The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Just something I should have thought of sooner, and maybe someone asked about it before me... But is there any chance the Canadians/Colombians could get their hands on a plane? I know an important element of this TL (and one that gives it its flavour!) is that it plays on the edge of the world, and often with whatever last generation's technology the Colombians can get their hands upon. But by 1914, the Belgians were already organising makeshifts air attacks on boats on lake Tanganyka, after all; and I found after a quick search that the first flight in BC took place in 1910, and that an air club was founded in 1915. So it's more than likely that one or a few planes would be laying around in BC in 1914.

Seen from the XXIst century, it seems clear that a plane could be very useful for spotting the german cruisers and maybe deal some minor (mostly psychological) damage to them. Of course, one has to factor in the difficult landscape and climate of BC. But what I think the limiting factor would be here, is that the Colombians would not necessarily realise the potential of using a plane, nor even think of it maybe. Perhaps they would come to it once they try and use everything they can get their hands upon after a setback?
Japan at this time had a seaplane tender, the Wakamiya, that took part in the siege of Tsingtao, and launched history's first naval air attack. This might be very useful for scouting. But Japan is more interested in taking Tsingtao than defending Canada. Tsingtao fell November 16 OTL, so that is the first date I would guess Wakamiya is available. Also the seaplane tender struck a mine on September 30 and needed a month to be repaired. Sidebar, the first aerial victory in a dogfight was claimed by the pilot of the Taube flown by the Tsingtao garrison, over one of the Wakamiya's Farman seaplanes. He claimed to have shot it down with his pistol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_seaplane_carrier_Wakamiya

I had not considered aircraft as part of this scenario. I would think the loss rate would be high, what with the mountains, the distances involved, the sketchy quality of the early aircraft, and the weather. If a plane saw one of the German cruisers, it would not have a wireless, and it would only be able to drop something like a hand grenade. Still, aircraft could be very valuable in particular situations.

There is a slight delay
Aug 16, 1745 hours. SMS Prince Rupert and Nürnberg, Observatory Inlet.

Nürnberg and Prince Rupert steamed up Observatory Inlet for another hour. Von Schönberg noticed a haze sitting on the water ahead. After a while, the mountain tops disappeared into the haze and a smell like boiled cabbage became omnipresent. The trees on the shoreline, which had previously been a rich dark green, now had brown fringes, like they were sick, or had been singed by a forest fire. The ships wove their way through the string of islands that guarded Granby Bay. As arranged, Prince Rupert sent a message to the town wireless station, asking the mine general manager and the provincial police officer to meet the liner at the dock. Then the wireless was jammed.

Prince Rupert entered Granby Bay and blew her whistle, as was the custom. Nurnberg sat out of sight off Larcom Island in Observatory Inlet. While he waited, Von Schönberg watched huge plumes of smoke rising over the islands from a source beyond. Nürnberg lowered a boat to act as a picket and lookout, to give warning of any ships coming up Observatory Inlet to the town.

Number One Wharf at Anyox was a crescent shaped timber affair 50 feet wide and half a mile long running parallel to the shore and supporting two sets of train tracks. The Prince Rupert pulled up at its usual berth. At the berth behind her was moored a smaller steamer the Amur, and rafted to her, two coal barges. Behind them all were another three barges rafted side by side, with a smaller steam tug tied up in the outboard position. As usual, a small crowd had come down to greet the steamer arriving from the outside world. Machinists receiving parts, the postmaster receiving mail, and families welcoming their loved ones home stood at the quayside. This time however, only two people stepped down the gangway. Townsite Manager Hiram Karlsson, and an unfamiliar young officer in a poorly fitting Grand Trunk Steamship Line uniform.

Karlsson projected his voice to the crowd. “There is a slight delay. Please be patient.” He called the Mine Manager Edmund Campbell and the Provincial Police Constable John Hutchings forward. The men noticed that Karlsson looked visibly anxious. He produced a piece of paper and said, “I have been instructed to read this prepared statement: ‘The Imperial German Navy is temporarily occupying this town in the name of the Kaiser and according to the articles of war.” Karlsson’s hands were shaking. “The Imperial German Navy has no argument with the civilian residents of this town. We… meaning they…” Karlsson tried to clarify, “ask that all return to their homes, and stay there, and that no obstruction be made to the sailors of the Kaiser’s navy performing their… ahem,” Karlson stuttered, “lawful duties. In return we… they… guarantee that no harm will come to any civilians, and that no damage will be done to peaceful property. However, be advised that the Imperial German Navy will be seizing or disabling any material or equipment that is defined as War Contraband under the Articles of War. As soon as our… their… business is finished we… they… will be on our way. Please help avoid any civilian casualties by refraining from provocative action.”

