The eagle's left head

Well, that is a bit tricky...while the Lascarid Despotate represents an older claim to Hauteville Sicily, they became, willingly, vassals to the new claim of the House Anjou...which kinda explains quite why Louis of Tarent reacted as he did. He can hedge for time, accepting the truce, waiting for a better time to regain the lost provinces. Same goes for the Hungarian Anjou.
On the other hand, the Aragonese already accepted the loss of Sicily once(against the Anjou), so their claim has weakened somewhat. I´d expect the Vatatzes play up the fact that Constance(Anna) was the 'eldest' child born from Bianca Lancia a bit more, perhaps building some new burial place for the empress...

If the LD allies with Castilia in the future Granada might or might not become a ally. In the OTL it was a vassal to Castilia, but, who knows, perhaps the LD ruffels feathers with the kingdom and helps Granada keeping their independence
I think they will just become rivals due to the want to control the Med, with any claim coming from both the Aragonese and Lascarids are more justifications than anything else. I could see an Aragonese-Anjou alliance at least once, for example.

I'm more thinking that if Spain becomes a personal union between Spain and Aragon they'd be in big trouble.

Not really? They still have the problem of being trapped in the Med and Black seas, and the Central Asian trade routes would slowly die off as the South African trade route becomes the main route for trade between Europe and Asia, not to mention the American-to-Asia silver trade.

In terms of the long run I do think a North African conquest is more beneficial than Anatolia, but I defo see Anatolia being the first region the Lascarids would want to conquer.

But Morocco would be their ticket to the Atlantic, especially if they start with the Atlantic trade with Britain and with Aragon/Spain trying to shut the strait of Gibraltar from the Lascarids, and I don't see the Lascarids not reacting to that. Maybe they conquer Gibraltar instead, but it'd just mean they have to fight everyone else too, so Morocco makes more sense. It'd also help with piracy in the region too, which is something the Lascarids would care about. A lot.

I think there's not enough time for them to become islamised yet, and at least western Anatolia should be comfortably greek and christian for now.
I cannot see how they are able to conquer and hold North Africa.Various European powers tried and failed in this period.It’s a completely hostile environment where they don’t have the same type of local knowledge and influence as they would in Anatolia. Furthermore, even if they could take it, their hold over the Straits of Gibraltar would be shaky at best and easily cut off by the likes of Aragon, Castile and Portugal. It would also be a stretch to think that the Lascarids would have the foresight to conquer North Africa for the sake of some unknown continent to the far west. If they are to take North Africa, Egypt would be a better choice due to it’s ability to tap into the Indian/Pacific Ocean trade.

Last edited:
I think they will just become rivals due to the want to control the Med, with any claim coming from both the Aragonese and Lascarids are more justifications than anything else. I could see an Aragonese-Anjou alliance at least once, for example.

I'm more thinking that if Spain becomes a personal union between Spain and Aragon they'd be in big trouble.
Honestly? I´m really not sure if Laskaris intends for a reconquest of Anatolia or Konstantinopel ITTL. I thought so for a while at the start, but now the LD is an entity of it´s own.

What if the Vatatzes decide to recover their northern roots and surrender their crown to the HRE, becoming an eight elector to the HRR?

Just joking. It is a bit late to enter Emperor Charles IV. plans for reorganization of the HRE.

Though, what if the LD endures through all the fights and later, post 1500, crosses over to the Americas and develop colonies there?

You mean Castilia and Aragon? I´m not sure. ITTL, the LD has kept Aragon from developing further than in the OTL and the 100 Years War, the Portugese and Granada offer multiple angles to take influence in Castilia.

Though, what if the LD endures through all the fights and later, post 1500, crosses over to the Americas and develop colonies there?
They are an East Mediterranean power with no prospect of ever having an Atlantic port, where is the colonization of America talk coming from?

I cannot see how they are able to conquer and hold North Africa.Various European powers tried and failed in this period.It’s a completely hostile environment where they don’t have the same type of local knowledge and influence as they would in Anatolia. Furthermore, even if they could take it, their hold over the Straits of Gibraltar would be shaky at best and easily cut off by the likes of Aragon, Castile and Portugal. It would also be a stretch to think that the Lascarids would have the foresight tp conquer North Africa for the sake of some unknown continent to the far west. If they are to takr North Africa, Egypt would be a better choice due to it’s ability to tape into the Indian/Pacific Ocean trade.
What if they develop friendly ties with the Nasrids of Granada and get Gibraltar from them?

You mean Castilia and Aragon? I´m not sure. ITTL, the LD has kept Aragon from developing further than in the OTL and the 100 Years War, the Portugese and Granada offer multiple angles to take influence in Castilia.
Besides, that Gibraltar without the Canaries Islands, would be pretty useless, as was already noted that they are a Mediterranean power and now after to have stalemated to Dusan, a Balkan one, too. But, for that it, would have any possibilities to came to happen, out of a Habsburg like Dynastic 'jackpot'... IMO, it would require an Atlantic perspective, sailing technical development and a level of foreknowledge, practically imposible not only for the Vatastez but for any of their contemporaneous.
What if they develop friendly ties with the Nasrids of Granada and get Gibraltar from them?
It would require,at very least, a direct political and military alliance with Grenada and the involvement in both the Iberian affairs and the Fez (Benimerines/Moroccans) ones.

Besides, that Gibraltar without the Canaries Islands, would be pretty useless, as was already noted that they are a Mediterranean power and now after to have stalemated to Dusan, a Balkan one, too. But, for that it, would have any possibilities to came to happen, out of a Habsburg like Dynastic 'jackpot'... IMO, it would require an Atlantic perspective, sailing technical development and a level of foreknowledge, practically imposible not only for the Vatastez but for any of their contemporaneous.

It would require,at very least, a direct political and military alliance with Grenada and the involvement in both the Iberian affairs and the Fez (Benimerines/Moroccans) ones.
Why would it be useless without the Canaries? There is this strange island nation that owns this little piece of Earth since 300 years ago and they never owned the Canaries, What kind of logic is that?

Did you not recognize the 'post 1500' line? We don´t know yet what Lascaris has in mind for his timeline, but who says that a certain Genuese man isn´t hired by the LD?
And even without Columbus, I think we can predict that a LD that still exists in the sixteenth century might found a couple of colonies in the Americas.

For Granada: if the have an alliance with the Nasrid dynasty, they both would profit from such an arrangement. The LD would get a port in the Western Mediterrean and the Nasrids would have a territory that couldn´t be claimed by the Reconquista

Why would it be useless without the Canaries?
Well, as any ppl with interest in the Iberian 'discovery/exploration travels' and particularly their America colonization period, could tell you... First, that Gibraltar due to its size and location raison d'etre, is to serve as well fortified Naval choke point either for help to control the Med-Atlantic entrance/exits or for negate it. And not to serve as a (bad) substitute for Lisbon or Seville. Also, due to logistical constrains for a Sicilian-Greece based State. But, specifically due to the North Atlantic-African and Caribbean winds patterns (trade winds) geographical, (age of sail) travel times, and geopolitical conditionings, the Macaronesian islands proved to be key for any inter Atlantic colonial/trade ventures
There is this strange island nation that owns this little piece of Earth since 300 years ago and they never owned the Canaries,
Dunno, why you think that your example, would be relevant for the present discussion... Cause, I'd guess that you are aware such 'strange island nation', as you defined it, isn't a Mediterranean power but a European/North Atlantic one, not?
What kind of logic is that?
I'd question the same plus your historical and derived from it, logistical, knowledge...
Did you not recognize the 'post 1500' line? We don´t know yet what Lascaris has in mind for his timeline, but who says that a certain Genuese man isn´t hired by the LD?
And even without Columbus, I think we can predict that a LD that still exists in the sixteenth century might found a couple of colonies in the Americas.
Again, that's a non sequitur, supposing that the mentioned 'Genoese man', wouldn't be butterflied, and while we still don't know what would resemble post 1500, Vaztastez State.. But, even so and with the possible Dynastic exception, above mentioned),I still think that would be valid to question what possible interests or more relevant, what capabilities, would have such State in any Atlantic or inter Atlantic ventures...

Last edited:
Why would it be useless without the Canaries? There is this strange island nation that owns this little piece of Earth since 300 years ago and they never owned the Canaries, What kind of logic is that?

For Granada: if the have an alliance with the Nasrid dynasty, they both would profit from such an arrangement. The LD would get a port in the Western Mediterrean and the Nasrids would have a territory that couldn´t be claimed by the Reconquista
For the Lascarids to gain and retain control of Gibraltar,Castile must be fragmented. Otherwise they have just as much luck retaining it as the Empire did Spania. There’s a good reason why the Ottomans IOTL didn’t colonize the Americas. As mentioned repeatedly, the Lascarids are unlikely to retain strong enough control over the region for them to reap the benefits of colonisation. The likes of England,Burgundy(assuming they survived largely intact), France etc will be able to easily poach the Lascarids’ colonies and there’s little the Lascarids could do to retaliate.

Well, as any ppl with interest in the Iberian 'discovery/exploration travels' and particularly their America colonization period, could tell you... First, that Gibraltar due to its size and location raison d'etre, is to serve as well fortified Naval choke point either for help to control the Med-Atlantic entrance/exits or for negate it. And not to serve as a (bad) substitute for Lisbon or Seville. Also, due to logistical constrains for a Sicilian-Greece based State. But, specifically due to the North Atlantic-African and Caribbean winds patterns (trade winds) geographical, (age of sail) travel times, and geopolitical conditionings, the Macaronesian islands proved to be key for any inter Atlantic colonial/trade ventures

Dunno, why you think that your example, would be relevant for the present discussion... Cause, I'd guess that you are aware such 'strange island nation', as you defined it, isn't a Mediterranean power but a European/North Atlantic one, not?

I'd question the same plus your historical and derived from it, logistical, knowledge...

Again, that's a non sequitur, supposing that the mentioned 'Genoese man', wouldn't be butterflied, and while we still don't know what would resemble post 1500, Vaztastez State.. But, even so and with the possible Dynastic exception, above mentioned),I still think that would be valid to question what possible interests or more relevant, what capabilities, would have such State in any Atlantic or inter Atlantic ventures...
Please, then, enlighten me, how a certain nation could have even found North Atlantic colonies, without even owning even one of your macaronis?
Just curious...

I distinctly remember putting possible despotate colonies into a post 1500 timeframe. Gibraltar would be a point of control, yes, that could be important against Castilia some day

Well, why shouldn´t a strong despotate not follow behind France, the Netherlands and Portugal and stake a claim in the Americas? Let´s say the Lesser Antilles get colonized by the LD somewhere post 1600...

Please, then, enlighten me, how a certain nation could have even found North Atlantic colonies, without even owning even one of your macaronis?
Just curious...

I distinctly remember putting possible despotate colonies into a post 1500 timeframe. Gibraltar would be a point of control, yes, that could be important against Castilia some day

Well, why shouldn´t a strong despotate not follow behind France, the Netherlands and Portugal and stake a claim in the Americas? Let´s say the Lesser Antilles get colonized by the LD somewhere post 1600...
They took a different route. If you are going through the Mediterranean, you probably need to pass the Canaries.

I'm not sure why you all are so convinced that they need access to the Atlantic through Gibraltar to become a top-tear colonial power, especially when the population you all want to send out to colonize distant lands would be much better suited to colonize the old imperial lands of the near east (Anatolia, The Levant, Egypt, and North Africa) after the Despotate reforms the empire and reconquers them thus allowing them to bring those territories back into the Greco-Roman cultural sphere. Seriously the way you are all talking it's as if the Western European powers are going to go on a colonial spree in the next decade and the Despotate needs to get in on the action, when in reality it took almost another two centuries for successful settler colonies to take root in the new world.

By that point, I'm fully expecting to see a revitalized empire (of which the Despotae is the current seed) controlling Anatolia, The Levant, Egypt, and North Africa east of Tunis with numerous Greco-Roman colonies spread throughout, meaning their most obvious path into the colonial game will be through Suez (perhaps with a new iteration of the canal of the Pharaohs) down the eastern coast of Africa and into the Indian Ocean. If the Portuguese and Dutch could do so from around the Cape I see no reason why it couldn't be done through the Red Sea.

I cannot see how they are able to conquer and hold North Africa.Various European powers tried and failed in this period.It’s a completely hostile environment where they don’t have the same type of local knowledge and influence as they would in Anatolia. Furthermore, even if they could take it, their hold over the Straits of Gibraltar would be shaky at best and easily cut off by the likes of Aragon, Castile and Portugal. It would also be a stretch to think that the Lascarids would have the foresight to conquer North Africa for the sake of some unknown continent to the far west. If they are to take North Africa, Egypt would be a better choice due to it’s ability to tap into the Indian/Pacific Ocean trade.
This so much this. Roger I of Sicily magaed to hold Tunisia only for his son to lose it. Charles V invaded Oran only to flees in disgrace. North Africa isn’t the greatest place to invade much less colonised during that time frame

I'm not sure why you all are so convinced that they need access to the Atlantic through Gibraltar to become a top-tear colonial power, especially when the population you all want to send out to colonize distant lands would be much better suited to colonize the old imperial lands of the near east (Anatolia, The Levant, Egypt, and North Africa) after the Despotate reforms the empire and reconquers them thus allowing them to bring those territories back into the Greco-Roman cultural sphere. Seriously the way you are all talking it's as if the Western European powers are going to go on a colonial spree in the next decade and the Despotate needs to get in on the action, when in reality it took almost another two centuries for successful settler colonies to take root in the new world.

By that point, I'm fully expecting to see a revitalized empire (of which the Despotae is the current seed) controlling Anatolia, The Levant, Egypt, and North Africa east of Tunis with numerous Greco-Roman colonies spread throughout, meaning their most obvious path into the colonial game will be through Suez (perhaps with a new iteration of the canal of the Pharaohs) down the eastern coast of Africa and into the Indian Ocean. If the Portuguese and Dutch could do so from around the Cape I see no reason why it couldn't be done through the Red Sea.
I don’t see the Despotate necessarily taking back the entirety of Anatolia, let alone the lost southern provinces. So far the Despotate has been rolling sixes by having a series of competent rulers, but they are not Ottomans. They don’t have harems or the fratricidal type of succession that is designed to produce a ridiculous number of children and then have them play the hunger games in order to ensure that the next ruler is super competent.

Last edited:
Part 65
Syracuse, December 1355

Alexandros II was tempted. Sorely tempted to fight on now that Serbia finally was on the back foot having to also face the Hungarians in the north. But the despotate had had to deal with all out war for the past decade, with the black death ravaging the land on top of it. Hundreds of thousands had died, debt was in excess of 1.5 million florins and threatened to get out of control. The country needed peace to catch up its breath.

Messina, April 1356

Ioannis Buas brought three thousand men from Greece. Some of were Sicilians and Calabrians Theodore had brought with him east, although Alexandros what taken most of them back to Italy the previous year. Most of them were Greeks, Albanians, Vlachs and surviving Cuman mercenaries that would be given pronoias to settle in Apulia and Basilicata in return for military service.

Molyvos, Lesbos, April 1356

The castle garrison was taken by surprise at the sight of two dozen war galleys and even more merchant ships bearing the double headed eagle of House Vatatzes out of the morning fog. With over six thousand soldiers under Michael Rallis landing in the island, the castle garrison would surrender after only token resistance and Rallis would march south towards Mytiline. Ioannis V had not taken well to Manuel rejecting his orders and killing his new brother in law in battle. Being nearly bankrupt and having no fleet of his own he had turned west for aid. Alexandros was all too happy to oblige him for his own reasons. After all Lesbos and Phokaia thanks to their alum mines were rich...

Zagreb, April 1356

King Louis of Hungary had gathered an army of 35,000 men for the invasion of Serbia. With pope Innocent VI having conveniently proclaimed a crusade in support of the Hungarian invasion, Louis begun his march east. It was time for Stefan Dusan to be dealt with...

Kragujevac, July 1356

Stefan Dusan had prudently tried to avoid battle in the face of superior Hungarian numbers. Just as practically Louis had unleashed his light cavalry to loot, nurn and rape, all in the name of bringing Serbia back to the true church of course. And thus Stefan had been forced to give battle despite his army of 25,000 men being outnumbered by the Hungarians. Dusan had by now enough experience in big field battles to extricate himself when things start turning wrong but his army still lost nearly 4,500 men. But the Hungarians would also lose about three thousand men, shockingly high casualties for Louis who was not accustomed to such losses in his previous wars...

Kyreneia, August 1356

Manuel Kantakouzenos disembarked from the ship bringing him and his wife Isabella de Lusignan to Cyprus. Trying to hold at bay the far larger Lascarid army had proven impossible back in Lesbos the army and fleet Alexandros II had sent after him had outnumbered his own by four to one. He had to give it to Vatatzes he was not doing things by halves unlike his father. So when Alexandros, through the new katepano of Hellas, George Chrysafis, a diplomat not a general he noted, had offered him to surrender on terms he had taken him up on the offer instead continuing what appeared to be a futile fight. And then he had probably surprised Chrysafis in turn when instead of sailing north for Thrace where his brother still held Adrianople he had instead sailed south for Cyprus. But it made sense. He did not much fancy the chances of his brother. Better Cyprus where Isabella was lady of Aradippou and as the granddaughter of king Hugh III and daughter of the king of Armenia Constantine IV would have a fair bit of influence. After all Cyprus was prospering and he was not coming to the island penniless...

Poitiers, September 1356

It was not true that English longbowment were invincible. But when things went as the English wanted them then casualties were disproportionately in their favor, a not uncommon occurrence when an army got routed. And the French despite coming close to breaking the English defensive lines and this time fighting mostly as dismounted infantry had been routed when a small English force had managed to attack them in the rear. Thousand of men at arms and common soldiers would end up either dead or captured, with Walter VI of Brienne who had exchanged Neapolitan for French service dying in action and the French king John II being captured by the English.

Syracuse, October 1356

The third daughter of Alexandros II and Agnes of Navarre, born back in January was christened Anna after Alexandros great grandmother Anna of Hohenstauffen. And if there was any discomfort at the ruling couple having only daughters so far, these were subdued lest they reach them or worse Adrienne who was very fond of her daughter in law. After all Agnes was barely 25. Surely more children would come...

Constantinople, April 1357

His serenity, basileus of the Romans Ioannis V looked at the old man in front of him in frustration. Leo Kalothetos had been born in Chios. So was his subject. If one forgot that Chios was directly ruled from Syracuse for the past two generations. Of course the empire maintained the fiction that the despotate of Sicily was rightful imperial territory, something the despots recognized when they found convenient and ignored when they did not. To exacerbate things while the previous despot was a friend of his late father, which had proven useful during the two civil wars against Kantakouzenos he had never met Alexandros in person.

"It is only proper that the despot follows my instructions to return Lesbos and Phokaia, which we are grateful he liberated in our name from the usurper Kantakouzenos of course, returns now both to our control. As a reward for his services we will provide him the sum of 100,000 heperpyra."

"I'm under strict orders to insist that the administration of Lesbos and Phokaia will be retained by the despot."

"That is not acceptable. I order both you and him as our imperial subjects to surrender them immediately to the governor we will appoint."

"This is out of the question. The island and Phokaia remain with us. Assign them to Alexandros as governor so that you can retain the fiction of ruling over him."

"That is intolerable. YOU are intolerable. You are a subject of the basileus and will behave as such! Or else."

Kalothetos was a capable man. None had ever accused him of not being a prideful man who would not back down easily though. The elder Alexandros, Ioannis and Theodore had carefully cultivated him over half a century lest he cause them trouble in their control of the ever important Chios, giving him high office as far away from Chios and as close to their eyes as they could. Alexandros II had done the same making him his mesazon and sending him as his envoy to deal with Ioannis V over Lesbos. Perhaps he should had chosen a more diplomatic man. Now Kalothetos outright sneered at Ioannis.

"Last time your great-grandfather got such ideas Theodore took away Peloponnese. I'm not giving up Lesbos so that you can lose it to some Turkish emir or hand it over to a Genoese pirate. YOU should be grateful Manuel isn't a danger any more."

"Intolerable I say. I'M the basileus!" Kalothetos just sneered again. In front of what was not a private audience. The last thing Ioannis needed was his imperial authority being outright flaunted in such a way in front of his entire court. His hold on the purple was still shaky after all...

"Throw that treasonous scum to a cell."

Kalothetos for the first time was properly startled. "I'm an envoy!"

"You are my subject. Bearing messages from another of my subjects. Refusing my orders. Take this scum away I said!" Kalothetos would be literally dragged out of the court by imperial guards and thrown to the prison of Anemas. In his sixties he would die there a week later.

Syracuse, June 5th, 1357

Alexandros II despot of Sicily and Hellas had initially been taken aback from the news from Constantinople. From the reports he had received Leo Kalothetos had behaved... less than diplomatically. But this didn't mean he could afford the joke playing at being basileus of the Romans treating his envoys this way or thinking he could give him orders. After all his grandfather had more rights to the purple. He and his father had not pursued them for the good of the empire and that what he what his family was getting in return? Something had to be done and this properly viewed was as much an opportunity as a problem. He would not claim the purple outright, his mother was right to advise this was liable to cause more trouble than it was worth at the moment. Taking a page from Stefan Dusan, instead Alexandros was crowned on the day of the pentecost basileus of Sicily and Hellas by the archbishop of Syracuse, with the imperial crown jewels pawned by Anna of Savoy to Alexandros uncle, used for the coronation...

Taking a page from Stefan Dusan, instead Alexandros was crowned on the day of the pentecost basileus of Sicily and Hellas by the archbishop of Syracuse, with the imperial crown jewels pawned by Anna of Savoy to Alexandros uncle, used for the coronation...
In the words of the Roman Senate, Felicior Augusto, melior Traiano.

I don’t see the Despotate necessarily taking back the entirety of Anatolia, let alone the lost southern provinces. So far the Despotate has been rolling sixes by having a series of competent rulers, but they are not Ottomans. They don’t have harems or the fratricidal type of succession that is designed to produce a ridiculous number of children and then have them play the hunger games in order to ensure that the next ruler is super competent.

To be honest, often was the case that the one who was backed by the most powerful faction (not personal competence usually), would imprison the siblings that didn't survive and would restrict access to proper education. So the end result were spares that lacked the needed competency to be a ruler.

After all Lesbos and Phokaia thanks to their alum mines were rich...
Martino Zaccaria looked at the chysobull granting him control of Lesbos with satisfaction. Just the alum mines of his new realm gave him about 28,000 ducats nearly as much as the 29,000 he was getting from Phokaia. And his new holding was rich and populus with over 38,000 people

Those 57k ducats will help quite a bit when it comes to deleveraging.

After all Cyprus was prospering and he was not coming to the island penniless...
Did he bring his fleet with him or he just arrived with that single ship and his treasure? If it is the latter case, how many galleys were captured by Rallis and Chrysafis ?

"Intolerable I say. I'M the basileus!"
To paraphrase a fictional character: Any man who must say 'I am the basileus' is no true basileus at all.

instead Alexandros was crowned on the day of the pentecost basileus of Sicily and Hellas by the archbishop of Syracuse, with the imperial crown jewels pawned by Anna of Savoy to Alexandros uncle, used for the coronation...
And the Empire of Sicily and Hellas is born!

Time to snap up any Imperial holdings in the Aegean, if there are any left
The islands of Lemnos, Imbros, Skyros, Skiathos, Skopelos, Samothrace and Tenedos are up for grabs and most likely they will welcome Chrysafis in order to be properly protected from the turkish raiders.

The timing is truly magnificent: Venice will be in war with Lajos and won't be in a position to react and Emperor Alexander will get a stranglehold over the Straights with Lemnos, Imbros and Tenedos and quite possible Pegae as well.

Once Lemnos is in Alexandros hands and he installs a loyal garrison, it will be very difficult to lose it. The island is well fortified with four castles: the castles of Moudros, Scala, Kotzinos and above all Myrina. Kotzinos is an important stronghold, the only castle in Greece built on a motte ( raised over a freshwater spring) that I know off. The sea covers two sides and the rest would be covered by a wide moat making it effectively an islet. But Myrina is one of the strongest castles in Greece and can fall realistically only by starving it out. Licario in the 1270s besieged it for two years and the castle surrendered only when the deceased lord's wife decided that there is no point in further resistance. The strong currents from the Dardanelles make it so that most merchant traffic passes by Lemnos. Overall, Lemnos is good real estate.

But how much income would these islands provide ? Kritovoulos mentions that in the 15th century, Demetrios Palaiologos received 6-9k ducats from Thasos (in TTL it is lascarid already), Lemnos, Imbros and Samothrace. But the island also provided tribute to the Ottomans. The tribute of Lemnos was 2,350 ducats and of Imvros 1,200. The tribute of Skyros, Skiathos and Skopelos provided another 300 ducats. Overall, I think that the remaining byzantine islands can provide an income of at least 10,000 ducats.

To be honest, often was the case that the one who was backed by the most powerful faction (not personal competence usually), would imprison the siblings that didn't survive and would restrict access to proper education. So the end result were spares that lacked the needed competency to be a ruler.
Being able to form a faction and install yourself as ruler is a vital skill as well. If you couldn’t form a faction to propel you to the throne, chances are that you can’t keep the throne either. Making friends and building a core faction of supporters is a vital skill for any ruler. At any rate, a lot of the older princes were made governors during their fathers’ lifetime. If they had the competence, they could by all means crush those factions by military force.There was no set rule on how to become sultan except to survive and purge the other brothers, either through intrigue , military force or even pure luck. Someone like Andronikos II would not have survived such a cut throat fight for the throne. Few people would likely back his attempt to take the throne due to his idiocy.

Last edited: