The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

I wonder if we will see a shake up in female costumes as a result of this? Yes sex sells, and Marvel knows their audience well, but some of what the female characters where fighting in was plain dumb from a defence POV, sure if your She-Hulk tough you can get away with just a leotard, but why is Scarlet Witch in a corset or so many of them in heels?
I was always partial to the uniform she wore pre-Onslaught:

sw-bigcostume7.jpg

Not likely to get a raft of new female characters, or books headed by a female character, but its not impossible depending on if Chase has such an agenda (she did print the Swimsuit Special while EiC OTL) and thinks the market can bear it. Obviously by this point past the POD the OTL Marvel is hardly a guide, but they where famously throwing stuff at the market in this period to see what the audience will buy and if New Warriors, Clan Destine, Doc Samson, Exiles etc can get titles perhaps Cloak and Dagger, Power Pack, Captain Marvel, Sleepwalker etc can get another go?
Captain Marvel will definitely have another go in the near future because Marvel will want to hold onto the trademark. Genis-Vell never materialized ITTL so Monica Rambeau still holds the mantle. Still deciding on whether extend New Warriors vol. 1's run since the title was cancelled in September 1996 OTL--maybe bring Brian K. Vaughn or Joe Kelly on.

Unfortunately I butterflied Thunderbolts out of existence.
We're atmost at the release of one of the pillars of my teenage-hood, Batman Beyond. Will that make an appearance?
I can neither confirm nor deny at this point. Whether it will be under the auspices of the Dini/Timm/Burnett trio is also up in the air.

Last edited:
I kinda liked the Thunderbolts, a team of former villains honestly wanting to redeem themselves. I would love to see them remain ITTL but not led by Baron Zemo and not have them be a deception.

It was the best part, becoming the mask and i loved how Mach 5 aka the Beetle saved Spiderman because his hero persona will have done it and in a moment when he had the possibility to done it and get away with it; plus Zemo during the Thunderbolts run had become a credible antihero, someone that finally question why he is doing this and start some heavy reflection about his family and future while at the same time remaining a magnificent bastard

plus Zemo during the Thunderbolts run had become a credible antihero, someone that finally question why he is doing this and start some heavy reflection about his family and future while at the same time remaining a magnificent
We could even run with this idea by having Helmet Zemo choosing the Citizen V name in an attempt to make amends for his father killing the original Citizen V. Or maybe have John Watkins III and the V-Battalion creating the Thunderbolts to help redeem villain just like the original Iron Cross.

We could even run with this idea by having Helmet Zemo choosing the Citizen V name in an attempt to make amends for his father killing the original Citizen V. Or maybe have John Watkins III and the V-Battalion creating the Thunderbolts to help redeem villain just like the original Iron Cross.

Zemo transformation was slow and IMVHO carefully planned to be believable, he don't become this antihero from day one, instead is an incremental process and in many case he basically use his world domination plan to instead make the planet a better place; the V-Battalion seem more this 'only - family' affair...and honestly even more ruthless of Zemo

I was always partial to the uniform she wore pre-Onslaught:

sw-bigcostume7.jpg

Captain Marvel will definitely have another go in the near future because Marvel will want to hold onto the trademark. Genis-Vell never materialized ITTL so Monica Rambeau still holds the mantle. Still deciding on whether extend New Warriors vol. 1's run since the title was cancelled in September 1996 OTL--maybe bring Brian K. Vaughn or Joe Kelly on.

Unfortunately I butterflied Thunderbolts out of existence.

I can neither confirm nor deny at this point. Whether it will be under the auspices of the Dini/Timm/Burnett trio is also up in the air.
That costume is better, but still has heels and bare shoulders.

Monica as Capt Marvel works for me. I got introduced to her in Secret Wars and really liked the character, only found out about Mar-Vel later and thought she got cheated from her name (twice now OTL) and never used enough. Wanted more Volcana too.

Avenger era Sandman would make a great mentor for a team of villains trying to go straight- just make sure Byrne does not get his claws into Baker and ‘reset’ him as a villain ‘cos he should be’. Hawkeye works too.

Maybe have the FF still vanish for a while (big off world plot in their own book, and the Noob team ‘babysits’ their HQ for a while and deals with FF villains, and wacky inter dimensional stuff?

Chapter 65 - Clash of the Titans, Part 2
Nintendo, especially its president, Hiroshi Yamauchi, felt that it had little to fear from the upstart Sega in the autumn of 1996. The Super Nintendo Entertainment System had outsold the Mega Drive/Genesis by almost twenty million units worldwide and he was confident that the Nintendo 64 would similarly prevail. Sales had been strong in Japan and the company had strong support from second parties like Rareware, who were hard at work developing Goldeneye 007 and Banjo-Kazooie for the console. Not even the party-crashing Sonic the Hedgehog 4 could slow Nintendo’s momentum…

…and it didn’t, for the most part.

