A father needs no reason to dislike his daughter's suitors. I for one, plan to try to drive them all away.
The shovel speech is always a classic:
"See this? With it I can kill you, dismember you, and bury your body".
A few hits with said shovel for punctuation are needed, so as to establish credence.

A father needs no reason to dislike his daughter's suitors. I for one, plan to try to drive them all away.
I have 4 daughters, the oldest is 23.
Based on my experience I predict your daughters will ensure you fail.
As a fan of unusual bloodsports I wouldn't mind watching you try, in the same way that watching slaves get torn apart by lions was entertainment for the romans.
At least that was fairly quick.

I have 4 daughters, the oldest is 23.
Based on my experience I predict your daughters will ensure you fail.
As a fan of unusual bloodsports I wouldn't mind watching you try, in the same way that watching slaves get torn apart by lions was entertainment for the romans.
At least that was fairly quick.

No doubt, but she's only 19 months. I have time. I figure pretending to befriend him will do far more than anything I could do to discourage

My father when my sisters would go on a first date a boy, would take out all of his rifles, shotguns, and pistols and start cleaning them in front of the boyfriend.

He would just ask the usual questions like "What time will you bring her back?", "Where are you going on this date?", and other such mundane questions.
Then he would offer the boy a twenty dollar bill "for gas" and tell them to keep the change, and this was when gasoline was still under a dollar a gallon.
What the boy didn't know was that it was a test in which he could not pass, if he took the money and brought back change, that ment the boy did not have enough money for gas and thus was not good enough for my sister, if he took the money and kept all of it, well he was just a thief, and the worst thing the boy could do was to refuse the money because if he did, my father said that the boy was being "slick" and that was the worst thing to be according to my father.

My father when my sisters would go on a first date a boy, would take out all of his rifles, shotguns, and pistols and start cleaning them in front of the boyfriend.

He would just ask the usual questions like "What time will you bring her back?", "Where are you going on this date?", and other such mundane questions.
Then he would offer the boy a twenty dollar bill "for gas" and tell them to keep the change, and this was when gasoline was still under a dollar a gallon.
What the boy didn't know was that it was a test in which he could not pass, if he took the money and brought back change, that ment the boy did not have enough money for gas and thus was not good enough for my sister, if he took the money and kept all of it, well he was just a thief, and the worst thing the boy could do was to refuse the money because if he did, my father said that the boy was being "slick" and that was the worst thing to be according to my father.

I really like this idea. My idea had been to tap into my farming background: When a boy is coming over, I have a kid, or a lamb on hand that is destined for the freezer that gets castrated that night.

WOW! Just got a few minutes online at the library (recovering from the wrath of irma) and loved this. If there's ever a Hurricane Kat, RUN!!!)

And why do people keep messing with her. Dont you know she has claws? Also expect many rats to start running around when Marias paper runs the story.

And why do people keep messing with her. Dont you know she has claws?
Because we can't always go around gutting people we don't like.
And if I really didn't like somebody for whatever reason, unless I'm absolutely sure of my superiority, I would try to look for and attack their weak points, not their strengths.

Part 34, Chapter 415
Chapter Four Hundred Fifteen

10th September 1944

Berlin

Kat was staring at the ceiling of Gianna’s bedroom. It was midmorning and she had been laying on the cot she had slept on the night before and she kept coming up with excuses not to get up. By now the first print of the early edition of the BT would have been on the streets for hours. The second print would be in the process of going being printed at this very moment. Far too late to take anything back and she was dreading the thought of facing friends and acquaintances who would now know one of her deepest held and darkest secrets. The only thing worse than that was her role in nabbing Beria.

“Here’s another message from a Douglas Blackwood” Gianna said, she was going through the messages that Kat had been neglecting for the last few weeks. “Is he handsome?”

Kat felt like her cheeks were burning up, “Yes” Kat said, “In a rugged sort of way, but he’s thoughtful.” And entirely too patient for his own good. That relationship should have sunk on the shoals of Kat’s own hang ups and neglect months ago. “He says here that he made it to Vladivostok with the Pioneer Corps and he’ll be back in Berlin on…” Gianna trailed off as she read the dates, “That would be this week.”

Kat just moaned as she put the pillow over her face. Doug was arriving here just in time to get quite the education about just how disappointing a person really Kat was. Why she had never been able to get past her defensiveness towards him.

“This one is from an Oberst Koch” Gianna said, “He says that he knows that you are on leave and are due to be discharged but there are some things that need to be settled up and would like it if you could make it to Judenbach before the 28th Regiment deploys to China in October.”

That was possibly the worst thing Kat could do. How could she face the SKA now?

“There are a couple here from Empress Kira from just yesterday” Gianna said, “It seems like she really needs to talk to you.”

That was someone else who Kat couldn’t face. Perhaps it was possible for her to never leave this house or better yet go somewhere no one knew her. She had been writing Nancy Jensen for years, Washington State didn’t sound that bad. Or perhaps Argentina, Schafer had said that Patagonia was amazing…

“Katherine Katja Mischner!” Aunt Marcella yelled up the stairs, “Get down here this instant!”

They both knew that when Marcella yelled full names it meant that whoever she was yelling at was in extremely deep trouble. As Kat put on her bathrobe she saw Gianna’s thoughts play across her face, better you than me.

Kat walked down the stairs and saw two men from the First Imperial Foot and a very cross looking Aunt Marcella in the hallway. “These men are saying that you haven’t been returning calls for weeks” Marcella snapped, “I know you’ve been having a hard time but that is no excuse for shirking your responsibilities.”

“We can give you time to get dressed, Ma’am” One of the men from the First Foot said, “But the Empress has requested your presence immediately.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Potsdam

It was said that the long-delayed renovation of Hohenzollern Palace on Fischer Island was finally underway but the Imperial family was still months away from returning to there. That meant that Kat had to endure the long drive across Berlin. Everywhere there was poster and crowds, Kat had been so wrapped up in her own troubles that she hadn’t known that there was a General Election that was going to occur in just a few days. Kat had the impression that the Emperor and Empress liked living in the parklike setting of the Summer residence year-round. As soon as Kat saw the Empress she saw that Kira was heavily pregnant again. Proof as to just how long Kat had been absent.

“I thought that you and Louis were taking a break after the last one” Kat said.

“These things happen” Kira said as she got to her feet, “As you well know.”

Kat stood there, eyes downcast, “You saw the article” She said softly.

“Of course, I did” Kira said, “While I admire your courage to do something that you shouldn’t have been forced to do, coming forward like that. It was not a surprise.”

Kat looked at the Empress in disbelief.

“I grew up in the Russian exile community” Kira said as she walked down the corridor, Kat noticed that two attendants and the Royal Physician were following closely. They were not going to allow another fiasco like the birth of Prince Louis to happen again.

“Do you think that you are the first woman I’ve known who shies away from contact or reaches for a weapon if someone steps too close?” Kira continued, “The Bolsheviks left quite a lot of that in their wake and Katherine, you aren’t as good at hiding things as you like to think.”

So, that meant that the Empress must have had a good idea of what had happened all along and she didn’t seem to care.

“If you could tell me what you needed” Kat said, changing the subject.

“Our allies, the British, have been causing trouble again” Kira said, “King George has grown tired of getting pestered by couple of relatives of mine. Xenia and Olga, Tsar Nicholas’ younger sisters. He told them that Jehane is still alive and I’m the one hiding her.”

Kat felt the bottom fall out of her heart. Gianna was happy. It wasn’t fair for people she had never met to upend her life or worse. What if all they wanted was a figurehead to advance their own ambitions?

“They would like to meet her” Kira said, “I know that you wanted it to be Jehane’s choice as to whether or not to reclaim her identity when she was old enough. I think that moment is on us sooner than we would like. Please talk with her about that.”

Last edited:
You know for an empress Kira is actually pretty down to earth. This sort of acceptance is very cool, and probably will help politically in the long run, but for the moment its probably more important for Kats mental health then anything else.

Two things:
Would the idea not be that the uboats would schnorkel to their target?

Very loud and rather obvious in many respects so you don't do it anywhere near where you're trying to sneak up on. Worse with all that tow-mass which has it's very own issues.

The A-bomb: ITTL a few years back the Soviets were pushing towards Berlin and reached german soil. No question the incentive was there, and once started for real, well look at OTL.

The Soviets were never that much of a danger and especially they weren't one long enough to allow such a decision to carry through. And indeed, look at OTL and that was a crash project with a much more substantial industrial base and economy and a LOT more room to hide the activity in. If the Germans had started a program people will know about it.

And I'll note again it very much does nothing for Germany as a whole there are far more effective methods to defeat Japan and they have already figures out most of them. Though I'll grant that in the long term defeating Japan actually gives a logical reason to develop the A4 since Germany hasn't got the long range heavy bomber like the B-29. Once they kick the Japanese out of China and Korea they can rain A4s down on them from bases there with no way for Japan to respond. Along with a naval blockade Japan is going to be hurting quite quickly though I can see an American argument for allowing 'humanitarian' supplies in I'm not really sure they'd take that route.

Randy

I find it remarkable that Kat thinks of Jehane as being Gianna automatically and when it comes time that the existence of Jehane is known, Kat is going to feel a sense of abandonment and loss.

Olga and Xenia might get a visit from Kat beforehand to lay down some rules in dealing with the knowledge of Jehane.

I wonder what the reaction of Vladimir the Idiot is going to be to Jehane being alive and a more attractive candidate for the Russian throne.

I wonder what the reaction of Vladimir the Idiot is going to be to Jehane being alive and a more attractive candidate for the Russian throne.
I think he's busy trying to keep his sister from peeling the skin off his skull. Simply because I think he was involved in that little breakin....