Run First

Chapter One Hundred and Two
"Senator Koch, you voted in favor of Buckley's Tax Relief and Balance Act. Can you clarify your reasons?"

"I voted in favor because I believed-then and now-that it was what's best for the people. I won't apologize for trying to help make conditions better for the people here in New York State, even if that may disappoint some people."

"Senator, I don't think you have any right to lecture anyone on bettering conditions after having worsened the problems of corruption in New York Cit-"

"Congresswoman, this issue has been resolve-"

"No, it has not, Senator, this issue hasn't been resolved."

-Ed Koch and Geraldine Ferraro (1982)

portrait-of-american-politician-james-l-buckley-sharon-connecticut-picture-id485766993

President Buckley at his desk at Camp David on a working weekend

Chapter One Hundred and Four
"Leonid Brezhnev, Secretary-General of the USSR, has passed..."

-John Chancellor (1982)

"It was supposed to be an easy transition for [Yuri] Andropov. He was the KGB Chairman, after all. He was going to address the Politburo, but he was looking flushed and started complaining about pains. Eventually, he couldn't get up, so he was hospitalized. Officially, of course, he simply had 'personal matters' he needed to resolve. In came [Pyotr] Demichev."

-Andrei Gromyko (1982)

Chapter One Hundred and Fiev
"He started speaking about Buckley's imperialism, about ending the mujahidin in Afghanistan. He essentially vowed to 'crush the counter-revolutionary forces by any means available and necessary.' it was almost like an attack on Leonid, but the Politburo loved it."

-
Andrei Gromyko (1982)

"Today, Secretary General Demichev has announced a 'reorganization' within the Soviet ranks: Dmitry Ustinov was dismissed as Defense Minister, and was replaced by his fellow Marshal of the Soviet Union, Chief of the General Staff Nikolai Ogarkov. Finance Minister Vasily Garbuzov was replaced by Vasily Starodubtsev. Foreign Minister Andrei Gromyko was replaced by Valentin Pavlov."

-Tom Brokaw (1982)

"It was supposed to be an easy transition for [Yuri] Andropov. He was the KGB Chairman, after all. He was going to address the Politburo, but he was looking flushed and started complaining about pains. Eventually, he couldn't get up, so he was hospitalized. Officially, of course, he simply had 'personal matters' he needed to resolve. In came [Pyotr] Demichev."
I wonder who's this guy is.
*One Wikipédia Check-up Later*
... Oh jeez. A hardliner. This is going to be fun. I wonder (again) how he will react to Able Acher '83...

"Today, Secretary General Demichev has announced a 'reorganization' within the Soviet ranks: Dmitry Ustinov was dismissed as Defense Minister, and was replaced by his fellow Marshal of the Soviet Union, Chief of the General Staff Nikolai Ogarkov. Finance Minister Vasily Garbuzov was replaced by Vasily Starodubtsev. Foreign Minister Andrei Gromyko was replaced by Valentin Pavlov."
Well... It's beginning.

Chapter One Hundred and Six
"Ogarkov launched a complete overhaul of the Soviet military-the 90th Guards Tank Division was decommissioned, a review was conducted of the entire officer corps. Ogarkov favored compactness, technological advancement in place of sheer numerical size. Demichev saw what the war was doing to the Soviet economy, and agreed with Ogarkov's doctrine.

"The effectiveness of the reforms would be tested out in southeast Afghanistan-infantry armored and mechanized with new technology provided by heavily-funded research projects, backed up by retrained air squadrons, barraged supply lines from Pakistan, assaulted caverns, and essentially used maximum force against any perceived mujahideen presence."