Solar Dreams: a history of solar energy (1878 - 2025)

So it is surprising that, in 1895, it was a German researcher who developed one of the earliest forms of viable large-scale energy storage: the Liquid Air battery. Although not an electrochemical battery, it was a device that could store and then release energy by forcing the boiling fluid through a modified triple-expansion engine. It offered several advantages over electrochemical batteries, having higher energy density, being more economical to build and operate, while requiring no rare or dangerous materials. Crucially, the liquid air was also portable once produced, allowing it to act as a fuel for the emerging automobile industry, giving it a flexibility that electrochemical batteries lacked.

Considering what happened in that post, is it really safe for that sort of use?

The breaking of the Dewar flask reminded me of a couple of scenes from the animated movie "Steamboy" (2004), where something similar happened.

I really felt for Herr Hess here, really thought he would not get out of the problem. Cunning use of his equipment there to stop Sebastiani and his thugs. Hope those kids got out of the mines.

Was Hess able to recover most of his notes, damaged or not before they left.

Liquid Air battery is a very neat idea that should spur all sorts of changes and vehicles.

Nice that Italy got a solar power industry by such an bizarre method.

NOTE: It doesn't come clear in the story, but Hess was bullshitting to Sebastiani about the potential of liquid air as an energy source. He just knew that it'd burst and probably take out the thugs, but he was mostly replicating Mouchot's work on air liquefaction using Stirling engines and reporting on his research.

Liquid Air isn't a superfuel as described, and its energy density (125 wh/kg in practice) is two orders of magnitude smaller than gasoline (12200 wh/kg), but far surpasses the density of contemporary Lead-Acid batteries (35 wh/kg) and is competitive with current Lithium batteries (200-300 wh/kg).

So, in the context of the late 19th century, when turbines, recirculation and regenerative braking systems are still unknown or unproven, we could cut the recoverable energy in half and still have something that far surpasses known energy storage systems, while having obvious limitations that must be dealt with before reaching the technology's full potential.

Here's a description of the process by a company currently creating these systems

And a video where this technology is discussed.

Here's a link that briefly describes an early Liquid Air powered car, which shows that turn of the century technology was capable of developing these devices in OTL

That's a wow! Solar's competitiveness just got a big one in the pocket.
All this makes me wonder how the Mouchot is perceived in France. His idea is now causing a seismic shift on a global scale and his name sure to be in the historic books, bringing immense benefit to surrounding rival nations who are all wholeheartedly pursuing solar while they sat on the fence. How is French pride taking this?

Solar Energy and the adjacent technologies and advances are still somewhat limited in reach, with Atacama being the outlier for obvious reasons. For now, they are seen as interesting experiments and - paralleling a bit of the "fossil chauvinism" discussed in the paper I shared a few weeks ago - a 'poor man's' energy, used when coal isn't available.

Of course, there are people everywhere taking notice. Abel Pifre in France is certainly taking notes of his former associate making a fortune in South America and working in the background.

Narratively, though, he won't make an appearance until at least 1896, as I have the timeline up until that year written with the actors in place.

Also the sheer material and industrial wealth now available to these powers will be staggering, how many more battleships is the Kaiser going to demand and how will the British respond? Is the Italian government going to let the mafia keep control of the new Sicilian golden goose?

In a way, Germany shouldn't deviate much from OTL during this point, since they have a secure energy source in the Rhine coal deposits. Marginal prices of coal will severely limit solar infrastructure development in the region, relegating it to niche applications such as air conditioning and air liquefaction ("We can't be bothered to get coal for that").

However, this will greatly affect colonization, as the marginal prices of coal and renewables will invert in those areas. How will this change the relations between European powers is something that will come off gradually as things develop. I don't want to set the story on a given path just because I want it.

In Sicily, the Florio family wasn't particularly known for their mafia connections. They probably had some, but for the most part they were industrialists. And they don't a monopoly on solar power, just a really good headstart.

The Midwest seems on the path for a quite different electrification, can this new wind energy system be used for railway electrification? If so Africa and Australia might soon be brisked with tracks. Northern Mexico might be even more tied to the US than just dialect.

Electrification and mechanisation, since liquid air could be used as a working fluid as well as an energy storage system. Given consistent winds (or winds+ Stirling solar), a farmer could become independent of fossil fuels.
And depending on how much winds become an economic factor, this in turn could change how farms are pollinated and the kind of crops grown. I'd have to do a bit of math to figure out the numbers for a more in-depth answer.

Damn this was a really 'cool' scene.

Sorry.

Anyways, I love how you always find fun ways to demonstrate the viability and effect of new developments in solar. Boiling/freezing four people alive is certainly one way to do it😮. On the broader implications of this, liquid air is a fuel source I honestly never considered before. I suppose insulation might be a bit of a problem, you can't exactly haul it around in steel drums like you can with oil, but the possibility for a liquid air train or car is intriguing.