The Nintendo 64 launched in North America to much fanfare on September 26, 1996 with Super Mario 64 as the console’s crown jewel. As one might expect, Mario’s leap to the third dimension was a complete game changer for the series. Returning to the series was his brother Luigi for a multiplayer experience with co-operative and competitive modes where the former was required to collect harder-to-reach power stars [1]. Also assisting the brothers in their quest to liberate Princess Peach’s castle are new power-ups like the Wing/Invisibility/Metal caps as well the return of the venerable Fire Flower in some levels.

In contrast to the largely-linear Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Super Mario 64 emphasized open world exploration and mission-based gameplay that rewarded players with Power Stars that unlocked more areas of the castle and more levels. Indeed, reviewers tended to rate SM64 higher than Sonic 4 for that reason though the game received some criticism for its unreliable camera system.

The Nintendo 64 sold a half-million units at launch, but cracks began appearing in the company’s dominance of the market. Most notable of these were Nintendo’s strict licensing policies and its decision to stick to the cartridge format that alienated third parties. Capcom had publicly split from Nintendo when it had announced that not only would its Street Fighter and Mega Man series be Saturn-exclusive, but also Resident Evil, which had gained universal acclaim. The biggest blow came when Sony Computer Entertainment successfully courted Squaresoft and Enix, who announced that they would continue the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series on the Saturn.

This lack of critical third-party support resulted in a noticeable drought of games with on 8 available for the entirety of 1996. [2] Meanwhile, the Saturn boasted a much larger library that included hits like Tomb Raider that appealed to teenagers and young adults on sex appeal or Twisted Metal 2 for its violent mayhem. By contrast, Nintendo 64 was quickly gaining the largely un-earned reputation as the “kiddie” system.

Another worrying sign was that sales of Sonic 4 and SM64 were neck-in-neck throughout the 1996 holiday season. Some observers would claim that this was because the Saturn had been on the market for a year, but many fans of the Blue Blur were also waiting for both the price-drop and Sonic 4 before committing to the Saturn. Meanwhile, high demand for the Nintendo 64 caused shortages (albeit temporary) hampered sales of SM64, allowing Sonic 4 to take the (slight) lead and bloody their rival’s nose.

While the Nintendo 64 was a success by any objective measure. Mario’s inability to leave Sonic in the dust in tandem with rumblings from third party developers demonstrated that the Big N’s days of dominance were numbered.

[1]Which Nintendo cut from the game earlier in its development OTL.

[2] Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Cruisin’ USA, Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey, Killer Instinct Gold, Wave Race 64, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

DeFalco felt that he did all he could do in the position and had expressed a desire to return to writing full time by taking the reins of Amazing Spider-Man.
This reminds me, but with Spider-Man retiring, does Mayday Parker exist in the regular 616 comic timeline? In OTL she was a ‘stillborn’/kidnapped by Norman (a plot point which has sadly never been resolved), but I hope she lives ITTL.

BONUS: The Genesis's Swan Song and the Hedgehog Goes Hollywood
gen_sonic_3d_blast_p_dgqnbl.jpg

Lost in the hype of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was the Blue Blur’s final outing on the Sega Genesis: Sonic 3D Blast. Co-developed with UK-based Traveller’s Tales, the game differed from its predecessors by utilizing an isometric perspective and pre-rendered sprites to made it appear three-dimensional. Unfortunately, the game received mixed reviews from critics. While it received praise for pushing the graphical limits of the aging Genesis hardware and the music by Jun Senoue, most were not impressed with the somewhat slippery controls. Still, the game was commercially successful and a fine sendoff to the system that challenged Nintendo’s dominance.

The same could not be said about its Game Gear counterpart. While Sonic Blast’s prerendered graphics should’ve been a marvel for the handheld, but received disdain from critics who also disliked the sluggish controls and rushed presentation. As such, the Sega portable died with a whimper while the February release of Pocket Monsters Red and Green injected new life into its competitor, the Game Boy. With the cancellation of Project Venus [1], Sega put those resources into the Game Gear’s successor: Project Titan, named after Saturn’s moon.

This time Sega would mimic as much of its rival’s design philosophy and overcome the technical shortcomings that plagued the Game Gear such as its atrocious battery life. Takao Miyoshi, who produced Sonic 3D Blast would be assigned to the planned “Sonic Titan” project—however, Sega realized that the system would need more than the company mascot to get the new portable off the ground. The immense popularity of the Tamagotchi virtual pets during the 1996 holiday season did not go unnoticed by the company, particularly Tom Kalinske, who convince Hayao Nakayama to meet with Bandai to hammer out a licensing agreement.

