The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

There is that detachment of Militia officers that were dropped off in Anyox. The Germans know that there is some sort of 'garrison' in the town. Though that detachment can't do much against a cruiser.

If Anyox can get a warning sent off quickly, how soon can the Rainbow be at the mouth of the inlet?

There is that detachment of Militia officers that were dropped off in Anyox. The Germans know that there is some sort of 'garrison' in the town. Though that detachment can't do much against a cruiser.

If Anyox can get a warning sent off quickly, how soon can the Rainbow be at the mouth of the inlet?
And more importantly the submarines

the Militia was let off at Prince Rupert they have yet to get to Anoyox

The officers had all disembarked at Prince Rupert to locate and prepare sites in the town for a company of infantry that would arrive later in the week by train.
The officers, to a man, got off in Prince Rupert, which, as we will seen, is about 87 nautical miles from Anyox. This is about 6 hours by steamer at 15 knots.

The distance by sea from Esquimalt to the entrance of Portland Inlet, which would put Rainbow in a blocking position, is about 433 nautical miles (with a lot of rounding error) Rainbow, running at her 1914 top speed of 15 knots, ignoring tides, currents, and engine failures, would take about 29 hours to cover that distance.

A town as new as Anyox wouldn't have a local police force, it would have an RCMP detachment. Which would likely have a commander who would was a Boer War vet. A good number of Mounties were vets, so it wouldn't be a simple ragtag group of miners and lumberjacks. If there was a resistance to the German presence, but that would be at most 5 men. As well there is no connection to the rest of the province, so it is the perfect location for the Germans to sneak in steal coal and get out.

The landing of German troops, even a handful of Marines and a shore party will raise hell in Parliament and BC will demand more troops on the coast from Ottawa. Then again there are stories abound of German sailors being caught after having their UBoat forced to surface, and having tickets stubs to the Capitol theatre in Halifax during the war.

Last edited:
You can't just toss a match on a large pile of coal, and between the need to refuel ships and the operations of the smelter there is a lot of coal sitting around Anyox. Even if the Nurnburg does not use the trick of sending the Prince Rupert in first for a surprise "attack", while some coal might be set afire the bulk of it would be salvageable by the Germans.(1) Whether there is telegraphic connection with the rest of Canada, or a wireless station, there is unlikely to be an operator on duty 24/7. Since the Germans will know where the "communications center" is, in addition to jamming wireless a shore party will immediately head there to take it under control, and of course destroy it before they leave.

I would expect the Germans to wreck the smelter as much as possible, tear up some of the RR and destroy any locomotives as first priority. Depending on how much time and manpower they have, they can try and dump and refined copper in the harbor. On the way out they can set any remaining coal on fire, and have a party blow the docks - of course the wireless/telegraph has been wrecked. This will put Anyox out of business for months, they have to rebuild the docks just to get equipment ashore to fix the other stuff, people can be evacuated by boats to anchored ships but heavy equipment needs docks. Going to the mine to try and damage it will take too much time, expose sailors to too much risk and damaging it enough to be a nuisance is quite a task.

(1) Sailing the Prince Rupert in still flying the Red Ensign, and replacing that with the German Naval Ensign as the sailors/marines debark is a legitimate ruse de guerre - the key is no shooting until the false colors are dropped and replaced by true colors.

You can't just toss a match on a large pile of coal,
I'm sure I understand how you would burn a pile of coal if it is in your possession. Pour some kerosine on top and shoot it with a flare gun, or throw a molotov.
Is there a way that a 1914 warship can light a coal pile on fire at range? I would think high explosive shells would just throw coal around. The ammunition available is 10.5cm HE & AP, 5.2 cm HE, 3.7 cm tracer, and 7.92mm tracer. Would a shore party have to climb the pile? Do you know of any historical examples from the period? The Emden shelled the oil storage tanks at Madras, but that was oil.

So is the intention to take the Cruiser to Anyox or just the captured ship?

Its over 100 kms up a Fjord - German warships traditionally don't do very well in Fjords ;)

The ship can shell the pile but that just turns in to a patch of small bits. Burning the left over coal, like blowing the docks, is done by small parties who set things on fire or light fuses and then row away. You are correct about how to start the fire, but the sort of large coal pile that you'll have here will need several ignition points to really get it going. Even then only the top bit burns initially because there is no oxygen deeper in, so you can rake the burning parts aside and underneath it is not burning - all dependent on the size of the pile etc. I expect there are at least two major coal piles, one for the ships and one for the smelter - the one for the ships is close to the docks and can be secured rapidly, the other is not too far, and it would take time to decide to set it on fire and then do so effectively. Given how small Anyox is...

You ned to bring the cruiser up to support the landing party and convince the locals not to get frisky. Also it is much easier to load coal if the cruiser is right there. Even assuming that Anyox gets a warning out, which is iffy at best, the cruiser can load coal, trash Anyox and be gone before the Rainbow gets there. It would require great good luck on the part of the Rainbow to cause significant damage to the Nurnburg before they get sunk

Last edited:
His Majesty’s Ship
Aug 16, 1430 hours. SMS Prince Rupert, Portland Inlet.

The weather continued to improve, and visibility to increase. To the south, and west, great treed slopes appeared from the mist. The Nürnberg and Prince Rupert held station with one another, but were being carried northeastward at a speed of several knots. “The tide is in flood,” said Radl. “The water moves very strongly in these channels.” With the mist lifting, Radl was getting his bearings and recognizing landmarks. “So that is Maskelyne Point off our starboard beam, and John Point due east. I can locate our position on your chart right now.” Radl, Von Spee, and his new navigator conferred over the chart table. “When we get underway, we will want to steer just east of north. Stay in the centre of the channel and you will have at least 100 fathoms under your keel. And we should get underway soon, this is a fairly busy waterway. There are no scheduled ships for the next day, but there are often unscheduled ones.”

Von Schönberg crossed back over to Nürnberg with Radl to have a briefing and planning meeting with his senior officers. Afterwards the captain and Radl returned, along with more sailors to operate Prince Rupert, and to keep order. Some heavy items draped in tarpaulins were brought over and manhandled up to high places on the Prince Rupert’s superstructure, watched over by armed sailors. The captured passengers and crews had the lounges and staterooms to themselves. The German prize crew occupied the top deck, wheelhouse, and machinery spaces, with sufficient armed guards to deter any ideas of a counter-mutiny. Von Schönberg returned to personally instruct Lieutenant Von Spee on his role, which he did.

Lieutenant Von Spee was looking quite at home on the bridge of his first command, issuing orders to his new bridge crew. “Ah, he reminds me of myself, about 20 years ago, said Radl quietly. He and Von Schönberg stood back, and watched from the side, so as not to crowd the Lieutenant. Von Spee glanced over, and Von Schönberg nodded his approval, but something more seemed to be on the young man’s mind.

“Yes Lieutenant, please feel free to ask me anything.”

“ Sir…” Von Spee said, and then hesitated.

Von Schönberg waited patiently for the thought to be expressed.

“If we have attached the title, His Majesty’s Ship to the front of this ships’s name, shouldn’t the name also be German?”

“This ship is already named after an important German,” replied Von Schönberg with gravitas.

“The ship is named after an Canadian city,” said Radl.

“Ah so. The ship is named after a Canadian city that is named after an important German. Have you not heard of Prince Rupert of the Rhine? Born Sixteen… something-teen. Son of Fredrick the Fifth of the Palatinate? Fearless teen cavalryman, general in half a dozen armies, and an admiral as well? Artist, scholar, inventor, cryptographer, polymath, philanderer, and scoundrel? Accused of war crimes, witchcraft and piracy? The English love him because he commanded Royalist cavalry in their civil war and was an Admiral in their navy after the Restoration. The Canadians love him because he was first Governor of the Hudson’s Bay Company. But he also sacked English cities, notably Birmingham, Leicester, and Bristol. And he fought a three-year campaign as a privateer against the English Navy. I can’t think of a better name for this ship. Sail her well.” Lieutenant Von Spee and captain Von Schönberg exchanged salutes.

“Mr Radl, I would like you to stay here to pilot the Prince Rupert. I will follow in Nürnberg. The men have their orders.” Von Schönberg climbed down into the yawl and cast off. The two ships and the boat were stationary in relation to each other, but they were all moving in a group at about 3 knots relative to the shore, as if on a river moving inland. A wall of huge trees lined the sides of the inlet, separated by just over a mile of water. Above the machinery sounds of the two ships resting at idle, Von Schönberg heard a puff of escaping air, like a great exhalation, then another and another. These sounds continued getting louder.

An oarsman cried out and pointed west, back towards the Pacific, where a tall black fin rose out of the water, then another. A school of killer whales overtook the drifting ships, and suddenly, silently except for the puffs of their breathing, the ships and the yawl were surrounded by tall dorsal fins and the smooth sides of the giant creatures, shiny black with white patches like panda bears, thought Von Schönberg. He noticed several smaller whales, each keeping close company with a larger adult. Mutter und kinder. One whale passed directly under the yawl, fully as long as the boat. The men could make out every detail of its streamlined head and powerful flukes through the clear water. The whales continued up the inlet, ignoring the human drama, and soon disappeared.

