The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

If/When political Islam takes of in TTL, it wouldn't surprise me if there's an outright schism this time around with Turkey doing the equivalent of the England breaking ties with Rome and founding their own Church of England.
I'm not sure how likely that is going to be. Either they argue that it's not the 1400's anymore so they don't need to run every political agenda past the priest before implementing it, or they simply argue that by tying themselves to the political agenda of a specific country rather than to Islam as a whole the priests who condemn them are not true priest and are just political agents using Islam as a shield against their enemies.

If Pan Arabism does lead to the UAR or such ITTL naturally it will end up painted as a parallel to the Nazis in Anti Arab propaganda. Uniting formerly independent nations in ethnic nationalism. Antisemitic, looks like it will be a BIG check here(not sure if the distinction between that and AntiZionist will come up as much ITTL with how much worse the situation is). And probably a charismatic populist dictator.

The Arab tragedy indeed. It seems ITTL they will suffer even worse from both the Cold War and the long struggle.

Salonika.png

Just leaving a random infobox.
(The flag and Seal were made by AlexanderBranza on Deviantart, all credits to him)

If/When political Islam takes of in TTL, it wouldn't surprise me if there's an outright schism this time around with Turkey doing the equivalent of the England breaking ties with Rome and founding their own Church of England.

Islam doesn't work in the same way of Christianity. Also I don't see the Turk military establishment restoring the Great Mufti of Constantinople title...

Islam doesn't work in the same way of Christianity. Also I don't see the Turk military establishment restoring the Great Mufti of Constantinople title...
I know there is no such thing as a Pope in Islam. I was trying to say, was them breaking with the Arab world in a major way about doctrine, leadership and regional "indepencende". In OTL Turkey came close to demanding that Muslim Clerics preach in Turkish rather than Arabic, in TTL they might very well go through with that.

I know there is no such thing as a Pope in Islam. I was trying to say, was them breaking with the Arab world in a major way about doctrine, leadership and regional "indepencende". In OTL Turkey came close to demanding that Muslim Clerics preach in Turkish rather than Arabic, in TTL they might very well go through with that.
In Islam, a Caliph is considered a kind of Pope because whoever controls the Caliphate is the leader of Islam. And also whoever controls the twin pillars or the twin holy cities of Mecca and Medina is considered the leaders of Islam. The Muslims won't necessarily follow another Caliph the likes of the Turkish but most would follow like the Sunnis but not the Shiites.

OTL the power of the Caliph could be seen with protecting Aceh when the Dutch first tried to invade.

The Caliph acts like the head of Islam and so if the Turkish demand preaching in Turkish it could happen but OTL didn't happen thanks to the Arabs de facto controlled the Holy Cities, crippling any chances for that kind of preaching

I just wonder who will sponsor and supply the Arab states with funds and weapons?

Good question. USA/ETO/RA surely are not going to give any support to Arabs and at least RA is strongly pro-Israel. Probably USA and ETO will be too in some degree altough ETO might be more critical on some actions of the country. I assume that ITTL Israel will be more militaristic than in OTL.

Soviets are not going to give any supplies to Arabs so long when Stalin is alive.

Perhaps China depending how future Chinese War is going. And Saudis are probably capable to give some degree support for other Arab nations.

With British influence in South Iran, Pakistan and Malaysia and the Dutch in Indonesia, I can see the European spend quite a lot to try and create a split between arabic religious fundamentalism and moderate secular Islam in non-Arabic speaking nations, perhaps with a more widespread acceptance of translations of the Koran.

With British influence in South Iran, Pakistan and Malaysia and the Dutch in Indonesia, I can see the European spend quite a lot to try and create a split between arabic religious fundamentalism and moderate secular Islam in non-Arabic speaking nations, perhaps with a more widespread acceptance of translations of the Koran.
Maybe fight fire with fire? Creating split between fundamentalism Islam and Secular fascist Islam? If one side is extreme maybe moderate won’t be enough to fight back the other side.

I wonder how the mafia is doing ITTL?

Slightly better in America due to extra funds against Communists meaning less anti-mafia moves from the FBI and tougher economic times bringing recruits and customers.

In Italy they’re getting smashed, but the more enterprising ones have started outposts in Libya and East Africa. Little law enforcement and no shortage of tough guys looking for riches.

The Mob in the US and west may be more corporate as the old guard dies off. In Libya, East Africa and members of the RA they are part of the immigrant communities and are clashing with the local gangs over rackets and territory. Since there are lots of military veterans and weapons lying around it will get messy.

Since there are lots of military veterans and weapons lying around it will get messy.
Rather the opposite IMHO. Armed Military Veterans aren't exactly a good "Customer Base" for protection rackets. I'd say the Mafias who try will get smashed and the ones who survive will be the ones who do their business as unmessy as they can. Their business being Vices like prostitution as well as Black Market imports of banned goods. Want to watch The Great Dictator? Go to your friendly neighbourhood Dons Underground Cinema.

Rather the opposite IMHO. Armed Military Veterans aren't exactly a good "Customer Base" for protection rackets. I'd say the Mafias who try will get smashed and the ones who survive will be the ones who do their business as unmessy as they can. Their business being Vices like prostitution as well as Black Market imports of banned goods. Want to watch The Great Dictator? Go to your friendly neighbourhood Dons Underground Cinema.

This will be a point of pop culture in Fascist Italy. Many a B-film maker will make cheap Western knock-offs set in Libya and East Africa with our veteran protagonist taking on a Mafia attempt to take over the town.

Looks like the term "Spaghetti Western" will be substantially more literal in this timeline than our own. I wonder how it will end up impacting the development of American Western filmography?

Slightly better in America due to extra funds against Communists meaning less anti-mafia moves from the FBI and tougher economic times bringing recruits and customers.

In Italy they’re getting smashed, but the more enterprising ones have started outposts in Libya and East Africa. Little law enforcement and no shortage of tough guys looking for riches.

Mafia best friend in the USA was J.Edna Hoover, he always understimated her power and was not the type that accepted suggestion or even entertain the idea he was slightly wrong; plus he was obsessed with communist (and later with the civil right activist), for him the Mafia doesn't exist