The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all this discussion on France and Sidos, I have to say that the candidate for the French State's leadership that fascinates me the most is Pierre Gaxotte, who doesn't have content yet. What fascinates me about him is that unlike the other candidates, Gaxotte is a freaking French monarchist in the mid-20th century who wants to bring back an institution nobody actually wants after nearly a century of republicanism and the guy he wishes to crown as France's monarch literally fought for the French Resistance during the fucking war. In fact, the event that comes up when he gets elected (I don't have a picture of it, sorry) literally says that the entirety of French society is pissed at the idea of this guy dismantling one of the core parts of French culture for the past several decades and the establishment fully intends to resist all of Gaxotte's delusional plans to scale back France to the days of pre-Revolution monarchism. I also want to play as him because one of the more annoying aspects of HOI4's modding community is this weird obsession with bringing back the French monarchy, and I want to see TNO flip this concept on its head and show how much of a moronic and disastrous idea it is.

Last edited:

chankljp

Donor
Personally I dont think Free France would be a trap path, but it would be very hard and in most cases they relinquish ties to the homeland in favor of creating a “new” society in Africa, while returning to the homeland requires a couple of cobditions that rarely happen.

Hell, even the number of trap/doomed paths is less than what was commonly thought of to happen in TNO, with Tabby, Huttig, Goering and maybe Vagner being the really big ones
Just out of curiosity: What do you think the conditions would be require in order for Free France to 'win' (Either retaking the homeland with them being in charge, or creating a new nation in Africa with them being in power in the long-run)? Since I just honestly just cannot imagine a scenario for it to be possible .

With all this discussion on France and Sidos, I have to say that the candidate for the French State's leadership that fascinates me the most is Pierre Gaxotte, who doesn't have content yet. What fascinates me about him is that unlike the other candidates, Gaxotte is a freaking French monarchist in the mid-20th century who wants to bring back an institution nobody actually wants after nearly a century of republicanism and the guy he wishes to crown as France's monarch literally fought for the French Resistance during the fucking war. In fact, the event that comes up when he gets elected (I don't have a picture of it, sorry) literally says that the entirety of French society is pissed at the idea of this guy dismantling one of the core parts of French culture for the past several decades and the establishment fully intends to resist all of Gaxotte's delusional plans to scale back France to the days of pre-Revolution monarchism. I also want to play as him because one of the more annoying aspects of HOI4's modding community is this weird obsession with bringing back the French monarchy, and I want to see TNO flip this concept on its head and show how much of a moronic and disastrous idea it is.
And speaking of content-less French paths, the Technocrat also sounds really interesting as well.

Continuing from the last time when I write about Phibunsongkhram background and how he rised to power. All this information came from my university lecture and I hold no credit of researching it myself.

Phibunsongkhram Administration

During his administration Phibunsongkhram government intend to do massive social engineering project involving all citizen of Thailand.

Public and Private divide became extremely low. What you do in your life affect the state as the government claim. How you act in life will affect how other country perceive the state.

One of the first action happen when Minister of fine art Luang Vichitvadakan travel to French Indochina and look at various archeological dig site and claim that there are evidence that Thai (or Tai) are an ancient race that dominate South East Asia, of course this is rather pseudoscientific. Thus Siam must change it name to Thai in honor of the main ethnicity of the country. From now on all Siamese must call them selves Thai.

During his administration Phibun bring his policy into reality through “Rattaniyom” (State decree). This decree does not need the approval of the parliament. One of the decree is that Thai must pay respect to our flag and anthem (We still do it even today).

Ok lets talk about some of his social engineering project

First is the promotion of food. Thai children must be fed properly, healthy children will grow up to be strong citizen thus strong army. During this period there are also the so call “Protein mania” where the government wish for the Thai people to eat more protein (thinking that Thai people eat too much carbohydrate), thus house hold are encourage to raise chicken so they can get fresh egg.

Protein mania also coincide with the promotion of masculinity. Body building competition are held, women and men are promoted to workout and gain muscle. Even the art of this period have people being masculine.

Now we reach one of the more unsavory bit of the regime. With the increase of ethnonationalism sentiment came the discrimination against the Chinese. Chinese were dub as jews of the east by regime main propagandist Luang Vichitvadakan (even though he have Chinese grandfather). Though it need to be said that a lot of important business are run by Chinese. One of my Chinese ancestor even gain logging right here in Thailand (and we devastated the forest in that province...). Chinese community during that time was rather insulate, they speak Chinese, they called themselves Chinese, they go to Chinese school. Thus the government decide to intervene. Government declare that certain occupation can only be occupy by Thai (Barber, Coal Seller, Hat maker, Knife maker, Shoes maker). As well as banning foreigner from entering certain province, for example province that have logging industry. Imagine being Chinese national that run a logging company in that province and now you are barred from entering it. Thai government even create state run company to compete with existing Chinese company. Chinese culture were suppress, and Chinese newspaper were raided.

