“I’m unlikely to get the promotion” Kat said, “I’m one of several Majors who are being considered, but I’m still too junior and I’m still attending University for at least another year. Those are things will be factored in as well.”
And the self depreciating trait of Kat hits again.

Frankly i wouldn't be surprised if the current Commander of the 1st it was outright told by the Kaiser to keep the seat a year longer in order to ensure that Kat gets the position.

Because for all the questionable links, and all the issues of Kat, the Kaiser knows one damn thing ;

If shit happens, he KNOWS that Katherine Von Mischner will NOT hesitate, not waver, no doubt and put the lives of his Family above ANYTHING else in the world, and if that means to murder anyone and everyone, or break every damn law and legal rule against those who she considers a threat to Kira and their children she will do it without hesitating in a instant.

And that assurance for the Kaiser its more priceless than any lineage, any rank or any questioning.

Is that PzH2000 gun also in use in the Heer or just in the navy?

They have their own toys and in this era only a battleship could have this sort of capability. Simultaneous impact has been an ideal that's been around for as long as there's been artillery. To be on the receiving of that from 42-centimeter guns...

FBKampfer

Banned
Would matter only as far as the guns could reach inland.

The truth is, and I'm sure our friend Jacob is well aware, that those battleships are already obsolete, even if one were to stick the best radar and computers right out of 2018 on them.

The only thing that might keep them going for another decade or two in Jacob's navy is their capacity to lug around AA and missile emplacements.

They're big enough that the down time during reloads won't be terribly significant if they stagger their firing, and radar-guided
AAA can still be useful.

“You are saying that Abwehr let you nearly get killed to control the Russian succession” Doug said, with considerable disbelief. “And they gave you a medal for it?”
I'll be honest. From the point of basically anybody not emotionally invested in the agent, the risk (so not even the death) for the agent, which was much reduced by the fact that the shooter was Germany's best (and the Mosin-Nagant is a pretty good rifle in it's own right) for the opportunity to play Czarmaker in Russia and nab Beria was very much worth it.

well, there's a reason why the kirov-class was built. those behemonths like rheinland can lug around a shit ton of missiles if you reduce the number of turrets. and once the smaller guided aa missiles come along...
yeah the era of battleship supremacy might be over, but there always will be a use for and sometimes need for big ships with a lot of firepower at their disposal for select military applications.

though i'm kind of seeing them go the iowa path.

Would matter only as far as the guns could reach inland.

The truth is, and I'm sure our friend Jacob is well aware, that those battleships are already obsolete, even if one were to stick the best radar and computers right out of 2018 on them.

The only thing that might keep them going for another decade or two in Jacob's navy is their capacity to lug around AA and missile emplacements.

They're big enough that the down time during reloads won't be terribly significant if they stagger their firing, and radar-guided
AAA can still be useful.
Or they develop gun based smart ammunition.

Md139115

Banned
I just realized... this timeline is only a year old. It has never won a Turtledove.

IT HAS NEVER WON A TURTLEDOVE.

The new one is coming up, if this doesn’t win...

It is very interesting that there is another thread about the Iowa class ships and here we are talking about basically the same thing.
This is Grand Admiral von Schmidt sop to the people who do not understand that the age of battleships is over.
While the Rhineland needs less sailors, it also means that the sailors have more work to do.
The civilian beancounters at the Defense Ministry and the Reichstag are going to notice that the.ship is going to spend a lot of time in dry dock for refurbishment and repairs, and when it is out to sea it is burning a lot of oil and needs more support ships to carry out missions.
The leaders of the KLM are going to notice that the Rhineland can not keep up with the rest of the fleet and with jet planes and solid fuel missiles coming online in the next few years, the fire power of the main guns is going to be offset by the stand off range of the jets and missiles.
It really just an impressive ASW and AA platform and I think in less than a decade it will become either a museum ship or it is sunk in the Marshall Islands as part of a nuclear weapon test.

It is very interesting that there is another thread about the Iowa class ships and here we are talking about basically the same thing.
This is Grand Admiral von Schmidt sop to the people who do not understand that the age of battleships is over.
While the Rhineland needs less sailors, it also means that the sailors have more work to do.
The civilian beancounters at the Defense Ministry and the Reichstag are going to notice that the.ship is going to spend a lot of time in dry dock for refurbishment and repairs, and when it is out to sea it is burning a lot of oil and needs more support ships to carry out missions.
The leaders of the KLM are going to notice that the Rhineland can not keep up with the rest of the fleet and with jet planes and solid fuel missiles coming online in the next few years, the fire power of the main guns is going to be offset by the stand off range of the jets and missiles.
It really just an impressive ASW and AA platform and I think in less than a decade it will become either a museum ship or it is sunk in the Marshall Islands as part of a nuclear weapon test.

As I posted in another thread, a battleship is a maintenance, fuel and crew pig, just like a steam engine on a train. And while it's an impressive gun-based AA platform it's entirely too big and noisy for ASW. Yeah, it's kewel but the beancounters are gonna have the last word. Shmidt is just using what he has until the KLM can afford better.

Before the site refurb my sig was "Shut up about Zepplins and battleships." Haven't figured out to do that yet.

You forgot option three. Razor blades, cookware and reinforcing rods.
Point. If you think it, from the World War II units, the ONLY one to likely be preserved from being cut and melted back it will be Admiral Von Schdmit's command during the Asian Front of the Second Great War, as its likely to be turned into a Floating Museum in Wilhelmshaven, as it will be considered as the symbolic jewel of the most resounding Naval Victory in Modern History and the most glorious page of the Kaiserliche Marine....

More than likely also it will be the site where the heraldic and flags of all other surviving units of the Battle of the South China Sea will rest once each of the other ships are retired, until a new unit its bapitzed as the respective successor of the name and tradition of the unit.

A battle line is excessive in a few years, but a few battleships are a good thing to keep. Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm...keep a few in the reserve fleet. Also, as long as the enemy has battleships, some are needed for a while yet; aircraft can't function in storms--and the North Sea has storms.
After OTL's world war II, there were no potential enemy battleships.

Because for all the questionable links, and all the issues of Kat, the Kaiser knows one damn thing ;

If shit happens, he KNOWS that Katherine Von Mischner will NOT hesitate, not waver, no doubt and put the lives of his Family above ANYTHING else in the world, and if that means to murder anyone and everyone, or break every damn law and legal rule against those who she considers a threat to Kira and their children she will do it without hesitating in a instant.

And that assurance for the Kaiser its more priceless than any lineage, any rank or any questioning.
Plus, she's incorruptable and dedicated. Added bonuses.

A battle line is excessive in a few years, but a few battleships are a good thing to keep. Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm...keep a few in the reserve fleet. Also, as long as the enemy has battleships, some are needed for a while yet; aircraft can't function in storms--and the North Sea has storms.
After OTL's world war II, there were no potential enemy battleships.

After OTL's WW II the USA was the only country who could afford them.

After OTL's WW II the USA was the only country who could afford them.
Vanguard lasted until 1960, and Jean Bart until 1969. Yavuz lasted until 1972. Expensive, but suspect that, if the USSR really had a few, then one or two of those would stick around a bit longer.