Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Screen_Shot_2023-02-01_at_6.53.20_AM_copy-3_copy_17.png

And Inca and their immediate neighbours that I found.

The maker says on the Coast of Venezuela and into Equador was the Sindaguas Confederacy. Not sure if they should be on the Northernmost coast of the map or if they should just off the map in Equador.

But you can read on them in Spanish wikipedia to be sure of borders.

https://www.persee.fr/doc/cea_0008-0055_1976_num_16_63_2519 Article about the babalia kingdom in chad (french)
https://www.persee.fr/doc/outre_0300-9513_1981_num_68_250_2313 Article about the Bedaya (sara) kingdom(s?) in chad (French)
Map of the sara homeland
Map of the sara homeland
outre_0300-9513_1981_num_68_250_T1_0425_0000_1.png
Map of Sara kingdoms/subdivisions
outre_0300-9513_1981_num_68_250_T1_0426_0000_1.png

The second picture, each town in the second picture is the centre of a small Sara state, starting from at least the late 1700s.

Last edited:
image.png

March 4, 1929: Herbert Hoover is inaugurated as US president
Nice. I most especially like the USSR borders. We've long lacked decent internal maps of the Russian SFSR before the late 30s, so this is much appreciated.
The border between Durham and Northumberland is missing. Again.
Because this problem seems to crop up again and again without being fixed, despite multiple alerts about it, here is the map of England with the border between Durham and Northumberland prior to 1974 filled in.

dg1bdmo-76f642a3-1d2d-460a-8386-9a676c854428.png
dg1bdx3-a54800d4-b645-4380-b308-610045b3e6bf.png
dg1be1r-d8f2cc94-0284-4b9a-a0af-9ccf55662e09.png
dg1be4w-a8168bab-40c6-43d0-8cec-dcbd0662b571.png
dg1begy-d03acfb7-f1fe-4e3f-a12f-894b68e890ed.png

Last edited:
Do we have a database for all of the Historical maps posted here? Trying to find one for the later 7th and 8th centuries

Should we put the Kalmar Union as a singular state, similar to Austria Hungary, or keep them separate and represent it in some other way?

Should we put the Kalmar Union as a singular state, similar to Austria Hungary, or keep them separate and represent it in some other way?
According to Wikipedia: "Legally, the countries (i.e. Denmark, Sweden, and Norway) remained separate sovereign states. However, their domestic and foreign policies were directed by a common monarch."

According to Wikipedia: "Legally, the countries (i.e. Denmark, Sweden, and Norway) remained separate sovereign states. However, their domestic and foreign policies were directed by a common monarch."
The Austro-Hungarian Compromise also stablished that "Austria and Hungary do not form a common sovereign territory in international law. (Ie. Kingdom of Hungary and Empire of Austria were different countries) Thus regarding to [...] peace treaties, the Empire of Austria and Kingdom of Hungary had to act independently as independent countries" + the "dual monarchy" consisted of the Emperor-King, and the common ministers of foreign affairs, defence, and a finance ministry only for expenditures of the Common Army.

Crazy Boris

Banned
The Austro-Hungarian Compromise also stablished that "Austria and Hungary do not form a common sovereign territory in international law. (Ie. Kingdom of Hungary and Empire of Austria were different countries) Thus regarding to [...] peace treaties, the Empire of Austria and Kingdom of Hungary had to act independently as independent countries" + the "dual monarchy" consisted of the Emperor-King, and the common ministers of foreign affairs, defence, and a finance ministry only for expenditures of the Common Army.

AH was a dual monarchy, not a personal union. Austria and Hungary were effectively two largely self-governing parts of a single state, but still had a shared administration in some areas, whereas the three kingdoms of the Kalmar Union had no institutions in common except their three (legally distinct) crowns just happening to (usually) be shared by the same king.

Maybe show the borders but have color shading to mark the union? I dunno.
AH was a dual monarchy, not a personal union. Austria and Hungary were effectively two largely self-governing parts of a single state, but still had a shared administration in some areas, whereas the three kingdoms of the Kalmar Union had no institutions in common except their three (legally distinct) crowns just happening to (usually) be shared by the same king.
With all that said, where do we draw the line in them being 1 entity and 2 entities in a personal union? I'm also thinking about other states such as Poland and Lithuania between 1386-1526, the UK of Great Britain (before they added Ireland), pre-1707 Spain, the Soviet Union, and any other states that this would apply to