However unlike the Nazi and the Jew Thai government did give Chinese people a chance. They can became Thai if they abandon their Chinese name, learn to speak Thai, sending their children to Thai school, treat Thailand as their fatherland, as denounce their loyalty to China. Many Chinese businessmen who accept the deal goes on to play important role in Thai government through their economic expertise. My Chinese ancestor was also assimilate during this time period.

The regime also heavily try to reshape how Thai people act in public and in private.

One of the more well known one are things like promoting western style cloth, wearing Thai style cloth is consider barbaric. Lots of rural Thai sometime are topless and shoeless, this is not tolerate and people can be arrest for being topless and not wearing shoes. Phibun view that as long as we act like the way we did we will never be accepted as equal to the westerner. One of the popular motto of the time is “Wearing hat will turn Thailand into a superpower”. Government promote this by hosting fashion competition where people who wear “trendy” western cloth are rewarded.

Even people house is taken into consideration. The government does not want people to live in shack and hut. People room should be well organized, there should be separated room in house for various activities (cooking and sleeping).

The state even try to change how people spend their freetime. Now people are promoted to have high tea and wearing suite when relaxing.

As with normal fascist regime military expansion was to be expected. Soldier are treated as hero. The youth are mobilize through “military youth program”. It begin with highschool student being taught military skill if they wish, the program later expand to include primary school as well as female student. Speaking of female role in military, Phibunsongkhram era also create program for female cadets school. Sadly post Phibun era government canceled the program. So in a way fascist government is more progressive than the democratic one.

Cult of personality gain prominence after franco Thai war raise waves of nationalist sentiment. Concept of nation as human body emerge, Leader as the brain, leader as embodiment of people will, every house is encourage to have Phibun portrait. During this era Phibun wife also gain a lot of popularity, she is a symbol of change and show that women can gain prominence in politic.

Any way this is just various policy of his government before Japanese assert their dominance over Thailand, so I guess this era can be view as what Phibun really want to do without being influenced by outside factor.

I really wonder how TNO will represent him since he is very complex character

Last edited:

chankljp

Donor
One of the first action happen when Minister of fine art Luang Vichitvadakan travel to French Indochina and look at various archeological dig site and claim that there are evidence that Thai (or Tai) are an ancient race that dominate South East Asia, of course this is rather pseudoscientific. Thus Siam must change it name to Thai in honor of the main ethnicity of the country. From now on all Siamese must call them selves Thai.
Considering that the Komi's Eurasianist under Gumilyov can actually send archaeological excavation teams to Vietnam and India in order to uncover artifacts to prove the existence of an ancient pan-Eurasian master race, I will love to see their interaction with Thailand. Maybe Gumilyov will claim that the Thai people are Eurasians as well?

Or better yet... A meme path for claiming that the Thai people are in fact the real Aryans destined to rule over all of Asia, and not those pretenders over in Germany or Russia! :biggrin:

Considering that the Komi's Eurasianist under Gumilyov can actually send archaeological excavation teams to Vietnam and India in order to uncover artifacts to prove the existence of an ancient pan-Eurasian master race, I will love to see their interaction with Thailand. Maybe Gumilyov will claim that the Thai people are Eurasians as well?

Or better yet... A meme path for claiming that the Thai people are in fact the real Aryans destined to rule over all of Asia, and not those pretenders over in Germany or Russia! :biggrin:
In OTL Luang Vichitvadakan died in 1962 so he will probably be dead by the time Gumilyov came into power. But yes two pseudoscientific talking to one another will be interesting.

I also want to play his route so much. Vive le Roi!

Continuing from the last time when I write about Phibunsongkhram background and how he rised to power. All this information came from my university lecture and I hold no credit of researching it myself.

Phibunsongkhram Administration

During his administration Phibunsongkhram government intend to do massive social engineering project involving all citizen of Thailand.

Public and Private divide became extremely low. What you do in your life affect the state as the government claim. How you act in life will affect how other country perceive the state.

During his administration Phibun bring his policy into reality through “Rattaniyom” (State decree). This decree does not need the approval of the parliament. One of the decree is that Thai must pay respect to our flag and anthem (We still do it even today).

Ok lets talk about some of his social engineering project

First is the promotion of food. Thai children must be fed properly, healthy children will grow up to be strong citizen thus strong army. During this period there are also the so call “Protein mania” where the government wish for the Thai people to eat more protein (thinking that Thai people eat too much carbohydrate), thus house hold are encourage to raise chicken so they can get fresh egg.

Protein mania also coincide with the promotion of masculinity. Body building competition are held, women and men are promoted to workout and gain muscle. Even the art of this period have people being masculine.

Now we reach one of the more unsavory bit of the regime. With the increase of ethnonationalism sentiment came the discrimination against the Chinese. Chinese were dub as jews of the east by regime main propagandist Luang Vichitvadakan (even though he have Chinese grandfather). Though it need to be said that a lot of important business are run by Chinese. One of my Chinese ancestor even gain logging right here in Thailand (and we devastated the forest in that province...). Chinese community during that time was rather insulate, they speak Chinese, they called themselves Chinese, they go to Chinese school. Thus the government decide to intervene. Government declare that certain occupation can only be occupy by Thai (Barber, Coal Seller, Hat maker, Knife maker, Shoes maker). As well as banning foreigner from entering certain province, for example province that have logging industry. Imagine being Chinese national that run a logging company in that province and now you are barred from entering it. Thai government even create state run company to compete with existing Chinese company. Chinese culture were suppress, and Chinese newspaper were raided.

However unlike the Nazi and the Jew Thai government did give Chinese people a chance. They can became Thai if they abandon their Chinese name, learn to speak Thai, sending their children to Thai school, treat Thailand as their fatherland, as denounce their loyalty to China. Many Chinese businessmen who accept the deal goes on to play important role in Thai government through their economic expertise. My Chinese ancestor was also assimilate during this time period.

The regime also heavily try to reshape how Thai people act in public and in private.

One of the more well known one are things like promoting western style cloth, wearing Thai style cloth is consider barbaric. Lots of rural Thai sometime are topless and shoeless, this is not tolerate and people can be arrest for being topless and not wearing shoes. Phibun view that as long as we act like the way we did we will never be accepted as equal to the westerner. One of the popular motto of the time is “Wearing hat will turn Thailand into a superpower”. Government promote this by hosting fashion competition where people who wear “trendy” western cloth are rewarded.

Even people house is taken into consideration. The government does not want people to live in shack and hut. People room should be well organized, there should be separated room in house for various activities (cooking and sleeping).

The state even try to change how people spend their freetime. Now people are promoted to have high tea and wearing suite when relaxing.

As with normal fascist regime military expansion was to be expected. Soldier are treated as hero. The youth are mobilize through “military youth program”. It begin with highschool student being taught military skill if they wish, the program later expand to include primary school as well as female student. Speaking of female role in military, Phibunsongkhram era also create program for female cadets school. Sadly post Phibun era government canceled the program. So in a way fascist government is more progressive than the democratic one.

Cult of personality gain prominence after franco Thai war raise waves of nationalist sentiment. Concept of nation as human body emerge, Leader as the brain, leader as embodiment of people will, every house is encourage to have Phibun portrait. During this era Phibun wife also gain a lot of popularity, she is a symbol of change and show that women can gain prominence in politic.

Any way this is just various policy of his government before Japanese assert their dominance over Thailand, so I guess this era can be view as what Phibun really want to do without being influenced by outside factor.

Here the main question:

Did he gave people resources to westernise themselves? It so easy for the government to order you to leave a shack and buy a suit, but if you don't have money this is impossible.

Also Phibun policies reminds me of Brazilian propaganda from the 70s that tried to educate people to do stuff like taking baths and washing their hands. It seems that this was a big problem back then here.

Here the main question:

Did he gave people resources to westernise themselves? It so easy for the government to order you to leave a shack and buy a suit, but if you don't have money this is impossible.

Also Phibun policies reminds me of Brazilian propaganda from the 70s that tried to educate people to do stuff like taking baths and washing their hands. It seems that this was a big problem back then here.
I recall that government did aid in creating various western recreational facility for free time, but things like clothing is up to the citizen to pay for it. I think Thai cloth aren't ban it is just discourage, but they are pretty serious about Shoes and not being topless. Shoes is pretty big issue, some poorer part of the region multiple family have to share shoes when they go to government office (since they aren't allow in without it). But I think enforcement of these things are much laxer in rural area (where most poorer people are) than compare to the Bangkok where people normally have enough money to buy it.

So the government aid in some program while let some be handle by the people.

[...]

Depending on what way China goes you could end up with an SEA analogue of the South Tyrol Option.

Which reminds me, how is South Tyrol doing in the TNOverse? Is it still there as a potential source of conflict between the more hardline German and Italian paths?

Plus Goebbels and Schorner OTL were partners in crime in the whole 'try to stop the Red Army with a wall made from the flesh of dead old men and children' thing, so it makes sense that in TNOTL they would have some sort of preexisting special relationship. Goebbels actually specifically noted in his diary that Schorner was the Wehrmacht general he most admired, because of his merciless treatment of 'defeatists'. OTL they had a clear ideological affinity.

Yep, Goebbels, praises him in it. Think he also wanted him to be in charge of the Ersatzheer.

Moreover, the whole reason Göring turns to the militarists is because he's attached to himself to them for power. But this does not make much sense given the setting. Göring has been the second man in the state since the early days of the regime, he is enormously rich and has his finger in many pies, from the economy to the military. Moreover, since Germany won the war and it is cities were not bombed to smithereens, he hasn't been humiliated like in OTL. It is even noted in TNO that he's popular with the people and seen as the uncle of the Reich. So unless something happened to really damage his standing, logically he'd be the guy most likely to win the civil war, instead of Bormann (who as a backroom plotter with no charisma would just attach himself to another candidate and try to puppet them).

Goebbels, while not an insane warmonger who wants 'total war' for the sake of it, does not have this power base. Yes, he's Gauleiter of Berlin, Hitler likes him a lot and he's minister of propaganda...but he does just that, propaganda. He doesn't have the SS and police, he doesn't have an air force that bizarrely has its own panzer corps because its boss wants one and he doesn't have an iron grip on the Reich's bureaucracy. So it would make sense if he seeks the aid of the 'true National Socialists' in the military to purge the Reich of the 'degenerates' and bring the 'national revolution' to a victorious conclusion. Throw in some Cultural Revolution style radical student groups who believe the system is failing not because Nazism is bad, but because 'greedy oligarchs and gold pheasants' have corrupted Hitler's 'grand vision'. Then reality hits him, but it's too late to get off the tiger he's been riding.

Last edited:
Throw in some Cultural Revolution style radical student groups who believe the system is failing not because Nazism is bad, but because 'greedy oligarchs' have watered down Hitler's 'grand vision'.
Yeah, Personally ive always been of the opinion that should be the youth movement of the Reich, not the Liberal Reformists and Socialists. You have a entire generation raised on the spoils of the Reich, hearing how glorious the war was and in highly intense indoctrination organizations like Hitler Youth since the age of Grade School. I highly highly doubt their response to all of these things falling into decline is going to be "Our entire lives were a Lie!!!", its more likely to be well...Red Guard Style Fanatcism. Also, in my view at least, a good deconstruction of Facism/Extreme Totalitarianism in general, showing its highly debilitating effects on the youth.

Yeah, Personally ive always been of the opinion that should be the youth movement of the Reich, not the Liberal Reformists and Socialists. You have a entire generation raised on the spoils of the Reich, hearing how glorious the war was and in highly intense indoctrination organizations like Hitler Youth since the age of Grade School. I highly highly doubt their response to all of these things falling into decline is going to be "Our entire lives were a Lie!!!", its more likely to be well...Red Guard Style Fanatcism. Also, in my view at least, a good deconstruction of Facism/Extreme Totalitarianism in general, showing its highly debilitating effects on the youth.
Sorry for the Double post but I just wanted to put this down before I forgot it:

If I were Redoing the Speer Forces, I would have the more genuine Reformists be more like the actual Gang Of Four, older guys and burecrats familiar with a time before the Nazis came to power, who were affilliated with other political movements before joining up with the nazis and other Conservative elements of German society which would not agree with Nazism (For instance alot of Christian, like the Bishop Von Galens). Of course that has the risk of going Clean Werchmart and all which would have to be dealt with. Perhaps show more along the lines that they still took part in the benifits even as they decryed it and that some of the shit they helped wasnt exactly the best to begin with? I dont know exactly.

I think once the German economy tanks, you'd see a plethora of reactions, ranging from cynicism/disillusionment to a stance along the lines of '[insert group] has corrupted the true aims of National Socialism, we must complete the national revolution and purge the wreckers' and finally actual opposition to Nazism.

However, those in the last category would be the smallest group. They'd be very determined and motivated...but also internally divided. Simply rejecting Nazism doesn't automatically mean you all want to go back to democracy. It's a lot easier to unite against a tyrannical regime than to agree on what comes after.

Moreover, we're talking about a generation that was raised under and moulded by National Socialism. Facing the fact that your entire life was a lie is not easy. Even those who turn against it would often not be entirely free of its ideological twaddle, even if only subconsciously. For instance, I could see liberal reformers who genuinely decry the horrible abuses Nazism inflicts on 'Untermenschen' and view the death camps as vile...but still think Slavs, while not sub-human savages, are not equal to 'Aryans' and while German should treat its conquests more leniently, its 'vassals' will have to naturally continue accepting German hegemony and ask 'how high' when Germany says 'jump'.

Of course that has the risk of going Clean Werchmart and all which would have to be dealt with. Perhaps show more along the lines that they still took part in the benifits even as they decryed it and that some of the shit they helped wasnt exactly the best to begin with? I dont know exactly.

I see that dilemma, I think this would be one way to go. Like, for instance, Henning von Tresckow came to be genuinely opposed to the Nazi regime and was one of the motors of the conservative resistance. He was also involved in war crimes in the East. Eduard Wagner, who provided Stauffenberg with a plane to fly to Berlin from Führer headquarters, was one of the architects of the Hunger Plan and cooperated with Heydrich and his Einsatzgruppen. So you could have people who may be opposed to the Nazi regime and want to institute reforms after it fails...but who still have innocent blood on their hands and can have reactionary or racist views, instead of having suddenly experienced a Damascene conversion. Cardinal von Galen condemned the murder of the 'unfit' from the pulpit, but he also supported Operation Barbarossa, calling it a crusade against the 'Bolshevik plague'.

Hell, there were some people in the SS Sicherheitsdienst, of all places, who came to question German eastern policy because it was driving people who hated Communism into the arms of the Soviets...but who still supported murdering Jews.

Hell, some megacorp owners could be part of his support base. This may seem counterintuitive...since restructuring the economy kinda involves cutting them down to size (but then he doesn't have to tell them that), but they've realised the present system is unworkable and want to smoothly transition into one where they can continue to enjoy their profits without having to worry about revolutionary upheavals, civil wars etc. And Speer is a guy they've worked with for many years and trust, unlike say Heydrich or Schörner and his rabid militarists.

Last edited:

brooklyn99

Banned
Indeed. Frankly, when it comes to Socialism within Germany, it should be as dead as Monarchism (which is pretty dead, as the devs have stressed), considering that the youth would have been constantly taught with heavy effort, to venerate Nazi ideals and to despise Communism/Socialism above little else. All the more effective when the war against the WRRF happened not long ago, so the memory of Socialism as a threat would still be influencing minds. As well as the fact that even among the most malcontent and rebellious sectors of the student/youth movement, I really don't think that Marxist, Socialist or adjacent of such ideas, would be an appealing alternative solution to Nazism because the latter, for all that it failed to make good on it's promises, still utterly crushed the standard bearers of the former ideologies in the conflicts of the 1940/1950s that Russia by the 60s would be a Balkanised warzone, which would go far in discrediting their viability.

Which is why that any counterculture that arises within Germany should be one that heavily looks towards the US and their Democratic values and be more primarily LibDem in political orientation. After all, Nazi Germany's hostility with the US was not as zealous nor intense as it was against the USSR/WRRF so would probably be less impressionable on the minds of young Germans. As well as that the US is riding the Cold War smooth-sailing (relatively anyway), compared unfavourably to the turbulent Third Reich or the flat-out wrecked state of what used to be the USSR, meaning their system would look a lot more attractive to the effective bulk of those non-conformists who want change and may see the US as something familiar to the Weimar Democracy in it's liberties for the masses(if you overlook segregation that is, but alas, I'm not sure even the most radical of rebels would be kind on racial matter, since they would still have been moulded within the nazi educational system) yet actually efficient and stable in example. Thus it should mean a great more rapport between the institutional reformists within the government (the GO4) and the activist-orientated student-youth movement.

On the other hand, the USSR put a lot of effort into raising the kids to believe in communism, but by the end literally nobody who wasn't old enough to live under Stalin gave a shit about it.

Maybe brainwashing on a societally-wide scale isn't as efficient as you'd think?

On the other hand, the USSR put a lot of effort into raising the kids to believe in communism, but by the end literally nobody who wasn't old enough to live under Stalin gave a shit about it.

Maybe brainwashing on a societally-wide scale isn't as efficient as you'd think?

It's not. As soon the next generation is not brainwashed, the indoctrination dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.