It's actually quite feasible to store and transport cryonic fluids with a Dewar flask... so long as you don't hit it with an axe because your moronic boss told you to. Once stored, they can remain cold for weeks with little supervision.

Which reminds me... I assume the development of automobiles is currently progressing as per OTL, but I wonder if any of those early inventors are sending inquisitive looks over at the solar industry. Karl Benz is certainly situated at the right place and time to run into Doctor Hess once he makes his return to the reich. Perhaps we'll get a cameo from him down the line?

Great update, can't wait for more!

Vehicle development is an interesting topic, as there were many options being considered IOTL which were more or less plausible. Oil powered cars still have their advantage of easy refueling and more power, but cheaper and more abundant electricity or easy to produce liquid air will offer more competition this time around.

Speaking of liquid air: it has economies of scale. This means that a larger storage will incur in less losses than a smaller one (less proportional area to radiate heat). This will have implications for energy generation and vehicle size in the future, if liquid air becomes more popular.

February, 1893
Caltanissetta, Sicily

I

- "Well, these are my terms, Mr. Sebastiani. You can take them or leave them.". Klaus wondered if he had the strength to throw the desk onto the old Sicilian man. It was a nice, solid desk, one in which Klaus had spent many evenings making calculations and parsing data, or just staring into the beautiful countryside. Those pleasurable memories now stung with remorse over their price.
- "You are being unreasonable, Herr Klaus." - Sebastiani responded.
- "Doctor Klaus. And I fail to see how these terms would be unreasonable to any civilized man."
- "Do you really think we can afford to work with adults in those mines? Or that a fully grown man could fit inside the tunnels?"
- "I don't think that. I know it's entirely possible because we did it in Prussia sixty years ago." - Klaus answered, feeling some measure of national pride he didn't know he had. - "And I don't believe that even before that the conditions were quite as horrid as they are here."
- "Well, I'll tell you something: Sicily isn't Prussia. The kids you're so vehemently defending have nowhere else to go, their parents leave them with us. In some cases they sell them to us. We're all they have."
- "And I know that you are lying. I've actually talked with the parents of some of the kids you've taken. What you've done to those families..." - Klaus unconsciously grabbed the desk, felt the weight and realized that he wouldn't be able to throw it with enough force to do anything. That the thought crossed his mind was enough reason to take a breath and calm down, even if the bastard deserved something thrown at him. - "... few things I've seen are as despicable as that."
- "Doctor Hess, I'm afraid I can't accept your terms. We can afford to stop using electricity in our mines, which isn't the case with children. I don't understand your thought. These kids are provided for, have daily rations and some even earn money. Don't you think this is good for them?"
- "Mr. Sebastiani, I've seen some of the kids you sent to work on my concentrators begging your overseers to not drag them back into the mines. I've seen some of the kids deformed by the backbreaking labour your company has subjected them to begging on the streets, or dying on them. This whole enterprise is criminal, and it is my shame that I've ever associated with you."
- "An association which has been very profitable to you, if I recall correctly. Isn't it? Hasn't it allowed you to fund your research?"
- "Yes it has. That's another shame I'll have to burden. But the Leopoldina will fund my research if needed. I don't need your money."
- "I am sorry that we'll have to part ways in this manner, Doctor Klaus. I am sorry that you think we're being evil when we're just helping those who have no other options."
- "If this is your idea of help, perhaps you ought to stop and leave fate have its' way with these kids. At least then it'd be quick."
That last comment appeared to hit, as a single tear ran down Andrea's face. It felt both satisfying to watch and heartbreaking.
- "Very well, Doctor Hess. You've made your point very clear. I don't think I can't retain you any longer. I wish you success in your future endeavours, and perhaps one day we may find under better circumstances." - Andrea Sebastiani strecthed his hand for a final handshake. Klaus looked at his hand, and then to his eyes. A man who had grown rich over the exploitation of children, who had destroyed countless families and left the discarded and ruined boys as soon as they weren't capable of work. That was the man who asking for a handshake to part on good terms.
- "Good bye, Mr. Sebastiani. I hope that Christ will forgive you for your sins." - Klaus said, deliberately refusing to shake hands. He closed his notebook and went outside the small office one last time basking in the beauty of Caltanissetta. At least now he'd be able to look Klara in the eyes.

