The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

Chapter 57 - Justice Be Done
Despite the deaths of most of its original members in Countdown, DC Comics was preparing a new era for the venerable Justice Society of America that focused on its heirs. The roots for this endeavour started with James Robinson’s critically-acclaimed run on Starman, which focused on the trials and adventures of the Jack Knight, the younger son of the original Golden Age character. Robinson’s success as well as that of Countdown’s led to the greenlighting of an Hourman mini-series by Mirage Studios alum, Paul Jenkins, and Rich Veitch that spun directly out of the crossover. [1]

Much like Starman, Hourman focused on Rick Tyler, son of the original Hourman (Rex Tyler), who grew addicted to the Miraclo drug that gave him and his father superpowers for sixty minutes. Though it released under the Vertigo label due to the depiction of drug use, the series did take place within DC continuity and dealt with the heavy topics of grief, loss, and addiction. One particular element of the series was how Veitch altered his style to depict Rick’s distorted state of mind in a style similar to artists of the Golden and Silver Age. Eventually, Miraclo’s side effects Rick to becoming erratic and violent, to the point of acting more like an anti-hero, forcing his old teammates from Infinity Inc. To intervene after a battle with Solomon Grundy almost turns Rick into a rampaging monster (figuratively) similar to his opponent.

With the support of the recently-resurrected Beth Chapel (Dr. Mid-Nite II), Rick is able to overcome the effects of withdrawal and come to terms with this father’s death. He admits at Rex Tyler’s grave that he will never be the man his father was, but promises that he will redeem himself and uphold the Tyler name. It is there that Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, and Ted Knight approach him with a box containing both a letter from Rex Tyler and a non-addictive version of Miraclo—Rex tell Rick that this new formula will allow him to continue to Hourman legacy, but lets Rick know that he will be proud of him no matter what path he chooses. Rick accepts the box, but the mini-series ends on an ambiguous note as he walks off.

Hourman was every bit the critical darling as Starman before it and even earned Jenkins an Eisner Award. With two successful “Golden Age” books under its belt, DC Comics was confident in releasing Justice Society of America as a collaboration between Robinson, Jenkins, and artist Dale Eaglesham. While Jay Garrick and Alan Scott returned to active duty, the former members of Infinity Inc. would comprise the majority of the initial lineup. [2]

Justice Society of America #1 confirms that Rick Tyler did indeed accept his father’s gift and resumed the mantle of Hourman while Al Rothstein assumed the name of Atom Smasher as a tribute to the late Al Pratt. The first story arc involved Kent and Inza Nelson who enlist the team and the less-scrupulous treasure hutner, Jared Stevens, in recovering the Helmet of Nabu and other relics before the sorceror, Wotan. While Wotan bests the Nelsons and slays them, Stevens assumes the mantle of Fate and with the assistance of the JSA, imprisons Wotan deep inside the Tower of Fate. However, Jared Stevens will continue to struggle with the responsibility he now shoulders as well as his own vices.

Indeed, the team would only grow as the second arc involved Dream of the Endless, with the blessing of Neil Gaiman to bring back not only Lyta Trevor-Hall AKA Fury into the fold, but also a resurrected Hector Hall who would bear the mantle of Sandman once more. Sales on Justice Society of America exceeded expectations and for a few months in 1997 exceeded those of Justice League. Indeed, the revitalized interest in the Golden Age heroes did not go unnoticed by executives at Warner Bros. Who were looking for a “fresh” take on the Scarlet Speedster.

[1] Jenkins had, in fact, written a proposal for an Hourman mini-series OTL. This proposal would later turn into what would become the Sentry at Marvel. (Source)

The background on that was pretty interesting. Originally, I had written a proposal for DC Comics' Hourman character because I was intrigued by the notion of a superhero addicted to his power. At least, that was my pitch to DC and it went nowhere. At Karen Berger's urging I created a character that would stand by itself, which I originally called the Sentinel, then the Sentry. Both DC and Marvel rejected this about six or seven times each! But after Jae and I did so well with "Inhumans," we were approached with the keys to the city, so to speak. I really wanted to do the Sentry, which was met with a rousing chorus of complete indifference. But once I had a chance to really describe the character to Joe, he could kind of see the vision I had for it. Launching a new character is pretty tough, and required a lot of effort and attention. They came up with the crazy marketing plan about it being one of Stan's lost characters. I have personally always loved the way we did that because I got to name the fake artist "Artie Rosen" after Sam Rosen and Artie Simek, two of Marvels early letterers!

