Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Christory Well-Known Member

Crying likes this.
  2. Alex Richards A mapper I, from near Dar-bai. Donor

It's Rosenburg. He was something of an outlier in that he had a 'we should create puppet states out the Soviet Union' mentality.

It was never seriously considered by Hitler AFAIK.

xsampa, TheReformer and DrWalpurgis like this.
  3. Monter Well-Known Member

Why does Burma owns Bengal and the Seven Sisters?

xmoose likes this.
  4. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Ask Imperial Japan. The Axis in general had some weird plans and arbitrary borders.

5. Messalian Liberation Theologian

New England, satellite of Greater La Plata
    Perhaps he took a page out of the West's book and figured that, if the borders were arbitrary enough, the people there would be too busy fighting each other to oppose the power that inflicted the borders on them in the first place.

Tamara, Swede, El_Presidente and 3 others like this.
  6. Monter Well-Known Member

I was asking for a source, couldn't find anywhere about Japan designing Bengal for Burma, infact the small tract of land they reached in India was "assigned" for Bosi's Azad Hind, not the Burma State.

Miner, Crying, AUGGP and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

AH_Empire.png
    Although Austria-Hungary never had any serious overseas colonies beyond their concession in Tianjin, there were many who expressed an interest in developing them. Colonial concepts included:

* The Nicobar Islands- Austria attempted to colonize them no less than 3 times (1778, 1858, 1886). Gottfried Stahl's original expedition was initially the most successful, but after Stahl's death in 1783, the Austrian colonists were less confident about settlement attempts and left two years later. The second was marred by the Austrian government's decision against it, and the third was undone by the British taking them.
    * Rio de Oro- After being humiliated in the Spanish-American War, Spain tried to distance itself from its colonies and offered the whole of Rio de Oro to Austria-Hungary's Colonial Society. While they helped garner support for the idea in the Imperial Council and Emperor Franz Joseph was in favor of it, the decision was ultimately blocked by the Hungarian House of Magnates.
    * North Borneo- German-Austrian Baron Gustav von Overbeck purchased land from the Sultanates of Sulu and Brunei in 1878, which he offered to Austria-Hungary, Germany, Italy, and the UK. Due to a lack of interest, he sold it to Alfred Dent, who went on to form the British North Borneo Company in 1880. One year later, the British Government purchased it from him.
    * East Africa- Many surveyors, scientists, explorers, and merchants proposed Austria-Hungary establish a colony here in order to gain a port in the Indian Ocean. Austria-Hungary was invited to the Berlin Conference, but made no claims of their own in Africa.
    * Franz-Josef Land- An Austrian expedition explored here in the early 1870's. There isn't much here in terms of economic benefit, but that hasn't stopped other empires in the past.

CountofDooku, daimler, Swede and 20 others like this.
  8. Imperator Frank Tellurian Worldbuilder

Neat concept, i wonder who would keep the colonies if A-H collapsed.

Swede and Bomster like this.
  9. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

The French would take Rio de Oro, the Italians might take Austrian East Africa, the British would take most everything else.

10. Spiritual Sausage Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

How many Germans would even live there?

Bomster likes this.
  12. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

At the time, there were a fair amount of Banat Germans there. I once heard of the country proposed as a sort of Balkan Switzerland.

Swede, GermanDjinn and Bomster like this.
  13. The British Empire Not A Well-Known Member

Bumese tube stations, anyone?

14. Spiritual Sausage Well-Known Member

according to wikipedia:
    this is correct too, it's a very interesting period in history and I'd love to see someone do a TL or somesuch for it in the future.

Here's the wiki article with more of the details on it

15. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

There was also a recent map in the map thread with a bit on it, when the Germans helped carve up Hungary.

Spiritual Sausage likes this.
  16. Crying Your ideology is shit, SHIIIIIIIIT

Bukovina was sometimes called a 'Switzerland of the East' due to the amount of ethnicities peacefully cohabiting there, I believe.

Swede and Spiritual Sausage like this.
  17. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

18. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Well, by that one general, according to the map. It didn't seem to get anywhere. Honestly, if this were to happen and be prolonged I would see the Helvetien area here changing their name to Schweiz, as their would be no point to keeping their name Latin when the speakers of French, Ladin, and Italian are mostly no longer with them with them. Though both the yellow and purple areas here would be geographically half German speaking. Ahhh, so many reasons this plan wouldn't work. I am mostly interested in if Napoleon would have tried sticking a king anywhere or to give land to neighboring states. Given the amount of highly skilled mercenaries the mountains and valleys had, it might be rather important. Though wouldn't be surprised if he did what he did IOTL, which declare their natural state as being semi-anarchy, and to place himself as their head of state.

Swede, Crying and Analytical Engine like this.
  19. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

Given how Napoleon was all about installing his family members and best buddies as monarchs, I'm surprised he didn't install one of them as the King of Helvetica. I can only assume that Napoleon just wasn't that crazy.

Aqua817 likes this.
  20. Aqua817 The Means of Production

Honestly, at that point, youre better off just dissolving switzerland in general rather than fral with the fallout of...that