II

The next night, Klara surprised Klaus by dressing in her best evening gown and compelling him to stop his work for a bit. He accepted at once, almost enthralled by her beauty. He asked her if she wanted for him to prepare for the evening, still not understanding what was the occasion. He always finished the day a bit disheveled.
- "Not if you don't want to. And I'd rather spend those minutes with you."
- "Oh, then I won't. What's the occasion?"
- "I am celebrating that I married a good man. I knew you'd do the right thing even if it costed us."
- "After what I saw, I wouldn't do it any other way. It was monstrous." - A spark of outrage came and went, remembering what his work had enabled these years.
- "Can we... stop thinking about that? It's over. We'll head back to Germany and start over. Now, let's go down to the dinner room. I've prepared you a surprise."
A surprise indeed. On the table there was a full course meal, cooked to perfection by Klara and her domestic helpers. That he didn't notice any of it was a sign of how absorbed in his work he could get. He usually made do with a sandwich and, if he was totally honest, he didn't think that Klara was capable of cooking like that.
- "Are those pork ribs?"
- "In the pomeranian style. I think this is your favourite, right?"
- "Yes" - He said, baffled. Not once had he told her what he liked to eat. He didn't much care for food in general. He would eat as quickly as possible, and even cook when Klara couldn't or wouldn't. - "but how did you know?"
- "I carry a little notebook with all I need to know about you." - She said, in jest. - "I asked your friends and family."
- "My favourite indeed, and this smells wonderful!"
- "Then, let's start." - She said. - "I am very proud of you, my love. You did the difficult thing, the right thing."
- "It wasn't difficult at all. Not after I saw those boys." - he thought about that for a moment. Several years, and he never saw or even suspected he was enabling such evil. - "Am I really a good man?"
- "My love, you didn't know. And you took steps once you did. That's all that can be done. Now... let's forget about the horror for this evening. Let's drink and look up to our future, instead." - She raised her cup and waited for the toast. Klaus did and was almost intoxicated by the wine's smell even before tasting it. Klara noted that, and explained. - "This is a gift from Miss Rancatore."
- "The hag that harrassed you gave you this wine?" - Klaus asked.
- "Yes. And she was right to do so. I'd do the same if they were my kids." - Klara hesitated for a bit, then drank a long sip of the wine. Klaus understood why, and looked her into her eyes, telling everything she needed to calm down. A conversation had a thousand times before, reduced to a single glance. - "But perhaps we should talk about the future, instead of the past."
- "About that... I think I have an avenue of research ready. I've already sent a proposal which might get an approved."
- "So tell me."
- "Solar energy is the future. There's no doubt about it, there are some factories in the Atacama Desert that now operate without burning a single lump of coal. The other day I saw a building with one of those Solar Boilers the English are producing on its roof. There's no doubt that that crazy Frenchman baking in the desert was right: the sun can provide enough energy to suit our needs, but there's only one problem."
- "It's away half of the time?" - She guessed.
- "That's it! So we have to find a way do deal with the intermittency. I have an idea for a building-sized battery, which should provide enough power for a small city until my concentrators can kick in. Lead-acid batteries ough to be enough, but we could take advantage of their charge surges to charge Kleistian jars and provide a flow of constant voltage direct current. So, it's just a matter of improving the batteries and prevent adsorption on the catodes and anodes to retard corrosion." - He said, enthusiastically. Klara just looked at him, smiling. - "You didn't hear anything of what I've said, right?"
- "... I tried. It's just that I don't have the mind for it. I think I'm better with the past."
- "You and your philhellenism." - He said, getting a chuckle out of her. "I guess I'll have to show it to you."
- "I'll guess you'll have to." - She said, smiling.
- "This wine is amazing. Please tell me you got more than a bottle?"
- "She offered me three barrels. Turns out she has quite the vineyard. But I had to turn her down, after you turned the wine cellar into a laboratory."
- "Well, the place was well suited for cryonic storage. I guess the builders of this place knew what they were doing. The thermal stability of that cellar is amazing."
The evening was on to a good start.

III

A loud noise awoke Klaus. It wasn't a strike and it wasn't a shot, but he couldn't identify it. Klaus' conscience returned in parts. First his self-awareness, then his thought, and then his senses. Klara's skin against his', cold bedsheets damp with sweat and a tinge of wine in their breaths came in first. Then moonlight entering through the window, enough to discern volume and distance. Then steps and loud voices in Sicilian. Close. Beneath their room, at the Manor's main entrance. Forcing their way in.

He shook Klara until she was awake. She started to protest, but he shut her mouth with his hands.
- "There are people here. Put some clothes, quick. We need to get out of here." - He said. It wasn't a plan, not yet. Within a minute, both were dressed enough, and another idea appeared. He kept a revolver in his office, in case something like this ever happened. He kept it under lock and key, but he thought that the door would hold on for a few more seconds. After that, he'd have something to fight back, whomev-

Andrea Sebastiani. It couldn't be anyone else. He had come to seek vengeance with a group of thugs.

It didn't matter. He had to find the key, it was somewhere in his desk. Not in the first drawer. Not in the second. By the third, he was ripping the drawers off, there was no time left.

The main door bursted, steps and loud voices came much clearer this time. Klara covered her mouth and shouted. Loudly enough to give their position. More steps. Nearer.

The last drawer, the closest to the floor. The logical place to hide something. He tore it from the desk and shook its contents over it. Down came the brass key. Steps outside. The office door ought to hold long enough for him to recover the gun.

