four was still too distracted from the rescue to respond.

“Cease fire!” ordered Von Schönberg. The barge was visibly settling. The Louisiana capsized to port. As she did so the hatch covers broke away, and cascades of heavy blocks rained into the channel. The hull of the Pyrite re-appeared, upside down and low in the water her screw shiny and deformed, but still turning. Ahead of her, the barge sank quickly.

“Secondary guns, sink the tug!” The two starboard 5.2 cm guns fired into the tugs upturned hull. The 2 kilogram shells only had a bursting charge the power of a hand grenade, and left small holes in the hull. Still, this seemed to be sufficient to let the trapped air escape and the tug disappeared under the water. After three salvos Von Schönberg ordered a cease fire.

“Helm, Bring us about.” The Nürnberg again performed the maneuver that had her turn on the spot, and faced north-east, upstream, towards Anyox. Von Schönberg went down from the bridge to check on the Pyrite’s crew and the boarding party. When the Pyrite’s captain saw Von Schönberg he lunged forward and shouted “You crazy son of a bitch! You crazy son of a bitch!” over and over. The lieutenant from the boarding party, who had lost his hat, held the tug captain by the collar until he had exhausted himself.

“I can’t say that I disagree with you captain,” said Von Schönberg. "But, this is war."

Looking upstream he saw the Prince Rupert holding station, waiting for Nürnberg. The Morse light was flashing a message. Momentarily, the signalman came to Von Schönberg. “Message from Prince Rupert sir.”

RADL SAYS THAT WAS ONE MILLION DOLLARS WORTH OF COPPER JUST SUNK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Königsberg-class_cruiser_(1905)#/media/File:Königsberg_class_cruiser_diagrams_Janes_1914.jpg

Last edited:

MatthewB

Banned
Really bringing the hurt on canadian shipping.. will one german ship lead to a CP victory?
Lol. But with rail connections to nearby Prince Rupert we should expect a Canadian army reaction soon. 1907 map of BC rail network below.

609px-1910_GTP.jpg

I’d forgotten how far up river Anyox was from Prince Rupert. If the Germans are hanging about here, won’t they be easy fodder for an overland response?

capture13.png

A town as new as Anyox... there is no connection to the rest of the province, so it is the perfect location for the Germans to sneak in steal coal and get out.
The railhead at Prince Rupert isn’t that far. I wonder if artillery could be shipped and placed to attack any traffic from Anyox.

Does Canada have any aircraft in 1914 to ship by rail? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Aviation_Corps

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
The railhead at Prince Rupert isn’t that far.
It might as well be on the Moon, if you were planning to go cross country to Anyox from there.

How many mules could be collected for an overland expedition?

No, the way there is on sternwheel riverboats.
Not a flotilla I'd want to be a part of, with a German cruiser lurking about

Sinking that barge also makes an obstruction that any Canadian ships won't know about. How deep is the water there, and how wide is the channel at that spot? That tug and barge had the potential to cut Nurnberg's cruise short.

Is the Nurnberg close enough to Anyox that the gunfire could be heard? Though hearing the gunfire and knowing what the gunfire is, then being able to do something about it, are all different things.

Going to the topic of possible attacks on Vancouver. Haro Strait and the Gulf Islands look like a great place for a submarine ambush. Also any German ships would need to sail past Victoria to reach Vancouver, and stay out of US waters.

MatthewB

Banned
It might as well be on the Moon, if you were planning to go cross country to Anyox from there.

How many mules could be collected for an overland expedition?

No, the way there is on sternwheel riverboats.
Not a flotilla I'd want to be a part of, with a German cruiser lurking about
I'd think any discovery and Intel of the Germans reported to Prince Rupert is more likely to come from a Haida or Tlingit dugout canoe than riverboat.

Sinking that barge also makes an obstruction that any Canadian ships won't know about. How deep is the water there, and how wide is the channel at that spot? That tug and barge had the potential to cut Nurnberg's cruise short.

In the chapter entitled Like they were on a train it does say:
The channel narrowed to less than a mile.

You have a good point that I should mention the depth, which is deeper than the 600 foot contour line for almost the whole length of Observatory Inlet. This did occur to me. I will back edit. Ships did run aground in that channel, but usually in the fog.

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html?title=Portland+Canal+and\et+Observatory+Inlet+boating+app#9.51/55.2367/-129.8876

Is the Nurnberg close enough to Anyox that the gunfire could be heard? Though hearing the gunfire and knowing what the gunfire is said:
This will come up in future chapters, but they still are more than an hour's steaming from the town, and there are 2 mines in the town which I expect do a lot of blasting, plus a major construction site on a rocky bluff which I think would have its own share of blasting, and there is a great deal of industrial background noise. This question did occur to me as well, but I think if anyone did hear, they would not think anything was amiss.

Last edited:
There is no way any significant force from Prince Rupert can get to Anyox to prevent the Germans from taking the coal they want, burning the rest and trashing the smelter. To be safe, all the Germans need to get is get aboard ship and sail away as any Canadian force won't have artillery.

MatthewB

Banned
There is no way any significant force from Prince Rupert can get to Anyox to prevent the Germans from taking the coal they want, burning the rest and trashing the smelter. To be safe, all the Germans need to get is get aboard ship and sail away as any Canadian force won't have artillery.
No, but a small observer team from Prince Rupert can monitor them whilst remaining unnoticed.

Just something I should have thought of sooner, and maybe someone asked about it before me... But is there any chance the Canadians/Colombians could get their hands on a plane? I know an important element of this TL (and one that gives it its flavour!) is that it plays on the edge of the world, and often with whatever last generation's technology the Colombians can get their hands upon. But by 1914, the Belgians were already organising makeshifts air attacks on boats on lake Tanganyka, after all; and I found after a quick search that the first flight in BC took place in 1910, and that an air club was founded in 1915. So it's more than likely that one or a few planes would be laying around in BC in 1914.

Seen from the XXIst century, it seems clear that a plane could be very useful for spotting the german cruisers and maybe deal some minor (mostly psychological) damage to them. Of course, one has to factor in the difficult landscape and climate of BC. But what I think the limiting factor would be here, is that the Colombians would not necessarily realise the potential of using a plane, nor even think of it maybe. Perhaps they would come to it once they try and use everything they can get their hands upon after a setback?

Is the Nurnberg close enough to Anyox that the gunfire could be heard? Though hearing the gunfire and knowing what the gunfire is, then being able to do something about it, are all different things.

Going to the topic of possible attacks on Vancouver. Haro Strait and the Gulf Islands look like a great place for a submarine ambush. Also any German ships would need to sail past Victoria to reach Vancouver, and stay out of US waters.

The inlet is deep almost up to the shore for it's entire length till you turn off to anyox.minimum is about 600 feet going down to over 1700 feet.only two shoal areas one with 2 feet depth and the other with 21 feet at low water but easily avoided with local knowledge.Should add that most of the channel is less than 6 miles from the US border.

Driftless

Donor
The inlet is deep almost up to the shore for it's entire length till you turn off to anyox.minimum is about 600 feet going down to over 1700 feet.only two shoal areas one with 2 feet depth and the other with 21 feet at low water but easily avoided with local knowledge.Should add that most of the channel is less than 6 miles from the US border.

Basically, the classic fjord in contour?

marathag

Banned
Just something I should have thought of sooner, and maybe someone asked about it before me... But is there any chance the Canadians/Colombians could get their hands on a plane?

Im that part of BC, having an automobile was a huge deal, because it would have to been shipped in by riverboat. OTL, the only flying experiments with early Curtiss designs were with I think three planes in Victoria and Vancouver, and that's three pilots. These did not have the range to fly to Anyox, even if there was a place to land. So more stuff to bring in by riverboat