Solar Dreams: a history of solar energy (1878 - 2025)

You know, I'm certain these will be weaponized, just like Archimedes' Solar Rays.

Not really, as the focal point of the parabola, in this case, is about 1.5 the size of the radius (the lenses can extend or retract the final focus point of the light by a few dozen meters).

And focusing technology won't get good enough to increase this to any significant degree without increasing the costs well beyond what would be practical for industrial or even research applications.

Even more, the model shows the most compact configuration possible. It may be entirely possible that this specific kind of solar collectors will only be possible in the Atacama Desert and Altiplano regions.

Daily Coal Tonne Equivalent at minimum insolation, with the yearly equivalent of Anthracite and human figure to scale

(work in progress)View attachment 847821
After making some experiments in Blender and some calculations, a mirror with a radius of 25 meters should produce the equivalent of 1 tonne of anthracite of energy during the Winter Solstice in Almonte.

The cube is the total yearly production of energy as anthracite.
Wow, the size of the collector is rather huge, which makes me wonder, considering the parabolic shape of the collector, perhaps there could be an earlier breakthrough in radio transmission technology, and Chile with experience in building parabolic structures could have a potential to become a center of radio transmission research.

They focus light on a point directly in front of them, not in a beam. If you built one to focus further away, the energy concentrated would drop significantly. It won't have a 'range' much past its own length. Further, focusing it down towards a target on the ground would be a colossal loss of sunlight.

This is a very silly idea. Maybe for April fools?
Sun Tzu will have a field day with this in having a limited ability to flip sunrises and sunsets though, at least near power plants.

Not really, as the focal point of the parabola, in this case, is about 1.5 the size of the radius (the lenses can extend or retract the final focus point of the light by a few dozen meters).

And focusing technology won't get good enough to increase this to any significant degree without increasing the costs well beyond what would be practical for industrial or even research applications.

Even more, the model shows the most compact configuration possible. It may be entirely possible that this specific kind of solar collectors will only be possible in the Atacama Desert and Altiplano regions.
If you're using it as an anti personnel weapon, you need much less power density to dissuade charging infantry than you need to melt rocks and can get away with a wider focus. But yeah, hideously impractical. Maybe some anti-zeppelin use, but they'll just attack on less sunny days instead.

26: The Monster of Atacama
Petit Journal Post.jpg

(A somewhat incorrect depiction of Atacama Desert, with the Minimum Tonne Equivalent in the center stage)
January, 1892
Almonte, Tarapacá

Augustin Mouchot couldn't help but notice that how much Almonte had changed in the last few years. It went from a sleepy village in the desert, to a thriving town, and was well on its way to become a city thanks to the Franco-Chilena. If only the company itself didn't engulf it first and devour it like microorganisms did. It already dominated the town in three out of four directions. Constantino Serrano was already lobbying with the regional government to rebuild the town five kilometers to the north, promising assistance and funding to build a new and better city, the most modern in Chile.
He noted a worker going riding a bicycle of the new model invented in Britain, and marvelled at the simplicity and efficiency of the design. He briefly wondered why he didn't think about that, and chuckled at the many, many times he'd heard pettier people say that what he's done is nothing special. "A child pointing a magnifying glass at an ant does the same" a critic said once.
But nobody did it at the scale he proposed before, and certainly nobody had done it at the scale he was working now. A scale that casted a shadow over all of Almonte, even if it was three kilometres away, taller than the insolent trees in the town square and even taller than the Church's bell tower. To his knowledge, the tallest structure in Chile, perhaps the tallest structure in South America. A giant designed by a Chilean engineer, Victorino Lastarria, who was thrilled to work with the Franco-Chilena, crediting the company with surviving the rainy winters in the south of Chile.
The work also casted a shadow on himself. After almost thirty years, more than half of his adult life, he could say for certain that no new challenges awaited him. No new ideas to test, or new technologies to develop. From now on, all that remained was the refining of his technologies, to manage teams of scientist and engineers to squeeze the last percentages of efficiencies out of what once came from his mind. Weird still, he had encountered feelings at what he - and his Chileans associates and friends - had created in this inferno. A company that worked on ideas, not resources. A silent, safe and sanitary workplace for the workers. An business venture who could afford to experiment on a grand scale without risk.
His life vision casted a long shadow on himself.
Which is why Madame Goyenechea asked him if there was something wrong when he met her and her entourage at the new train station.
- Nothing, if anything, everything is going according to plan.
- And that worries you, Docteur?
- Not at all. It's just that... It's not a very pertinent to our schedule today. How was your trip?
- Very good. The railroad certainly changes things. And I see things have changed here, as well. - She said, looking towards the enormous solar collector. - So that's the thing that will drive my mines out of business? - She asked, waiting for a cheeky response from Mouchot.
- Of course it will. That machine alone will produce around 1/500th of Lota's annual production. Lota produces Anthracite, right?
- Bituminous, actually. - She responded.
- Make it 1/400th then. - And, as he predicted, Isidora Goyenechea betrayed an expression of awe for half a second, as she got in the coach that would lead them to the . He was victorious this time.
Isidora Goyenechea asked more about the numbers, about the building and maintenance costs, about the amount of workers, the energy production, and maximum temperatures reachable by the device. To each answer, she silently nodded.

And then, as she got closer to the device, an entirely different question:
- Are those... Sea Shanties I hear?
Augustin Mouchot sighed... after all his ideas for sun tracking proved unfeasible, he had to accept Alejandro Puig's ridiculous suggestion of treating it as a sailing rig, with a crew of people making constant adjustments using cables and ropes. Judicious use of mechanical advantage reduced the needed hands to just fifteen - ten during lunch time - but it was constant work. And thus, sea shanties were sung in the middle of the desert, only interrupted by the correcting barks of the supervisor.

And once they were close enough, that same supervisor shouted orders at them. He ordered them to stop, and to not come any closer.
- Do you have any idea to whom you're talking that way? - Isidora Goyenechea's assistance shouted back.
- Lady Goyenechea de Cousiño and Docteur Augustin Mouchot... and you. - The overseer said, matter-of-factly.
- Stop using that tone or you'll lose your job.
- I'll lose my job anyways if I don't use it and keep you from wondering into a hazardous area. Get close enough to the focus, and you'll begin to roast. It takes about three minutes to roast an entire cow to perfection at twenty meters of the focus... and you, specifically, look like the kind of person who'd get close enough to the focus for this warning to be needed. - the Supervisor - an ex Enlisted Sailor, Mouchot was willing to bet his entire participation in the Franco-Chilena - said with venom in his voice at the impertinent and well dressed man. - Lady Goyenechea, excuse me for my impertinence, but we're in a hazardous zone. While you're near the device, you'll listen to my instructions and do as I say.
- This is entirely reasonable, Mister...
- Hermes Soto. Everyone calls me Sargento.
- Very well, Sargento. How can we proceed?
- You'll start by putting on the protective gear. And then you'll join me at my overwatch position.

They all did as instructed (the man of the entourage did so with a bitter expression, as if he was suffering an indignity). Thick white garments covered them entirely, only punctuated by almost opaque vision slits. By the time they were done, everyone looked the same.
- We're conducting tests today. We have still to iron some troubles with the focusing array to reduce the focus area to its theoretical limits, but we're about 75% there. Enough to melt the calcite that makes most of the copper ore from Chuquicamata.
- And this is the daily amount it can melt? - Isidora Goyenechea asked.
- At these conditions, we ought to melt this tonne in about fifteen minutes. The tests we've conducted suggest we can melt 25 tonnes during the Winter Solstice and 55 during the Summer Solstice, with a daily average of 40 tonnes. 2% of that is copper.
- So we're looking at a minimum of 500 kilos of copper per day and... just shy of 150 tonnes of copper yearly? - Goyenechea asked.
- Indeed. Now, I have to ask you to check your equipment again. If you stare at the sun and it is uncomfortable, then change the gear you're wearing. The sun should look like a firefly through these.

Nobody complained, so Sargento began barking orders again. "Direction, two seaward, fast! Declination, three south, slow! Focus Angle, three clockwise! Focus point farther!"
Nothing happened at first, then a faint point on where the ore would be, which grew more and more intense at it outshone the sun. Then the beam became visible and, finally, the very ore began to glow from the heat. It was liquid at that point.

"Direction, break sun, fast!" - Sargento said, and the beam disappeared in seconds as the singing machine moved away from the sun entirely. - "You can now remove your visors". The ore, which was at ambient temperature a few moments ago, had been turned into a pool of lava, with the copper flowing through an exit. "Of course, this is just a demonstration and refining is a much more complex process. But any process that needs heat can be supplied this way." - Sargento said as the last part of his speech

Mouchot wasn't surprised, he'd done the calculations himself and knew that these results were to be expected. But Isidora Goyenechea and her entourage were.

- It melted a tonne of rock as if it was nothing, burning nothing*. - Isidora Goyenechea said. - How is coal going to compete against these monsters?

The Minimum Tonne Equivalent machine or, as Isidora Goyenechea herself dubbed them, "The Monster of Atacama" represent the summum of Augustin Mouchot's idea for a Solar Collector. Although the design would be refined in the next years and decades - with computerized and sensor-based solar tracking becoming feasible only in the following decade - it has remained more or less static in time. As a design that hasn't seen a significant change since it was first developed in the 1880s it is a resounding success. As Mouchot's dream as the alternative to coal, it has only been feasible outside Atacama in parts of California, Jordan, Libya and Namibia and failed everywhere else.

If it is considered a failure, though, one must consider that it was the failure that made the Atacama Desert one of the most strategically important parts of the world.

*: These calculations are accurate. I did the math and that's pretty much it.

Wow, the size of the collector is rather huge, which makes me wonder, considering the parabolic shape of the collector, perhaps there could be an earlier breakthrough in radio transmission technology, and Chile with experience in building parabolic structures could have a potential to become a center of radio transmission research.

I'd rather not change that part of history too much, as it'd turn a story in which Chile become an industrialized nation with a large R&D sector into an outright Chilewank. Chileans won't be the only ones playing with parabolic mirrors, so it stands to reason that the same discovery could be made earlier somewhere else.

An interesting possibility is an early development of radioastronomy. Point a parabolic mirror to the night sky (maybe thinking it can collect starlight and work at night, or something), and check the receiving radiowaves.

Conventional optical astronomy may benefit, too. These are segmented mirrors on tracking systems (manual now, but in years to come automated) on the scale of the latest large segmented telescopes. Probably less precisely-ground mirrors, given the focus for astronomy is an order of magnitude or two beyond solar focusing, but being used to building such tracking rigs could make trying such a system for large mirror astronomy something feasible in a half century or so. Maybe @Workable Goblin can shed some rain on my parade on this thought...

Damn seeing that chonker in action was epic! Heh, this is not the usual meaning of "solar sailors" but I like it. Why is it called the "Minimum Tonne Equivalent"?

I see the die has been cast, and we're at the stage where clear sunlight is worth its weight in gold. America at least has California, but the Euros are going to be looking at those other deserts with drool in their mouths. How come it wasn't feasible in other part of North Africa like Egypt and Algeria?

Damn seeing that chonker in action was epic! Heh, this is not the usual meaning of "solar sailors" but I like it. Why is it called the "Minimum Tonne Equivalent"?

I see the die has been cast, and we're at the stage where clear sunlight is worth its weight in gold. America at least has California, but the Euros are going to be looking at those other deserts with drool in their mouths. How come it wasn't feasible in other part of North Africa like Egypt and Algeria?

The name is due to these collectors being able to produce thermal energy equivalent of one tonne of anthracite during the winter solstice, which is the minimum amount of heat they generate.

This was calculated using Blender's Sun Position addon and Graphics Magick to get averaged irradiances for different periods of time (yearly, winter solstice and summer solstice), with which I could extrapolate the irradiance of any day.

As for the geographical limitations if these devices, it is a result of being designed to work at an anomalous area of the world:

The Atacama Monster is a device capable of reaching blast furnace temperatures unaided, but it is only possible to do so because the environment conditions in Atacama are insane. There are few zones that can compare, only the ones where the map takes a very dark hue of purple.

So, while it is relatively easy to get domestic and 'cold' industrial heat in any sunny place on Earth, it becomes a bit inefficient to try to produce the amount of heat needed for metallurgical processes outside a few selected places.

Technology can mitigate the costs somewhat, and improve the efficiency of the mirrors used, but there's a hard limit on how much irradiance each part of the world receives.

Thanks for the clarification and link. Man, the egyptians must be really cranky that the Nile Valley, sandwiched between the hot zones of Libya and Arabia, is just barely not sunny enough to do smelting.

Thanks for the clarification and link. Man, the egyptians must be really cranky that the Nile Valley, sandwiched between the hot zones of Libya and Arabia, is just barely not sunny enough to do smelting.
A lot of Egypt is basically the same colour as Libya and Arabia on that map, but admittedly, nowhere near the convenient Nile that could transport finished products downstream efficiently.

Maybe @Workable Goblin can shed some rain on my parade on this thought...
Alas, the idea is quite old but holding the mirrors in the proper position for astronomy is basically impossible without computers and computer-controlled equipment (otherwise you are just introducing a rigid frame and I suspect you have no advantage over a monolithic mirror). This does not matter so much in the industrial application because you're still concentrating all of the light on your heating target even with a mild misfocus, but in the astronomical application...

That being said, all of this is likely to benefit astronomy in other ways. At this point in time, astronomy was switching over from refractor to reflector telescopes because refractors had hit their fundamental limits, but were hampered by the fact that the mirrors that they could make needed constant resilvering and repolishing. The same would probably be true of our friend industrialists (silver is not exactly known for being impervious to weather), not to mention the cost of silver, so it might accelerate the development of aluminum deposition techniques that produced much more durable mirrors. That would still be pretty useful.

I'd rather not change that part of history too much, as it'd turn a story in which Chile become an industrialized nation with a large R&D sector into an outright Chilewank. Chileans won't be the only ones playing with parabolic mirrors, so it stands to reason that the same discovery could be made earlier somewhere else.

An interesting possibility is an early development of radioastronomy. Point a parabolic mirror to the night sky (maybe thinking it can collect starlight and work at night, or something), and check the receiving radiowaves.
The problem is that as the conditions ONLY happen in Atacama...... The region basically it's an eternal natural furnace that can produce a very sizeable amount molten Metals at a laughable fraction of the cost anywhere else.......

its a money check that signs itself.....and odds are that Argentina will WANT that money generator. They already were causing issues about the Atacama Puna region... And with the fact that the Atacama region is possibly an inexhaustible natural resource for the smelting of metals..... Odds are that some in Argentina WILL propose to control the region.....

The problem is that as the conditions ONLY happen in Atacama...... The region basically it's an eternal natural furnace that can produce a very sizeable amount molten Metals at a laughable fraction of the cost anywhere else.......

its a money check that signs itself.....and odds are that Argentina will WANT that money generator. They already were causing issues about the Atacama Puna region... And with the fact that the Atacama region is possibly an inexhaustible natural resource for the smelting of metals..... Odds are that some in Argentina WILL propose to control the region.....

And then there's Bolivia, who already wanted that region even before it was profitable...

“he had to accept Alejandro Puig's ridiculous suggestion of treating it as a sailing rig, with a crew of people making constant adjustments using cables and ropes.” -heh to see Puig is still making practical suggestions to the project!

Hope Puig is remembered as one of the greats in solar generation.

I like the Monster is somewhat limited in location, but it does raise some questions about who controls those places: “it has only been feasible outside Atacama in parts of California, Jordan, Libya and Namibia” for example does ITTL ‘California’ control New Mexico as I’d have thought that region is better for a Monster?

Great chapter there!

“he had to accept Alejandro Puig's ridiculous suggestion of treating it as a sailing rig, with a crew of people making constant adjustments using cables and ropes.” -heh to see Puig is still making practical suggestions to the project!

Hope Puig is remembered as one of the greats in solar generation.

I like the Monster is somewhat limited in location, but it does raise some questions about who controls those places: “it has only been feasible outside Atacama in parts of California, Jordan, Libya and Namibia” for example does ITTL ‘California’ control New Mexico as I’d have thought that region is better for a Monster?

Great chapter there!
I imagine Death Valley is the part of California where the Monster would perform well.

I imagine Death Valley is the part of California where the Monster would perform well.

Making some napkin calculations*, the radius of any MTE (I swear I didn't know it fit so well as a contraction), any place with more than 2500 kWh/year of global tilted irradiation at optimum angle (which is what we're after) would need only a 16% of increase in area to produce the same amount of energy as in Atacama, which looking at the Irradiance Map would be:

The Himalayas (good luck putting anything up there, though)
Parts of Pakistan
Western Saudi Arabia, up to Jordan
Yemen
The Sinai Peninsula
Western Egypt, roughly 100 kilometres from The Nile.
Deep within the Sahara
Namibia and South Africa
The Atacama Region (roughly following the Chilean post war borders, and going as south as Illapel)
Argentina, near San Juan
Juarez/El Paso (good irradiance, but more intermittency)
The Gulf of California up to Death Valley
Western Australia (same as Juarez/El Paso)

All of these places might have Industrial-scale high temperature devices.

Something interesting about Arabia is that the ideal places for solar development are on opposite side of the country from the un explored oil fields. It might affect the development of its industry.

* I use 8640 samples to make the yearly average of a place. Even working with small tiles (8x8 pixels), Blender takes time to render each sample and thus I can't make the precise calcs for each place. It's the winter solstice irradiance which dictates if a place can work year round.

I was wrong about New Mexico then.

Still other places will be important, which will lead to quite different borders than OTL methinks.