A shot disintegrated the door lock, propelling it with enough force to make sparks when it impacted against the stone wall. In came three thugs carrying guns, axes and clubs. Behind them, impeccably dressed, came Sebastiani.

- "Doctor Hess, Frau Hess... I'm sorry it has come to this, but you disrespected me in front of my men, so now I have to send a message. Please, follow me."

IV

- "First we will thrash this place. Then we will set it on fire. Then you'll go back to work for me, until your debt is paid. You will see everything you've built with my money destroyed, Doctor Hess." - Sebastiani said, venom pouring from his voice. Axes came down the desk, notebooks were ripped, decorations shattered and the furniture was ripped apart. Then the same happened to the room, then the dining room, the kitchen and the garden Klara nurtured. She fainted early on, skipping most of the violence. A small mercy that punctuated the ongoing horror. Within five minutes, the villa was almost completely destroyed. They spent another five destroying the Solar Concentrators he used to produce liquid air. That hurt.
- "You are a monster, Sebastiani. God will judge you."
- "I am not going to be lectured on religion by a Lutheran heretic like you. Has it occurred to you that maybe I'm God's agent on Earth? Do you even know how many people I've led to Christ in these troubling times? Maybe God is using me to punish you, Herr Hess."
- "You better shoot me, I won't be going back to your mines. I won't work for you."
- "That's acceptable too. But first you get to see all your work undone. Death shouldn't be a relief."
The thugs dragged Klaus and the unconscious Klara towards the wine cellar, to continue their rampage.
- "I didn't imagine you for a cultured man, Herr Hess. Few Germans know their wine, and few Germans would appreciate the wine produced by that old cunt. Congratulations. Now you get to see your whole reserves poured on the floor and pissed upon."
- "That isn't a wine cellar anymore."

Upon hearing that, Sebastiani gestured his men to stop. He then faced Klaus and slapped him. A feeble slap, all things considered. Unsurprising, given how old and weak Sebastiani looked.
- "I don't care what you have in there. It's getting destroyed along anything else in this place. This is what your impertinence brings you."

And then, a plan finally was formed in his mind.

- "Please, Mr. Sebastiani. Let me keep my life's work. It is worth a fortune." - Klaus said, appealing to Sebastiani's sadism.
- "No. I don't care anymore. You insulted me, and I already have a fortune. Your disrespect will cost yours'."

Klaus struggled as two thugs dragged him inside, the other carrying Klara over his shoulder. She woke up and struggled briefly, before looking at Klaus in the eyes. Klaus looked back, and she calmed down. The thug carrying her dropped her like a sack of potatoes and joined the other two as they waited for Sebastiani's signal to start their work.
- " I see that your lovely wife woke up. Klaudia, isn't it? A pleasure to meet you." - Sebastiani said, giving a lascivious look at her. - "...So this is your life's work? These metal barrels?" - He pointed towards the six Dewar flasks, each containing two cubic meters of liquid air at normal pressure.
- "Please, Mr. Sebastiani, I'm working on a revolutionary fuel source. It can burn ten times longer than coal, but is stable and safe at room temperature. It will change everything. Please, Mr. Sebastiani, I beg you!" - Sebastiani proved to be suggestible. Pushing him to the right direction wouldn't be too difficult."
- "Does it? Then perhaps we can use it to burn your home. Thank you for providing us with the means." - And with that, he ordered the men to rip one of the flasks from its base. The thugs at first tried to push one with their hands, burning them with the extreme cold.
- "See? I told you, it can remain hot for months!" - Klaus said, in his most defeated tone.
- "I don't have time for your nonsense. Now we three get to witness the end of your lifetime's work" - Sebastiani told Klaus. He then shouted something, and the men struck the flasks with their weapons.

One hit, two hits, and the first Dewar flask dented. The third shook it out of its' base, and Klaus noticed how it started to leak. The fourth hit came from the man wielding the axe. It pierced the flask. At first nothing happened, as Klaus expected. A few seconds later, the liquid air began to boil, forming a jet that engulfed the men. It was hard to tell if it was gaseous or liquid, but it didn't matter. The cryonic temperature burned the thugs' skin before freezing it. One was pushed against the wall and pinned in place by the force of the jet, until he shattered and disintegrated. Another one fell into the mist, never to be seen again. The third, the one carrying the shotgun, managed to cover his face with the gun, and was mostly unscathed.

He pointed the gun at Klara and fired, but nothing happened. He tried again, but his finger freezed in place. At such low temperatures, his nervous system struggled to send signals, so he didn't even realize he was wading in a shallow pool of liquid air until he tried to walk, breaking his leg and falling face first into the cryonic nightmare. He struggled for a few seconds, shouting for his mother before expiring. With Klara and Sebastiani in shock, and Klaus mesmerized by the spectacle of physics unfolding in front of him, the only thing moving now was the compromised Dewar flask. It almost seemed as if it was trying to free itself, as if it was protesting its predicament like a caged animal. It finally came off, and like a rocket it slammed against another flask, knocking it out of place and causing a chain reaction that resulted in the total destruction of the lab.

