Good, you're back! I hope to be able to write a TV Tropes article on the TL.

Nook like North America will have its own version of an evangelist, universalist religion.

Even though it call itself universalist, and given the slowness of communication, how many local versions will emerge, especially if there's no central authority? And how much syncretism will occur in far-flung areas? Lastly, could the monasteries become centers of knowledge on order to try to maintain the correct doctrine?

And how would it relate to Christianity? Will it try to expand outside America?

welcome back!

I'm happy that you're back, I really like your tl and it's good to see updates for it!

Good, you're back!

Thanks

I hope to be able to write a TV Tropes article on the TL.

That would be fine by me. I don't know how any of that works.

Even though it call itself universalist, and given the slowness of communication, how many local versions will emerge, especially if there's no central authority? And how much syncretism will occur in far-flung areas? Lastly, could the monasteries become centers of knowledge on order to try to maintain the correct doctrine?

1) Many
2) A lot
3) Yes

I plan to cover a lot of this stuff in future updates.

And how would it relate to Christianity? Will it try to expand outside America?

That won't happen for a long time. But we will get to it eventually. I promise.

Chapter 37: Sacred History
Chapter 37: Sacred History

Much of the early period of the Shawnee Empire is shrouded in mystery. Our only source for most of it is the Shaanii Aadizookaan, which makes many dubious historical claims. The purpose of the Shaanii Aadizookaan is not to tell an accurate historical account but rather to serve as a religious and moral guide for future generations. It has a tendency to cast people as either “villains” or “heroes” with little in between. And it is heavily biased in favor of the Shawnee and Mozism in general.

In later times, the Shawnee were quite proud to have risen from humble origins to the heights of power. When Mozcala [Madison, IN] was founded it was a city of bandits, vagabonds, prostitutes, and exiles. Many, although far from all, of these inhabitants were Mozists or converted to Mozism shortly after arriving.

The actual construction of the city was haphazard and unplanned. Rather than the wide boulevards and carefully constructed sewage systems of most classical period city-states, Mozcala had many twisting alleys and a notoriously inefficient and ineffective sewage system. The houses, at first, were little more than shacks hastily constructed before winter. While they would improve over time, it was well into the imperial period before Mozcala’s ramshackle reputation faded.

Many stories of the Shaanii Aadizookaan are set in this early period, when Mozcala was under construction and being ruled by Tecumseh and Tenskwatawa. These stories are usually explanations for the institutions and practices of Mozcala, especially those which were unique or otherwise rare in the Mishigami and Ziibiing.

How many of these stories are true? To be blunt, most of them were probably cobbled together later to explain the origins of the Shawnee. Many of them appear to have some level of historical truth, though.

For example, in one story a man is accused of stealing a wapiti elk. In order to determine guilt, Tenskwatawa ordered the man placed in a boat and the boat sunk. If the man survived, then obviously he had not stolen the wapiti elk. The man agreed to undergo the trial, but only if Tenskwatawa was in the boat with him. Tenskwatawa, recognizing the folly of such a thing, set the man free and outlawed trial by ordeal. Most classical period city-states used trial by ordeal and Mozcala did not. This story provides a plausible reason why such a practice was banned. Though the story itself is likely to be fiction, something like it probably happened.

According to the Shaanii Aadizookaan, Tenskwatawa and Tecumseh ruled Mozcala together for many years. Tecumseh was the first to die. Tenskwatawa ruled alone. After Tenskwatawa’s death a few years later, there was a great deal of confusion because he had made no provision for who should inherit the throne. Many thought that the Fox clan should continue ruling the city. Tecumseh and Tenskwatawa had been members of the Fox clan and the Fox clan had been the ruling clan of the city of Wapeksippu for hundreds of years prior to the foundation of Mozcala. These people were ignored.

In the end, the masses proclaimed an elderly Mozist priest named Wyandanch to be the next King. He was not a member of the Fox clan. However, he was said to have “no vices”. Therefore it was thought that he would rule the city justly.

Very quickly the masses learned of their mistake. Wyandanch, who had never been particularly powerful or well known before Tenskwatawa’s death, soon became corrupt. One of his first acts was to make an ostentatious crown of elk antlers, tipping them in rare and precious gold. He married many wives, all of them much younger than himself and treated them terribly. Most damning of all, he had little interest in ruling. The people suffered under his rule, which was thankfully short due to his old age.