Indeed, under the utmost secrecy, Sega and Bandai would not only co-develop a Tamagotchi game for Project Titan, but also one for its upcoming virtual pet: Digital Monsters. [2]

tg-1.png

Lastly, the runaway (no pun intended) success of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 finally convinced Sega to finally announce the start of production on a Sonic film. While Kalinske had been wary of damaging the brand after the financial and critical failures of Super Mario Bros. And Street Fighter, but ultimately gave the green light. Little was known about the project other than that Richard Jefferies wrote the screenplay and its tentative Summer 1998 release with Sony Pictures as co-producer. [3]

[1] Or the Sega Nomad as we know it OTL.

[2] With Tamagotchi marketed towards girls and Digimon marketed to boys.

[3] Sega partnered up with MGM for the Sonic film in 1994 OTL, but Sony had won the film rights as part of their partnership with Sega on the Saturn TTL.

Last edited:
This reminds me, but with Spider-Man retiring, does Mayday Parker exist in the regular 616 comic timeline? In OTL she was a ‘stillborn’/kidnapped by Norman (a plot point which has sadly never been resolved), but I hope she lives ITTL.
May lives the happy and carefree life of an infant with Peter and MJ as Norman Obsorn stayed dead ITTL though her parents wish that she would stop crawling up the nursery walls. :p

Lastly, the runaway (no pun intended) success of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 finally convinced Sega to finally announce the start of production on a Sonic film. While Kalinske had been wary of damaging the brand after the financial and critical failures of Super Mario Bros. And Street Fighter, but ultimately gave the green light. Little was known about the project other than that Richard Jefferies wrote the screenplay and its tentative Summer 1998 release with Sony Pictures as co-producer. [3]
I do wonder if Sony would push for a cartoon rather than any sort of live-action. With CGI barely out of the crib and Sonic being very much a kid-oriented brand (and thus not worried about being seen as a kiddie cartoon) it'd make a lot more sense to get some sort of cartoon vs any live-action film.

As such, the Sega portable died with a whimper while the February release of Pocket Monsters Red and Green injected new life into its competitor, the Game Boy.
Instead of killing Sean's portable you should get Gunpei Bloom to redesign it, maybe into something similar to the WonderSwan:
Indeed, under the utmost secrecy, Sega and Bandai would not only co-develop a Tamagotchi game for Project Titan, but also one for its upcoming virtual pet: Digital Monsters. [2]
With Sega working with Bandai ITTL just reinforces my previous suggestion.

I do wonder if Sony would push for a cartoon rather than any sort of live-action. With CGI barely out of the crib and Sonic being very much a kid-oriented brand (and thus not worried about being seen as a kiddie cartoon) it'd make a lot more sense to get some sort of cartoon vs any live-action film.
Sony and Sega will be looking at traditional animation for TTL's Sonic the Hedgehog film for those very reasons. The question is which animation studio should they turn to?
Instead of killing Sean's portable you should get Gunpei Bloom to redesign it, maybe into something similar to the WonderSwan:
With Sega working with Bandai ITTL just reinforces my previous suggestion.
Sega discontinued the Game Gear in 1997 OTL, but with the company not having released the 32X or the Nomad and a more successful Saturn TTL, they have more resources to dedicate to its successor. As I see it, Project Titan (or the soon-to-be called Sega Titan) will have much in common with the WonderSwan including the NEC V30 MZ processor as its main CPU.

Sony and Sega will be looking at traditional animation for TTL's Sonic the Hedgehog film for those very reasons. The question is which animation studio should they turn to?

Sega discontinued the Game Gear in 1997 OTL, but with the company not having released the 32X or the Nomad and a more successful Saturn TTL, they have more resources to dedicate to its successor. As I see it, Project Titan (or the soon-to-be called Sega Titan) will have much in common with the WonderSwan including the NEC V30 MZ processor as its main CPU.
Well if I can make a recommendation for studios, how about Gallop? Yes, the same studio behind Yu-Gi-Oh. But one thing people seem to forget is that Gallop also did these shows:

Well if I can make a recommendation for studios, how about Gallop? Yes, the same studio behind Yu-Gi-Oh. But one thing people seem to forget is that Gallop also did these shows:
I will have to make a note of that.
Something tells me that Nintendo’s gonna be bonked in the head when it comes to the gaming industry.
Well, it's more like Sega played it smarter by partnering with Sony and not burning the goodwill of the fanbase with the 32X and Nomad. Nintendo is more or less doing what it was doing OTL so I don't believe that the Nintendo 64 will be a bust.

I have been giving some thought to having the butterflies spare Gunpei Yokoi's life. What would be you, the readers, thoughts on what would happen?