The cellar's temperature was dropping fast, and in a matter of minutes it would reach polar temperatures. But they had a few seconds. Klaus looked at Sebastiani in the eye, the old man was just starting to realize his situation. Klaus grabbed Sebastiani by the neck. The Sicilian businessman tried to negotiate, then beg, as Klaus dragged him to the pool of liquid air.
- "I really hope you've asked Christ for forgiveness." - Klaus said to Sebastiani, before pushing him into the boiling and freezing pool. And that was that for Andrea Sebastiani.

Klaus made sure that Klara got out first, before watching one last time the frozen inferno he had unleashed.
- "I thought you hated that lab." - Klara said with a weird calmness in her voice, either because she was catatonic or because she was trying to cope with the brief horror that they had lived.
- "I did. But then I realized that I may have accidentally told that old bastard the truth."
- "What do you mean?"
- "While you were unconscious, I told him that my life's work was in that lab to entice him into destroying it, because there was a secret fuel I was developing."
- "But it was just air, you whined about it a thousand times."
- "I didn't whine!" - Klaus protested. - "Anyways, the force with which it boiled made me think that it be used to replace steam. Not exactly a fuel, but it can be used to store energy to be used later."
- "And you were thinking this as people were dying all around you?" - Klara asked. A question that perplexed him.
- "... yes." - Klaus admitted, which caused Klara to burst out laughing.
- "I married a weird man. He can't get out of the lab even as he's killing an old man with liquid air." - She said, between snorts of unladylike laughter.
- "And I married a weird woman. She's laughing because I killed an old man with liquid air." - He answered, also laughing in an undignified way.
- "There's something very wrong with us." - Klara said.
- "... yes." - He said, which sent Klara into another fit of laughter. - "But I think that this was our cue to leave this island. We leave tomorrow at dawn. I don't want to come here ever again."
This is even worse than I thought...then again the violence shown is definitely tame by Sicilian standards....
[...]The development of Solar Energy was of secondary importance for Germany during the first half of the 1890s. Epistolary records between the Director of the German Academy of Sciences and Whilhem II show clear skepticism on the part of the Young Kaiser on the merits of this source of power, even as it was starting to become an appreciable factor in the economies of British colonies and Northern Chile. Some of the skepticism comes from the Kaiser's shortsighted chauvinism which dismissed it as "a french invention" unsuitable for German climates, and in part from a very understandable concern with intermittency, a flaw which all early Solar systems possessed.

So it is surprising that, in 1895, it was a German researcher who developed one of the earliest forms of viable large-scale energy storage: the Liquid Air battery. Although not an electrochemical battery, it was a device that could store and then release energy by forcing the boiling fluid through a modified triple-expansion engine. It offered several advantages over electrochemical batteries, having higher energy density, being more economical to build and operate, while requiring no rare or dangerous materials. Crucially, the liquid air was also portable once produced, allowing it to act as a fuel for the emerging automobile industry, giving it a flexibility that electrochemical batteries lacked.

More importantly, the Liquid Air battery decoupled energy production from energy consumption. Other contemporary systems did the same with work (such as compressed air) or with heat (Mouchot's phase-change reservoirs), which made them less versatile than a true energy storage system. At the cost of a slight loss in efficiency, solar energy could be converted to motive power or electricity on demand. Other fuel-less sources also benefited from this breakthrough, with Poul La Cour adapting it for use with its wind turbines in 1897, and the Aeromotor Company in Texas offering a "wind energy system" in 1904 that radically changed the way of life for farmers in the Mid West.[...]
An the winds of changes started to blow again....and it finally reaches the United States of America... and oh boy the winds could be strong enough to be classified as a hurricane once American capitalism is involved.
[...]Given the importance of this breakthrough, it is perhaps curious to learn that there's very little documentation about the early research and development of the original idea. For all intents and purposes, it is as if Klaus Hess had a flash of inspiration which led directly to the Liquid Air battery once he returned to Germany. There's no epistolary record of a discussion of the idea, or even an indirect mention of the potential use of liquid air as a storage alternative until he formally proposed it in April, 1894. Although this shouldn't be unusual given the loss of his correspondence during his time in Sicily, it gives room for speculation. In the opinion of this author, the rumours about his involvement in the disappearance of the Sicilian businessman and alleged crime boss Andrea Sebastiani are unfounded, and thus the belief that he got his idea after falling out of favour with the Sicilian mafia are sensationalistic embellishments, only backed by Hess' unscheduled early return to Germany and his staunch refusal to speak about the his motives for it.[...]
Let's be honest, his experiences living in Sicily is probably affect his feelings when he..umm... knows about the dissapearance of Mr Sebastiani...
[...]As for Hess' Concentrator Arrays which sprung up during his time collaborating with Sebastiani, they were eventually bought by the wealthy Florio family, which copied the design and started producing it domestically, marking the beginning of a native Italian Solar Industry[...]
I was confused about what @Neoteros said until I reread this part...and we have the second family that is already prominent IOTL (after Isidora's) that will be involved heavily in the solar business...

