Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Banatia.png

How many Germans would even live there?
according to wikipedia:
The region was home to 1.58 million people; of them, 592,049 (37.42%) were Romanian, 387,545 (24.50%) were Swabian or other German, 284,329 (17.97%) were Serbs, and 242,152 (15.31%) Hungarian, with 4.8% belonging to "fourteen smaller ethnic groups". 855,852 (54.10%) belonged to the Eastern Orthodox churches, while 591,447 (37.38%) were Catholics.
At the time, there were a fair amount of Banat Germans there. I once heard of the country proposed as a sort of Balkan Switzerland.
this is correct too, it's a very interesting period in history and I'd love to see someone do a TL or somesuch for it in the future.

Here's the wiki article with more of the details on it

I have just learned about this:

1024px-Karte_Helvetik_2.png
Well, by that one general, according to the map. It didn't seem to get anywhere. Honestly, if this were to happen and be prolonged I would see the Helvetien area here changing their name to Schweiz, as their would be no point to keeping their name Latin when the speakers of French, Ladin, and Italian are mostly no longer with them with them. Though both the yellow and purple areas here would be geographically half German speaking. Ahhh, so many reasons this plan wouldn't work. I am mostly interested in if Napoleon would have tried sticking a king anywhere or to give land to neighboring states. Given the amount of highly skilled mercenaries the mountains and valleys had, it might be rather important. Though wouldn't be surprised if he did what he did IOTL, which declare their natural state as being semi-anarchy, and to place himself as their head of state.

Well, by that one general, according to the map. It didn't seem to get anywhere. Honestly, if this were to happen and be prolonged I would see the Helvetien area here changing their name to Schweiz, as their would be no point to keeping their name Latin when the speakers of French, Ladin, and Italian are mostly no longer with them with them. Though both the yellow and purple areas here would be geographically half German speaking. Ahhh, so many reasons this plan wouldn't work. I am mostly interested in if Napoleon would have tried sticking a king anywhere or to give land to neighboring states. Given the amount of highly skilled mercenaries the mountains and valleys had, it might be rather important. Though wouldn't be surprised if he did what he did IOTL, which declare their natural state as being semi-anarchy, and to place himself as their head of state.

Given how Napoleon was all about installing his family members and best buddies as monarchs, I'm surprised he didn't install one of them as the King of Helvetica. I can only assume that Napoleon just wasn't that crazy.

If only Russia could do that too...
To be fair, the land they don't currently have doesn't have the most Russians anyways, outside of some frontier areas or places where there were massive population 'exchanges' during Soviet times. I think of it like Prussia during the Napoleonic Wars. People might say Napoleon was unfair to them as stolen half their land, when outside of a couple small areas on the Rhine, all the stuff they lost was things they seized from Poland or swallowed up from neighboring German states.

To be fair, the land they don't currently have doesn't have the most Russians anyways, outside of some frontier areas or places where there were massive population 'exchanges' during Soviet times. I think of it like Prussia during the Napoleonic Wars. People might say Napoleon was unfair to them as stolen half their land, when outside of a couple small areas on the Rhine, all the stuff they lost was things they seized from Poland or swallowed up from neighboring German states.

Not exactly.

he95lygtyxzsO991nzsXFX-4pQbpfxx5tw3Sjz20NJ0.png

Even if you're just taking Russians into account rather than the full East Slavic group (the equivalent of looking at New Englanders rather than Americans as a whole):

A55E1980-6A61-4A55-9C0D-05B27BC1DA87.gif

e33ae06070ff9d6c1b1eeadafffca5ef.png

1000px-Russian_language_status_and_proficiency_in_the_World.svg.png

Not exactly.

he95lygtyxzsO991nzsXFX-4pQbpfxx5tw3Sjz20NJ0.png

Even if you're just taking Russians into account rather than the full East Slavic group (the equivalent of looking at New Englanders rather than Americans as a whole):

A55E1980-6A61-4A55-9C0D-05B27BC1DA87.gif

e33ae06070ff9d6c1b1eeadafffca5ef.png

1000px-Russian_language_status_and_proficiency_in_the_World.svg.png
The Russian annexation of Crimea and subsequent invasion of Donetsk and Luhansk has strongly reinforced the Ukrainian national, ethnic, and linguistic identity as one distinct and separate from Russian, I would hardly say it's accurate to call Ukraine the New England to Russia's USA.

Also, Ukrainian is only partially mutually intelligible with Russian, Ukraine is its own country, and has long portions of its history as being separate from Russia. None of this is true of New England and the US.

Vuu

Banned
The Russian annexation of Crimea and subsequent invasion of Donetsk and Luhansk has strongly reinforced the Ukrainian national, ethnic, and linguistic identity as one distinct and separate from Russian, I would hardly say it's accurate to call Ukraine the New England to Russia's USA.

You do have to take into account how ephemeral identities can be, tho