The party of civilians on the dock looked confused, and slightly hurt, as if they had been offered cake, only to find that it was really plaster. Constable Hutchings looked alarmed, and his eyes darted all over the Prince Rupert, looking for evidence to support this claim. The Mine Manager, however was skeptical. “I have always taken you for a sensible man, Karlsson. But how am I supposed to believe this? How? The German Navy? From where? This beggars belief.”

“Please sir, the captain of the cruiser Nürnberg wanted the local authorities to direct everyone to their own homes, rather than have them rushing about in a panic. That was why he arranged things this way. He thought if the cruiser just sailed into the harbour, there could be bedlam. I agreed to bring this to you only in order to prevent any injury to the townsfolk.”

Campbell looked at Karlsson, with an expression that betrayed a great deal of mental activity. “There are a number of installations placed on the upper works of the Rupert” whispered Karlsson, “that can only be machineguns. They did not tell me this, but I have eyes. The guns are covered with tarpaulins now, but are attended by vigilant crews.” Campbell looked up and saw faces looking over the rail on the near bridge wing and at places along the boat deck. Campbell looked over his shoulder, at the small crowd of townsfolk on the wharf. He had Hutchins shoo them back to a respectful distance.

“Come to think of it,” said Campbell. “I do not recognize that officer. Who is he?”

Lieutenant Von Spee stepped forward and said sotto voce, in a confessional tone. “The Imperial German Navy. At your service,” and bowed slightly. Then he turned back one half of his jacket as a street hawker would, to reveal the naval uniform tunic beneath.

“I was told” said Karlsson to Campbell, “that if I convinced you of the sense of this plan, then the Prince Rupert would fire a green rocket, signifying your agreement. If not, Rupert would fire a red rocket. I was not told what action would follow the red rocket.”

“To be clear,” said Lieutenant Von Spee quietly, summoning the attention of the Anyox managers and policeman, and suddenly very serious, “The statement Mr. Karlsson very kindly read is the version for tender ears. The various Conventions regarding warships in civilian belligerent ports are well understood by naval personnel and poorly understood by civilians. Let me hit the high points. Anything in this harbour that helps the war effort of the British Empire against the German Empire is ours. You had best keep your people away. If you agree to our terms, you are in effect surrendering. You are waving the white flag.

“That is the noble and correct action for a civilian leader responsible for a defenceless port and its population. It is the action I would recommend. There is no dishonor. However if some of your citizens, even one, decide to be a hero and fire on our vessels, say, after a night drinking, we are empowered to return fire with every means at our disposal. Any civilian who fires on military personnel is considered to be a francs-tireur or, how you say… a terrorist. Such a person in not accorded the status of a combatant nor, if captured, that of a prisoner of war. Such a person can be summarily executed. Furthermore, if such a person fires from a crowd on our personnel, it would be allowed, even incumbent for us to execute the whole crowd. If we were tried for these actions in one of your own courts they would, if they properly applied international law, find us innocent of any charges. Do you understand me? This places a tremendous responsibility on you, Mr. Campbell.”

Hiram Karlsson looked into the eyes of this fresh-faced 22 year old boy and was terrified. He looked to his manager. The thought process in Manager Campbell’s head seemed to have arrived at a conclusion. “Constable,” Campbell said to Hutchings, “please instruct the citizens to return to their homes and stay there for the night. I will place the company security at your disposal. Please tell them not to worry, and that the passengers from the Prince Rupert will be joining them shortly.”

“Shall I surrender my revolver?” asked Constable Hutchings, his eyes flicking back and forth between Campbell and Von Spee.

“Constable,” said Lieutenant Von Spee, “I’m sure we could spend a whole day turning this town inside out looking for weapons, and any number would still be hidden in the woodshed, or the attic. Your responsibility is to ensure none are used against us. Keep your revolver.”

Constable Hutchings gave a speech for the crowd to disperse, and after a great deal of grumbling and some heckling, the people went home, because, after all, they were Canadians.

“So I guess that is a green rocket then,” said lieutenant Von Spee cheerfully. He made a hand gesture up to the bridge, and with a whoosh, a distress rocket angled over the harbour, leaving a green smoke trail. Then a German Navy War Ensign was unfurled and run up the Prince Rupert’s mast. Less than a minute later the Nürnberg rounded the point. The warship made a course for Wharf Number One, and tied up to the outermost coal barge in the berth behind the Prince Rupert. Crews swarmed over the deck, preparing for a coaling operation.

At the same time, the Prince Rupert unloaded its passengers, first the two dozen or so regular passengers who had boarded at Victoria or points between, then the 209 interned crews and passengers and their various animals, including the crew of the SS Pyrite, so recently sunk. They were followed by the Grand Trunk Pacific crew including the officer who had, until recently, been her captain.

http://bcmarina.com/Places/AnyoxArchives/Websize/thumbnails.html

Last edited:
This is a great scene--keep it coming. That poor guy is going to be in a world of hurt, at least socially, if he survives.
I expect that the coaling is going to be the first priority.
Will they keep Prince Rupert, or sink her where she'll gum up the works the most.
On the way out, perhaps inform the population that there is a small minefield nearby...