[2] The initial line-up for the first arc is: Flash (Jay Garrick), Sentinel (Alan Scott), Dr. Mid-Nite II, Wildcat II, Starman VII (Jack Knight), Hourman II, Atom Smasher (Al Rothstein), Obsidian, and Jesse Quick.

When you say it outsold Justice League, do you mean JLA or the pre-JLA incarnation?
Pre-JLA. Justice League will likely get a post-Claremont relaunch in the future. DC has been leaning towards "legacy numbering" of their titles and the current JL title will be building up to #400, combining the numbering of the original Justice League of America (vol. 1) with the current Justice League. Other contenders will be:
  • Wonder Woman #500 (current volume #171)
  • The Flash #500 (current volume #150)
  • Green Lantern #300 (current volume #76)
  • Aquaman #100 (combining vol. 1 and 4, but leaving out the mini-series. Current volume #24)
...and so forth. Some like Superboy will keep their current numbering because they are effectively new characters.

Last edited:
It’s nice that DC have gone a different route here to OTL, a relaunched Golden Age is very cool.

Be interesting to see the other companies response.

Thought I would address this:
Any chance of saving the 1997 Steel film? Who could replace Shaquille O'Neil? Were there any other cringy parts that need to be changed?
As I see it, Superman '95 being a billion-dollar hit would definitely place TTL's production of Steel under more scrutiny. For one, I believe that would emphasize the character's connection to Superman in the marketing and perhaps attempt to sneak in a cameo from Brendan Fraser. A rough plot in my head would involve John Henry Irons opposing his former employer, Arm-Tek, who were selling his inventions under the table to hostile powers and actors. He quits and relocates to his old neighbourhood of Suicide Slum in Metropolis only to learn that Arm-Tek is also selling to local gangs. A chance encounter with Superman inspires him to take matters into his own hands and create the Steel armour to stop the escalating gang violence.

Depending on how things go, perhaps Jefferson Pierce (Black Lightning) or Jose Delgato (Gangbuster) could be a supporting character.

Thought I would address this:

As I see it, Superman '95 being a billion-dollar hit would definitely place TTL's production of Steel under more scrutiny. For one, I believe that would emphasize the character's connection to Superman in the marketing and perhaps attempt to sneak in a cameo from Brendan Fraser. A rough plot in my head would involve John Henry Irons opposing his former employer, Arm-Tek, who were selling his inventions under the table to hostile powers and actors. He quits and relocates to his old neighbourhood of Suicide Slum in Metropolis only to learn that Arm-Tek is also selling to local gangs. A chance encounter with Superman inspires him to take matters into his own hands and create the Steel armour to stop the escalating gang violence.

Depending on how things go, perhaps Jefferson Pierce (Black Lightning) or Jose Delgato (Gangbuster) could be a supporting character.
Who do you see replacing Shaw in the film? Terry Crew is still to fresh off his retirement from the NFL to be big enough to get the role, Tiny Lister's type casting (as bad guys) and eye makes him not seem quite right (but maybe one of the gang members) and while Ving Rhames has the right size he just doesn't seem right to me either, the same with Michael Clarke Duncan.

Edit: Morris Chestnut seem a good possible choice.

Last edited:
Who do you see replacing Shaw in the film? Terry Crew is still to fresh off his retirement from the NFL to be big enough to get the role, Tiny Lister's type casting (as bad guys) and eye makes him not seem quite right (but maybe one of the gang members) and while Ving Rhames has the right size he just doesn't seem right to me either, the same with Michael Clarke Duncan.

Edit: Morris Chestnut seem a good possible choice./
He might be too old for this role, but how about Denzel Washington

Chapter 58 - Iron Man (1996)
Iron Man (1996)
Directed by Andrew Davis
Story by David Koepp
Produced by Marvel/Lightstorm Entertainment/Tri-Star Pictures

Starring
Pierce Brosnan as Tony Stark/Iron Man
Holly Hunter as Virgina "Pepper Potts"
Cuba Gooding Jr. as Lt. James "Rhodey" Rhodes
Charleton Heston as Justin Hammer
Pat Morita as Professor Ho Yinsen
Gary Busey as The Ghost
Dolph Lundgren as Boris Bullski/Titanium Man
Ron Perlman as Nicholas Fury

Released: May 31, 1996

Budget: $100 Million
Box Office Gross: $591 Million​

Marvel was slightly apprehensive as Iron Man’s May 31 release loomed. Though test screenings had been generally favourable, comic fans were a dedicated and hard-to-please lot. Especially if one had traversed the online forums and newsgroups on the burgeoning Internet. One particular problem some observers had with the Iron Avenger was anachronistic origin that tied directly into the Vietnam War. While the comic series sidestepped by describing it as the “Southeast Asian Conflict” post-Cataclysm, screenwriter David Koepp made a bold decision in changing the setting to South America instead of Asia. A leak revealed this change, which lit a fire on many message boards, but met with apathy from general audiences.