A chapter that is worthy of a Turtledove I would say...

Last edited:
Hm. I wonder now about energy storage the opposite way--using the concentrators to massively heat a substance and then insulate the hell out of it for storage. Falling particle systems are under investigation now--getting a material that has both a high heat capacity and a high melting point seems to be a challenge. But I wonder if you couldn't combine it with a liquid air battery to squeeze a bit more efficiency out of the combined system--after all, thermodynamic efficiency is a function of the difference in temperature between the hot and cold ends. Molten salt on one side, liquid air on the other?
(EDIT: another possibility is using solar thermal power to make synthetic fuels, but that's unlikely to be competitive with coal or petrol; specialized systems like this would likely see use in places where the emissions-free nature of liquid air batteries make them preferable. Perhaps you could get Otto and Diesel cycle engines outlawed in city centers, resulting in liquid air getting a niche for inner-city transport)

Last edited:
And with the advances from solar being applied to wind, if you have a river or creek with a watermill on your property you could feasibly store and sell energy to your neighbors. Could even jumpstart interest in Tidal Power.

And how soon until someone weaponizes Liquid Air canisters, it could be a pretty horrifying stuff.

Last edited:
Hm. I wonder now about energy storage the opposite way--using the concentrators to massively heat a substance and then insulate the hell out of it for storage. Falling particle systems are under investigation now--getting a material that has both a high heat capacity and a high melting point seems to be a challenge. But I wonder if you couldn't combine it with a liquid air battery to squeeze a bit more efficiency out of the combined system--after all, thermodynamic efficiency is a function of the difference in temperature between the hot and cold ends. Molten salt on one side, liquid air on the other?
(EDIT: another possibility is using solar thermal power to make synthetic fuels, but that's unlikely to be competitive with coal or petrol; specialized systems like this would likely see use in places where the emissions-free nature of liquid air batteries make them preferable. Perhaps you could get Otto and Diesel cycle engines outlawed in city centers, resulting in liquid air getting a niche for inner-city transport)

I'm more than a bit rusty with my thermodynamics, so I couldn't opine on how much efficiency of adding a higher temperature differential. Nevertheless, the liquid air engine would work have something very similar to the Carnot Cycle making the whole thing work.

One difference between a system working with liquid air instead of fuel-air mixtures is that you could pump heat into the pistons to keep them warm (for example, injecting ambient air, or doing some forced convection tricks), increasing the temperature differential and thus the energy extracted on each cycle.

And now I'm worried about how much I've forgotten about thermodynamics. Once I was able to make the whole cycle and even give an estimate of how a liquid air engine would work. It's certainly one of the most useful courses I took in uni.

As for the idea of a thermal battery, I don't know if the concept was explored in the last chapter featuring Mouchot. At least in the timeline bible I'm writing, he's spending this time also tackling the problem of intermittency in the context of Atacama: guaranteed clear skies 99.5% of the time which provide the heat needed to operate a copper foundry.

So, he only needs to last a night before solar power can kick in again, which make losses over time less important. I was thinking that silica - in the form of sand - would be the best initial material, as it has a higher melting point than copper and is easy to obtain. Silicon would be even better because of its higher heat of fusion, but I hesitate to do so too early from a narrative standpoint because it leaves open the possibility for earlier semiconductors in a way that feels too close to a wank.

In more normal environments, I think the idea of a thermal energy storage operating at less extreme temperatures could also work, as it is currently being explored as an alternative to electrical batteries IOTL. The only disadvantage I see over liquid air systems is that they can't act the working fluid themselves, which might make them a bit less efficient.

I should see if there are any thermodynamics textbooks to download, I could use the reading.

Fucking sicilian mafia, makes by blood boil so hard....! That was well written, and hard to read. The payoff with the goons getting horribly frozen to death was satisfying though. The liquid air "battery" is a cool thing indeed. It'll take time to mature and reach its full energy density advantage over Lead-Acid batteries, especially given storage time is limited and you need a big engine as well as the actual storage vessel. Big question is, what is the energy efficiency of the initial air liquefaction system?

Silicon would be even better because of its higher heat of fusion, but I hesitate to do so too early from a narrative standpoint because it leaves open the possibility for earlier semiconductors in a way that feels too close to a wank.
Interesting. Does this actually increase the risk of semiconductors a lot? Since this application would only use silicon for its thermophysical properties with very little if any concern for the material's purity or general chemical properties, I figure it would be believable if this did not result in significant progress in semiconductors which are pretty sensitive chemistry especially with Silicon itself. If photovoltaic research is not butterflied by solar concentrators being that much more mature, I would be much more worried about THOSE resulting in early transistors.

