The eagle's left head

I am not sure. But certainly they had a lot of land. The debt they raised when they bought the Templars' holdings stood at 580k florins. That debt was paid off by 1334. However, the bankruptcy of the three florentine banks was a dire blow: the Hospital lost 360k florins and had to restrict the number of brethren in Rhodes.
Speaking of which the Hospital's revenues in 1392 were 45,000 florins. Which assuming the population of their holdings had yet to recover from the black death, visible recovery in most of Europe had to wait for the late 1300s - early 1400s after all could indicate no more than 75-90,000 at this point. I like this number. We know there were 400 knights in Rhodes in addition to mercenaries and some short of local levies, plus the 6 galleys, plus after 1350 paying 3,000 florins for half the cost of the garrison of Smyrna (which by the way implies half the garrison of Smyrna was no more than 250 men, possibly less since a foot soldier cost 2-3 florins a month). If you do the math 400 brethren and 6 war galleys cost between 69,072-72,672 florins a year (depending on marines cost) which leaves just enough money for about 500 mercenaries. And also explains why the knights barely managed to field 6 galleys in 1344.

Oh no, what a surprise...
Poor guys just had to defend their honour. Most important this for a true knight! :p
So the thin Angevine naval suprrmacy is shuttered for now . And Charles will probably be having a new enemy to deal with in Hungary. They are also at the point where unless they find a new ally at sea , they are in big trouble .
Not quite so. At this point the Angevins and their allies have 68 galleys left, 34 in Naples and as many in the Aegean. The Lascarids counting their Genoese mercenaries 84, 34 in Sicily and 50 in the Aegean. Both sides will be building more ships and for that matter hiring mercenaries, for example Grimaldi has another dozen galleys not already hired by Charles. The problem for Charles is that Theodore can move ships from Messina to the Aegean rather more easily than he can move ships from Naples to Taranto. That would require fleets going past Malta which is a Lascarid holding...

So, the tide has turned in favor of the Laskarids. However the Angevins and their Latin allies have suffered defeats, but not crushing ones (yet). We also have to consider the elephant in the room aka Venice, who is strangely quiet. On the other hand, Hungary will fall on Naples with a vengeance.
It's somewhat pre-occupied besieging Zara, it would not fall till December 1346 in OTL. Which means they also happen to be at war with Hungary at the moment.
The Hospitalers must be crippled now, between their losses in the Chios naval battle and their financial losses due to the Florentine banking collapse. How many galleys have the Knights lost and which were their financial losses IOTL? I see them sueing forpeace rather soon.
The Hospital can count on a steady stream of volunteers coming east. Building a galley costs way less than paying for her crew. So they may have suffered losses but they are hardly out. And they not sign a peace against the express wishes of the pope. That's the sureproof way for the grand master to cease being the grand master...
On other topic, Umur is dead 3 years earlier than IOTL, perhaps Ioannis Kantakouzenos will fail ITTL? And perhaps the Despotate will be able to pick some territories from the collapsing Beylik of Aydin?
It short of has its hands full at the moment?
There is something missing here
The House of Barcelona sailing off to seek shelter with Peter IV of Aragon...
If there was a naval supremacy to begin with, since that's implies undisputed control of the sea, which the Angevins did not have as long as they had not crushed the Lascarid fleet, which they did not.

As matter stand, the involvement of Vignoso's Genoese galleys have restored the balance as the Lascarid galleys had been on the backfoot so far, which will allow them to conduct more offensive operations from now on, especially with Chios being relieved. But the Angevin fleet does not seem anywhere near crushed, and the control of the sea will remain heavily contested for the foreseeable future.
At the moment the Lascarids have the upper hand but nothing like crushing superiority. If Charles finds the money to hire the additional Grimaldi galleys their numerical edge becomes even thinner.
That elephant will have to take into account the Hungarians before getting involved, since Venice and Louis have 'overlapping' interests in Dalmatia.
Venice could probably rent out mercenary galleys to Naples however, if Charles has the money to pay for it (which is going to be increasingly problematic I suppose), or they could rent them out to Louis (I'm not sure how things stood out between Venice and Hungary at the time, but I guess they were not too bad for Louis to cross the Adriatic and invade Naples IOTL).
They are actually at war at the moment. In OTL Louis had to campaign overland to reach Naples as the Venetians would not let him cross the Adriatic. And this also means that for the time being they are keeping each other tied down.

Now, I guess that if Charles was to ask reinforcements, mercenaries or just funds to keep his campaigns against the Despotate afoot, he won't find any longer much help from Hungary; that will limit the options available to Angevins against Lascarids for now.
Italy is starting to become awash in mercenaries. So finding mercenaries as long as you can pay for them should not be much of a problem. Emphasis on pay them.

Kantakouzenos was not too thrilled about attacking the Lascarids in the first place, unlike Umur, and between the regency, the Serbs and the Bulgars, he has a lot on his plate so he won't make any further move against Lascarid Greece I surmise.
On the other hand, the Serbs are getting closer. With the fall of Durazzo and the kingdom of Albania, they are free to march south against Ioannina and Byzantine Epirus.
No one really in position to stop them at the moment.
Did the lascarid pikemen took part in the battle in great numbers or was it mostly a cavalry affair?
Yes, no, it depends on the patterns of recruitment. Post black death, if Calabria has not been lost to the Angevins I could see them shifting to a more infantry heavy force if for nothing else due to economic reasons.
I cannot wait to see a battle where Angevin knights clash with Lascarid pikemen.

By the way it also seems that Carlo Grimaldi won't be at Crecy.
Uncertain. The crossbowmen were led by Antonio Doria who unlike Grimaldi was a Ghibelline.
What of the Company of Saint George ? IOTL they were hired by Louis of Hungary, but if someone has a good reason and pockets furnished enough to pay for their service, it would be Theodore. Paying them to invade Naples from the north would be a good diversion I suppose, and take pressure off Sicily.
Lodrisio Visconti? He has already gotten crushed by his uncle in 1339. The second company won't be formed till 1365.

So after these naval engagements, of Messina and Chios, the Angevins and co have lost 8k men and 36 galleys most of them captured... Granted the Laskarids have lost themselves a lot of experienced sailors which will take some time to replace, still now the Ionian sea is purple(if the Laskarids still use that color)!
I am actually keeping count on naval manpower for both sides... but well that's not information you need at the moment. :angel:
I was expecting the Agathocles maneuver to be used this time around but maybe it seems out author wants us to forget that one...
Are you certain you have not seen it? Oh you people were taking it literally like trying to take Naples.
I love how we are seeing the vespers converting to Greek names, it really gives the impression that the Lascarids are changing Sicily in their image, and the name grypaios is a very cool name ngl. I'd bet that even though the higher classes are converting a lot more often than other groups such as the people of the communes the nobles are just the forerunners of the trend due to how connected they are to the Lascarids and the original revolt.
Well the place has grown to much for the not too big family of House Vatatzes to run everything, has it not? Well post that there was that useful site listing all Sicilian noble families with their history and getting around descendants of George Maniakes... why I had playes with the concemp of a breakaway Maniakes realm in Sicily back in the past.
With the Macedonian front heavily favouring the regency and with Umur dying much earlier, I think we're going to see the Ottomans come in much earlier too and probably fighting the Serbs. I don't see Kantakozenos not getting the Ottomans on the mainland, and with Umur dead I don't see why he wouldn't do it in the first place.
Not a Turk Kantakouzenos did not want to ally with...
With the hospitalars basically totalled, and Cyprus' fleet being crushed too, I don't see why the Lascarids won't go on a naval campaign after the angevins are crushed.
Neither is crushed at the moment...
the main thing I see is Louis starting a trend of the other European powers legitimising the Lascarids as the 'King of Sicily' or 'Duke of Sicily', which is always important for Lascarid actions within Europe.
Louis if showing up would be claiming "king of Sicily" for himself that was the title of the kings of Naples. "king of Trinacria" at most and even that not if he can avoid it.

So finding mercenaries as long as you can pay for them should not be much of a problem. Emphasis on pay them.
That's more or less what I was thinking at. I don't see Louis of Hungary lending Charles any more money to pay for them, or for crews to man his galleys.

Lodrisio Visconti? He has already gotten crushed by his uncle in 1339. The second company won't be formed till 1365.
I meant Werner von Urslingen. I thought he was still part of it, but anyways, he was a sword for hire active at that time in northern Italy, and one Theodore could pay I think. Maybe he'd serve under Theodore's cousin, John II of Montferrat, and open a new front in the north of the peninsula.
Though, I wonder what John II is up to while Charles and Theodore are at each other's throats in the south, since he has yet to appear in the TL.

Are you certain you have not seen it? Oh you people were taking it literally like trying to take Naples.
Genoa and Vignoso's galleys taken to the Aegean to relieve the siege of Chios ?
I'd have expected something of bigger magnitude. I mean, that's basically the reverse maneuver Theodore pulled in 1315/1316 when he stripped the Aegean of galleys to concentrate and crush Frederick's fleet off Syracuse, and that's a maneuver I half-expected him to pull again in either Greek or Sicilian waters since the war started, given he has the advantage of interior lines of communications through the Ionian sea.
Taking his army to mainland Italy, link up with Alexandros, ravage Campania and threaten Naples, that's more Agathocles', or Hannibal's, style I think. It's not about taking Naples, but the threat of it forcing Charles to recall the 10,000 men he deployed there back in June 1344; and incidentally, any transportation of that many men aboard Angevin galleys to Naples with a sense of panic could offer a golden opportunity for daring Lascarid fleet captains to battle the Angevin fleet on their terms.
That would have been the land version of Theodore's gamble in 1316, leaving Sicilian towns' defense bare, but would pay big, huge even, if successfull.
And unlike either Agathokles or Hannibal, Theodore and Alexios could then have fallen back on Calabria if needed, and from there, transfer back to Sicily across the Messina straits.

Last edited:
That would require fleets going past Malta which is a Lascarid holding...
Perhaps as important is that they have to row alongside the whole east coast of Sicily and the whole of Calabria. A galley squadron would need often to stop and replenish its water supplies.

king of Trinacria" at most and even that not if he can avoid it.
Theodore showed that he was content with his titles as Despot of Sicily and Duke of Calabria. I don't think there is a reason to assume a royal title while Lajos has an army in Italy.

Perhaps as important is that they have to row alongside the whole east coast of Sicily and the whole of Calabria. A galley squadron would need often to stop and replenish its water supplies.

Theodore showed that he was content with his titles as Despot of Sicily and Duke of Calabria. I don't think there is a reason to assume a royal title while Lajos has an army in Italy.
I don’t think he was necessarily content with the title of Despot of Sicily. Sure he is going to war against his liege, but it would be difficult for post-war negotiations if he declared himself king. It would be difficult for either side to back down once he did that. I can totally see him declaring himself an independent king only if he wins big and the Angevins are in no more shape and form to prosecute war. Otherwise, his aim is probably to just beat the crap out of the Angevins, get some concessions out of them and call it a day. Declaring himself king right now is a way of getting into an endless war with the Angevins.

Theoretical question. If Louis of Hungary considers Robert's line illegitimate, and thence he is the legitimate claimant to the kingdom of Sicily, does that mean that he could enfeoff anything to the Vatatzes despots?
Like enfeoffing Achaea to Alexandros, and while we are at it, Corfu, Arcanania, Aetolia, Basilicata and the Val di Mazara...

That's not like the Lascarids did not already switch allegiance from a king to another before, like from Frederick to Robert in 1316. If Louis of Hungary intervenes openly against Charles and the Tarantines, he might as well distributes fiefs he does not even control to gain support, and the Lascarid would have get a powerful ally and a veneer of legal support to claims on their lands (from Angevin point of view).

Last edited:
I see Sicilians in the Aegean reconquering all their holdings from the Neapolitans and maybe something more before returning with most of the fleet to Sicily to overwhelm Angevins fleet.

I meant Werner von Urslingen. I thought he was still part of it, but anyways, he was a sword for hire active at that time in northern Italy, and one Theodore could pay I think. Maybe he'd serve under Theodore's cousin, John II of Montferrat, and open a new front in the north of the peninsula.
Ah the "I'm the enemy of God, of pity and of mercy. And I have it written on my breastplate for everyone to know?" After his initial stint with the Hungarians where he was arrested for colluding with Joanna he mostly served for the pope, I'll leave without comment the pope hiring someone proclaiming he's the enemy of god. and Joanna. Seems to me excellent recruit material for Charles III. For House Vatatzes... not so much.

Taking his army to mainland Italy, link up with Alexandros, ravage Campania and threaten Naples, that's more Agathocles', or Hannibal's, style I think. It's not about taking Naples, but the threat of it forcing Charles to recall the 10,000 men he deployed there back in June 1344; and incidentally, any transportation of that many men aboard Angevin galleys to Naples with a sense of panic could offer a golden opportunity for daring Lascarid fleet captains to battle the Angevin fleet on their terms.
Or since the country is castellated and most nobles give their 60 days of service and no more... "you dear baron can fight the Greeks while I watch you kill each other."

That too. The only good option if you don't want Sicilian squadrons messing with you out of Syracuse or Messina is to hit south go along the African coast to Tunis and from there switch over to Sicily. I'm certain the Mamelukes and the Hafsids won't mind at all...

Or since the country is castellated and most nobles give their 60 days of service and no more... "you dear baron can fight the Greeks while I watch you kill each other."
And expect to stay long on the throne after failing to defend your thus far "loyal" vassals ? And who is going to pay the taxes funding the war then if Lascarid parties are ransacking the Regno?

I don’t think he was necessarily content with the title of Despot of Sicily. Sure he is going to war against his liege, but it would be difficult for post-war negotiations if he declared himself king. It would be difficult for either side to back down once he did that. I can totally see him declaring himself an independent king only if he wins big and the Angevins are in no more shape and form to prosecute war. Otherwise, his aim is probably to just beat the crap out of the Angevins, get some concessions out of them and call it a day. Declaring himself king right now is a way of getting into an endless war with the Angevins.
tbf originally I posted it thinking of Theodore Lascaris getting more European recognition and the desperate as a state to work with/against beyond the Med/Balkans.
And expect to stay long on the throne after failing to defend your thus far "loyal" vassals ? And who is going to pay the taxes funding the war then if Lascarid parties are ransacking the Regno?
Yeah I agree. I think its more likely for the peasants to give up and want to work with the Lascarids first rather than the barons refusing to fight when the Lascarids are shown to be very brutal to barons in Achaea, whereas the peasants know they could get concessions, especially since the desperate is right next to the kingdom of Naples and the peasants can easily be already trading information before the war...

Part 58
Constantinople, January 6th, 1346

Things had been steadily worsening for Alexios Apokaukos given the repeated defeats of the regency the previous year. Even his own son Manuel the governor of Adrianople had switched sides to Kantakouzenos. Apokaukos had reacted launching a series of proscriptions against suspected supporters of Kantakouzenos. It would not go well for him as relatives of the proscribed would ambush and murder him outside Hagia Sophia on the day of the Epiphany.

Thessaloniki, March 1346

The governor of the city, John Apokaukos declared for Kantakouzenos on the news of the death of his father. It did not go well as the commune of Thessaloniki would rise up again. John would be arrested and executed for his treason along with several more aristocrats supporting Kantakouzenos.

Rhodes, April 15th, 1346

Both the knights, reinforced by the papacy, and the Cypriots had built up their squadrons as match as they could following the second battle of Chios. But Charles III had steadfastly refused to reinforce his squadron in the Aegean either with new ships built in Marseilles and Naples or with additional ships hired from Charles Grimaldi fearing not without reason that they would be picked up piecemeal on their way east. The fleet under Martino Zaccaria still counted 37 galleys. But these were nearly matched in numbers by the 36 galleys to which Michael Philanthropenos had built up his fleet in Greece. If one added the 21 Genoese galleys Theodore had left in the Aegean despite news from his spies that Charles would have 60 galleys in Naples against his own 40, the Lascarids had 57 galleys available in the Aegean. And when Alexios Gryphon had sailed out of Piraeus with the entire fleet and nearly 100 transports in tow, Theodore and Michael had given him a single target on the advice of Alexios Philanthropenos. Not the islands lost in the previous two years. Rather the seat of enemy power, Rhodes itself.

Zaccaria would be forced to give battle, faced with the prospect of the Lascarid army landing on Rhodes unopposed. He would manage to inflict nearly 2,000 casualties on Gryphon but his fleet would lose 16 galleys captured and nearly 3,500 men killed Zaccaria included. The remnants of the Angevin and Cypriot squadrons would flee away, the 13 surviving Angevin ships sailing away first for Karpathos and from there to Corfu, the 3 Cypriot ones back to Cyprus.

The next day a Lascarid army of 5,000 men under Ioannis Buas would land on Ialysos, defeat the Hospitallers attempt to drive it off, the 400 knights in the island first stopped cold by Greek pike allagia and then driven back to Rhodes by Thessalian pronoia cavalry and stradioti. As both sides set themselves for a siege the island's peasantry rose up in support of their fellow Greeks. By summertime the knights remained in control only of the castles of Lindos, Archangelos and Rhodes itself...

Skopje, April 16th, 1346

An assembly of the patriarch of Bulgaria, the archbishop of Ohrid and several Athonite monks proclaimed the archbishop of Serbia Joanikije II patriarch of Serbia. Then the new patriarch proclaimed Stefan Dusan basileus and avtokrator of Serbs and Romans.

Adrianople, May 21st, 1346

Dusan had crowned himself emperor on Easter day. Ioannis Kantakoyzenos would choose Saint Constantine's day for Lazaros patriarch of Jerusalem to crown him basileus. Then for good measure a synod under Lazaros would excommunicate patriarch of Constantinople John XIV. Then two weeks under the coronation Ioannis VI would have his daughter Theodora married off to Orhan the Ottoman emir who had recently absorbed the emirate of Karasi to his realm. Kantakouzenos his army reinforced by Orhan would advance all the way to Selymbria a mere 75km from Constantinople. Anna of Savoy's attempts to find support of her own would fail spectacularly with the army of the despot of Dobrutja crushed by Kantakouzenos and a Turkish army of 6,000 from the emirate of Saruhan defecting to Kantakouzenos after first looting Thrace.

Rhodes, May 27th, 1346

Grand Master Helion de Villeneuve died aged 76. Dieudonne de Gozon who took over command of the knights forces was by all accounts a gallant man who claimed to had slain a dragon in Rhodes [1] This wasn't making his supply situation with Rhodes closely blockaded by 30 galleys on the seaward side and Buas on the landward side any better. And Buas unfortunately for De Gozon was not showing any hurry. After all he had plenty of supplies. Why lose men assaulting the fortifications the previous grand masters had reinforced? His siege engines had of course kept the walls under constant fire lest the defenders get any ideas, he had even used a couple odd contraptions brought from Sicily that made more noise and smoke than actual damage on the walls but otherwise he waited on the city to starve or someone to open a gate to him...

Lindos, June 6th, 1346

The Acropolis of Lindos was thought, not without reason, impregnable to assault. The 200 Eurytanians and Albanians that managed to climb the cliff on which the fortress was built in the dead of night had help from within from a number of bought over guards, while most of rest of the garrison was too complacent in their knowledge of the impregnability of the fort. This didn't make their feat, it would be written later that Buas had been inspired by reading about Alexander's similar feat at Sogdiane Petra, any less impressive.

1706567761889.jpeg

Lindos, courtesy Wikipedia

Messina, June 20, 1346

3,000 Moreot and Acarnaniam infantry and 1,000 cavalry under Manuel Rallis joined by 3000 Calabrians under Alexandros Doukas Lascaris before marching west to join Theodore's army already marching and counter-marching against Charles third invasion of Sicily.

Calabria, July 1346

Louis of Taranto led the third invasion of Calabria. He would not make any spectacular gains. He would make much greater gains than that idiot Andrew had made the past two years. That he faced much lighter resistance than the previous two years did not go unnoticed though. Alexandros and most of his army were nowhere to be seen. He did not fail to send the information to Charles in Sicily.

Mela river, Sicily, August 10, 1346

Not unsurprisingly both armies had concentrated their efforts at recovering in the case of Theodore or holding in the case of Charles Milazzo. what differed was that after two years of refusing to offer battle Theodore Doukas Lascaris, reinforced from his Greek holdings had finally decided to stand and fight. This wasn't a challenge Charles III was not going to accept when he had been seeking a decisive battle for the past two years. Apparently Theodore matched him now in numbers but Charles III had more than 4,000 men at arms and nearly 9,000 foot soldiers most of them heavily armed infantrymen and crossbowmen in the Italian fashion. Theodore's army was no different with about a third being cavalry, but notably most of his cavalry was light horse unlikely to stand up to a charge by his heavier knights.

Charles is off in his estimations, if not extremely so, Theodore by now has 17,000 men, 12,000 of them infantry. Not unlike its Neapolitan counterpart between a fifth and a quarter are crossbowmen. But over half of the total number are pikemen and the rest while nominally light infantry are heavily armed professionals from the despotate's Greek and Calabrian holdings. Of the cavalry about a third are heavy pronoia cavalry with the balance lighter stadioti. The battle not unlike that of Crecy fought in the same month will be decided by whether Charles heavy horse can carry the day. In many ways Charles men have it better than the ones of his brother in law in France, they do not have to advance into a storm of English arrows, the Sicilian crossbowmen are both fewer in number have less than a third the rate of fire. In others they have it worse as they lack the French numbers. The Neapolitans charge time after time backed by their infantry. And each time they are beaten back by the Sicilian pike allagia. And then Theodore throws his heavy horse into the battle. The Neapolitans are forced to retreat. Retreating in the face of thousands of Stradioti is never an easy proposition.

Mela will not prove the one sided rout Crecy will be, the Sicilians take nearly 3,000 casualties. But many of the wounded Sicilians will live to fight another day. The same is hardly the case for the 5,500 Neapolitans that lie dead on the battlefield. Alexadros was force marching back north the next day with 6,500 men.

Calabria, August 21st, 1346

No one could accuse Louis of Taranto of not having his priorities straight. In the absence of an enemy army he had advanced to raid the silver mines at Longobucco. Then when news of a large enemy army approaching him, he had ordered a retreat before Alexandros could trap him in the mountains. But he would be still forced to give battle north of Cozenza despite being outnumbered. Alexandros would lose about a thousand men. Louis twice as many.

Visegrad, Pest, September 1346

Louis I, king of Hungary was rather unimpressed by the claims of his uncle that the assassins of his brother had been dealt with. Yes the poor idiots that might have done the actual defenestration may have been killed for real. Or not. The mastermind though? His cousin was apparently leading an army in Calabria and remained Charles favorite. That was intolerable. But Louis for now had his hands tied down by the Venetian siege of Zara. He would bide his time for now. After all if the news he was receiving were accurate uncle Charles was doing a fine job to weaken himself at the moment...

Rhodes, October 17th 1346

"You know that by forcing the order to surrender the island, you prove you are schismatics, no better than infidels really."

"I'll remind you his holiness has excommunicated us. And you broke decades of working together with us to attack us with no real excuse. Oh and your ally placed Turkish garrisons on our islands you had taken. Now that we've dealt with your fleet they have declared for the new emir of Aydin. So allow me to remain unimpressed. Terms remain as they are. You surrender Rhodes and leave with your arms unscathed" Gryphon noted coldly. Ioannis Buas just muttered something with a smile in Albanian.

"What has he said?"

Buas smiled again before switching to perfect Italian, he had been raised in the Lascarid court after all. "That you should have confined yourself to hunting imaginary dragons, instead of attacking us"

Navarre, November 1346

Joan II, queen of Navarre had some reason to be concerned at the fate of her daughter. Blanche had been betrothed three times only for the prospective grooms to break the betrothals. The new one was somewhat unexpected given the contacts of her family with the French throne. And was not offering immediate political gain although it was potentially useful further down the road, checking the ambitions of the two major Iberian kingdoms or for that matter the Angevins. And what better prospect could appear but the sole heir of a king in all but name even one fought, unsuccessfully it appeared by the Angevin cousins? Joan had already signed a treaty with Edward III after Crecy. Signing a marriage contract with George Chrysafis, Theodore's envoy for the marriage of Alexandros and Blanche was easier to shallow....

[1] The skull of which was supposed to be on display till 1837. I really wonder what poor beast had been declared a dragon and how it had found its way on the island.

@Lascaris what a treat! The longest part to date, earlier than I expected! Thank you for this!

he had even used a couple odd contraptions brought from Sicily that made more noise and smoke than actual damage on the walls but otherwise he waited on the city to starve or someone to open a gate to him...
Are these preliminary cannons? Seems like Constantinople should fear a new power ITTL...

Always happy to see a further end to Frankokratia

3,000 Moreot and Acarnaniam infantry and 1,000 cavalry under Manuel Rallis joined by 3000 Calabrians under Alexandros Doukas Lascaris before marching west to join Theodore's army already marching and counter-marching against Charles third invasion of Sicily.
May I assume that by maneuvering Grecian units from Hellas to Sicily, Theodore and Michael are confident their Hellenic holdings are safe and that the sieges in Aetolia-akarnia were a success by 1346, thus allowing for Aetolia to join the Despotate's holdings? Or is that spoilers?

@Lascaris thank you for this extra long update.
Now that the Latin threat in the Aegean has been dealt with , the Despotate can move part of its fleet back to Sicily to crush the Angevin fleet there. Of course I imagine there will be some battles in the Aegean to recover the lost islands from the Turks.
In Thessaloniki, the commune will be forced to turn to the Lascarids for aid, when Stefan Dusan comes after them.
What does the Despotate win from the bethrothal agreement with Navarre? Besides this, wouldn't Joan II, queen of Navarre, be reluctant to give her daughter to a schismatic, excommunicated by the Pope?

I don’t think it was smart of the Sicilian Greeks to commit 5,000 soldiers to Rhodes when they could have reinforced their army in Sicily Or mainland Greece itself. They’d outnumber the Neapolitans if they had that 5k force. Rhodes is hardly profitable or important enough to worth committing such a sizeable force when there’s still major fighting on the mainland.

Skopje, April 16th, 1346

An assembly of the patriarch of Bulgaria, the archbishop of Ohrid and several Athonite monks proclaimed the archbishop of Serbia Joanikije II patriarch of Serbia. Then the new patriarch proclaimed Stefan Dusan basileus and avtokrator of Serbs and Romans.

Adrianople, May 21st, 1346

Dusan had crowned himself emperor on Easter day. Ioannis Kantakoyzenos would choose Saint Constantine's day for Lazaros patriarch of Jerusalem to crown him basileus. Then for good measure a synod under Lazaros would excommunicate patriarch of Constantinople John XIV. Then two weeks under the coronation Ioannis VI would have his daughter Theodora married off to Orhan the Ottoman emir who had recently absorbed the emirate of Karasi to his realm. Kantakouzenos his army reinforced by Orhan would advance all the way to Selymbria a mere 75km from Constantinople. Anna of Savoy's attempts to find support of her own would fail spectacularly with the army of the despot of Dobrutja crushed by Kantakouzenos and a Turkish army of 6,000 from the emirate of Saruhan defecting to Kantakouzenos after first looting Thrace.
Inb4 we get a War of the Four Emperors with the Lascarids making a claim for the Imperial Purple stolen from them by the Palaiologos.

he had even used a couple odd contraptions brought from Sicily that made more noise and smoke than actual damage on the walls
Am I hearing a gunpowder cannon in the distance ?

I really wonder what poor beast had been declared a dragon and how it had found its way on the island.
Some millions years old fossil I'd say.

Signing a marriage contract with George Chrysafis, Theodore's envoy for the marriage of Alexandros and Blanche was easier to shallow....
At long last... Let's hope their proginy will be somewhat larger than the previous generations.

I don’t think it was smart of the Sicilian Greeks to commit 5,000 soldiers to Rhodes when they could have reinforced their army in Sicily Or mainland Greece itself. They’d outnumber the Neapolitans if they had that 5k force. Rhodes is hardly profitable or important enough to worth committing such a sizeable force when there’s still major fighting on the mainland.
Its not about profit . Those 5000 men were used to close a front in a multi front war , a move that will allow long term freedom to focus west for the Lascarids . They were already outnumbering the Neapolitans after all after the troops from Greece arrived ...

"You know that by forcing the order to surrender the island, you prove you are schismatics, no better than infidels really."
Fortunately, Gryphon was able to capture Rhodes and end the siege before the Black Death arrives.

I could not get the exact moment of its arrival in Constantinople but I guess in spring-summer of 1347, so I guess we'll read about it in next week's update.
And since the Genoese are fighting alongside Lascarids, they'll be exposed even faster I surmise.

Now, since Zaccaria is dead and the Aegean fleet of the Angevins crushed, the blockading fleet will be free to move back to Sicilian waters, and from the numbers cited in the battle of Rhodes, the overall balance is, Genoese galleys included, 90/95 to 73 in the Lascarids' favor. Even leaving behind a dozen ships to deal with the Turks, that leaves the Lascarids in numerical superiority against the Angevins come the next campaign season (I mean when wether is good enough to sail out and engage in battle).
After the battle of the Mela river and the surrender of Rhodes, the next logical step would be seeking battle with the Angevin fleet in the Tyrrhenian sea and cut communications between Palermo and Naples.

Its not about profit . Those 5000 men were used to close a front in a multi front war , a move that will allow long term freedom to focus west for the Lascarids . They were already outnumbering the Neapolitans after all after the troops from Greece arrived ...
It's very much about profit. The Aegean is just a sideshow. The Hospitallers from Rhodes posed a much more limited threat to the Lascarids. The real knockout blow is always gonna be in Italy. Lose in Italy and you lose no matter how big you win in the Aegean. The Lascarids did something very similar early on when they let the Angevins roam free in the Aegean and concentrated all of their ships in Italy. In terms of army soldiers in Italy, they certainly did not outnumber the Neapolitans by a lot. Theodore had 17k to 13k that's Charles after the arrival of the reinforcements from Greece. If the 5k force had been sent to Italy instead, the situation would in Italy would have swung decisively over to the Lascarids, with Theodore's army almost being double that of Charles'.

Last edited:
It's very much about profit. The Aegean is just a sideshow. The Hospitallers from Rhodes posed a much more limited threat to the Lascarids. The real knockout blow is always gonna be in Italy. Lose in Italy and you lose no matter how big you win in the Aegean. The Lascarids did something very similar early on when they let the Angevins roam free in the Aegean and concentrated all of their ships in Italy. In terms of army soldiers in Italy, they certainly did not outnumber the Neapolitans by a lot. Theodore had 17k to 13k that's Charles after the arrival of the reinforcements from Greece. If the 5k force had been sent to Italy instead, the situation would in Italy would have swung decisively over to the Lascarids, with Theodore's army almost being double that of Charles'.
While the Aegean was a sideshow , it was one that couldn't be ignored without creating threats to half the Lascarid domain . Now that this is pretty much solved , Theodore can focus in the main theatre without the threat of losing islands while looking elsewhere .

Signing a marriage contract with George Chrysafis, Theodore's envoy for the marriage of Alexandros and Blanche was easier to shallow....
At long last... Let's hope their proginy will be somewhat larger than the previous generations.
Well, Wikipedia does call her one of the most beautiful princesses of her time, and considering her husband this time around is 20, only about 5 or so years older than her, odds are that this will be a rather good match for both of them and one that will prove highly fruitful in terms of progeny. Alexandros is also unlikely to die due to "exhaustion from constantly fulfilling his conjugal duties" which is rumored to have been what killed her OTL husband who was also 40 years (shudder) her senior.

Here's hoping it goes well for them.