Indeed, Tony Stark was still the boozing, womanizing, billionaire playboy philanthropist that he was in the comics and indeed the first twenty minutes of the film showcases his glamorous life as CEO of Stark Enterprises. Tony himself appears unconcerned with company being one of the country’s largest arms manufactures and even acerbically mocks a large crowd of protesters gathered outside one of his factories from the back of his limousine. Yet for all the money has in the bank and women willing to throw themselves at his feet, the one thing he can’t have is his chief financial officer, Pepper Potts, who is a no-nonsense 90s career woman and the only person on the planet capable of taking him down a peg.

Pepper is concerned with falling share prices and a potential hostile takeover bid by Hammer Industries, an even more unscrupulous concern rumoured to be selling weapons to anyone willing to pay—even terrorists. Tony being as flippant as he is confident that he can fend off Hammer who he views as a frail old man. So he flies out to the fictional South American nation, Santo Marco [1] for a weapons demonstration.

Said country is in the midst of a civil war between the ruling military junta and various rebel groups. Since American companies have invested in the country’s sizable oil reverses, Stark is looking to sell his most advanced weapons to the junta. What Stark does not realize is that Justin Hammer had been collaborating with the rebels to abduct and kill Stark in his bid to take over of Stark Enterprises. Thus to rebels attack Stark’s convoy with a piece of shrapnel hitting close to his heart. Only an improvised device by fellow prisoner Ho Yinsen keeps him alive. While Hammer wanted Stark dead, the rebel leader Mendoza [2] (whose group is also a major drug cartel to fund their civil war) seeks to use Stark’s intelligence to build him advanced weapons to bring down the junta and him to power.

Yinsen, a physicist who Stark admired since his days at Cambridge, openly questions Stark and the legacy he wants to leave behind: as war monger who brought nothing but destruction, or a builder. Convinced that he does not want to be remembered as the former, Stark sets out to build a set of armour that will allow him to escape Mendoza’s camp with Yinsen. However, Yinsen dies to give Tony’s armour the time needed to power up. A helpless Tony watches Mendoza’s men mercilessly gun Yinsen down and goes berserk by destroying Mendoza’s camp and drug operation before the Lt. Jim Rhodes and the USMC rescue him.

However, life does not go back to normal for Tony, who suffers PTSD as a result of his captivity. His turns to the bottle [3] and retreats into his personal laboratory at Stark Enterprises’ Long Island complex where he continues to refine his armour. Tony’s sullen and withdrawn demeanour concern both Pepper and Rhodes, as Hammer seizes upon the turmoil to redouble his takeover attempts. Neither of them seem able to break through until Nick Fury sneaks into the complex confronts a drunken Stark.

Fury, who never gave Stark a complete debriefing, takes a look at the prototypes in the lab and remarks that Stark had “been busy” since returning to the states. He continues to grill Tony, confesses his feelings of guilt over not being able to save Yinsen from Mendoza’s men. Fury’s expression softens somewhat until P.L.A.T.O. [4] warns Stark of an intruder: the industrial saboteur known as the Ghost. Despite Fury’s warnings, Tony dons the Mark 2 armour and leaves to confront the intruder.

However, the battle goes poorly as the inebriated Stark can barely stand, much less aim, allowing the Ghost to get in close and use his intangibility move his arm through Stark’s damaged heart. He would have killed Stark if not for Fury’s intervention and the Head of S.H.I.E.L.D. takes Tony to the hospital. Once Tony regains consciousness, Fury later tells him that he had watched many friends and comrades die. As a piece of parting advice he tells Tony that life had given him a second chance and it would’ve been a shame if he wasted it on a drunken brawl.

Meanwhile, the Ghost recounts his run-in with an “iron man” to Justin Hammer, who deduces that it had to be Stark after what he had learned of what happened at Mendoza’s camp. Thus Hammer has his own engineers build a copy of the armour (from plans stolen by Ghost) to build a Titanium Man to counter Stark’s Iron Man and hires Russian mercenary, Boris Bullski, to don it and raze Stark’s Long Island headquarters.