I'm more than a bit rusty with my thermodynamics, so I couldn't opine on how much efficiency of adding a higher temperature differential. Nevertheless, the liquid air engine would work have something very similar to the Carnot Cycle making the whole thing work.

One difference between a system working with liquid air instead of fuel-air mixtures is that you could pump heat into the pistons to keep them warm (for example, injecting ambient air, or doing some forced convection tricks), increasing the temperature differential and thus the energy extracted on each cycle.

And now I'm worried about how much I've forgotten about thermodynamics. Once I was able to make the whole cycle and even give an estimate of how a liquid air engine would work. It's certainly one of the most useful courses I took in uni.

As for the idea of a thermal battery, I don't know if the concept was explored in the last chapter featuring Mouchot. At least in the timeline bible I'm writing, he's spending this time also tackling the problem of intermittency in the context of Atacama: guaranteed clear skies 99.5% of the time which provide the heat needed to operate a copper foundry.

So, he only needs to last a night before solar power can kick in again, which make losses over time less important. I was thinking that silica - in the form of sand - would be the best initial material, as it has a higher melting point than copper and is easy to obtain. Silicon would be even better because of its higher heat of fusion, but I hesitate to do so too early from a narrative standpoint because it leaves open the possibility for earlier semiconductors in a way that feels too close to a wank.

In more normal environments, I think the idea of a thermal energy storage operating at less extreme temperatures could also work, as it is currently being explored as an alternative to electrical batteries IOTL. The only disadvantage I see over liquid air systems is that they can't act the working fluid themselves, which might make them a bit less efficient.

I should see if there are any thermodynamics textbooks to download, I could use the reading.
I don't see the problem. If earlier semiconductors flow logically from how the TL develops, it's fine, I'd guess.

Fucking sicilian mafia, makes by blood boil so hard....! That was well written, and hard to read. The payoff with the goons getting horribly frozen to death was satisfying though. The liquid air "battery" is a cool thing indeed. It'll take time to mature and reach its full energy density advantage over Lead-Acid batteries, especially given storage time is limited and you need a big engine as well as the actual storage vessel. Big question is, what is the energy efficiency of the initial air liquefaction system?

I can't find information of the efficiency of the liquefaction process. The closest I got was a general value of a COP of .05 - .075 for Stirling cryonics, but that number is a vague. This doesn't mesh well with other information, which puts the round trip efficiency of LAES systems at around 50%-60%, which is lower than contemporary Lead Acid batteries (80%), but that efficiency can be significantly improved by recycling the waste heat of the system.

Source

The waste heat of other processes can also be used, which has interesting implications for large scale industries. A foundry could provide enough heat to drive that round trip efficiency to 75%. While my economic sense believes that there wouldn't be a combined foundry-LAES facility, because it'd be inefficient to mix two purposes for the same project, you could see LAES systems incorporated into the foundry as a way to recycle the waste heat and provide cooling where needed, or even provide an auxiliary energy source.

The place where the round trip efficiency is most important appears to be vehicles, as the machine wouldn't have many sources of recyclable heat. This isn't to say it wouldn't be useful as a fuel, because the energy expended would be a sunken cost at that point, and thus unimportant when considering usage.

To not leave the point in the air, liquid air powered vehicles would mix some advantages of fossil fuel vehicles (fast recharging), with some disadvantages of battery-powered vehicles (bulky energy source/fuel). Liquid air could be used in a piston engine, but they seem better suited for turbines. Turbines would be far more efficient, but not as responsive as piston engines, which would make them better suited for farm machinery than cars.

Exploring how LAES would compete with fossil fuels will be interesting. More energy density vs on-site availability wherever there is an exploitable source of power.

Interesting. Does this actually increase the risk of semiconductors a lot? Since this application would only use silicon for its thermophysical properties with very little if any concern for the material's purity or general chemical properties, I figure it would be believable if this did not result in significant progress in semiconductors which are pretty sensitive chemistry especially with Silicon itself. If photovoltaic research is not butterflied by solar concentrators being that much more mature, I would be much more worried about THOSE resulting in early transistors.

The theoretical framework for semiconductors is still unknown, because electrons haven't been discovered yet. And the electronic structure of elements is still several years away (even accounting for butterflies), so it isn't very plausible that the P-N junction could be developed or even accidentally discovered. The most I can see is a better understanding of the electric properties of silicon when a chemist inevitably starts studying how much they can purify it.

Then there's Fritts' photovoltaic cell, which is a working and reproducible device working on the Photovoltaic Effect, and is an early semiconductor. While the device can't be fully explained without a satisfactory model of the atom, it could serve as a hint of what semiconductors can do once the science catches up with the technology.

