Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Bennett Human Time-Waster

To make up for a couple non-proposals, here's a Worlda cover of Robert Wright's How Five Could Become Fourteen, from a couple pages back:
    how_five_could_become_fourteen.png

2. Crazy Boris Cool Dood

So... what happens to that area of Mesopotamia sandwiched between the crescent, kurdistan, persia and "northern tribal area"?

Analytical Engine likes this.
  3. Bennett Human Time-Waster

Dunno, cast into the void prolly.

4. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

if we're being generous, it could be some kind of archaeological preservation zone--iirc Babylon is in that area (and so is Baghdad, which--again, if we're being generous--would work as a send-up to the Islamic Golden Age even if alot of the city from back then isn't around anymore, and that's not a comment on the War on Terror)

5. Crying Your ideology is shit, SHIIIIIIIIT

I vaguely remember reading that one, actually, and I don't think it was meant to be a proposal for how the Middle East should be divided so much as it was an attempt to show the contemporary 'cultural zones' - something to keep in mind for how one could go about dividing the area, rather than a map of how it should look after division.

I mean, do you seriously think someone was arguing Egypt should be cut up into 3/4 states like that?

6. Wendell Wendell

@Bennett historically, the Volga German ASSR bordered Kazakhstan.

7. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Tough on the Norwegians. Always a bad sign when there is a map based on the plans of a supremely powerful dictator for moving massive amounts of water and dirt. With your own dirt being noticeably absent...

8. Albidoom Fuzzy Thing

Found on Reddit:

armenia5c.jpg

9. Suvareshkin Well-Known Member

Translation of the top, from Russian:
    Armenia--Country of gods, country of Adam, Eve, and Noah. Armenia is eternal like the Earth.

10. Skallagrim Not the one from YouTube. Different other fellow.

6/10. What a low effort Armenia. Sure, it has Cyprus, but does it have Gibraltar? I don't think so. Does it have Alsace-Lorraine? Wouldn't count on it. I bet this sorry excuse for an Armenia doesn't even have a trans-continental railroad.

11. LSCatilina Vassican Labosiotos Vergagnatos

12. LSCatilina Vassican Labosiotos Vergagnatos

13. Thanosaekk Well-Known Member

1. Wouldn't this be very bad design? Despite them being in a union, IMO it is an awful idea to have each country control a long strip of land when it is not necessary, due to administration issues. Wouldn't it be better to have many centralized blobs?
    2. That flag is giving me flashbacks to that horrible EU flag proposal...

14. LSCatilina Vassican Labosiotos Vergagnatos

The 1920's were a weird place.

15. Thanosaekk Well-Known Member

Also, I want to congratulate the genius that thought that a Serbian-Albanian Union would be just fine and that, while Thrace is too much for Greece, they can reclaim Magna Graecia.

16. Drex Alférez de caballería

17. Baconheimer Berserker of Chaos

Former Confederate Republic of Virginia (FCROV)
  18. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

Shh, you're not supposed to question it... :winkytongue:

CountofDooku likes this.
  19. Thon Taddeo Well-Known Member

Should thread marks be created to help prevent reposts?

Albidoom, John_Smith and Zagan like this.
  20. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

The ethnicities are already there. It is not as though this is some ASSR which is made to have 98% of one group. Here everyone lives in peace and harmony as arguments are made over why Vienna is named after the patron Saint of Hungary, and why Jews are all deported (yet still a part of the union) and how Sicilians and Appulians (or the ones form the toe, rather than heel) count as Greeks. And is that Spanish Sardinia? Alright, I can see what some of the many problems you had were. The bloody buggers even took Bornholm from Denmark. And I just realized The Hebrew Reich is classified as Slavs.

I recall some images being posted five or six times, a few within days or pages of each other. I think for ones like the one above we can let it slide, as it is a good one we can get discussion out of. I would say most of the current maps from Strange Mapss have already been posted, though. Certainly would like to see some of the old ones, though. Form before they moved to Big Think.

Luminous likes this.