Religious map

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Tomislav Addai, May 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

Anyone want to the rest of Kazakhstan?

2. Klime Member

upload_2017-10-12_5-41-43.png
    There you go.

3. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

Did some India
    upload_2017-10-12_17-13-32.png

Miner and Klime like this.
  4. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

5. FrankCesco Well-Known Member

Are coptics those in south of India?

6. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

Yes, they are Saint T homas Christians, most are Oriental Orthodox, so yes. Based upon Indian census, which doesnt differentiate between Catholics and Orthodox, lathough according to wikipedia most Christians in the state of Kerala are Syriac

7. FrankCesco Well-Known Member

I am interested on how did you get the data for coptics, I am making a map showing oriental orthodox people and I couldn't find any data for coptics for India.

8. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

upload_2017-10-12_22-59-1.png
    Added Rajasthan and Sikkim. Unfortunatley, according to 2011, there is no census division with a Jain majority :(
    Source of my India data: http://www.census2011.co.in/religion.php. I click on each state, district and town to see who is majority where. The census speaks of six categories:
    • Hindus
    • Muslims
    • Christians
    • Buddhists
    • Jains
    • Sikhs
    • Others.
    Based on geographic context and wikipedia data, I managed to guess more info. The Christians in Kerala are in a variety of churches, and I arbitrarily chose to show them as Oriental Orthodox, despite existence of Catholic and Protestant factions as well. Anyhow, the area shown in Kerala should most accurately show areas with a Christian plurality or majority.

Klime, Miner and FrankCesco like this.
  9. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

Tamil Nadu and minor corrections in Punjab
    upload_2017-10-13_11-13-5.png
    quite a lot of Muslims in Tamil, surprised to find out. The southrnmost district was very close to getting a Christian plurality, btw

Albireo, Miner and Klime like this.
  10. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

After finishing India I ll move onto Nepal and SE Asia... is there anyone willing to do the native Americans in Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia,according to Muturzikin?

11. Lampiao Well-Known Member

Interesting maps. As for Brazil, if your base map only includes states, the country will be a boring yellow blob. I personally don't think that it would be interesting to make a map for municipalities specifically for the purpose of the this thread, as you'll only get a handful of blue dots in a yellow sea. However, if you're willing to, I can look further into the census for the data about the municipalities.

12. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

Did Tripura and Uttar Pradesh... those Muslims there really have to live in so many enclaves that it took for ages to map them. Also added Shia in Kazakhstan and corrected Shia/Sunni divisions of northern India... some day Ill finish off India.
    upload_2017-10-16_15-52-27.png

Sea and Miner like this.
  13. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

Before doing municipalities I propose setting aside areas of indigenous culture and native reservations, and after that figuring out the municipalities.

14. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

And I'll add that living in an indigenous territory does not equate to practicing an indigenous religion. WP at least says that Brazil's indigenous people are 81% Christian. The US maps in this thread are quite incorrect for this reason.

Prof_Chemical likes this.