And having parsed that thought, it's also plausible that semiconductors could come earlier, but it's also plausible that the P-N junction won't be discovered or developed in Chile, as the Franco-Chilena will be focused on other areas instead of a dead end* curiousity . I dislike this idea because I've already gave Chile a boost over OTL, and having my country come up with the electronic revolution after it caused an industrial revolution would be too wankish.

*: The Selenium-Gold panel developed by Fritts is thought to be inferior to Silicon-based photovoltaic panels, even the very early ones. Cove's cells did manage to reach the 5% efficiency of early Silicon-based photovoltaics, but little is known about it.

More on Cove's cell

To not leave the point in the air, liquid air powered vehicles would mix some advantages of fossil fuel vehicles (fast recharging), with some disadvantages of battery-powered vehicles (bulky energy source/fuel). Liquid air could be used in a piston engine, but they seem better suited for turbines. Turbines would be far more efficient, but not as responsive as piston engines, which would make them better suited for farm machinery than cars.
The best point of comparison would seem to be to be fireless locomotives, which work on fairly similar principles (a reservoir of steam/compressed air from an outside source powering an otherwise fairly conventional locomotive). They saw pretty limited use, mainly in applications where there was either a ready source of steam for other reasons or where a conventional fuel-burning locomotive would have presented issues for safety or health reasons (such as working in confined spaces or with flammable atmospheres or materials around). I expect a liquid air system would, for transport use, have similarly limited applications. There's just too much disadvantage in the weight and bulk of the energy storage at this point in time.

I am not sure how relevant this is but Karl Ferdinand Braun invented and demonstrated semiconductor diodes in 1874, using point contacts and crystals of metal sulfides for his first diodes.

The place where the round trip efficiency is most important appears to be vehicles, as the machine wouldn't have many sources of recyclable heat. This isn't to say it wouldn't be useful as a fuel, because the energy expended would be a sunken cost at that point, and thus unimportant when considering usage.

Exploring how LAES would compete with fossil fuels will be interesting. More energy density vs on-site availability wherever there is an exploitable source of power.
Other place where it may be used are some industrial, narrow-gauge, or metro railways
-bulkyness: its easier to put large reservoir and turbine into ral engine than into automobile
-turbine being less responsive than piston engine also would have less negative effect when driving on tracks than for example city streets
Also LAES have advantage over "fossil heatng steam" everywhere where fire hazard or air quality would be problem, mostly in enclosed spaces, like mentioned metro or mine railways.

Other place where it may be used are some industrial, narrow-gauge, or metro railways
-bulkyness: its easier to put large reservoir and turbine into ral engine than into automobile
-turbine being less responsive than piston engine also would have less negative effect when driving on tracks than for example city streets
Also LAES have advantage over "fossil heatng steam" everywhere where fire hazard or air quality would be problem, mostly in enclosed spaces, like mentioned metro or mine railways.
You can also use fireless locomotives there, which was popular IOTL for industrial railways and briefly for city railways (before being replaced by cable cars and electric trains). The relative balance will probably depend on how rapidly liquid air systems spread for industrial applications, because part of the appeal of fireless locomotives was that industrial sites typically had boilers for various industrial purposes already, so it was comparatively easy to make them a bit larger to provide steam for the locomotives as well. If liquid air systems proliferate, something similar might be the case.

One issue I see is with the turbine, though. Turbines generally proved to be infeasible for use on terrestrial vehicles, instead being confined to marine and aerial applications. I don't think the advent of liquid air will change this much. So I think that liquid air energy storage will mainly be limited to fixed applications--which is hardly nothing, in fact it is a great deal of something. But I don't think it will make much difference for transport.

I am not sure how relevant this is but Karl Ferdinand Braun invented and demonstrated semiconductor diodes in 1874, using point contacts and crystals of metal sulfides for his first diodes.
That's a cat's whisker, yeah. They were using those in radiotelegraphy for decades before anyone had enough understanding of the quantum effects at work to take the next step.

Personally, I'm more partial to Oleg Losev if you're looking for earlier solid state electronics--not early transistors, but he did make a negative resistance diode that could be used for an amplifier. First LED too.

Visual Document IV: The Aeromotor Generator in the US (ca. 1910 - 1940)
Aeromotor 1.jpg

Farmer family reunion, with a Liquid Air Aeromotor in the background, circa 1915. Location unknown

Aeromotor 2.jpg

Foreclosured farm with an Aerogenerator in disrepair, at the height of the Hygroscopic Crisis, ca. 1922. Somewhere in Arkansas.

Aeromotor 3.jpg

Heavy duty Aerogenerator next to an oil-burning truck, circa 1932. Oil Burners were rare during the rebound after the Hygroscopic Crisis, but they had a niche as long-range heavy haulers, and militaries invested heavily in the research and development of these vehicles.

Last edited: