Urine is cheaper than brains. That's a sentence I never imagined I'd write. Anyway, I imagine that brains would be used by rural peasants who have greater access to brains and less access to urine (just as you surmised). Brains would also be used to create leather for the nobility who would prize the quality over the cost.
With no wool from sheep or goats*, and cotton having to be imported from long distances, I think there's definitely room in the textile market for buckskin. I am glad that such a classic staple of many traditional Native cultures survives, even if it is reduced in importance (for now, anyway-could become a hot trade item when the Norse show up).

*don't know if you can breed an equivalent to angora rabbits from cottontails, but it's a fun idea

Last edited:
*don't know if you can breed an equivalent to angora rabbits from cottontails, but it's a fun idea

I don't see why not. It would probably be pretty expensive though.

Who are the Tunica and Yuchi?

I haven't mentioned them before but they are based on the real Tunica and Yuchi peoples. ITTL the Tunica will live in the central Mississippi valley, basically West Tennessee and Arkansas and the Yuchi will live in the Nashville basin of Middle Tennessee.

How is the southwest faring ITTL? Has the migration of the ancestors of the Navajo been butterflied at this point?

Last edited:

Ultimately they do breed like, well, rabbits, so if you get something established it could spread fast. Meat and fur in a package that grows and reproduces quickly is a nice thing to have. That said, cottontails are not social animals like European rabbits, so that might make keeping them problematic. How to keep them without metal anyhow would be an exercise, since they'll chew through cane cages quickly.

Tbf if you find a bunch with the initial mutations I defo see the Native Americans separating them from the other rabbits to breed them.

I do think something like a domesticated goat or sheep species after manoomin, maize and potatoes spreads to the Rockies tho especially since they have elk chariots at the very least.

How to keep them without metal anyhow would be an exercise, since they'll chew through cane cages quickly.

You put them in artificial burrows on artificial islands so they don't run away:

Chapter 3: Beast Master

Eastern Cottontail Rabbits were routinely hunted by the Menominee. They were used for their meat and fur. Rabbit pelts are warm, soft, and light but also thin and easily torn. Rabbit meat was prized. The exact process of rabbit domestication is not known.

Rabbits are natural diggers and cannot easily be placed in a cage with a dirt floor. They also cannot abide the mud of the wetlands created by rice bogs. To solve this problem, the Menominee created artificial warrens to house the rabbits.

Dry soil was piled into an oblong mound and surrounded by a ditch filled with water. Inside the mounds were chambers, dug by the rabbits or by people, where the rabbits mated, gave birth and raised their families. Similar structures, called pillow mounds, were used in medieval Europe.

View attachment 821151
A Pillow Mound[2]

Humans would guard the mounds from predators and poachers. When the time came, nets and dogs were used to catch the rabbits. Special breeds of small dogs were used to dig through the tunnels of the warren and capture the rabbits inside.

Rabbits were also used as pets for children but this was fairly rare.

BTW, this is how actual domesticated rabbits were kept prior to metal cages. It is not my invention.

That said, cottontails are not social animals like European rabbits, so that might make keeping them problematic.

They are not asocial and do sometimes congregate in groups. All you have to do is cull the unfriendly ones. After a few generations, you get a domesticated rabbit population that is entirely friendly.

I do think something like a domesticated goat or sheep species after manoomin, maize and potatoes spreads to the Rockies tho especially since they have elk chariots at the very least.

We will talk about rocky mountain domesticates when we get there. But talk about elk chariots is premature. The *Menominee aren't using wheels for anything other than toys at the moment.

Interesting. I've seen cottontails swimming. I don't imagine it's something they necessarily do for fun, but they can.

All rabbits can swim but generally prefer not to. If you are feeding them and keeping predators away from the island, they will mostly stay there. Then when you want to harvest them, you put nets over the holes in the burrow and use dogs to dig them out.

Again, not my invention. If you want to read more, you can here: https://norfolktalesmyths.wordpress.com/tag/pillow-mounds/

Understood. I'm more surprised that it would work, they can be slippery little creatures. Trying to keep them out of a garden, even with steel fence and a dog that has a taste for rabbits can be difficult.

You put them in artificial burrows on artificial islands so they don't run away:

BTW, this is how actual domesticated rabbits were kept prior to metal cages. It is not my invention.

They are not asocial and do sometimes congregate in groups. All you have to do is cull the unfriendly ones. After a few generations, you get a domesticated rabbit population that is entirely friendly.
All rabbits can swim but generally prefer not to. If you are feeding them and keeping predators away from the island, they will mostly stay there. Then when you want to harvest them, you put nets over the holes in the burrow and use dogs to dig them out.

Again, not my invention. If you want to read more, you can here: https://norfolktalesmyths.wordpress.com/tag/pillow-mounds/
Despite appearances, Cottontail (and New World Rabbits in general) just aren't that similar to European Rabbits though. The warren system works for European rabbits because it adapts their natural shelters. European Rabbits are social and live in burrows. Cottontails are relatively territorial and nest in above ground depressions. That doesn't translate over well to replicating the same system in the New World. There's further difficulty in that while European Rabbits don't prefer swimming, Cottontails often live in swamps and marshes and certain members of the species complex are noted as excellent swimmers.
vfab026f0001.jpeg

From Somerville, A. D. & Sugiyama, N. Why were New World rabbits not domesticated? Animal Frontiers 11, 62–68 (2021).

That's not to say I agree with Somerville and Sugiyama's conclusion that New World Rabbits aren't domesticable, but replicating the Old World system is unlikely to do it, nor do I see it as likely to be developed, as noted above. Besides that, the warren system used for European Rabbits is a thoroughly directed pathway mechanism, and directed domestication started occurring well after earlier prey pathway domestications. Since Rabbit domestication occurs relatively early in your timeline, prey pathway mechanisms should easily suffice for domestication. I'd propose that the Guinea Pig would be a better analog than the the European Rabbit with regards to mechanism.

From Somerville, A. D. & Sugiyama, N. Why were New World rabbits not domesticated? Animal Frontiers 11, 62–68 (2021).

If you are going to cite an article at least have the decency to link it directly, especially when the full thing is available online. https://academic.oup.com/af/article/11/3/62/6306449

Now, to get to the article itself, I will say this. I think that article looks very carefully at a tree, makes some good observations about that tree, but completely misses the forest around it. That is to say, they look at the behavior and traits of rabbits and never at the people raising them. They assume that if cottontails had been domesticable then people would have domesticated them. Instead, they should ask why people should bother domesticating them rather than just killing them.

They also do not consider that domestication is not easily detectable in rabbit remains. Coloration changes were not seen in domesticated rabbits until the 1500s and skeletal changes (like size) did not come about until the 1700s. This in spite of the fact that we know rabbits have been raised by humans for much longer. (Source, not a completely academic one but still.) Perhaps the rabbits at Teotihuacan were domesticated but the lineage did not survive the fall of the city . We would not be able to easily tell.

That's not to say I agree with Somerville and Sugiyama's conclusion that New World Rabbits aren't domesticable, but replicating the Old World system is unlikely to do it, nor do I see it as likely to be developed, as noted above. Besides that, the warren system used for European Rabbits is a thoroughly directed pathway mechanism, and directed domestication started occurring well after earlier prey pathway domestications. Since Rabbit domestication occurs relatively early in your timeline, prey pathway mechanisms should easily suffice for domestication. I'd propose that the Guinea Pig would be a better analog than the the European Rabbit with regards to mechanism.
Despite appearances, Cottontail (and New World Rabbits in general) just aren't that similar to European Rabbits though. The warren system works for European rabbits because it adapts their natural shelters. European Rabbits are social and live in burrows. Cottontails are relatively territorial and nest in above ground depressions. That doesn't translate over well to replicating the same system in the New World. There's further difficulty in that while European Rabbits don't prefer swimming, Cottontails often live in swamps and marshes and certain members of the species complex are noted as excellent swimmers.

Cottontails were kept together in Teotihuacan. The article you cited noted this. Their territoriality was not too big of a problem. As you long as you keep the rabbits on the island, they can make whatever shelters they want.

As for swimming, marsh rabbits=/= eastern cottontails. European rabbits swim. Hell, domesticated rabbits sometimes swim just for fun. The point isn't to stop all of them from running away all the time. Its to reduce the number that run away to acceptable levels.

As for domestication pathways, I will just say that we don't know exactly how exactly rabbits were domesticated IOTL. That makes extrapolating much more difficult. And I think you are overconfident in the current theories surrounding animal domestication. It is far from settled science.

Understood. I'm more surprised that it would work, they can be slippery little creatures. Trying to keep them out of a garden, even with steel fence and a dog that has a taste for rabbits can be difficult.

You would not have to keep every rabbit on the island. Your losses (from wandering away, predators, culling, etc.) would just have to be less than the number that is bred in the same time period. Considering they breed like, well, rabbits that is less difficult than it sounds.

You would not have to keep every rabbit on the island. Your losses (from wandering away, predators, culling, etc.) would just have to be less than the number that is bred in the same time period. Considering they breed like, well, rabbits that is less difficult than it sounds.
Oh, agreed. Trying to eliminate them is impossible. I cull my wild population regularly, though not with the idea of destroying them.

If you are going to cite an article at least have the decency to link it directly, especially when the full thing is available online. https://academic.oup.com/af/article/11/3/62/6306449

Now, to get to the article itself, I will say this. I think that article looks very carefully at a tree, makes some good observations about that tree, but completely misses the forest around it. That is to say, they look at the behavior and traits of rabbits and never at the people raising them. They assume that if cottontails had been domesticable then people would have domesticated them. Instead, they should ask why people should bother domesticating them rather than just killing them.

They also do not consider that domestication is not easily detectable in rabbit remains. Coloration changes were not seen in domesticated rabbits until the 1500s and skeletal changes (like size) did not come about until the 1700s. This in spite of the fact that we know rabbits have been raised by humans for much longer. (Source, not a completely academic one but still.) Perhaps the rabbits at Teotihuacan were domesticated but the lineage did not survive the fall of the city . We would not be able to easily tell.

Cottontails were kept together in Teotihuacan. The article you cited noted this. Their territoriality was not too big of a problem. As you long as you keep the rabbits on the island, they can make whatever shelters they want.

As for swimming, marsh rabbits=/= eastern cottontails. European rabbits swim. Hell, domesticated rabbits sometimes swim just for fun. The point isn't to stop all of them from running away all the time. Its to reduce the number that run away to acceptable levels.

I was hesitant to post any critique to begin due to concern about a hostile response, so I'm rather disappointed that your post began with snide comment - about a citation no less. I don't know what academic websites you or anyone else besides myself have access to, and honestly, I don't much remember which are paywalled or not. I provided a citation that would suffice anywhere in the world and you seem to have found the article quickly from that, so I don't know why you're hostile to it. More to the point, I don't even care about the article's content, as I said I disagree with it and think they likely are domesticable with the right set of circumstances. What I cared about was the image from the article - which is why the citation accompanies the image to begin with.

My critique is about pillow mounds - the warren system. Pillow mounds make since in the context of European Rabbits because they replicate their habitat of burrows and hiding holes. Cottontails do not, they nest in shallow depressions and aren't really diggers. They also often do live in swamps and marshes and are no strangers to mud or swimming.
Rabbits are natural diggers and cannot easily be placed in a cage with a dirt floor. They also cannot abide the mud of the wetlands created by rice bogs. To solve this problem, the Menominee created artificial warrens to house the rabbits.

Dry soil was piled into an oblong mound and surrounded by a ditch filled with water. Inside the mounds were chambers, dug by the rabbits or by people, where the rabbits mated, gave birth and raised their families. Similar structures, called pillow mounds, were used in medieval Europe.
This is true of European Rabbits, but not Cottontails. Pillow Mounds don't make any since to use because they're built for an entirely different animals. From the perspective a someone who has never seen a pillow mound, why would you build one? Its not how Cottontails live, its how European Rabbits do.

As for domestication pathways, I will just say that we don't know exactly how exactly rabbits were domesticated IOTL. That makes extrapolating much more difficult. And I think you are overconfident in the current theories surrounding animal domestication. It is far from settled science.
Of course its not settled, few things in science are, but Larson and Fuller's work is incredibly well supported and I know of no alternative to it since they've published it. It is the model used by essentially all domestication research today. The Smithsonian article you linked is itself about work done by Greger Larson for that matter!

For all that, I still wanted to be constructive though, which is why I offered Cavy/Guinea Pigs as a better model for Cottontails, since their habits are much closer to one another. Wikipedia on Guinea Pigs for example:
"While they do not burrow themselves or build nests, they frequently seek shelter in the burrows of other animals, as well as in crevices and tunnels formed by vegetation.They are crepuscular and tend to be most active during dawn and dusk, when it is harder for predators to spot them.

Last edited:
I was hesitant to post any critique to begin due to concern about a hostile response, so I'm rather disappointed that your post began with snide comment - about a citation no less. I don't know what academic websites you or anyone else besides myself have access to, and honestly, I don't much remember which are paywalled or not.
It's more that on the internet giving links are more important bc it makes them a lot more accessible.

I do agree with your thoughts on cottontails tho bc they act more like hares than rabbits and should be treated as such. They'd never use the burrows until winter which would encourage a very different type of domestication process.

Chapter 20: State Society
Chapter 20: State Society

As cities grew larger, the government and organization of the cities and kingdoms grew more complex. Though they continued electing Sagamos and Ogimaa, who could vote was increasingly restricted.

Each city had a set of dibendaagozi, literally “members” but often translated as citizen. These were the descendants of the original inhabitants. They were the only people who could vote. It should be noted that both men and women could vote, so long as they were dibendaagozi. Even children were allowed to participate in elections, although their parents were expected to control them. The status of dibendaagozi was passed patrilineally, just like clan membership. In many places, dibendaagozi were marked with special tattoos only they were allowed to have.

Initially, the vast majority of people in cities were dibendaagozi but this changed over time. Freedmen, slaves, foreigners, immigrants from the countryside and their descendants made up a greater and greater proportion of the urban population. By the late classical period, no more than about 20% of the population were dibendaagozi.

Certain jobs could strip the status of dibendaagozi from a person. Prostitution, latrine cleaning and other ‘unclean’ jobs would remove a person’s ability to vote. However, their descendants and family would retain their vote. If a person changed jobs then they might be allowed to return to the status of dibendaagozi after a period of time and a ritual cleansing. If you sold yourself, your wife, or your children into slavery, however, you were stripped of that status permanently.

Crimes could remove the status of dibendaagozi as well. Depending on the seriousness of the offense, it might suspend the right to vote temporarily, forever, or even for your descendants. If, after a number of generations had passed and the ban was lifted, your descendants could petition for the status of dibendaagozi again.

Conversely, the status of dibendaagozi could be granted. The Sagamos could decree any person a dibendaagozi at any time. If a person who was not a dibendaagozi was initiated as a zhimaaganish warrior they became a dibendaagozi. Both of these were rare events but they did happen. When they did, their descendants would retain their status. There is a story from Mishawaka of a Sagamos granting dozens of people the status of dibendaagozi in order to influence the results of an election. The strategy did change the election but it also resulted in the Sagamos being forced out of office.

Each kanata or neighborhood elected their own Ogimaa. When an Ogimaa died or resigned, an election would be held. The election, called biinjwebinigewi, was a time of danger and opportunity. The ceremony itself was held in the courtyard of the kanata. There were no voting booths or secret ballots. All of the dibendaagozi of the kanata gathered together. They cheered for the candidates they supported and stayed silent for the people they did not support. The election was over when there were cheers for only one candidate. This is called election by acclimation.

1690807738847.png

A biinjwebinigewi election[1]

What were the qualifications to put your name forth? It’s simple really. You had to be a dibendaagozi of that kanata. There were no other requirements. Theoretically, anyone eligible to vote in the election could run. Usually, of course, the son of the previous Ogimaa was the only candidate. Other members of the ruling endaad, or sub-clan, might also run but this was not guaranteed. Dark horse candidates, unconnected to the previous Ogimaa, could and did win, although it was rare. And whoever won could hold the post for the rest of their life.

Many times, the elections were uncontested. But no matter who or how many were running, a lot of wealth was required to win an election. During the election, huge parties were held in the courtyard. In these parties, gifts, food and alcohol were handed out to the dibendaagoozi. If the election was uncontested, the party was more perfunctory. But it was all paid for by the candidates. The parties showed the wealth and power of a candidate. There are many stories where a candidate, assured of winning, was miserly and did not bother to fund the party. Then, during the election, they were challenged by a popular upstart and lost.

If there were multiple candidates, then the candidates would compete with each other on the size of their election party. They gave out magnificent gifts, prepared expensive food and drink, made promises of future policies, and even married in exchange for votes. There is one inscription which describes a candidate from Munising hiring prostitutes to sleep with voters. But it is said in such a way to make it clear that this was rare and considered unsavory. More commonly, gangs supporting one candidate or the other would roam the streets getting into fights. Wars even started over the breaking of election promises. A contested biinjwebinigewi election was a huge party where at any moment, violence could break out.

If no consensus was reached on the first attempt then the candidates would attempt to outperform each other in a variety of areas. Speeches were common, just as they are today. They even had debates, of a sort. Anyone from the crowd could ask a question of the candidates and the candidates would be required to answer to the best of their ability. This was more important in the election of a Mide, where knowledge of the aadizookaan (holy books) was critical.

Candidates might also perform feats of strength. Picking up large objects or running a circuit could be used to demonstrate the physical ability of the candidate. Ritualistic (non-fatal) duels between candidates or their supporters might even take place.[2] We might find such actions strange during an election but these acts allowed the populace to see who was blessed by Manidoo. Having the blessing of Manidoo was a sure sign that one was worthy of being an Ogimaa, Mide, or Sagamos.

The official charged with running the election was called the agindaaso or counter. They would ensure that violence and public drunkenness was not excessive during an election. They did this by hiring or being loaned zhimaaganish warriors to act as security.

The agindaaso would also listen for the cheers and certify the winning candidate using an oshtigwaanens, literally “little head” but meaning a stamp. Stamps were made from ceramic and carved with small symbols, usually the head of a doodem animal, in negative relief. When pressed into wet clay or filled with ink and put on birch bark paper, they would leave an identifiable mark. They functioned like signatures for the bureaucracy and nobility of the city. Each Ogimaa, Sagamos, Mide, and city official had an oshtigwaanens as a symbol of their office.

1690807753378.png

Oshtigwaanens stamp depicting a wapiti elk[3]

The agindaaso was expected to take their job very seriously. While everyone else in an election could be and often were inebriated, they were required to remain completely sober. They also could not accept gifts. Unlike other officials, the agindaaso was not appointed and dismissed by the Sagamos at will but rather appointed for a set amount of time, generally one year. Some histories even use the name of the agindaaso to differentiate the year. For example, a year might be called “the year that Bizaan of the elk clan was agindaaso” or something similar.

Failing to administer the election correctly or perpetrating deliberate fraud were not just legal violations but blasphemy. The penalty for such actions could be severe. An agindaaso from Cuyahoga pretended not to hear cheers and certified an Ogimaa who did not have unanimous consent. For his crime, he was torn limb from limb by the crowd, including by many who had cheered for the winning Ogimaa. More commonly, a cheating agindaaso would be stripped of their office or exiled.

The elections for Mide were notoriously rowdy and sloppy affairs because they included every dibendaagoozi of every priestly clan in the city. Rich men had a greater advantage in these larger elections because the cost of gifts and parties was so much higher. Conversely, the crowds were larger (and often drunker) and therefore they were more easily persuaded by populists and naysayers.

The election of a new Sagamos was not open to the public. Only the Ogimaa could attend. This was done to ensure that charismatic Ogimaa would not use the crowds to force the election result they wanted. Even so, the election of a new Sagamos was considerably more likely to devolve into violence. At least, this was true in cities where the Sagamos was more powerful than the city clans.

As cities grew in size and sophistication so did the government. Bureaucrats other than the Sagamos, Mide and a small group of Ogimaa were needed for administration. We have already mentioned the agindaaso. They were a part of the small group of nobles chosen by the Sagamos for certain jobs. This group was called the okwabiwag, or sitting group. Many had no formal position but were supposed to advise the Sagamos on various matters. As we have already discussed, the position of Agoiander among the Ongweh’onweh was similar to prime minister and was reserved for women. No equivalent position existed among the Menominee. However, in cities with powerful clans the Sagamos effectively acted like a Prime Minister who could be deposed by a majority of Ogimaa.

There were many other bureaucrats used by various cities. They included judges empowered to speak for Sagamos in minor disputes or in certain areas, priests in charge of granaries, and many other minor functionaries. Last time, we followed the day of one such minor functionary in charge of keeping the drains of the city clean.

Despite the view of many modern people that cities in the past were filthy and crime ridden, the reality was very different. The Sagamos and Ogimaa were expected to use slaves to clean the drains and sweep the streets. Cities in the Mishigami were small enough, interconnected enough, and interdependent enough that social ostracization and shame was an effective deterrent for most crimes. Only serious offenses would need to be punished by an Ogimaa or Sagamos. If you were put in front of a Sagamos or Ogimaa, punishments could be severe.

Regular people paid their taxes in the form of labor, food, and textiles to their Ogimaa. The Ogimaa would then pay any communal taxes to the Mide and Sagamos. This system allowed many Ogimaa to embezzle money and accumulate wealth. This was resented by many dibendaagoozi and might result in their sons loosing the next election. Of course, this was so removed from the graft that it was often not an effective deterrent. There was no mechanism, other than shame and threats, to force the resignation of a venal and ineffective Ogimaa. Other than death, of course, but that was rare.

The average person would rarely interact with government officials. When they did, it was usually no more than a minor functionary or their neighborhood Ogimaa.

Next time, we will discuss the proliferation of maize and its effects on the mishigami and beyond.

[1] Taken from: https://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/society/pix/logretta_model.jpg actually a Norse thing assembly
[2] I think this is how modern elections should be done. A boring debate on the issues? No, Joe Biden and Donald Trump mud wrestling to determine who is favored by the gods. That would be much more dignified.
[3] Taken from: https://sadigh.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/7/5/12751077/5611783_orig.jpg Actually an ancient Persian seal depicting a stag

Comments? Questions?