Last edited:
I also wonder what the USA response of a German landing in BC to burn a city and recoal will be. If then a German warship sails into the channel leading towards Vancouver/Seattle things could get very very interesting.

I usually don't really like "micro-history" TLs, but I got caught by this one - is it because the setting is original and familiar at once? Because of the attention to details? Or just your really good character writing? At any rate, I subbed, and I'll read the end of the Rainbow's adventures even if I have to run to British Colombia to make you write it!

IMHO the USA won't be "happy" about the raid on Anyox, but Germany and Canada are at war so that is "their" business. Again, should the Germans attack Vancouver or Victoria, that will be even more disturbing to the US. A key would be that the Germans stay scrupulously on the Canadian side of the line. I'm sure the Canadians/British would claim the Germans got there by sneaking through US waters as a propaganda move, true or not. In spite of Wilson's reluctance to have anything to do with the "preparedness movement" until much later, I expect the war being fought at close range would spur some expansion/readiness improvements in the US military, especially the navy.

A mind of her own
Aug 16. Esquimalt Naval Dockyard.

The submarine flotilla, in the personage of Tubby Keyes, had requisitioned the boats from HMCS (nee HMS) Shearwater and Algerine to accompany the submarines on sea trials. Keyes called them tender boats when speaking of them out loud, but quietly thought of them as rescue boats. Premier McBride asked to ride along on the Shearwater’s steam pinnace, accompanied by the new Dockyard Commander Captain Trousdale, and the operations and rescue crew alongside in several other similar boats. The submarines had been performing diving and surfacing exercises at sea for much of the day, with the crews becoming more confident in their operation. Keyes arranged that the exercises be conducted in Royal Roads anchorage outside of Esquimalt harbour, where the water was deep enough to operate at periscope depth, but shallow enough that a sinking might be survivable.

Keyes stood in the conning tower of CC-1, with First officer and lookout, cruising at about 5 knots. While McBride and Trousdale watched, Keyes waved at them, gave orders to the men, all disappeared, and the hatch closed. The water boiled alongside the ballast tanks, and the hull slipped below the water. The conning tower followed, and soon all that was visible was the tip of the periscope, leaving its own small wake. The periscope turned, and its path began to describe a circle around the tender boats. Then the periscope dipped and disappeared as well. For several minutes the surface of the sea was empty.

Trousdale began to look nervous.

“I do hope they are doing that on purpose,” said McBride, starting to become anxious himself.

Two hundred yards further down the range, the sea erupted with escaping air, and the stern of the sub broke surface at a 45 degree angle travelling backwards, her screws spinning in the air. CC-1 finished surfacing, settled into a proper attitude, and began cruising forward again. The hatch opened and Keyes emerged. He summoned McBride’s pinnace, and when close enough he shouted over.

“I am starting to think that the Chileans might have been right about these boats,” Keyes yelled across the water, with some frustration in his voice. “When we fill the ballast tanks completely, they sink like stones, they can’t maintain neutral buoyancy. But when we partially fill the tanks, they have trim problems, and a tendency to pitch uncontrollably. That was the worst incident yet you just saw there, but we have been dealing with that all day.”

“Number 2 is worse, she is seems to have a mind of her own when it comes to blowing ballast. Sometimes it works, sometimes nothing. Being unable to dive on exercise is one thing. Being unable to blow the tanks and surface, that is another. And we are planning on taking these boats to war!”

“That’s quite enough for today,” Keyes called down the hatch. “Let’s take her in.” The diesel engines sprang to life, and it was no longer possible to talk between craft. The sub and attendant boats convoyed back into Esquimalt harbour.

http://vimyridgehistory.com/kit-2/sea/subs/

Last edited:
not good.. at all. I wonder if they could contact someone at the Electric Boat company for any tips on how to fix the problems with out a major overhaul seems the Seattle shipyard had bad craftsmen

Pouring kerosene, and any other available petroleum onto the coal piles, getting the coal burning well, is the trick. Once you've got it going well, it will be VERY hard to put out, particularly if it can be gotten to burn down deep. Coal fires shipboard are a nightmare, as even a few embers will reignite a pile. Coal piles sometimes burn from spontaneous combustion, and those are deep fires. I was on a Laker, we were picking up a cargo of coal and one of the piles ashore was smoldering from a fire, and this was in 99. Enough petroleum on top of those coal piles, and the locals aren't going to be putting it out, particularly if any local horse drawn fire engines are disabled. Were it me I'd burn the docks too, no docks means nothing can be gotten in or out until they are repaired.

No docks (burnt or blown up) means that while people can be transferred in or out via small boats, trying to fix the damage to the smelter and replace wrecked railroad gear needs docks to unload heavy equipment, so no docks no repairs. You have to rebuild the docks first. This prolongs the down time for the copper operation.