The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

I ROBOT was the only bit of major studio work he was offered in the 2000s, and only then because it had been in development hell for years... the fact the end product was actually watchable and profitable should be considered a titanic achievement.
If you forget the obvious connection to Isaac's book, & the fact Harlan wrote a script based on it (that any director with half a brain should at least have read before contemplating shooting), yeah, it's not terrible.

I couldn't (& I didn't even like the damn book :rolleyes: ).
When I was able to put aside Asimov and just enjoy I Robot for what it is, it is a fun movie.

Honestly, what happened with Proyas is kind of a Hollywood tragedy.

DARK CITY bombed and then THE MATRIX, which... lets say "generously" ripped off large parts of his movie and made a mint, he went from Up and Comer to on his aas overnight. The Wachowskis ended a lot of careers, including ones they largely ripped off (looks at John Woo).

I ROBOT was the only bit of major studio work he was offered in the 2000s, and only then because it had been in development hell for years... the fact the end product was actually watchable and profitable should be considered a titanic achievement.

Then of course, there was GODS OF EGYPT, a gig he took because of his Egyptian heritage and love of thier mythology... and he was immediately crucified for having a multiethnic cast. Never stood a chance.

I havr said for years... I long to see what kind of movies we would have seen if Alex Proyas and John Woo been the ones to be given blank checks and whatever projects they want for two decades, and the Wachowskis had been kicked to the curb after a couple of cult classics.
Honestly, a film based on ancient Egyptian mythology has the potential to be successful. Especially if the special effects are good enough to make animal-headed people not look ridiculous. Which I think can be done with CG-assisted prosthetics and animatronics. You wouldn't have people complaining about the skin color of the actors when you're talking about bird-men.

While I enjoy the Matrix movies I can see that they're mostly decent action sequences strung together by increasingly pretentious "philosophy". Personally, I'd love for the Matrix franchise to be created ITTL only for it to be taken away from them and given to someone who would give them some actual depth. Let the Wachowskis fade into obscurity making pretentious art films only snobs care about.
If you forget the obvious connection to Isaac's book, & the fact Harlan wrote a script based on it (that any director with half a brain should at least have read before contemplating shooting), yeah, it's not terrible.

I couldn't (& I didn't even like the damn book :rolleyes: ).
When I was able to put aside Asimov and just enjoy I Robot for what it is, it is a fun movie.

It's such a shame that they threw out the core themes of the book to ironically make the kind of story Asimov was sick of reading when he created the three laws.

Does the Leonard the Duck incident still happen, in another form?

Also, how's Malibu Comics and Alan Moore?
I'll kill two birds with one stone with Lenny and Malibu (bad joke, I know). Steve Gerber was working with Disney as a story editor in television animation while writing for Malibu on the side. He orchestrated Leonard's rescue from Marvel and transplanted him in the Malibu universe. However, don't expect a crossover between Leonard and Donald--yet.

As for Alan Moore, he has been working in the independent scene since his time with Malibu ended. He recently received an offer from Gary Carlson that piqued his interest.

Last edited:
As for Alan Moore, he has been working in the independent scene since his time with Malibu ended. He recently received an offer from Gary Carlson that piqued his interest.
I'm guessing this is TTL ABC.

And who is currently doing the 1963 characters?

After doing research on Gary Carlson I have to ask, are you doing my Twilight of the Superheroes with Big Bang Comics characters?

Nice take on Wonder Woman there @Pyro, but I have to say a very white cast. I can imagine a lot of press asking that After Will Smith turned them down could they not find another ethic actor even as they applauded the amount of woman involved.

Otherwise sounds very cool.
I didn't realize it until now, I plan to include Philppus, who will be played by Grace Jones and will play an integral role in the first act of the film.

Similarly, I'm inclined to change Etta Candy's character slightly so that she's a pilot in Steve's squadron and played by Halle Berry.
I'll need to get back to that in the next Malibu update.
After doing research on Gary Carlson I have to ask, are you doing my Twilight of the Superheroes with Big Bang Comics characters?
I can confirm that Alan Moore will be working on the Big Bang characters.

I didn't realize it until now, I plan to include Philppus, who will be played by Grace Jones and will play an integral role in the first act of the film.

Similarly, I'm inclined to change Etta Candy's character slightly so that she's a pilot in Steve's squadron and played by Halle Berry.
You could have Halle Berry play Nu'Bia:
And you can have Margaret Cho play Etta Candy:
margaret-cho-0.jpg

You could have Halle Berry play Nu'Bia:
And you can have Margaret Cho play Etta Candy:
margaret-cho-0.jpg
All right, I will cast Halle Berry as Nu'bia and possibly give her a larger film in a sequel, and Margaret Cho will be Etta Candy because that photograph sold me on the idea.
Could you expand on this, maybe in a PM?
I'm picturing Moore using the Big Bang characters similar to what he did with Supreme OTL.

You have any specific issues in mind?
I'm going to be rereading the Supreme collections soon to mine some ideas.

Anyway, I recently had a burst of inspiration so I have some more posts coming in the pipeline. Here is a general idea of what is to come in the near future.

- Mega Man and the series' jump to the Saturn (will cover Mega Man 7, 8, and X3.)
- Alan Moore's "Big Bang."
- A cinematic overview of 1996.
- Fantastic Four and the prelude to Gene Wars.
-"Justice, Like Lightning."