Tony Stark had used the interim time to recover and even lets Pepper and Rhodes in on his little project: The Mark III armour. Rhodes remarks the army and S.H.I.E.L.D. to pay top dollar for it, but Tony dismisses the notions saying that he’s sick of being, “the merchant of death” and wants to use it to make a real difference. However, Bullski/Titanium Man attacks the complex and forces Stark into the Mark III. Bullski’s combat experience and tactical prowess give him an edge early in the fight, which nearly took Pepper’s life when a partial collapse nearly buries her. Stark rescues her and soon realizes that the Titanium Man armour is nearly a copy of his Mark II armour so he exploits its weaknesses to disarm Bullski and allows S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.

“Iron Man” then goes off to confront Justin Hammer at his penthouse, which results in Hammer suffering a heart attack. While Tony contemplates letting the old man die after all the suffering he inflicted on the world, but keeps him alive long enough to EMTs to arrive. He realizes that he won’t let his legacy become like Hammer’s and ends the film with an announcement that Stark Enterprises will no longer be in the arms business moving forward. Well Pepper expresses her concern for the company’s future, Tony smiles and assures her that he’ll think of something.

The film includes a mid-credits scene where Fury approaches Tony after an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. He comments on events from the Spider-Man film and Magneto’s attack on Washington from X-Men and how humanity needs a first line of defense. Tony brushes him off at first, telling him that he’s out of the weapons business. Fury replies that he doesn’t want weapons, he wants the Iron Man for his Avengers project.

Iron Man defied expectations with a worldwide gross of well over half a billion dollars. What surprised many observers was that the film attracted quite a large following of female viewers [5] who definitely helped with good word of mouth despite some fan grumbling over the tweaked origin. However, many within the industry understood how Marvel was supposed to be reflective of the times and events in South America (particularly in regards to the War on Drugs) were more reflective than Vietnam. Similarly, the hint of a potential Avengers film hyped up fans and moviegoers who had grown curious with this burgeoning “cinematic universe.” Marvel would later announce plans for The Incredible Hulk and Captain America and while Tony Stark had left the weapons industry behind, he helped accelerate a new arms race in theatres.

[1] The nation itself first appeared in 1964’s X-Men #4.

[2] ...and yes. I did take the name from the McBain films from the Simpsons-verse.

[3] With influence from the seminal Iron Man storyline, “Demon in a Bottle.”

[4] An artificial intelligence inspired by the one from the Force Works comic.

[5] Interestingly Iron Man had a sizable female readership in the sixties, apparently.

Last edited:
This Iron Man does not sound too bad at all. Covers all the Origin basics without the end revel of the OTL.

Do they change the armour design much going from page to screen?

Last edited:
Do they change the armour design much going from page to screen?
The movie will be most similar to the Mark 9 armour from the comics.
clean.jpg

Iron Man (1996)
Directed by Andrew Davis
Story by David Koepp
Produced by Marvel/Lightstorm Entertainment/Tri-Star Pictures

Starring
Pierce Brosnan as Tony Stark/Iron Man
Holly Hunter as Virgina "Pepper Potts"
Cuba Gooding Jr. as Lt. James "Rhodey" Rhodes
Charleton Heston as Justin Hammer
Pat Morita as Professor Ho Yinsen
Gary Busey as The Ghost
Dolph Lundgren as Boris Bullski/Titanium Man
Ron Perlman as Nicholas Fury

Released: May 31, 1996

Budget: $100 Million
Box Office Gross: $591​
I like the cast except for Ron Perlman as Nick Fury.
In 1995-96 you could still get some Korean war era actors like Clint Eastwood, James Garner, Charlton Heston, or Roy Scheider to pass as a WW2 Soldier who took care of himself

In 1995-96 you could still get some Korean war era actors like Clint Eastwood, James Garner, Charlton Heston, or Roy Scheider to pass as a WW2 Soldier who took care of himself
Part of my inspiration for my casting Ron Perlman into the role was a wink and a nod to David Hesselhoff's OTL casting of the character in the telefilm. Something that would make fans roll their eyes a bit.

As for casting a man in his mid-40s in the role, this alt-MCU is much closer to the comics so Nick had been taking the Infinity Formula since around 1946.

The Actor who I thought was a good choice for Fury was Tim Thomerson

Dynamic Duo should be next on the film slate, which will also mention The Phantom. However, I thought I would stoke some more conversation on 1997's films, particularly Wonder Woman and Fantastic Four. I have not decided on the cast for either so go ahead and throw your suggestions into the hat. Spider-Man 2 will also see release that year, but most of the cast is returning though I haven't decided on which Spidey villain to use as of yet.