Red Dawn remake finally coming out?

It took long enough, but the Red Dawn remake originally scheduled for last year is finally coming out, according to the Los Angeles Times. An independent studio called Film District will handle the distribution, not MGM. First MGM's financial woes prevented the film's release, then the studio insisted on changing the invaders from Chinese to North Koreans, so as not to anger the ChiComs and enable MGM's access to the Chinese market.

So, if the L.A. Times piece is accurate, the dawn will rise in 2012. Maybe.

Here's a link to the story:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mov...-to-come-out-next-year-from-filmdistrict.html

NK

North Korea?:eek::eek: Seriously, and what exactly happens to the USAA, USN, USAF, and the Marines? What is this a movie made for 'Homefront' the game?

Sumeragi

Banned
As far as I know, the DPRKers are the frontline troops, meaning they're part of this coalition or something.

Also, Homefront's backstory is more realistic than almost all of the FPS games out there.

Also, Homefront's backstory is more realistic than almost all of the FPS games out there.

That's because almost all FPS games have the player fighting completely fictional enemies. The only thing Homefront has going for it is that North Korea actually exists.

The invaders were digitally changed from Chinese to North Koreans. MGM honchos ordered the changes when the studio emerged from bankruptcy, so as to preserve MGM's access to the Chinese movie market.

The invaders were digitally changed from Chinese to North Koreans. MGM honchos ordered the changes when the studio emerged from bankruptcy, so as to preserve MGM's access to the Chinese movie market.

But it's not being released by MGM anymore, so...

As far as I know, the DPRKers are the frontline troops, meaning they're part of this coalition or something.

...Right...

So how does an EMP magically take out the EMP hardened US military again?

...Right...

It's a super-duper EMP based on alien technology stolen from Area 51.

Anyway, if the implications that the North Koreans are merely serving as auxiliaries for some evil Chinese alliance or something, well, that's at least marginally more sensible than Kim Jong-un annexing South Korea by apparently just asking them very nicely. However it ends up, though, I hope at least the filmmakers will have the decency to show the North Koreans as not being cartoonishly evil commie-nazis like Homefront did. But it's a remake of a Reaganite propaganda film, so what am I talking about.

...Right...

Well we were going through a plague, state session, and famine at the time. Maybe the US army's budget was slashed?

I know the plot was ridiculous, but if I were given the job of writing a "North Korea invades US" storyline, Homefront's plotline would be the best I could do.

Yeah. Also, while the plot may seem impossible to us history nerds, it is plausible in the minds of many, many people who know nothing about history.

Besides that though, I've played the game all the way through and it seems very good in my opinion. The story was good (Besides the ASB universe its in). I actually was tearing up a bit during the part when they find the mass graves in the football field.

Sumeragi

Banned
...Right...

The US has fallen to the point that interstate conflicts are occurring, millions are affected by some new flu, infrastructure is total C**P..... I can see that happening, IF the economy crashed that hard.

Yeah. Also, while the plot may seem impossible to us history nerds, it is plausible in the minds of many, many people who know nothing about history.
I'm one to say that the history nerds is too self-satisfied with themselves to see the way :p

Just a question: Has anyone read the entire IG news articles which tells you what happened until the setting of the game?

What happened to just making a remake as it was originally conceived? Ya know, the whole Russo-Cuban-Nicaraguan invasion effort of the original? Hell, the Chinese were US allies in that one.

Either this suggests China is even worse than I thought it was or that MGM has a very low opinion of the Chinese people.

As long as they present the North Koreans as occupation troops and not the actual frontline invaders (eg it is hinted that the Chinese/Russians are the ones fighting on the front) like Romania or Bulgaria in World War II, then I will be willing to swallow it.

Either this suggests China is even worse than I thought it was or that MGM has a very low opinion of the Chinese people.

As long as they present the North Koreans as occupation troops and not the actual frontline invaders (eg it is hinted that the Chinese/Russians are the ones fighting on the front) like Romania or Bulgaria in World War II, then I will be willing to swallow it.

Not so much Bulgaria, but the Romanians had whole armies fighting on the front lines. The encirclement of Stalingrad IIRC, took the Soviets right through Romanian formations.

That's because almost all FPS games have the player fighting completely fictional enemies. The only thing Homefront has going for it is that North Korea actually exists.

Though to be fair North Korea does look like something made up for a bad techno thriller.

Why not use the EU? We're not nearly as easily offended as the Chinese, we're actually a potential superpower instead of a third world nation which can't feed itself and it's a hell of a lot more plausible, at least militarily.