Driftless

Donor
This is a great scene--keep it coming. That poor guy is going to be in a world of hurt, at least socially, if he survives.
Will they keep Prince Rupert, or sink her where she'll gum up the works the most.
On the way out, perhaps inform the population that there is a small minefield nearby...

Didn't the Emden keep a prize as a "spare room" for a time? The Prince Rupert could be useful for holding prisoners, and when fuel becomes short, the Prince Rupert's stock possibly gets shifted to the Nurnberg, leaving just enough to find their way to a nearby port, while the prize crew returns to the Nurnberg. Or, if there are no prisoners left on the Prince Rupert, she gets sunk.... Does that sound plausible?

Didn't the Emden keep a prize as a "spare room" for a time? The Prince Rupert could be useful for holding prisoners, and when fuel becomes short, the Prince Rupert's stock possibly gets shifted to the Nurnberg, leaving just enough to find their way to a nearby port, while the prize crew returns to the Nurnberg. Or, if there are no prisoners left on the Prince Rupert, she gets sunk.... Does that sound plausible?

Several raiders kept a prize for just that reason, though sending the ship to the bottom where it will do the most good has to be attractive, too.

marathag

Banned
Several raiders kept a prize for just that reason, though sending the ship to the bottom where it will do the most good has to be attractive, too.

Like scuttling in the approach, to block Anyox from any Commonwealth deep draft ship getting to the wrecked docks?

Prince (Prinz?) Rupert's engines are oil-fired, unfortunately. Before I found that out, I even had a wild idea of Prince Rupert being turned into a merchant raider.

Well it looks like it's going to be the peaceful version so any effects are going to be long range economic and strategic.

Historically of the 750 miners that worked at Anyox, 400 volunteered for service in the war. I would expect with their employment gone that number will increase. And if propaganda is good general recruitment in Canada will increase Also their stories of German plundering will spread throughout the Canadian expeditionary force, increasing motivation.

I don't think the Germans are going to like having a more motivated Canadian expeditionary force, they had enough trouble with the one they got.

marathag

Banned
I don't think the Germans are going to like having a more motivated Canadian expeditionary force, they had enough trouble with the one they got.

I think you would see a lot more support for those Volunteers to be part of an enlarged and motivated Royal Canadian Navy

MatthewB

Banned
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Prince_Rupert

In 1912, Prince Rupert underwent conversion from coal-burning to oil-burning fuel, which was performed by the B.C. Marine Railway Company at Esquimalt, British Columbia.[6]
Captain Von Schönberg: "Your friends and neighbors onboard the SS Prince Rupert will be allowed to leave the ship as soon as we get our coal and other supplies."
Then they’re going to be disappointed. No coal on Prince Rupert.
The warship made a course for Wharf Number One, and tied up to the outermost coal barge in the berth behind the Prince Rupert. Crews swarmed over the deck, preparing for a coaling operation.
What are you doing for fuel for Prince Rupert? Is there any bunker fuel in Anyox?

How big is the population of Anyox? Could they get the entire town on that ship?

Reason I'm asking is Leipzig may also need coaling. Would there be a way they could signal her to join them and top off her bunkers with coal and all other supplies needed?

Then they could destroy the mine supplies, dock and fire the excess coal.

How big is the population of Anyox? Could they get the entire town on that ship?

Reason I'm asking is Leipzig may also need coaling. Would there be a way they could signal her to join them and top off her bunkers with coal and all other supplies needed?

Then they could destroy the mine supplies, dock and fire the excess coal.

From the chapter entitled An Unexpected Turn:
For a town of only 2500 people, Karlsson did not imagine that Anyox would rate a garrison or coastal artillery
This is the figure I am saying for story purposes. I have gotten different population numbers from various sources, and of course it varied over time. Population peaked at 3000ish in the 20's when they had added a concentrator, flotation mil, and cokeworks to the operation. Some construction is going on during the story, so those workers would be part of the population.

The SS Prince Rupert is liscenced to carry a maximum of 1500 excursion passengers, meaning day passengers standing on the deck.

We last met Liepzig on Aug 13 in the chapter entitled A casual pace. Captain Haun had despaired of taking a prize and was worried that he barely had enough coal to steam from Mendicino to San Francisco. He would need to coal to make it to Anyox.

As darkness fell Leipzig lay off Cape Mendocino. Haun ordered her put about at the Blunt's Reef lightship and headed south. He was going have to see what coal San Francisco would sell him.