Re Belfast's Friday night post
"According to James D. Watson's memoir, DNA, the Secret of Life, Schrödinger's book gave Watson the inspiration to research the gene, which led to the discovery of the DNA double helix structure in 1953. Similarly, Francis Crick, in his autobiographical book What Mad Pursuit, described how he was influenced by Schrödinger's speculations about how genetic information might be stored in molecules." _ I can't quote a quote, sorry!
In a no Hitler TL, Schrödinger probably won't take a post in Dublin -unless he fancies a couple of years living in a foreign capital. But he should still write the book and will attend a whole raft of international conferences nd symposia that WW2 disrupted OTL. So he will probably still inspire Crick and Watson and this TL they may get to meet him personally as a visiting lecturer

The book was based on talks he gave to the public as part of his job working for the institute for advanced studies Dublin was to promote a wide interest and understanding of the sciences in Ireland.
Looks like Schrödinger will need to give the talks some where else.
a bigger problem is De Valera who hired him and setup the institute for advanced studies is dead ITL.
One of the stories I heard why he came to Dublin was he was a lady's man and his habit of living with 2 mistress made it hard for him to find a permanent position.

It would definitely have appealed to the likes of Schrodinger, who scandalously brought both a wife and mistress with him to Dublin, after Dev pulled out all the stops to get him here, and who still had plenty of loving left over for the local women.

It wasn’t their happiness Schrodinger was interested in – on the contrary, he acknowledged the widespread “distress” his philandering caused. But for all his conservatism, de Valera was happy to look the other way.

When another potential DIAS recruit, Paul Dirac, came to a conference in Dublin, the taoiseach went so far as to treat him and his wife to a “joyride around the local countryside” (that’s the phrase used by Dirac’s biographer, who presumably didn’t mean they were driving recklessly in a stolen car).

The maidens, comely or otherwise, may not have been a carrot in that case. Actual carrots might have worked, though. Tempting the couple to join him, Schrodinger boasted of wartime Ireland’s other attractions in a letter to Dirac’s wife: “There is plenty of food here – ham, butter, eggs, cakes, as much as one wants.”

DIAS was an extraordinary idea, really – comprising only two schools, one devoted to “Celtic Studies”, the other “Cosmic Physics”. As Neasa McGarrigle wrote on our science page yesterday, this reflected de Valera’s twin obsessions, “Irish and maths”. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, the institute spoke in a gutteral language while looking at the stars.

And it lends curious light to a detail I learned only recently – that among Schrodinger’s love affairs there was one with the wife of a leading Irish language scholar. They even had a child together, who, when the lovers split, was raised by the woman’s estranged husband.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...blin-institute-for-advanced-studies-1.2393548

Last edited:
Yes granted, if escape from rationing and being prepared to tolerate a rackety lifestyle were among his motivations he might well end up in Dublin TTL as well or a French, Austrian, Swiss or Belgian university. But my point is that he wasn't a military or military funded researcher. He'l probably still think the thoughts and give the talks and then write them up in a book whether he is in Berlin, Belgrade or Buenos Aires.

FBKampfer

Banned
Regarding US Naval and air navigation around the Marianas, I was thinking they might perhaps simply be effectively kamikazeing into the German perimeter, simply trying to get Geiger counters into the radiation zone the detonation would create.

Regarding US Naval and air navigation around the Marianas, I was thinking they might perhaps simply be effectively kamikazeing into the German perimeter, simply trying to get Geiger counters into the radiation zone the detonation would create.
Wouldn't that constitute an unprovoked attack against what is presumed to be a nuclear power? Also, very likely to greatly reduce the life expectancy of the said pilots? (and I don't mean because of the radiation)

Part 43, Chapter 551
Chapter Five Hundred Fifty-One

19th July 1946

Guam

Just when everyone had forgotten the incident with the Germans an issue of the comic book True War Stories had reached the island. This one had featured the Battle of Saipan that had raged just north of them only a year and a half earlier. The epilogue had featured the Guam beer heist. It had been strange for Jason to see himself depicted in a comic book, especially when he had realized that the two German Marines who had done that were from the same recon unit that had fought in Vietnam and Taiwan before he’d encountered them. Naturally, none of them were recognizable and Jimmy had learned the hard way that girls were not impressed by him turning up in comic books. Particularly when they had discovered that Sergeant Dietrich “Tilo” Schultz had referred to them as stupid boys to Corporal W. Reier.

