I wonder if a certain Barnes Wallace has been talking to the German allies in this war? Anybody for 'Upkeep' of maybe 'Tallboy' and as for 'Grandslam" that would leave the Soviets with a real headache!!!

Does Germany (or anyone) have a bomber that can carry things that large and heavy? Tallboy=12,000 lb (5,400 kg) and 21 ft (6.4 m); Grand Slam=22,000 lb (10,000 kg) and 26 ft 6 in (8.08 m) plus a 13 ft 6 in (4.11 m) tail.

Lenz is going to be sent to Vietnam as part the new air branch of the Seebataillon (I think).

I wonder how much Soviet equipment was taken intact? Because the Seebataillon Infantry might find themselves with T-34 tanks, some artillery guns, sub-machine guns and other goodies.
I can see the recruiters for the Seebataillon hanging out at the SKA training center and offering washouts to join the Seebataillon for a new unit that does long range reconnaissance patrols by telling them that the Japanese soldiers are tougher then the Soviet soldiers.

Lenz is going to be sent to Vietnam as part the new air branch of the Seebataillon (I think).

I wonder how much Soviet equipment was taken intact? Because the Seebataillon Infantry might find themselves with T-34 tanks, some artillery guns, sub-machine guns and other goodies.
I can see the recruiters for the Seebataillon hanging out at the SKA training center and offering washouts to join the Seebataillon for a new unit that does long range reconnaissance patrols by telling them that the Japanese soldiers are tougher then the Soviet soldiers.

It's one thing to hand out captured equipment to partisans, it's another to use it with your regulars. Unless you re-barrel with standard calibers, you have a logistical nightmare.

Just checked Wikipedia, (don't know how to link) OTL Germans used the T-34 it was designated the T-34 747 and it was modified to include a commander's cupola and radio.

Just checked Wikipedia, (don't know how to link) OTL Germans used the T-34 it was designated the T-34 747 and it was modified to include a commander's cupola and radio.

You are absolutely right, the Germans use equipment from the Soviets OTL. And the French. And British...basically, the Germans pressed just about all vehicles into service, and they had quite a problem with parts at the least.

Wasn't Soviet arms designed to fire captured enemy ammunition?

Depends. When I was in the US army infantry, they warned us that the soviet weapons were designed to be able to used captured NATO ammunition, but that captured Soviet ammunition would jam our weapons. This was because their weapons were made for slightly larger ammunition, but could accommodate our weapons' slightly smaller rounds, whereas their slightly larger rounds would get stuck in our weapons, preventing their use, and reducing our firepower for having to clear these rounds from our weapons. Not sure if this is known outside the military or not.

This was back in 1987-1989, so yes for that time frame, but cannot say about back in the 1940's, nor in the decades since my military service.

Love this ATL, and have much to catch back up upon.

A T-34 wouldn't be worth hauling halfway around the world. However the Germans were never shy about putting cutting torches to work. There is always a pressing need for self propelled artillery, ammo schleppers and every manner of utility vehicle.

A T-34 wouldn't be worth hauling halfway around the world. However the Germans were never shy about putting cutting torches to work. There is always a pressing need for self propelled artillery, ammo schleppers and every manner of utility vehicle.

At worst, it's all a good grade of steel to be remade into compatible products.

As far as I remember from the Murican report on the T-34 they were given as a demonstration of Soviet industrial prowess, the steel quality was very uneven, some plates good, some basically just mild steel, even in one tank intended for showing off to foreigners. All of the parts ranged from moderately good through barely servicable to 'could only have been designed by a saboteur'. I guess that's what you get from using mostly unskilled or slave labor.

Part 26, Chapter 286
Chapter Two Hundred Eighty-Six

6th February 1943

Freemantle, Australia

Jacob smiled when he saw Esther in a deep discussion with the other wives. It was said that wives tended to share the same status as their husbands unless they had their own careers. Esther had both and she had discovered that for her there were a lot of perks that came from being a Fleet Admiral’s wife. She had decided to accompany him when he returned to the Pacific Fleet. Her reasoning was that she had felt that the two of them had drifted too far apart over recent years. He’d told her that he would have taken a posting in Germany, a staff posting under Grand Admiral von Raeder was a serious possibility, if he’d thought that would help but she had said that he was in the place where he was needed the most.

He just wished that he had her confidence in his abilities. It had dawned on him that he was fighting a war on a larger scale than the one in Russia with a fraction of the resources. As impressive as the Pacific Fleet was it could only do part of the job.

He needed to be able to seize and hold land for the Fleet to have forward bases. A single Division of Infantry wouldn’t work for that and the one he had was in a precarious position. The IJA was concentrating on the British in Burma and the Malay Peninsula. If they had made a big move on Vietnam they could easily fall on 3rd Seebaitallon from behind. Jacob had been trying to get the 1st and 2nd Divisions redeployed to the Pacific but unless he could convince the OKW to radically increase the size of the Seebaitallons or send units of the Heer he would have a serious problem. Then there was the landing in Vietnam itself, the after-action report on that had suggested that if the landing had been opposed it would have gone horribly bad. A solution needed to be found.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Oberstabsbootsmann Arend Nuemann was enjoying the latest sojourn of the Fleet. While Freemantle was no one’s idea of a great liberty port at least the SMS Rhineland wasn’t one of the ships that had been sent to do support operations of the coast of Vietnam. Not yet, anyway. Here they had fresh food every day and might get a chance to go into town provided they didn’t wear out their welcome there. On the Rhineland herself Captain Langsdorff seemed solid and looked out for the crew. Best of all he understood tradition and who ruled the forecastle, Oberstabers like Arend.

“Hey Oberstaber” A Matrose said with a smile, “I understand that you’re another Hannover man gone to sea.”

Arend figured that the Matrose was eighteen or nineteen years old. He probably figured that he could ingratiate himself with Arend that way. He’d soon the learn the error of his ways.

“Really now” Arend said “I didn’t catch your name.”

“Christoph Hase” The Matrose said.

“Gustaf Hase a relative of yours?” Arend asked.

“That’s my Grandfather” Christoph answered, pleased that Arend knew that.

“He’s the one who sent me to sea” Arend said “He said that he would have me killed if I stayed in Hanover, haven’t been back since.”

“Grandpop has that effect on people” Christoph said with a smile, “Mean old bastard.”

That was an understatement, Gustaf was a gang leader who had ruled a portion of the Northern German ports with an iron fist. Apparently, he was still alive and kicking.

“That makes you one of Dirk’s boys then?” Arend asked.

“No” Christoph said, “Dirk is my uncle.”

Arend was only aware of one other Hase who Gustaf had acknowledged as one of his children… “Vera is your mother?”

“Yeah” Christoph said.

Arend found himself doing the math in his head. He could see Christoph’s apparent age, then subtracting further to right around the last time he’d seen Vera… Shit.

In spite of decades Arend had spent hiding reactions from Matrose recruits like Christoph, he must have seen something cross Arend’s face.

“Nice to finally meet you Pops” Christoph said, “Ma asked me to let you know that if you’re still untaken she wouldn’t mind seeing you again. She owns the bar and rooming house these days so Grandpop won’t be a problem.”

That little weasel had known and let Arend walk right into that. Arend didn’t care who he was to him, Christoph would learn the hard way why it’s a bad idea to antagonize an Oberstaber.

“I hope that this was worth it to you, Matrose Hase” Arend said with a nasty smile.

“Wouldn’t have it have it any other way, Oberstaber Nuemann” Christoph said, returning the smile.

Abwehr Special Warfare Camp, Near Judenbach-Sonneberg

“You should be proud that you made it through training, but in the end, you got edged out.”

Gefreiter Edmund Metz heard Oberst Thorwald say those words and he wanted the shove his fist through the nearest wall. He’d known that when he’d applied that to odds of being excepted and then making it through were very remote. Even then there were no guarantees. After making it through nine weeks of arduous training he’d not been accepted into the SKA itself. A note would be added to his file saying that he’d completed the training but he’d be returned to his home unit.

“There is an officer who wishes to speak with you” Thorwald said “I would suggest that you listen to what he has to say.”

Of all the officers that could have come in one wearing the uniform of the Seebaitallons wasn’t what Edmund had been expecting.

Last edited:
Well, isn't the Pacific Britain's backyard? Isn't the whole German Intervention in there for their benefit (and a chance to show off Germany's power projection capabilities, of course)? They can at least offer their Allies (or is it the Berlin-Paris-London Axis?) a secure anchorage -or even a port- from where the HSF can operate in relative safety.
The French probably have their own deals with their former colonies for their old harbours.

Spezielle Tauver Kriegsführung-Abteilung could work I supose. STKA, with a sealion on the collar.
Actually? It isn't a bad idea at all. If they passed through the Hellcats's training, but weren't inside the very small percentage of admitted inside, i can perfectly see the Navy deciding that they DO want an SKA equivalent for Maritime based Operations, but adding their own touch of SOBs by picking the best inside the Seabattalions, combine it with those who reached the mark of SKA quality but didn't got a place, and offer them the chance to build the Sealions..