1711200060763.png

Wyandanch with his wives [1]​

With Wyandanch’s death, it was clear that a more systematic way of choosing a leader was needed. A council of noble Ogimaa gathered, as they did in other cities, and began to discuss who their new leader should be. They quarreled and each man nominated himself. After much negotiation, a particularly influential Ogimaa declared that he would vote for “the next man I see”. At that moment, Keannekeuk, nephew of Tecumseh and Tenskwatawa entered the room with a message for the Ogimaa. This was seen as a sign from the Master of Life that the Fox clan should once again be in charge. From that time on, the King of Mozcala was a hereditary position.

The story of Wyandanch and the origins of clan inheritance is almost certainly false. Most scholars believe that this story was created to justify later dynastic changes and to subtly critique the decadence and disinterest of the later Shadow Emperors. Hereditary rule was never in doubt for Mozcala. Keannekeuk was always the heir of Tecumseh and Tenskwatawa. Wyandanch, if he existed at all, was an overly powerful official, not the recognized King.

In reality, the government of Mozcala formed slowly and evolved over time. It owed much of its early structure to the government structures of other city-states in the Mishigami and Ziibiing. Descendants of the original settlers were given a status akin to citizenship and were called dibendaagozi. They elected a group of nobles called Ogimaa who in turn elected the ruling Sagamos or King. The elections were overseen by an agindaaso, or counter. This was a very common type of government in the Mishigami and Ziibiing. It is covered in detail in Chapter 20: State Society.

In Mozcala, the group of Ogimaa was referred to as the dibishkoo zagaswe'idiwag which is usually translated as “Assembly of Equals”, though it was far from equal. We will discuss the complex hierarchy of the Shawnee nobility at another time. For now, it is sufficient to know that its structure in the early days was not very different from many other city-states.

The bureaucracy of Mozcala was headed by an official called the dakon oshtigwaanens, translated as the Keeper of the Seal. He was allowed to hold and use the seal of the King, which effectively granted him the ability to make legal judgments. Another important bureaucrat was the jiimaanikewinini or chief boat builder, who was officially in charge of building war canoes but in reality had near total control over the king’s spending. Neither of these titles was uncommon among the other city-states in the Mishigami and Ziibiing at this time.

The most notable difference in Mozcala’s governmental from other city-states was the widespread use of exams to choose bureaucrats. According to the Shaanii Aadizookaan, it was Eshkibagikoonzhe, the Keeper of the Seal for Keannekeuk, who first instituted these exams. Due to the success of these exams, Eshkibagikoonzhe was better remembered in history than Keannekeuk.

The exams likely began due to a shortage of bureaucrats in the early history of Mozcala. Since so many people came from so many different places and so few people knew each other, the Mozcala bureaucracy needed a standardized test to determine who was proficient at what in order to sort out governance.

1711200149653.png

Men taking the exams to become bureaucrats [2]​

In later times, exams had an oral and written part. Each applicant was expected to know not only the ins and outs of his position but also detailed knowledge of Mozist religious thought and history. While most other states in Minisia [North America] used inheritance to choose their bureaucrats, this exam system ensured a minimum level of competence in the government of Mozcala that was simply not present elsewhere.

At the height of the empire, dozens of people would attempt these tests for each that passed. And passing such exams were a requirement to reach the highest levels of government, even for the high nobility. This was how a few thousand bureaucrats were chosen to rule over tens of millions of people. But for now, they granted a token amount of upward mobility in a small but growing city-state among dozens of others.

Next week, we will have a supplemental on the role of women in Mozism.

Characters
  1. Eshkibagikoonzhe- Keeper of the Seal for Keannekeuk; a government bureaucrat; inventor of the civil service exams
  2. Keannekeuk- the nephew of Tenskwatawa and Tecumseh; another early ruler of Mozcala
  3. Tecumseh- brother to Tenskwatawa; one of the rulers of Wapeksippu and later Mozcala.
  4. Tenskwatawa- also called the Moz or prophet; the founder of Mozism
  5. Wyandanch- a man with “no vices” that proved to be a terrible early ruler for Mozcala
[1] Generated using Bing Image Creator. At least no one was wearing a headdress in this one.
[2] Generated using Bing Image Creator

Questions? Comments?

Last edited:
Interesting to see a more centralized and bureaucratic form of government develop in the empire, contrasting with the earlier confederal system.

In later times, exams had an oral and written part. Each applicant was expected to know not only the ins and outs of his position but also detailed knowledge of Mozist religious thought and history. While most other states in Minisia [North America] used inheritance to choose their bureaucrats, this exam system ensured a minimum level of competence in the government of Mozcala that was simply not present elsewhere.
Looks like the birth of a modern bureaucracy might make this state more efficient, by having more efficient civil servants able to provide more public goods to the population, both enhancing the legitimity and producing even more wealth and thus even more taxmoney.

And I bet that literacy might become a prime skill among the population, if only to become a mandarin.
In reality, the government of Mozcala formed slowly and evolved over time. It owed much of its early structure to the government structures of other city-states in the Mishigami and Ziibiing. Descendants of the original settlers were given a status akin to citizenship and were called dibendaagozi. They elected a group of nobles called Ogimaa who in turn elected the ruling Sagamos or King. The elections were overseen by an agindaaso, or counter. This was a very common type of government in the Mishigami and Ziibiing. It is covered in detail in Chapter 20: State Society.
Look like the Roman patricians. Will a Secession of the Plebians occurs?

Is it too much og you to just commision art and not use AI-generation?
I get your frustration with AI art, I really do-the heavily bearded Native Americans in the media for this timeline, among other things, throw me off. But, I think you need to keep in mind the only realistic budget alternative-randomly googling images that may or may not be linkable within a year-is also somewhat frustrating.

I think we need to give TL authors, who are spending a lot of time and work on performing a labor of love, a little grace in how they present their timelines, even if you do not personally agree with what they are doing.

Last edited:
Looks like the birth of a modern bureaucracy might make this state more efficient, by having more efficient civil servants able to provide more public goods to the population, both enhancing the legitimity and producing even more wealth and thus even more taxmoney.

And I bet that literacy might become a prime skill among the population, if only to become a mandarin.
Exactly.

Look like the Roman patricians. Will a Secession of the Plebians occurs?
I hadn't planned anything but never say never.

I get your frustration with AI art, I really do-the heavily bearded Native Americans in the media for this timeline, among other things, throw me off. But, I think you need to keep in mind the only realistic budget alternative-randomly googling images that may or may not be linkable within a year-is also somewhat frustrating.

I think we need to give TL authors, who are spending a lot of time and work on performing a labor of love, a little grace in how they present their timelines, even if you do not personally agree with what they are doing.
I understand the criticism. I wasn't happy with the first picture either. Perhaps if I explain my process for images, it will make more sense.

1) I always try to have two or three images in each update to provide some visual flair and break up the monotony of text.

2) I always try to find an image on google and bing first. But with the shift from more "archeological" updates to more "historical" updates, this has become harder. There just aren't many images of old native american men surrounded by beautiful young native american women.

3) I use bing image creator. For that picture in particular, I had lots of trouble getting something that was remotely acceptable. As is common with any prompt with "native american" it kept creating people with headdresses (including lots of white people in headdresses). I tried changing it to "Cherokee" or "ojibwe", which sometimes works but didn't this time. Adding to the frustration, my prompts kept being pinged as potentially violating bing's rules. Finally, I got the above picture which I figured was close enough. I know its not perfect but it was the best I was able to get.

Having said all that, I do think I've come to rely too much on AI and I should try to use pictures and drawings from elsewhere on the internet more.

They can always make crude as hell drawings themselves.
hmmm....

This is great! Once again, @PeterEzgo comes out along with a great chapter of his timeline! Keep up with the great work!

(Also, @PeterEzgo, since you wanted to read my timeline -When the Tlingit Embraced the Sea, a Pacific Northwest Timeline- I updated my timeline again, so you can go and read it if you want to.)

Just ran across this. Quite the amazing mix of Algonquin/Haudenase/Ojibiwaie/Cree legends and the dynamics involved.

I’ve dealt with wild rice from Alberta to Ontario through Cree and Ojibiwa groups and it’s amazing where it will grow/store.

Although late to the party will definitely follow
Foresterab

Supplemental: The Place of a Woman
Supplemental: The Place of a Woman

One major difference between traditional Midewiwin religion and Mozism was the role of women. While Classical Period Midewiwin society had never been particularly pro-woman, Mozism took sexism to a new extreme. Women were considered impure and liable to spread their impurity wherever they went.

Men and women were to be segregated at almost all times. They had separate sweat lodges, separate temples, and even separate living quarters. If a woman left the house too often or unaccompanied by a man, she could be socially ostracized. Women were to spend their days separately from the men. Only at night would she join her husband in the marriage bed.

Every woman was controlled first by her father and then, after she got married, by her husband. If she outlived her husband, she might even be controlled by her son. Every woman was cloistered first in the longhouse of her father’s clan and later in the longhouse of her husband’s clan.

The ideal woman was submissive. She took orders from her father or husband and never questioned or defied them. She wore a clothe to cover her hair, face, breasts, stomach, genitals, and legs in public or any time a stranger entered the longhouse. She did not speak to men outside the family, much less have affairs.

In reality, of course, such restrictions were not really practical for the majority of women. They lived, worked, and moved about the city as they always had. Economic necessity required nothing less. Aristocratic women, however, followed these ideals and could be punished (usually socially, rarely legally) for failing to uphold them.

This gave rise to rumors about noble women, most of who had never been seen by the wider public. Generally, these rumors were either that noble women were profoundly ugly or profoundly beautiful. Sometimes they were said to be both at once. At others times, it was said they had the ability to change from beautiful to ugly and back. These sort of rumors were discouraged by the nobility but the lower classes paid them no mind. On the rare occasion a noblewoman was seen in public, the lower classes were often disappointed by their rather plain and normal appearance.

The legal and religious restrictions on women were not limited to the upper classes. Women were not allowed to own land independently of their husband. At best, a widow might be granted lifetime occupancy, not ownership, of land. She would be able to live off the produce of the plot of land but she could not sell it.

On the other hand, noblewomen were required to have sufficient property income to maintain themselves in case their husband could not take care of them. It should be made clear, however, this income was managed by their husband and was frequently stolen by those same husbands. Also, if a father had no sons then his property was inherited by his daughter (or really, by his daughter’s husband).

1711805566705.png

Portrait of Shawnee Woman [1]​

Divorce also became more difficult, legally, under Mozism. Under Midewiwin religious traditions, if a woman ran away from her husband and reached the sanctuary of a Midewiwin temple, she would be granted a divorce. This changed under Mozism. If a woman fled her husband, she could be forced to return if her reason for running was considered insufficient.

Even when it was granted, divorce usually required penance by the woman. Typically a woman was required to spend a year as the servant of a Mozist temple before divorce was granted. Rich women might be allowed to give sufficiently valuable gifts instead. But often, the humiliation of serving the temple was used against even rich women in order to discourage divorce.

As the Shawnee Empire expanded, some female Mozist priests would start and run their own temples. These female run temples would use the power and prestige they accumulated in order to protect women fleeing abusive husbands and granted divorce far more easily than male run temples. This caused some friction and prevented female run temples from spreading beyond a few in the major cities of the Shawnee Empire.

Next week, we will discuss the cuisine of the Mishigami and Ziibiing.

[1] Taken from: https://www.online-catalog-of-profe...oads/1/1/4/8/114825577/bgh-080-weary_orig.jpg

Comments? Questions?

How accurate was this sort of stuff compared to OTL indigenous cultures?

Because, to me, this sounds like some sort of ham-fisted jab or parallelism to the Abrahamic faiths regarding the treatment of women…

Because, to me, this sounds like some sort of ham-fisted jab or parallelism to the Abrahamic faiths regarding the treatment of women…

It is definitely not parallelism with Abrahamic faiths. The whole divorce temple thing is based on Japanese religious practice and history as just one example. Nor is it intended to be a jab at anyone.

How accurate was this sort of stuff compared to OTL indigenous cultures?

OTL Eastern North American indigenous cultures were fairly equal between men and women. Men and women had different roles, certainly, but women were not expected to be subservient to men. I've even seen Iroquois society called "matriarchal" but I don't think that claim stands up to serious scrutiny.

But, Eastern North American indigenous cultures were either hunter-gatherers or very early agricultural societies. More advanced agricultural societies and highly hierarchal societies in general tend to be more sexist, not less.

We tend to think of gender equality as modern and patriarchy as barbarism. For most of history, the opposite was true. The "barbarians" who lived hand to mouth tended to be more gender neutral because they could not afford to restrict the labor of half their population. The "civilized" places had lots of misogyny and tended to pigeon hole women because they could afford to. You can see this in Aztec, Maya, and Inca culture all of which sidelined women to a much greater extent than OTL Ojibwe for example.

I hope that clears up any misunderstandings.

We tend to think of gender equality as modern and patriarchy as barbarism. For most of history, the opposite was true. The "barbarians" who lived hand to mouth tended to be more gender neutral because they could not afford to restrict the labor of half their population. The "civilized" places had lots of misogyny and tended to pigeon hole women because they could afford to. You can see this in Aztec, Maya, and Inca culture all of which sidelined women to a much greater extent than OTL Ojibwe for example.
This. I hate it when ppl just project their thoughts on stuff like hunter gatherers and farmers, since history usually paints a grim picture of how things are in general.

One major difference between traditional Midewiwin religion and Mozism was the role of women. While Classical Period Midewiwin society had never been particularly pro-woman, Mozism took sexism to a new extreme. Women were considered impure and liable to spread their impurity wherever they went.
How did they manage to attract female support, if they're doing a replay of Saudi Arabia?

I'm not surprised that such restrictive rules are more followed by the upper classew, which can afford to follow them, than the common workers who need every arms. Indeed, I fully expect that purdah will be used to display wealth: "we're so wealthy that I can afford to lock up my wives and daughters in my harem! ("harem" being the reserved place for women)