“Those Krauts were only here for five minutes and they had your number” Dad, who thought that was hilarious, had said.

Still Jason and Jimmy had it easy compared to Ensign Bush, he was once again the laughing stock of the island.

Not that it mattered anyway. Jason and Jimmy both knew that their fathers were going to be transferred back to the Mainland at any time. The only reason why that had not happened yet was because Guam had gone from being an isolated backwater to being one of the most important outposts of the US Navy. Suddenly there were a whole lot of new faces around as the island’s garrison was expanded. It was also rumored that the listening post had expanded radically, something that was impossible to gauge because it had been moved after the beer heist.

Berlin

“You’re now your own responsibility” Kat said, waking Gianna up on her eighteenth birthday, “Are you going to rush out and hold a press conference?”

Kat ducked behind the door as Gianna threw a pillow at her. Personally, Gianna saw no reason to change things and was in no rush to expose herself for all the world to see. The joke was on Kat because Gianna was now somewhat in control of her own finances and she knew exactly what the first thing that she was going to buy was. The day before Douglas had passed her an envelope containing a photograph of a Jeweler working on something extremely special.

While Gianna received nothing from Russia and was considered a Grand Duchess in her own right, she had been paid a stipend as an orphan by the German State and as the cousin of the current Grand Duke of Hesse. The result was that she had been given more money over the years than she had needed to cover her expenses. Marcella had seen to it that it was carefully invested so she would have enough to start her life even without the fortune in jewelry that had passed to her. The larger pieces had been repatriated to Russia following the Soviet War along with the items that had turned up in Ireland of all places. The remaining loose diamonds and other precious stones, except for a few that Gianna had impulsively kept, had been slowly auctioned off in Antwerp. It all totaled more money than it was probably safe for Gianna to know about.

“You awake yet?” Gianna heard Asia ask.

“She must be if she threw that pillow at Kat” Tilde said. If Tilde was here, then everyone else was already here as well.

“Anyone know where a bucket is?” Ilse asked, “We can fill it in the bathroom.”

“All of you go down and help with breakfast” Marcella snapped, and Gianna heard the sound of their footsteps down the stairs. No one with an ounce of sanity argued with her when she used that tone of voice. She was who Kat had learned that from.

Gianna opened her eyes. She knew from long experience that pretending to be asleep with Aunt Marcella was a waste of time.

“I figured you would be awake” Marcella said, “Considering the circus that was going on up here.”

Gianna sat up in her bed and looked at Marcella who had sat down on Asia’s bed. “It’s just another day” She said.

“No, it isn’t” Marcella replied, “You don’t reach the age of majority every day and considering who you are, this is a profound miracle.”

“Can’t I just stay in bed?” Gianna asked.

“You can” Marcella replied, “But there’s a house full of people downstairs who are looking forward to having breakfast with you. Hans and Helene even came up from Zosen.”

“A surprise breakfast party?”

“It was the only time that everyone was available” Marcella said, “Now let’s try to make you somewhat presentable.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

It was exactly like how Marcella had said it would be. All the people that knew and loved Gianna were there. It was odd to see the dining room being used for its intended purpose and to have so many people in there talking at once but soon enough everyone went to get on with their day. Gianna found herself helping with the clean-up. Eventually, Petia had sent her out of the kitchen. Nancy, Ilse and Asia were all the help she needed for drying the dishes and putting them away. Besides that, it was her day.

Gianna found Kat in the parlor looking grave. “These arrived for you, but I figured that opening them in front of the others would be a bad idea.”

There were three parcels, from London, Moscow and Potsdam respectively. All were addressed to Jehane Alexandra Lukichna Thomas-Romanova from three Emperors. No wonder Kat looked so serious, in Gianna’s experience this sort of thing was nothing but trouble.

Last edited:
As this timeline has been going nearly a year, let me say thank you for all of the wonderful reading that you've given me for that time. I hope you eBook it when you're done, I'll gladly purchase it

Sometimes the answer is simple, it is just some birthday greetings from Jehane's relatives ...just kidding, this is Peabody-Martini we are talking about it has to be either a red herring or a major story development.​

Sometimes the answer is simple, it is just some birthday greetings from Jehane's relatives ...just kidding, this is Peabody-Martini we are talking about it has to be either a red herring or a major story development.​

True, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Part 43, Chapter 552
Chapter Five Hundred Fifty-Two

19th July 1946

Berlin

Kat said that it was a lesson that Gianna had to learn. Royalty gave with one hand and took with the other. The gifts from the individuals who claimed kinship with her were all generous, except a moment of thought revealed their double-edged nature.

The worst was from the Russian Czar, he’d sent his cousin and current heir the Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Catherine. Anyone who saw that would instantly know the nature of her relationship to Georgy. Included was a letter suggesting that it was time for her to stop with this charade as he had put it. There were rumors that he and his wife Lidiya finally had a child on the way, it couldn’t get here soon enough to suit Gianna. That would finally start the process of getting Gianna out from under the weight of family history that had been baring down on her since the world had found out that she was still alive a year earlier.

King George of England was slightly better, it involved inducting her into the Family Order. Jehane would “only” have to make a public appearance to receive it. The final gift was from Louis Ferdinand, he must have been tempered somewhat by the presence of Kira but apparently Jehane Thomas was now a Dame in the Order of Louise which was a reflection of her social standing.

There were other things as well. Jewelry, perfume, a silk scarf, things a young woman might like. Only the fountain pen made from turned figured walnut that must have come directly from Kira reflected Gianna’s professional aspirations. Gianna was starting to understand Kat’s reaction to certain things. None of this had been earned, it had all been given to her because of who her Grandfather had been. Gianna also had the memory of getting hit by a rifle bullet and the resulting scars because of that.

“I figured that I would give you something that you actually want, Gia” Kat said.

“I can’t stand any more of this” Gianna replied, “None of these people even pretend to understand me.”

“I’m not one of them and if you aren’t interested then perhaps Asia and Ilse will have use for that new typewriter that’s going to be delivered later” Kat said.

They already had a typewriter, but it had been a rebuild that Uncle Klaus had done years earlier. He had done a good enough job in the salvage effort and it was the same typewriter that all of them had used. But it was the only one they had and not all the keys were of the same typeface. There had been arguments over who got to use it and when.

Kiel

It had taken a great deal of effort, but Jacob had managed to convince Frau Lamarr’s manager that he wasn’t a random crank. He had stopped watching movies ages ago after Esther had complained about how he managed to pick out every inconsistency in the plot on the ride home once too often. He had been serious when he had said that he was interested in helping her perfect her inventions. Apparently, she was interested in seeing just how serious the offer was. Unfortunately, the actual nature of the meeting was lost upon Jacob’s Staff whose reaction would make someone think that it was the Emperor himself who was coming. Esther had not been able to stop laughing as Jacob explained it as it was happening. The term testosterone poisoning was how she had described it.

The meeting got off to a rocky start when Jacob’s eidetic memory and lack of social ability came to the fore and he’d referred her by her original name. Apparently, the name Hedwig Kiesler was a detail that she preferred to remain forgotten.

“I hope this doesn’t get in the way of any future partnership” Jacob said trying without much success to correct his error.

“And I hope that that is the only thing I’m going to hear about from my past Admiral von Schmidt” Hedy said flatly.

“Much of what I do is of a sensitive nature” Jacob said, “I check out the backgrounds of all the people I choose to work with.”

“And I suppose that involved watching every movie I’ve been in as well.”

“The movies were irrelevant” Jacob said, “It was the patent you hold that interested me, I only looked into your background regarding that.”

That clearly surprised her. “You know your offer is not the only reason I returned to Europe?”

“My understanding was that you’ve been bored, finding the roles in Hollywood unchallenging” Jacob replied, “Your hope is that Babelsberg will offer better opportunities and the chance to perfect your technology is something that interests you as well.”

“Just what do you have here in Kiel?” Hedy asked.

“We can build anything with a bit of time” Jacob said, “At the moment we’re involved in computer research in conjunction with the Technical University in Berlin, but are expanding into other areas.”

“Anything?” Hedy asked, “How many people are currently involved?”

“Anything you need, and the number varies” Jacob said, “There were originally four of us but after the first patents we got flooded with applicants.”

“So, what would I be getting from this deal?”

“You’d gain access to our lab and if your technology is as promising as you claim then you would get full credit for the work” Jacob replied.

“That’s very generous, different from the offers I’ve received in the past” Hedy said.

“Why wouldn’t you give someone credit for the work they’ve done?” Jacob asked.

“Is that a joke?” Hedy asked in response, her voice incredulous.

Last edited:
Let us review our speculations:

Czar dead: No
Czar shooting blanks: No
Birthday greetings: Yes
Simple greetings: Not in this timeline

good updates.

Some details below on what happen to the fortune of the tsar.
I think the art and land should be the most traceable.

THE LOST FORTUNE OF THE TSARS By William Clarke. Illustrated. 312 pp. New York: St. Martin's Press. $24.95.

BILLIONS, billions, who's got the billions? The gold, jewels, land, cash, art and palaces of the Russian imperial family had an estimated value of over $45 billion when the House of Romanov fell in 1917. A great deal of that wealth can be easily accounted for -- the Bolsheviks grabbed it. But enough to make dozens of people gloriously rich eluded their grasp and has been sought and claimed ever since. The mystery of the missing wealth has also given rise to subsidiary mysteries: How did a czarist tiara end up on the head of Queen Elizabeth? Did the British royal family fleece their Russian cousins when buying up their jewelry? Did any of the pretenders -- the Anastasias, the Alexises -- have even a toe to stand on? And if there is any Romanov wealth extant today, who has the right to it now that the principal thieves, the Soviets, have themselves landed on the dustbin of history, to use an expression of which the Marxists were exceedingly fond?

His book is divided into three sections -- "Loss," "Search" and "Fortune." The first details the wealth of the Russian empire on the eve of the revolution. It is worthwhile to be reminded of how well Russia was doing economically as it was about to come apart politically. In the opening years of the 20th century, the country's growth rate had reached an annual average of 3.25 percent, and by 1914 the Russian economy "was the world's fourth largest, almost equal in total output to that of the United Kingdom." Part of the problem, of course, was that too much of the wealth was in too few hands. It is impossible to separate Czar Nicholas II's wealth from the state's -- as Mr. Clarke notes, Nicholas had as much right as Louis XIV to say, L'etat c'est moi -- but some estimates placed 70 percent of Russia's land under his control, meaning the Czar owned one-tenth of the earth's surface.

Even after it became clear that the Czar would abdicate, the situation in Russia remained fluid and unclear. Among the (figurative) gems Mr. Clarke has unearthed is this report to the home office from a field representative of National City Bank, New York's leading overseas bank, sent in early 1917: "We are working hard and I think the position of our Petrograd branch at the end of this year will be a most pleasant surprise, even to you."

IT is in the second part of his story, "Search," that Mr. Clarke's narrative picks up steam. Now the plunder and confusion begin. Lenin and company, who had been in power for eight months, passed a decree nationalizing the Czar's properties three days before the executions; either they considered that a decent interval or it was simply how long it took for instructions to move through the pipeline. It wasn't long, however, before severe financial difficulties drove the Bolsheviks to peddle whatever they could abroad: Rembrandts, Faberge eggs (ultimately Malcolm Forbes ended up with more of them than Moscow), crown jewels and the more than 550 tons of silver confiscated from the church. The Bolsheviks also claimed whatever wealth the royal family had abroad, while at the same time refusing any responsibility for Czarist debt -- a tack Western governments and banks did not find exactly endearing.

But there were rival claimants, bizarre characters who were demented, cunning or both. Anna Anderson, who, the author concludes, was a Polish factory worker, convinced many people that she was indeed the "real Anastasia." Among the more enigmatic people posing as the Czarevitch Alexis was one Michel Goleniewski, a lieutenant colonel in Polish intelligence, who defected to the United States after providing Washington with services the Central Intelligence Agency termed "truly significant." Mr. Clarke ably reduces these claims to nothing, while at the same time noting that the recent DNA tests performed on the remains of the royal family still leave Alexis and one of his sisters unaccounted for.

But as Mr. Clarke recounts in "Fortune," the third and most fascinating section of his book, the real missing wealth was not in art, jewels or cash in foreign banks but in a billion dollars' worth of gold, some of which was en route to the Remington Arms Company to buy weapons for the White Army battling the Reds during the civil war that began in 1918. Bullion and billions have a way of disappearing in Russia. In 1914 Russia held the world's largest gold stock, but it had essentially run out of gold by late 1921. Something similar occurred at the end of the Soviet era "when the total gold and currency reserves dropped from $11 billion to zero in less than 18 months," Mr. Clarke writes. "Only $7 billion of this recent drain could be accounted for by normal trade transactions. The whereabouts of the remaining $4 billion remains a mystery."
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/06/books/they-couldn-t-take-it-with-them.html

Estimates of Nicholas II's personal wealth have been vastly exaggerated. As Emperor of All The Russias, and an autocrat, the resources under his command were virtually incalculable. However, the vast majority of this was owned by the state as Crown property; the Romanov family's personal wealth was only a small fraction of this. As monarch, the income of Nicholas was 24 million gold roubles per annum: this derived from a yearly allowance from the Treasury, and from the profits of Crown farmland.[136] From this income, he had to fund staff, the upkeep of imperial palaces and imperial theatres, annuities for the royal family, pensions, bequests, and other outgoings. "Before the end of the year, the Tsar was usually penniless; sometimes he reached this embarrassing state by autumn."[136] According to the Grand Marshal of the Court, Count Paul Benckendorff, the family's total financial resources amounted to between 12.5 and 17.5 million roubles.[137] As a comparison, Prince Felix Yussupov estimated his family's worth in real estate holdings alone as amounting to 50 million gold roubles.[138]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_II_of_Russia#Wealth

“My understanding was that you’ve been bored, finding the roles in Hollywood unchallenging” Jacob replied, “Your hope is that Babelsberg will offer better opportunities
This will actually be a significant butterfly in TTL's 1940s and 50s. Some of the biggest fish -Peter Lorre,Billy Wilder, Marlene Dietrich, Conrad Veidt will have a transatlantic presence and Hollywood will have to treat them with more respect as they aren't the only game in town. Babelsberg still exists in this TTL and Ealing will have deeper pockets than OTL. And Emil Jannings will still be alive and working. And there will be Italian cinema (as OTL) and Russian and Ukrainean. By the fifties Odessa and wherever the Russian industry was centred will be players too.
Which is pretty much how it is going to work in U.S. defence and foreign policy as well. America will still be big but not the only game in town.

All those OTL Hollywood stars had no reason ITTL to go to the USA for more than an occasional project, if one at all.

Last edited:
This will actually be a significant butterfly in TTL's 1940s and 50s. Some of the biggest fish -Peter Lorre,Billy Wilder, Marlene Dietrich, Conrad Veidt will have a transatlantic presence and Hollywood will have to treat them with more respect as they aren't the only game in town. Babelsberg still exists in this TTL and Ealing will have deeper pockets than OTL. And Emil Jannings will still be alive and working. And there will be Italian cinema (as OTL) and Russian and Ukrainean. By the fifties Odessa and wherever the Russian industry was centred will be players too.
Which is pretty much how it is going to work in U.S. defence and foreign policy as well. America will still be big but not the only game in town.

Mentioning Marlene Dietrich got me thinking. Weimar Germany, at least in parts, more open to homosexuality than almost anywhere in the world. Is it that open in this timeline?

If it's fairly open (and the Three Furies mentioning debating about free love to harass Kurt makes me think it might be close) then there is something fundamentalists in the USA might use to rile their true believers up against Germany's "ungodly ways." That's not enough to start a rift, but fire and brimstone preachers might think that stirring people up againt Germany's "sin" is a good way to get people riled up, especially since Germany also has a view of race relations that many in America will find to be abhorrent, especially since there were no colored or Nisei troops needed, with the USA staying out of the war.

I wouldn't be surprised of some of the fire and brimstone preachers rail about Germany sending condolances to the rich in New York, but saying nothing about the people murdered by "n*****" terrorists.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some articles, even if only in extreme papers pr playing devil's advocate, in German publications that mention that the bombers have a point about the oppression. Those will be portrayed as "Stirring up the "*******" against decent white folk. A field day for the Klan.

In short, Germany is a perfect target for that group to point to as a symbol of all that's evil. Might even lead to murders of German citizens visiting the USA, or even embassy staff.

This leads to travel guides in Germany, pointing out where is safe in the USA for travelers, and where is not. People in both nations will paint the others with a broad brush, of course, and attitudes get worse...

I think right now in the United States there is a lot of finger pointing and blame placing about the lost "prestige" that America is going through right now.

Charles A. Lindbergh is blaming "Pro-Communists, Pro-Japanese" isolationists for preventing the United States from doing their duty to the cause of "Civilization" and allowing the Germans to get some strategic islands in the Pacific that threatens the United States Sea Lines of Communication (SLOC) which is ironic because he is very Pro-German.

Military and scientific leaders are blaming grandstanding politicians for hamstring science and technology research and development.

Harry S. Truman is privately blaming President Garner for only seeing the world thru the view of East Texas.