If Bush wants to find a new market for his business, he should look to the Middle East.
Between his Father's contacts in the oil industry and Vladimir the Idiot contacts with former Soviet Army officers who are looking foe work, there should be plenty of opportunities to play both sides against each other and make a killing.
After what happened in South Africa, the British are going to be very reluctant to ask for help from Germany again.

However, George also knew that Vladimir was good at making grandiose, but ultimately impractical, plans and the word “no” was one that he did seem to understand the meaning of.

Eh, perhaps you meant that he did not seem to understand, at least that is my impression of the discussion?

Mr. Bush seems to be far more intelligent than Vlad, and able to adapt to changing circumstances. He'll be stirring up trouble somewhere soon enough :evilsmile:

Perhaps annoying the british and the french somewhere in Africa?

Barbara said, "George, honey, when can we go back to Texas? I know all those people are saying such bad things about our friends, but there's no truth in them, is there? You said there's a material witness warrant, but you can just clear it all up. You weren't invoved in that Augusta thing, were you?

"Anyway, I want to go back to Texas where our family and friends are. Little Dubya misses his friends and so do I. It's not right that all of us have to live here surrounded by Spanish-speaking papists."

With a Material Witness warrant out on him from the US government, GHWB is going to find out that there are very few places in the world that will take him.
While Argentina and the United States do not have an Extradition Treaty, I doubt that they will turn a blind eye to anyone remotely connected to the Augusta Conspiracy living in their country.
There will be quite a bit of unwanted attention from other countries intelligence services looking into his activities and associates.
So I see a couple of possibilities, one GHWB is expelled from Argentina as an "Undesirable Alien", two a foreign intelligence service picks him up for "questioning", or he finds some very remote place on Earth to hide out in, no matter what it will not be good for him.

Part 54, Chapter 747
Chapter Seven Hundred Forty-Seven

7th August 1949

Potsdam

“I can be your advisor, or I can be your hand out in the world” Kat had said, “But I cannot do both of those things, not anymore.”

That was how Katherine had concluded her briefing with Kira a week earlier. An action that had surprised the Empress. She’d thought that Kat liked doing what she did but the way she said it suggested that this wasn’t a decision that she had reached lightly. Kira understandably wanted to understand why, but Katherine had just asked Kira to respect her choices and to make a choice of her own in a timely matter. Then she had walked out.

For one of the few times in her adult life Kira was at a complete loss. Yes, she held the title of Empress, but she had little sway if Katherine just stopped answering her phone like she had. When men from the 1st Imperial Foot arrived at her front door they were told that unless Kira had an answer for her, the Gräfin wasn’t interested in having visitors. Eventually, Kira turned to someone present who knew Katherine, but it was also somebody who Kira didn’t particularly like very much.

Dame Lagertha von Wolvogle was spending more time in the Imperial Court over the previous weeks since her husband had been deployed to South Africa along with the rest of the 2nd Life Hussars. Kira found Gerta’s manner flighty, syrupy and incredibly annoying. However, she’d been Katherine’s friend since the von Richthofen family had desperately tried to find a more appropriate companion for their daughter than the train hopping street urchin that Katherine had been at the time. Things hadn’t quite gone according to plan when Katherine hadn’t gone anywhere even though the eccentric daughter of Ritter von Wolvogle had entered the picture.

Gerta tapped her toes and shuffled her feet nervously, causing the bells laced into her shoes to ring. She was wearing her usual Bohemian faux Gipsy finery, aggravating Kira to no end. “I’m not surprised that Kat is making changes” Gerta said, “Considering everything that’s been going on.”

“What’s been going on?”

Gerta shuffled nervously some more. “It’s a personal matter” She said, “If Kat didn’t tell you, it’s really not my place to…”

“You brought it up, not me” Kira said flatly. One of the saving graces when it came to her dealings with Gerta was that she frequently didn’t think before she spoke, couldn’t keep a secret to save her life and was the weak link when it came to secrets among the three furies. Kira regarded it as something of a last resort.

“Our poor little cat” Gerta said, clearly reluctant to say more.

“Yes, what about her?”

“She’ll kill me if I tell you.”

There were times when Gerta behaved like she was twelve as opposed to being an accomplished woman in her own right. Kira found it her least endearing habit.

“I need to know what’s going on so that I can make sense of what Katherine asked of me” Kira said, “I’m sure she’ll understand that, and I’m ordering you to tell me what is going on.”

Gerta stood there for a long moment, trying to figure out what to say. “In June… Kat, well… uhm” She said trying to find the right words, “She went to the Doctor’s and they found she wasn’t pregnant but had been which caused her to get depressed.” That came out in a barely understandable rush, but Kira got the gist of it.

Kira remembered Katherine during that time, reading articles in a monotone voice, distracted and withdrawn. She’d assumed that it was because she was still upset over what had happened with Jehane. There had been far more to it then that. Katherine had said nothing? Instead she’d just made a strange request months later.

8th August 1949

Knox Atoll, Marshall Islands

It was the early morning hours. The sunrise was only a gray streak on the eastern horizon. Aboard the SMS Albatros no one was sleeping. There was a feeling of excitement as the clocks counted down. The delays in this project had given researchers in Kempten time to spend the last several months perfecting the latest device, smaller, lighter and more powerful than the previous one that had been detonated three years earlier in these same islands.

Everything went according to plan, at 5am local time, the atomic bomb detonated under the island.

Washington D.C.

When Nancy returned to her desk from lunch she noticed that there was a peculiar buzzing in the background. Like a hum just below her hearing. Everyone was whispering among themselves. More than few of the other trainees had left the room to go to one of the supervisor’s office where there was said to be a radio.

“What’s going on?” Nancy asked a man as he walked past.

“You didn’t hear” He said, “Reports are coming in wherever there’s a seismograph, the Germans lit off another device just now somewhere in the Pacific.”

“Device?” Nancy asked.

“Atomic bomb” The man answered before walking away.

A couple hours later they had all been gathered in the same room where they had been given the introductory presentation weeks earlier. The difference was that this time it wasn’t some Deputy droning on in clichés. It was Dean Acheson, the Secretary of State himself and what looked like half the Washington Press Corps. The speech he gave was a prepared statement about the importance of the work they were doing. That humanity could no longer afford to go to war to solve problems and the fate of civilization itself would depend on diplomatic solutions.

Later, as she walked home Nancy thought about the sad, haunted looks that she saw on the faces of people she knew who had gone to war when they thought no one was watching. Her own father and her friends in Germany. She realized that it was something that no one should have to go through, it broke them on some level. Now this, atomic bombs, what sort of person could use one of those as a weapon? She realized that she knew who. Someone who was desperate for the war to end or had their back to the wall. When she’d been in Germany a couple years earlier, the entire nation had been coming out of that.

Last edited:
With a Material Witness warrant out on him from the US government, GHWB is going to find out that there are very few places in the world that will take him.
While Argentina and the United States do not have an Extradition Treaty, I doubt that they will turn a blind eye to anyone remotely connected to the Augusta Conspiracy living in their country.
There will be quite a bit of unwanted attention from other countries intelligence services looking into his activities and associates.
So I see a couple of possibilities, one GHWB is expelled from Argentina as an "Undesirable Alien", two a foreign intelligence service picks him up for "questioning", or he finds some very remote place on Earth to hide out in, no matter what it will not be good for him.

GHWB needs to keep away from Vladimir, who's too damn dumb to keep his mouth shut and his head down and therefore attracts attention, something that Bush definitely doesn't need. It's barely possible that Bush could keep his profile low enough to mostly avoid attention.

Hydrogen Bomb?
I believe the United States Navy still has the "Little Boy" uranium device around and may finally get a chance to demonstrate it.
This may get President Truman to restart Manhattan and maybe with research still going on in an unfocused manner there has been a promising breakthrough in an unexpected direction.

Last edited:
GHWB needs to keep away from Vladimir, who's too damn dumb to keep his mouth shut and his head down and therefore attracts attention, something that Bush definitely doesn't need. It's barely possible that Bush could keep his profile low enough to mostly avoid attention.

The opposite could also be true. Vlad's such a loudmouthed idiot, that no one is going to give him any serious attention.

The opposite could also be true. Vlad's such a loudmouthed idiot, that no one is going to give him any serious attention.
Yes, but even an blind squirrel will find a nut sometimes. Vlad will be watched, mayby by third grade flunkie, but he will be watched. As soon as the report comes in that mister "Supervillian" is seen, the "Big Guns" will start zeroing in.

Yes, but even an blind squirrel will find a nut sometimes. Vlad will be watched, mayby by third grade flunkie, but he will be watched. As soon as the report comes in that mister "Supervillian" is seen, the "Big Guns" will start zeroing in.

This. Junior flunky thinks, "That's just Vladimir the idiot. Oh, hello, who's the other guy? By Jove, I do believe that's the character the cousins are interested in - Tree, Bush, something. Best report it."

When Nancy returned to her desk from lunch she noticed that there was a peculiar buzzing in the background. Like a hum just below her hearing. Everyone was whispering among themselves. More than few of the other trainees had left the room to go to one of the supervisor’s office where there was said to be a radio.

“What’s going on?” Nancy asked a man as he walked past.

“You didn’t hear” He said, “Reports are coming in wherever there’s a seismograph, the Germans lit off another device just now somewhere in the Pacific.”

“Device?” Nancy asked.

“Atomic bomb” The man answered before walking away.

A couple hours later they had all been gathered in the same room where they had been given the introductory presentation weeks earlier. The difference was that this time it wasn’t some Deputy droning on in clichés. It was Dean Acheson, the Secretary of State himself and what looked like half the Washington Press Corps. The speech he gave was a prepared statement about the importance of the work they were doing. That humanity could no longer afford to go to war to solve problems and the fate of civilization itself would depend on diplomatic solutions.

Later, as she walked home Nancy thought about the sad, haunted looks that she saw on the faces of people she knew who had gone to war when they thought no one was watching. Her own father and her friends in Germany. She realized that it was something that no one should have to go through, it broke them on some level. Now this, atomic bombs, what sort of person could use one of those as a weapon? She realized that she knew who. Someone who was desperate for the war to end or had their back to the wall. When she’d been in Germany a couple years earlier, the entire nation had been coming out of that.

"Fräulein Scholl; Fräulein Sophie Scholl, please pick up any red emergency telephone."

At least they're not testing them in the open air.

Part 54, Chapter 748
Chapter Seven Hundred Forty-Eight

11th August 1949

Berlin

The elevator in the building began its decent to the lobby, Judita Schovajsa fought back the nausea that always accompanied that movement whenever she was in an elevator. The feeling was the same as when the stairwell she’d been sheltering in had collapsed underneath her years earlier. That had been the same event where she had lost her grandmother, both her parents and nine brothers and sisters in an instant. The sickening feeling of an elevator starting its descent reminded her of that event.

The battle that had been fought over the skies of Germany had not left substantial portions of Berlin leveled and burnt out like what had happened in Moscow and several other Russian cities. That was cold comfort to the thousands of civilians who had found themselves unable to escape Berlin, Dresden or Hamburg because they lacked the means like Judita’s parents. Oddly, Leni had lost her father in that same air raid, but Leni’s reaction was very different. Almost joyful.

Hours later they had dragged Judita’s body out of the wreckage of the building, it was regarded as a miracle that she was still alive when rescuers had found her. It had been a week before she’d woken up in the hospital that had been built within the Friedrichshain Flak Tower. It had not been until she’d been recruited to be one of the eyes of the Empress that she had remembered that she had first met Helene von Richthofen there. Helene didn’t remember her which was hardly surprising. Judita had been left unrecognizable by what had happened and was one of hundreds of injured who had been brought into the hospital just that week. She’d just been a poor badly concussed girl who had plaster casts on her right arm and leg. Elastic bandages had covered her upper body because of the broken ribs. The Doctors had also had her head shaved to stitch up the deep laceration on the back of her head. The rest of her body had been a mass of bruises and scratches. The worst part was that while she was recovering, no one had told her what had happened to her family. Instead they had waited until weeks later to tell her. She never forgot that moment, the feeling of profound betrayal because they had withheld that information from her while grieving the loss of her entire family. Judita had been distrustful of anyone in a position of authority for a long time after that. Now everyone was talking about the atomic bomb that had been set off in the Pacific, Judita knew that such things only hurt or killed people like her.

The elevator leached the lobby on the ground floor and Judita opened the gate and kicked the door open so that she could wrestle the two trash cans out. It was her turn to take out the garbage this week. The building housed mostly students from the University of Berlin, third year like her or higher. When they had moved in to Student housing Kat had arranged for them to live here as opposed to with the other first year students. They hadn’t understood why at the time but Judita now had an idea. Far more studying than partying happened here. Kicking open the door to the back alley, she started emptying the first trash can into the bin.

Tilde and Leni had been talking when Judita left the small apartment they shared. The subject had been Gia, again. Judita had left the apartment before she said something that she would come to regret. There was a whole genre of literature marketed to young women that had been popular at the State school for girls. Judita had hated those books because she’d been able to read between the lines. The rubbish plotlines were all the same. The tragic pretty girl and her plain friend. The pretty girl has a dire health problem or something, her “friend” is put upon to make her friend’s final wishes come true even as the pretty girl is demolishing every aspect of the plain girl’s life. At the end of the book, the pretty girl dies after getting her heart’s desire, and the plain girl gets left with the pieces of a broken life. The authors always left that last part out. There was simply no way that Judita was going to play the role of plain girl to Gia’s pretty girl. She just wished that the others understood what was happening.

When Gia had called from Estonia, Judita had been sitting right there listening in. She had confided to Tilde that if she had been the one to pick up the phone she would have been strongly tempted to hang up. Gia had expected them to drop everything and come to help her. Unable to do that, they had still dutifully wired her the money to buy clothes and an airplane ticket home. Gia had paid them back, but that wasn’t the point. What if Gia had called at a time when money was tight? Or had run off with Asia right in the middle of final exams? Especially considering that if Gia had just bothered to have asked to travel to her parent’s house she would have had the entire State facilitating the trip. Judita emptied the last trash can into the rubbish bin and dragged the trash cans back into the building.

Gia seemed totally unaware of how self-centered she could be. Now that Gia was back, she was complaining about how the Empress was making unreasonable requests of Kat. There was probably some truth to that, but Gia did almost the same thing to them and didn’t realize it. It was incredibly annoying.

Judita pressed the button to recall the elevator. At least going back up didn’t stir up uncomfortable memories for her.

Last edited:
I'm not sure i understand this latest part, have we even heard of Judita before?

It seems to me that Judita is just as selfish as she accuses Gia of being. Is this suppose to set up the perception of Gia's situation from the point of view of someone who wants to drag everyone down with them?

I'm not sure i understand this latest part, have we even heard of Judita before?

It seems to me that Judita is just as selfish as she accuses Gia of being. Is this suppose to set up the perception of Gia's situation from the point of view of someone who wants to drag everyone down with them?
I think so. She seems to put a lot of focus on the fact that helping her friend inconveniences her. With friends like these...

Part 54, Chapter 749
Chapter Seven Hundred Forty-Nine

24th August 1949

Berlin

It had started right when she had expected it to. Kat had been expecting things to fall apart the way it always seemed to every year during late Summer. Of her girls, Judita had always been the most emotionally fragile. She had probably lost more than the others and frantically clung to anything she had. Now her resentment of Gia had boiled over and it had turned them into separate warring camps. Gia, Tilde and Asia on one side, Judita and Kris on the other. Ilse and Leni just wanted everyone to get along again. The prior weekend Gia had invited Tilde and Judita to Potsdam and spent the entire time complaining about how she didn’t like what had happened to her life. Judita must have gotten fed up, she told Gia to cut it out, stop acting so stupid, selfish and take some responsibility for once. Judita then suggested what Gia could do with her complaints.

That had triggered a whole lot of bickering. Kat had warned them to keep their internal conflicts out of the public eye, but Kat had found herself called before the Empress over it. The girls were supposed to play a vital role for Kira and they could hardly do that if they were fighting with each other. Worst of all Kira had implied that she’d somehow learned what had happened to Kat over the last few months and asked if Kat was still able to provide the leadership necessary. The girls weren’t children but at the same time they were all trying to overcome difficult histories. The other problem was that Kat didn’t entirely disagree with where Judita was coming from. Closing the garage Kat saw that Petia was sitting on the steps, watching her. Petia had been forced to cut back on her smoking but she still sat on the back steps whenever she wanted a quiet moment.

Today, Kat had found herself practicing interviewing suspects. The man she’d been interviewing had been an experienced Inspector who knew every tactic of not only avoiding answering questions but getting the interviewer to reveal information about themselves. It was arguably the most grueling day that she had spent in the academy.

“How goes the battle, Katya” Petia said.

Kat sat down on the steps next to Petia, she really didn’t want to go into the house to find out what unforgivable comment was made this time or who’d gotten yelled at. Fortunately, they drew the line at words. Kat didn’t know what she would do if any of the girls ever escalated things to real violence. She didn’t say anything in reply to Petia.

“They are good girls, deep down” Petia said, “In spite of what might be going on at the moment.”

“I know” Kat said, “I just feel like I’ve failed them when they act like this.”

Petia just smiled at that. “They were forced to grow up too early, all of them” She said, “You gave them a place where they were safe enough to work these things out, that’s hardly a failure.”

Kat frowned when she heard that. Having them fighting with each other was hardly her aim.

“I just wish that they would get all of this… Kat thought about it for a few seconds, “Immaturity out of their systems.”

Petia looked at her with a nasty smile on her face, “We’re all still waiting for you to do that Katya” She said.

Washington D.C.

The U.S. Navy said that they could potentially bring themselves to nuclear parity with the German Empire in six months. If it was so simple why had no one done it before now? The answer was that Congress had expressly zeroed out funding for nuclear research. It would take an act of Congress to get that funding. Just thinking about that gave Truman a headache. He would have to shepherd that legislation through the House and the Senate without having it become a political football, getting watered down or filled with poison pills. The alternative was to attach it to another piece of legislation. If Truman did that he would be giving the green light to all manner of unrelated garbage going in along with it.

The situation was like dealing with a crooked insurance company. They expect you to pay into the plan but the instant you file a claim suddenly they are fighting tooth and nail, trying to void the contract on the slightest pretense. Congress didn’t want to fund a new weapons project because they weren’t at war. Plus, the restructuring and modernizing of the military was already costing the treasury a considerable amount. Truman realized that if there was a war with Germany it would already be too late. The response from the Speaker of the House, then don’t start a war Mr. President. If only the Germans were the sort of chest thumping ogres like the Russians, they would have had a petrified Congress demanding action. Instead they had tested their weapons in the safest practical manner.

“Colonel Eisenhower is here, Sir” A tinny voice said over the intercom.

That was a welcome distraction. General Bradley had suggested that Truman meet with the Army Colonel and what the man had to say was interesting. All weather highways were needed that ran across the country. The rub was that there was already an existing road and rail network. To build a national highway system would be stepping on the toes of a whole lot of vested interests, not to mention there would be winners and losers. Truman could well imagine small towns far from such a highway drying up if that happened. Eisenhower, who had been involved with the Motor Transport Corps convoy in 1919 where it had taken 56 days to get from New York to San Francisco. While it took nowhere near that long now, Eisenhower said that the potential was there to do better.

As he listened to Eisenhower speak, Truman thought of a way to kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited: